Character Strategy: Commander Luke Skywalker

Replies

• Welp another incredibly large hero. This game is showing some serious power creep.
  • Mihai29
    592 posts Member
    Commander Luke Skywalker
    Determined Rebel hero who can ignore debuffs or ignore Taunts
    yji61q91vmuj.gif

Unlocks at: Seven stars
    Available from: Hero's Journey Event
    Abilities
    BASIC Attack – Destined Strike:
    7cijc3wznv2n.gif
    • Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Speed Down and Defense Down for 2 turns. If the target already had Speed Down, remove 30% Turn Meter. If the target already had Defense Down, inflict Stun for 1 turn.
    SPECIAL Attack – Use the Force:
    cp4skmtkjxac.gif
    • Deal Physical damage to target enemy, Dispel all buffs on them, remove 100% Turn Meter, and inflict Buff Immunity and Tenacity Down for 2 turns. Reduce the cooldown of this ability by 1 if the target didn’t have full Health. (Cooldown 4).
    SPECIAL Ability – Call to Action:
    cb9syiv0sc8g.gif
    • Dispel all debuffs on Luke. Luke gains 100% Turn Meter and recovers 40% Health and 40% Protection. If Luke doesn’t have the “Call to Action” unique buff, he gains it until the next time this ability is used. (Cooldown 4)
    • Call to Action: Luke ignores Taunts during his turn and has +50% Accuracy, +50% Critical Chance, and +50% Critical Damage. Can’t be Dispelled or prevented.
    Leader Ability – Rebel Maneuvers:
    • Rebel allies have +50% Counter Chance, +50% Defense, and +15% Offense. Whenever an enemy Resists a detrimental effect, Rebel allies gain 5% Turn Meter.
    Unique Ability – Learn Control:
    • While Luke doesn’t have Call to Action, he has +50% Counter Chance, +50% Critical Avoidance, +50% Defense, +100% Tenacity, and gains 10% Turn Meter whenever another Rebel ally takes damage.
    Unique Ability – It Binds All Things:
    • Luke has +40% Potency. Whenever Luke Resists a detrimental effect he recovers 5% Health and 5% Protection. Whenever Luke inflicts a debuff he gains 10% Turn Meter and other allies gain half that amount.
    General Strategy
    • Luke’s special “Use the Force” is devastating, stripping all buffs and Turn Meter from the target, and then preventing further buffs from being applied through Buff Immunity.
    • Luke’s Lead grants Counter Chance to the entire Rebel Faction for the first time. With all the high-damage attackers within the Rebels, using an AoE against them becomes an interesting proposition of whether the counterstrike might hurt more than the intended AoE attack.
    • Use Luke’s second special to grant himself the “Call to Action” buff when you need to get through a taunting tank and finish off a wounded enemy.

Hero Synergies
    • Pair Luke with allies that can provide Speed Down and/or Defense Down so that Luke’s basic can proc the more powerful secondary effects of Turn Meter Remove and Stun earlier rather than later.
    • Using Rebels with AoE Debuffs such as Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben), Cassian, R2D2, or Scarif Rebel Pathfinder under a Luke lead can help versus enemies that repeatedly apply Tenacity Up. A full 5 enemies resisting an AoE debuff supplies 25% Turn Meter to all Rebel Allies, which would be doubled to 50% when figuring that Obi-Wan’s “Mind Trick” applies two!
    • Luke’s lead and R2 are a match made in heaven, as each Counterattack gives another opportunity to Critical Hit and cleanse all debuffs from the character.

Where to Use
    • Luke is one of the most versatile and powerful characters we have released, and can be used in any group in Squad Arena, Raid, Assault Battles, or various other PVE squads.

Can you whisper me Luke's basic speed? :*
  • We need double drops to get our heroes to 7*...... :wink: [specially for Old Ben]
  • The "Call to Action" skill animation have a flashing light effect when triggered, but seems slightly off from Luke's feet, since this skill is just direct to himself, I think the effect animation coordinate might need a lil fix like GK's Lead the charge. Well, maybe it will be polished, this is a gif teaser after all.
  • Kanan0017
    81 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    This is ridiculous...and not in a good way...these reworks better come in before this event...and I hope half this is zetas
    Post edited by Kozispoon on
  • kodias
    264 posts Member
    Uoza wrote: »
    What a disappointment on needed chars to unlock. This 7 star must makes me angry. What a waste, there is so many chars to collect in the game anyways and like told here before, old ben is pretty useles. I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now, but this is the most frustrating thing ever... My lack of faith in this game is disturbing....

