The zeta crunch...

2Next

Replies

• ZatyraJinn
    109 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    This game is meant to have variety. The more options you have for everyone means people can actually take different routes. You have a ton of zetas and a top player amd you're over here complaining when most people probably only have a couple zetas or none. Don't whine about not being able to keep up and not be able to have everything as it comes out. If everyone got the same kitten constantly this game would suck
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Smapty wrote: »
    Winstar wrote: »
    17 crafted zetas?!? Was that a typo?

giphy.gif

That is my only thought and feedback.

Yes I've got Yoda (2), Thrawn (2), Nihilus (2), Tarkin, Dooku, Veers, Vader, Savage, Asajj, Finn, Krennic, Sid, DT... I think that's it...

Plus one ready to go for whoever... *cough* (Luke)

I don't really mean to complain...

But man I wish I could "buy back" some of those ;)

I think that would be kind of overpowered unless the return was less than 20 zetas
  • I find it seriously difficult to comprehend that you have activated 17 zeta abilities, yet somehow think you need a way to earn more zeta materials.
    gif-of-han-solo-eyeroll-gif.gif
  • MistahShowtime
    68 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I only have 3 zetas, which is nothing in comparison to the OP. But, I still agree that the zeta crunch is ridiculous. Just in the past 24 hours, we've gained 5 new zetas between Command Luke and Farmboy Luke. There are 4 more reworks incoming, which will have at least 6 more zetas between them I'm sure. That's 11+ new zetas. ONE zeta can take MONTHS to obtain. At least give us a decent ratio. Make zetas a guaranteed drop, which would be 6 a week. Still takes over 3 weeks to gain 1 without purchasing in fleets shipments. I think with all the new zetas we're getting, giving everyone 20 zeta mats to use would also be a nice gesture. Just give us a freebie for once. Everything else takes so much grinding already, throw us a bone!
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Ships cause my game to crash 99% of the time. As a result, I have very few zetas. Just placed my 3rd one yesterday, with zero banked. So that's exactly 60 I've gotten... ever. I personally don't think they're too hard to get. I just HATE that ships is the way to get them.
  • Smapty wrote: »
    The point isn't how many zetas you have... whether it's 1 or 100. They aren't difficult to get if you devote the resources to them... but it's time consuming. If you spend your ship currency only on zetas you get one about every two weeks on average.

Sure I have a good amount of characters zeta'd but I started early on it and have spent all my ship currency exclusively on zetas... I like to try new things. That's what makes the game fun for me.

They were great initially to help address the power creep by giving older characters that became somewhat obsolete new abilities that made them viable again. Now every new character "needs" a zeta... or two.. or now three in Luke's case.

It's literally impossible to stay even remotely close to keeping up with the curve that is being created. Sure you can save them up... but for what and until when? What if you went "all in" on the Ewoks and then they release Luke... well that sucks... or you go "all in" on Luke and soon enough some new character is released that is bigger and better and nullifies all your efforts.

I think that ideally any fully zeta'd team (empire, sith, Jedi, resistance, FO, Ewoks, etc...) should be able to compete with any other in a rock, paper, scissors kind of way... but currently it doesn't work like that. They just release something new that is stronger than anything else and shifts the balance dramatically. Arena currently is probably more varied then it has been in a while but it still boils down to a very limited number of viable teams/ characters is you want to be competitive.

I don't really regret any of the zetas I've put on characters. Some are clearly far superior to others but regardless it's fun to try them out and experiment with them.

That being said... being able to remove them for a significant fee or having them accessible in other ways wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Yes each new character is more powerful than the last, but you're missing the fact that they are making them much better with their own faction. So eventually each faction will have one very powerful character that has synergy with their faction. Nightsisters will probably get mother talzin, FO will get snoke etc. This adds much more diversity to the meta and is working towards being balanced between factions
  • Muaddib
    563 posts Member
    I find it seriously difficult to comprehend that you have activated 17 zeta abilities, yet somehow think you need a way to earn more zeta materials.

Ditto. And yet, with my relatively paltry 5 zetas and terrible luck on the challenge.... Still agree with him. (I've literally gone two whole, non-consecutive, months w/o getting a single zeta from the challenge. I too buy most of mine.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    This is a resource management game... That is pretty much the all of it.

How many Zeta's you got and spent then complaining about new toons needing Zetas is EXACTLY the point and issue in a game about resource management. If you spend every credit heist penny to level toons you won't be able to use in 2 years or will use once for fun, you are wasting resources and will not have the credits when you do need them (like now). Exact same principle with Zetas.

I had literally 115 zeta mats last week. I had nothing I needed to spend them on. I spent them on my first dark side/Empire arena squad. They are doing slightly better than the squad I already had on Defense but not 2 characters and 2 zeta farms.

I was/am disappointed, the resources that I put in did not pay out to the level I was expected. I could have farmed r2 instead and maybe had a slightly better team and been more prepared for the Journey.

At the end of the day it was my resource management mistake that put me in this position. I should have known better etc. Though like you (I would guess), I was more eager to try something new.

Trying something new isn't a bad thing, its just not the BEST min/max thing to do in this game. Just like farming and using toons you "like" isn't the optimum thing to do either.

