Character Strategy: Commander Luke Skywalker

Replies

• GA_Phoenix
    368 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    What for an powercreep. Hope his basespeed will be low/moderate like most of the empire attackers

Chaze under CLS (L) will be more anoying then before. Perfect, that was exactly the thing most of us players wanted .... NOT ;P

Now, we need more chars with AOE-Daze. xD
  • Im not happy with having to 7☆ a character that I literally only have 9 total shards for(& happens to be only 1 of 8 toons I havent unlocked) but hey, its something new. My only real complaint is how EA/CAPITAL has chosen the easy route once again; dropping a newer, more OP toon instead of balancing the game more. Strong characters are great, but CLS is kinda ridiculous. They keep pushing everything more & more out of reach. Newer ship all require multiple characters now. HAAT Raid was light years more difficult than anything before it. Since last summer the OP Duo-style characters are the standard, needing not one but 2parts to make a whole...twice the gear & effort. Thankfully the entire team sales experiment with Phoenix didnt really work, but theyre still holding to this HEROIC character treasure hunt to unlock these new Meta toons like Thrawn & now CLS so maybe it did workout. Throw in thebfact that the new characters have not one, but 2 & now 3 Zetas & its a recipe for time control. Were nothing but little drug addicts with our arms out begging for a hit. I dont think smack addicts go to the trouble we do each day to get their fix!
  • JJay
    368 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    EasyRight wrote: »
    Im not happy with having to 7☆ a character that I literally only have 9 total shards for(& happens to be only 1 of 8 toons I havent unlocked) but hey, its something new. My only real complaint is how EA/CAPITAL has chosen the easy route once again; dropping a newer, more OP toon instead of balancing the game more. Strong characters are great, but CLS is kinda ridiculous. They keep pushing everything more & more out of reach. Newer ship all require multiple characters now. HAAT Raid was light years more difficult than anything before it. Since last summer the OP Duo-style characters are the standard, needing not one but 2parts to make a whole...twice the gear & effort. Thankfully the entire team sales experiment with Phoenix didnt really work, but theyre still holding to this HEROIC character treasure hunt to unlock these new Meta toons like Thrawn & now CLS so maybe it did workout. Throw in thebfact that the new characters have not one, but 2 & now 3 Zetas & its a recipe for time control. Were nothing but little drug addicts with our arms out begging for a hit. I dont think smack addicts go to the trouble we do each day to get their fix!

I think it's an insane requirement too, they also never mentioned anything when the first gave the news of "Hero's" journey, just Luke shards.

Post edited by JJay on
  • Would have been great to have gotten a head start on old Ben, 14 out of 80. I've been wanting Luke since he was announced, I guess waiting another year won't be so bad if I delete the game.
  • It's a Rebel Thrawn in some respects!
  • will luke unlock as a 5 or 7* character?

7* as you require 7* characters to get him, hes super special so you either get him at his best or not at all
  • wantowan2 wrote: »
    Cool toon, event sucks. Who wants old Ben and farmboy? Junk.

Rework incoming though
  • Looks like Old Ben finally got/will get the taunt he needs!

He's so slow though. He'll just get dispelled and be right back to Old Man Standing Around Watching.

Depends how he gets taunt, since his unique can gain a zeta then theres a good chance he wont need a turn to taunt rather some other method like if Luke takes damage...
  • Jordy_Rain wrote: »
    Jordy_Rain wrote: »
    Do you seriously think it's a good idea to release an amazing character but force 4 random required characters that not everyone has, with such short notice that no one can turn around and have them in time? This is ridiculous. After almost a year of playing... I'm seriously considering quitting.

Explain how this is different from every other legendary release?

2 reasons.
    1. Before thrawn, every legendary had reasonable asks. Jedi, rebels, Empire... these are all reasonable with lots of options available. Here we need 4 ve4y specific characters, a couple of which are useless, even for raids. Thrawn was **** I think everyone agrees... you can watch the many videos on YouTube showing ppl's rage to find that Phoenix were required. But at least you can get a 5* or 6* thrown, which brings me to my second reason..
    2. At 7*, you either get him or you dont. No way to play with him until the event comes back. Again.. I wouldn't mind if you needed a certain faction.. but to say these 4 characters at 7*.. it's ridiculous.

Ppl who have been playing for years and have the gotta catch am all syndrome are all loving this... but it's not good for the game. It's not good for early game or mid game players. Again, late gamers are the ones who benefit. I bet you are rooting for ugnaut and gamorian guard to unlock JKL. Ppl will start quitting and less ppl will start playing you watch.

I'm guessing you don't raid much. Leia, STHan and to a lesser extent Raid Han and Luke have been used in raids to varying degrees. Using old Ben and his AOE ability block can come in handy, but not a go to toon.