Since the game launched in Nov of 2015 its impossible to have been playing for 2 years but I get it, you've been playing for a long time, probably since launch. I've been playing since Jan 2016 and I have them all 7*, I just finished Old Ben a couple of weeks ago because when they said Hero's journey I figured Old Ben was required so I took a break from the endless mod farming and switched to him. It isn't that hard of a feat to have all these characters at 7* when you've been playing for longer than a year. R2, STH, and leia are all key characters in various HAAT teams so theres no excuse for not having them.

This event gives you original trilogy Luke so its not that big of a leap that other original trilogy characters would be required to unlock him.

He is another game changing character and his kit will probably allow him to solo the rancor by himself. Just throw in a Gam Guard for fun and you can recreate RotJ.

There is still time to farm up the characters you are missing plus they will definitely have packs you can purchase. They need to make money somehow and this is how they have always done it. It isn't going to change anytime soon either.
  • C1pher_Five
    267 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    1) This kit looks AMAZING!

2) I really, REALLY hate how EA is forcing us to upgrade heroes for certain events. Prime example is Thrawn, I absolutely loathe the trashbag Phoenix team so I couldn't get him.

Now here's the deal, to get CLS we need 7* Old Ben, StHan, Leia, R2-D2, Farmer Luke. Sounds great, except I don't have Old Ben unlocked, Farmboi is only 4* and to get R2 to 7* I need about 180 Snowtrooper shards + metric ton of gear for Tarkin, RG and Snowy.

So yeah, not gonna get CLS anytime soon.

3) Once again, the Sith and Empire got a semi-decent buff and Rebels get crazy good stuff. I get how EA and the franchise in general is on Rebel side but this is becoming absolutely ridiculous.
  • Salacious_B_Crumb
    144 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    So I'm a little confused on the thinking here. Luke got his butt kicked by almost everyone and everything in the Empire Strikes Back. Wampa, inside of a tauntaun, shot down by an AT-AT, abused by creepy short ancient green troll, and finally Darth Vader. It seems to me this character should just lose a hand and be defeated at the start of combat.
  • Does farmboy convert to this luke after unlock or is he his own toon? If converting, does gear lvl transfer?
  • Does farmboy convert to this luke after unlock or is he his own toon? If converting, does gear lvl transfer?

Nope
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • Wait, and he's 8 star?
  • Wait, and he's 8 star?

No he's 7
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • So I'm a little confused on the thinking here. Luke got his butt kicked by almost everyone and everything in the Empire Strikes Back. Wampa, inside of a tauntaun, shot down by an AT-AT, abused by creepy short ancient green troll, and finally Darth Vader. It seems to me this character should just lose a hand and be defeated at the start of combat.

Yeah I don't get it either. ESB Luke got his butt handed to him multiple times in that film. He shouldn't be this strong at this stage of his training. Rebels have gotten some ridiculous OP stuff lately. Now I won't discredit Thrawn's kit, but this is getting way out of hand. Give the Jedi, Separatists, and Droids some attention for heavens sake.

I get it, it's the Rebels, they won the war, yahda yahda yahda. But we need work on other factions. It's not that hard! If you want help, put out a public poll!
  • Massov
    123 posts Member
    Seems Commander Luke will outclass Vader...

Not sure it goes like that in the movies
  • kodias wrote: »

Since the game launched in Nov of 2015 its impossible to have been playing for 2 years but I get it

Nope, must have been more than 2 years, because im sure i even play since 2 years... can we see when we start to play?
  • Using Rebels with AoE Debuffs such as Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben), Cassian, R2D2, or Scarif Rebel Pathfinder under a Luke lead can help versus enemies that repeatedly apply Tenacity Up. A full 5 enemies resisting an AoE debuff supplies 25% Turn Meter to all Rebel Allies, which would be doubled to 50% when figuring that Obi-Wan’s “Mind Trick” applies two!

That will absolutely kill any rex leads left in arena. I

You don't need any Scariff Pathfinder, just wait for your opponent buffed with tenacity up to resist Baze Malbus speed down upon counter and play again...
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    I'd love to know which of the 6 abilities have zeta upgrades. Can probably count his basic out, but without knowing which abilities are zeta'ed and what the pre-zeta ability stats are, its hard to know how useful he'll be without spending zetas on him. All in all, he looks like a giant zeta sink.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • CamaroAMF
    1279 posts Member
    kodias wrote: »

Since the game launched in Nov of 2015 its impossible to have been playing for 2 years but I get it

Nope, must have been more than 2 years, because im sure i even play since 2 years... can we see when we start to play?

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/10/star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-now-available-for-mobile-from-ea#latest
  • Jordy_Rain wrote: »
    Do you seriously think it's a good idea to release an amazing character but force 4 random required characters that not everyone has, with such short notice that no one can turn around and have them in time? This is ridiculous.

Sorry... But some of us are going to be ready. Like others have said... All you had to do is read into "familiar faces" and "like no other event before" to realize which characters to key in on. Sure it wasn't exact science, as I was thinking maybe Wedge would be in the mix...

Not to mention all of the community speculation that seemed to point in the direction of characters that we a big part of Luke's life or had a huge influence on him during this time of his story. Stormtrooper Han is probably a stretch, but the other 4 are just too obvious.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Wassup
    128 posts Member
    Jordy_Rain wrote: »
    Jordy_Rain wrote: »
    Do you seriously think it's a good idea to release an amazing character but force 4 random required characters that not everyone has, with such short notice that no one can turn around and have them in time? This is ridiculous. After almost a year of playing... I'm seriously considering quitting.

Explain how this is different from every other legendary release?

2 reasons.
    1. Before thrawn, every legendary had reasonable asks. Jedi, rebels, Empire... these are all reasonable with lots of options available. Here we need 4 ve4y specific characters, a couple of which are useless, even for raids. Thrawn was **** I think everyone agrees... you can watch the many videos on YouTube showing ppl's rage to find that Phoenix were required. But at least you can get a 5* or 6* thrown, which brings me to my second reason..
    2. At 7*, you either get him or you dont. No way to play with him until the event comes back. Again.. I wouldn't mind if you needed a certain faction.. but to say these 4 characters at 7*.. it's ridiculous.

Ppl who have been playing for years and have the gotta catch am all syndrome are all loving this... but it's not good for the game. It's not good for early game or mid game players. Again, late gamers are the ones who benefit. I bet you are rooting for ugnaut and gamorian guard to unlock JKL.

But why should anyone expect that this character, in particular, would be a breeze to obtain?
  • kalidor wrote: »
    I'd love to know which of the 6 abilities have zeta upgrades. Can probably count his basic out, but without knowing which abilities are zeta'ed and what the pre-zeta ability stats are, its hard to know how useful he'll be without spending zetas on him. All in all, he looks like a giant zeta sink.

Lead & both uniques.
  • CLS is going to be very bad for the game, and here's why:

1. Limited access and slow power creep are GOOD and necessary things for this game.

CLS is too accessible, and WAY too strong. Yes, I know his full stats are not out yet, but note the end of the OP thread just outright states "This is the most ridiculously overpowered character we've put into the game, ever." Restricting access to good (but uncertain) power increases leads to choice by the players of who they will farm and when, and choice leads to diversity, diversity leads to dynamic gameplay where lots of different squads are encountered with varied yet reasonably close strength.

Past ultra-powerful characters like GK, Thrawn, or Chaze have been extremely expensive or otherwise difficult to get. Despite their obvious strength, their limited access meant many (but not all) are required to make other diverse choices till they can finally acquire them.

Giving everyone access to one incredibly OP character, that fits into an already OP Rebel faction, with relatively easy level of access means that everyone can and must have this character, there is no choice about it. This lack of choice will choke out diversity. Anyone who does not manage to get CLS will play as second class citizens till the event loops back around in six months, or just quit out of frustration.

2. Every re-work thats been faithfully attempted over the past year has been for nothing.

The power creep is leaping forward with CLS. Just as we were starting to see Jedi, Empire, and Resistence, creep their way into relevance, CLS arrives to ensure they are once again forgotten, and Chazey CLS Rebels will once again reign in perpetuity.