I raid plenty. I have Leia. She was one of my first 7*s. Old Ben and St Han are useless. Show me one meta team with either of them.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Do you seriously think it's a good idea to release an amazing character but force 4 random required characters that not everyone has, with such short notice that no one can turn around and have them in time? This is ridiculous. After almost a year of playing... I'm seriously considering quitting.

2 reasons.
    1. Before thrawn, every legendary had reasonable asks. Jedi, rebels, Empire... these are all reasonable with lots of options available. Here we need 4 ve4y specific characters, a couple of which are useless, even for raids. Thrawn was **** I think everyone agrees... you can watch the many videos on YouTube showing ppl's rage to find that Phoenix were required. But at least you can get a 5* or 6* thrown, which brings me to my second reason..
    2. At 7*, you either get him or you dont. No way to play with him until the event comes back. Again.. I wouldn't mind if you needed a certain faction.. but to say these 4 characters at 7*.. it's ridiculous.

Ppl who have been playing for years and have the gotta catch am all syndrome are all loving this... but it's not good for the game. It's not good for early game or mid game players. Again, late gamers are the ones who benefit. I bet you are rooting for ugnaut and gamorian guard to unlock JKL. Ppl will start quitting and less ppl will start playing you watch.

I'm guessing you don't raid much. Leia, STHan and to a lesser extent Raid Han and Luke have been used in raids to varying degrees. Using old Ben and his AOE ability block can come in handy, but not a go to toon.

I raid plenty. I have Leia. She was one of my first 7*s. Old Ben and St Han are useless. Show me one meta team with either of them.

STHan is used in P3 HAAT. Leia in P4/P2. I hope rework of Raid Han and Old Ben will make them viable. Maybe a passive taunt for Old Ben but I don't think so because of GK doing the same thing. Raid Han will maybe skip taunt on his first hit.
  • JJay
    368 posts Member
    KueChael wrote: »
    Spiderface wrote: »
    Can you add Chewie to the list of characters used to unlock this because most of my guild doesn't have Old Ben. Such a small group of characters for such an important haracter.
    Start farming .., you have about 20 days worth of refreshing. Go. go. go.

How you know it's twenty days ? Who's given a date ?
  • DBane
    56 posts Member
    edited August 2017

2 reasons.

Ppl who have been playing for years and have the gotta catch am all syndrome are all loving this... but it's not good for the game. It's not good for early game or mid game players. Again, late gamers are the ones who benefit. I bet you are rooting for ugnaut and gamorian guard to unlock JKL.

Just to clarify things.. I started back in April 2016 so Old Ben meta was there when I joined the SWGOH com. Don't consider myself as a whale (only spend +-100 bucks).

I can understand the argument that you need 5 specific toons but totally disagree with the usage of those. You can not judge how Old Ben, Sthan, leia or Farmboy Luke will be after their Rework (which was already announced officially). Old Ben with taunt and his kit in combination with CLS as a leader against tripple cleanse+ tenacity up teams sounds quite good tbh.

Again agree on the point with Thrawn. Too less time to prepare for him but how long before you had the chance to farm phoenix characters even not knowing that for thrawn they are needed? Quite a time before. And this caused the fact that now Thrawn teams are special! Not everyone has him (maybe 5* but just a few have him 7*). This speciality makes him unique and wanted. Now imagine how it will for luke if only advanced players can unlock him straight away. Players will see CLS in battles and will be pumped for the next event like this.

refering to your last point: Yes I consider myself as lucky enough to unlock him at first attempt but I was waiting for him since I saw that there is FarmBoy Luke but not with lightsaber. Then I noticed that there is one with a lightsaber in an PVE battle node and I knew that sooner or later he will be in the game!
    What is wrong to have benifits for advanced players? They have to be kept busy and have to see progress otherwise ppl will leave this game. New players have enough good toons to farm in my opinion. No need for them to have #1 toons straight away

Cheers

• Great, another OP rebel, as if there weren't enough of them. Congratulation CG to ruining arena more and more. We want more variety, not more rebel or mixed "cheat" teams. I'd like to see more droids, clones, jedi, FO or resistance teams.

2 reasons.

I raid plenty. I have Leia.. she was one of my first 7*s. Old Ben and st Han are useless in raids. Show me one meta team with either of them.

Meta teams & raid teams are different. A ton of people use STHan in chirpatine squads. Some use raid Han instead of Leia in Cody squads Old Ben and his ability block has been used rarely against B2 and in P3. Luke has been used rarely with Zader.
  • Well done on the post! Id say do a post like this for all characters not just the high powered ones.
    Anyone who reads the forums more than likely knows their stuff and it could help to sell more packs since it takes a large part of the work of figuring out where they would go. Especially for busy people who aren't in the content game! (Like me!)
    Well done again!
  • jedilord
    337 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    who is responsible for commander skywalker in this game? sorry, you have choosen the wrong clothes or the wrong military rank "commander". the first time he had worn that clothes was on dagobah... and at this time he was jediapprentice or padawan and no longer commander because he was "unauthorized away from the army" even they were in "state of war" and on top of it: with an hijaked military spacecraft (x-wing)
    Post edited by jedilord on

2 reasons.

I raid plenty. I have Leia.. she was one of my first 7*s. Old Ben and st Han are useless in raids. Show me one meta team with either of them.

P3 HAAT Palp lead tfp rg tarkin and STHAN, usually granting 800k - 1M damage.

I usually use this one. Other variation is changing palp lead for OB lead, with similar results. 30% TM gain on foresight evasion in tfp grants him 100% tm in every B2 counterattack.

Leia is key in princess zody teams.

So yeah, you can use them in raids.
  • jedilord wrote: »
    haha ... who is responsible for commander skywalker in this game? sorry, you have choosen the wrong clothes or the wrong military rank "commander" for him! the first time he had worn that clothes was on dagobah... and at this time he was jediapprentice or padawan and no longer commander because he was "unauthorized away from the army" even they were in "state of war" and on top of it: with an hijaked military spacecraft (x-wing)

Those clothes are what he wears under his Hoth clothes. So first time he wore them was on Hoth.
  • SamoBudo
    223 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Well the reworks could have han and chewie in a pair like chaze hope. Hope Leia gets something massive to honor Carrie !. Also 7 days R2 a break plus 7 days for the even could be ~20 days to get
    the toons needed ? thats not too bad (compared to Phoenix squad) but gear will be an issue heh. I'd rather have a difficult to get char rather than a gifted one and this is more rewarding at the end. Yoda Emp R2 they all took 2 goes at it this should be no different.
  • OMg ea pls jedi tag luke starkiller :neutral:
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    jedilord wrote: »
    who is responsible for commander skywalker in this game? sorry, you have choosen the wrong clothes or the wrong military rank "commander". the first time he had worn that clothes was on dagobah... and at this time he was jediapprentice or padawan and no longer commander because he was "unauthorized away from the army" even they were in "state of war" and on top of it: with an hijaked military spacecraft (x-wing)

Don't care anymore, the responsible has been detected and is already fired.
  • jedilord wrote: »

He was referred to as Commander Skywalker on Hoth by the Rebels. Just because he changes clothes and flies to another planet does not mean he loses that rank with the Rebels. He was never bestowed or referred to with a title by Yoda (who was reluctant to even train him) and he definitely was not yet a Jedi.
  • SamoBudo wrote: »
    Well the reworks could have han and chewie in a pair like chaze hope.

Chewie in the game is from Clone Wars( before knowing Han). He uses a different weapon. They still have yet to add ANH+ Chewie with the Bowcaster.
  • ALLIΔNCE_MEMBER_99
    38 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Which abilities are Luke's 3 Zetas and what are those upgrades from the level 7 upgrade
  • This is literally the best thing to ever happen in this game and I'm very excited. Well worth the wait. Thank you devs!!
  • pac0naut wrote: »
    Wait... Did I see a taunt on old Ben?

Just relooked at Ben :)
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Ruasoh wrote: »
    I know I'm probably the only one, but I never used Stormtrooper Han and now there isn't really a way to get him to 7*. Any chance of making the shards available again (or add Han Solo as an option?)

@Ruasoh He's available in the Arena store, one of the easiest place to farm in the Galaxy... Just buy 20 shards / day and be done in no time?
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • kodias
    264 posts Member
    People whining that they didn't have enough notice really have nothing to stand on. The heros journey was announced in May. When you think of Luke's journey who did he run into in anh? Leia, Han Solo/ sth, chewie, old Ben, r2, Biggs, and even wedge. It's not that hard to put that together.

Lots of players were able to read between the lines to determine that a combination of those characters would be required to unlock Luke. This is probably the most notice the devs have ever given us. They obviously couldn't say it flat out in May but a lot of players took the hint and I know I did (I just had to finish farming old Ben).

They still need to give the unprepared players the incentive to make purchases to unlock him. And I think 2 weeks notice is the norm. The event will likely last 10 days so you have 24 days to get them to 7 stars.

I feel like they are releasing Luke just for the sake of finally releasing a good version of Luke to make the player base happy and not necessarily to make money (I.e thrawn).
  • Uoza
    10 posts Member
    What a disappointment on needed chars to unlock. This 7 star must makes me angry. What a waste, there is so many chars to collect in the game anyways and like told here before, old ben is pretty useles. I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now, but this is the most frustrating thing ever... My lack of faith in this game is disturbing....
  • LordI
    68 posts Member
    7 Stars...
    I think that should be as other characters, 1-4 stars at first, and then 5 stars to unlock...
    but well, we'll see.
    This game sucks