3. Rebel exhustion.

This was already a common (and valid) complaint: there are too many Rebels, and they just keep coming. Not only are we getting the new CLS, but we're also getting reworks on Ben (soon to be rebel!), Leia, Han, Han again. THEN with the new hoth content we're getting another Leia and ANOTHER HAN (no joke, we could be on the brink of a triple Han meta). Why do these characters need to be reworked? There are already too many OP Rebels, and most of the characters being reworked are already extremely viable!

4. CLS's animations are terrible.

Ok, this one is subjective. But seriously, the most anticipated and soon to be (by design) most frequently seen character in the game, and his battle animations are Basic: swipe. Ability: swipe twice. Ability: lazy saber rotation. And while his posture is good in the menu, in his battle pose he stands like a hunchback with scoliosis. After how cool Wicket's animations turned out, I really expected more.
    (Dex Corso in game. Formerly Til Dais)
  • Looks like Old Ben finally got/will get the taunt he needs!

He's so slow though. He'll just get dispelled and be right back to Old Man Standing Around Watching.

You don't even know the extent of his rework and you're already complaining.

Baze is slow too, the rest of the mechanic are what round out a tank, not his speed. Also, do you know for a fact that he's not getting a speed bump like Tarkin? No. Wait a day or two, then complain.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    jedilord wrote: »
    who is responsible for commander skywalker in this game? sorry, you have choosen the wrong clothes or the wrong military rank "commander". the first time he had worn that clothes was on dagobah... and at this time he was jediapprentice or padawan and no longer commander because he was "unauthorized away from the army" even they were in "state of war" and on top of it: with an hijaked military spacecraft (x-wing)

Correction: first time we see that outfit is on Dagobah, where do you think he got that outfit? In the Dagobah Fashion Shop on Main Street?
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • DarthZannaH
    577 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Haters are gonna hate. B) All I have to say to y'all haters. Get ready. Winter (Hoth) is coming.
    Do or do not...
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    kalidor wrote: »

Lead & both uniques.

Thanks! Wonder how good they are un-zeta'ed. For example, if someone only told you Finn's leader ability with its zeta description, you'd rightfully think he's a great leader. But without that zeta, his leader is pretty underwhelming.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m

2 reasons.
    1. Before thrawn, every legendary had reasonable asks. Jedi, rebels, Empire... these are all reasonable with lots of options available. Here we need 4 ve4y specific characters, a couple of which are useless, even for raids. Thrawn was **** I think everyone agrees... you can watch the many videos on YouTube showing ppl's rage to find that Phoenix were required. But at least you can get a 5* or 6* thrown, which brings me to my second reason..
    2. At 7*, you either get him or you dont. No way to play with him until the event comes back. Again.. I wouldn't mind if you needed a certain faction.. but to say these 4 characters at 7*.. it's ridiculous.

Ppl who have been playing for years and have the gotta catch am all syndrome are all loving this... but it's not good for the game. It's not good for early game or mid game players. Again, late gamers are the ones who benefit. I bet you are rooting for ugnaut and gamorian guard to unlock JKL.

Chill mate... CLS is a reward toon, for those who play the game long enough. It‘s called high end game.

If you don’t have Old Ben, then you are probably on a younger shard, and you weren’t playing during the first dodge meta. I’m sad to say but not all toons are for early or mid game players...

I am happy to know I will be a proud owner of CSL because I used (and was arena 1st for several weeks) Old Ben, but I did not care for ATF nor really for Thrawn. Now I (and early players like me) get a reward. You’ll get there eventually...

On the other hand they told us early enough, so everyone could have known. Let me disappoint you, CLS will become JKL, and you will probably need CLS, Yoda, RAID Han etc... like the journey Luke had in the movie.

I raid plenty. I have Leia. She was one of my first 7*s. Old Ben and St Han are useless. Show me one meta team with either of them.

Old Ben lead, STHan, Rey, QGJ and +1 (I used Yoda), and was arena first for several weeks.
  • kalidor wrote: »

Lead & both uniques.

Thanks! Wonder how good they are un-zeta'ed. For example, if someone only told you Finn's leader ability with its zeta description, you'd rightfully think he's a great leader. But without that zeta, his leader is pretty underwhelming.

You're welcome. The specifics the Zeta adds we won't know yet until he's in game (or if they developers say)
  • Danix
    18 posts Member

Lead & both uniques.

You're welcome. The specifics the Zeta adds we won't know yet until he's in game (or if they developers say)

Wait, you want to tell me these abilities and bonuses are without the zetas?