You can't have it both ways in this game. If you want the uber toon immediately you have to wait, plan and ensure you manage your resources properly.

Sounds like you **** away zetas imo.

• I have zeta'd DN, R2 (both), QGJ, Maul, Vader, Sidious, Cody, Kylo and phasma and am sitting on 85 zetas at the moment and started hoarding the moment they announced the hero's journey idea for Luke. I'll probably dump them into luke and one of the reworked characters and then begin hoarding for Jedi Luke in a few months
  • Broulan
    374 posts Member
    I find it seriously difficult to comprehend that you have activated 17 zeta abilities, yet somehow think you need a way to earn more zeta materials.

Yeah I dunno...working on my 4th right now...
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Had a good chuckle, thanks for that :) I certainly feel the crunch working on my 5th zeta, having at least 5-6 good choices to spend it, and being shutout of challenge zetas for a few weeks now on top of it all. But someone with 17 feeling the crunch -- Yikes, does it never end!?
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Wow...17 is impressive, and kind of answers the lingering question I've had of the highest number of zetas someone has done.

I know the feeling a little bit though...was looking to do combat analysis next, but then read that CLS has three (although depending on the date of his event, it may turn out to not be a problem for me).

But I also don't see myself as getting every zeta possible. I certainly have many abilities that could be omega, but I don't care. I save omegas for abilities on new 'important toons' and that works itself out. There may come a point in the future where zetas are less of a crunch.
  • I feel like people are missing the point of this thread.

The point isn't how many Zeta's anyone has, it is the length of time it takes to farm a zeta.

The best I've done is just under two weeks to farm a full zeta taking 1st almost every day in fleet arena an de getting lucky with ship challenge.

Even getting lucky and working hard it takes forever.

For people with crummy RNG and not te best fleet squad it can take well over a month to farm a single zeta.

Should it really take 3 months for max out the abilities on a single toon (New Luke requiring 3)?

I don't think so and neither does OP.

I've managed to do 7 Zeta's and it is a grueling task. I still need one more Zeta to complete my arena team (last Zeta for Thrawn).

I have wanted to Zeta Ventress since her Zeta abilities first came out. My the time o farmed one, she had already sunk back into irrelevancy again.

She would be my "fun" Zeta but there isn't no way to do that right now.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    OP probably finishes top in ships regularly and buys a zeta or more daily refreshing the fleet store. Because I am envious, I wish I could go back in time and tell young naive Winstar not to click on this thread.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    I feel like people are missing the point of this thread.

The point isn't how many Zeta's anyone has, it is the length of time it takes to farm a zeta.

The best I've done is just under two weeks to farm a full zeta taking 1st almost every day in fleet arena an de getting lucky with ship challenge.

For people with crummy RNG and not te best fleet squad it can take well over a month to farm a single zeta.

Should it really take 3 months for max out the abilities on a single toon (New Luke requiring 3)?

I've managed to do 7 Zeta's and it is a grueling task. I still need one more Zeta to complete my arena team (last Zeta for Thrawn).

I have wanted to Zeta Ventress since her Zeta abilities first came out. My the time o farmed one, she had already sunk back into irrelevancy again.

It sorta is the point... That guy wasted his zetas that he farmed, he made poor choices if he is complaining now.

If you can farm a zeta in 2 weeks whats the complaint? Can you fully gear a character in 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks? Chances are if you are farming only (not buying) you probably can farm critical zetas by the time you are able to gear them up to a useable level.

From what we have seen so far you generally don't have to complete each character to be useful. Why spend a zeta on a leader skill like tarkin if you are just going to use him in rancor with Zader lead?

DeathTrooper's zeta is practically pointless unless you are using Krenic.

Though I certainly understand the "normalization" of zetas that are required to even field some configurations. This is similar to what gear level a character has to be before they are even usable. Or if zetas become the new omega

• @Smapty they are difficult to get and the only way to buy them is 2000 ship credits which takes 2 days to generate... the challenge doesnt count because it takes about 2 month to get at least 12/20 shards... im barely on my 3rd zeta and ive been working on zetas since they introduced them to the game... so its all about luck plain and simple

I like zeta but the current system available to aquire them is just olain awful
  • Twin wrote: »
    I feel like people are missing the point of this thread.

It sorta is the point... That guy wasted his zetas that he farmed, he made poor choices if he is complaining now.

If you can farm a zeta in 2 weeks whats the complaint? Can you fully gear a character in 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks? Chances are if you are farming only (not buying) you probably can farm critical zetas by the time you are able to gear them up to a useable level.

From what we have seen so far you generally don't have to complete each character to be useful. Why spend a zeta on a leader skill like tarkin if you are just going to use him in rancor with Zader lead?

DeathTrooper's zeta is practically pointless unless you are using Krenic.

Though I certainly understand the "normalization" of zetas that are required to even field some configurations. This is similar to what gear level a character has to be before they are even usable. Or if zetas become the new omega

Okay, let's assume he did "waste" the Zeta mats. It doesn't change the fact that most people cannot farm them nearly as quickly as he has and the rate at which new toons with multiple Zeta's are dropping, people who are already behind in the Zeta curve will continue to struggle and lag farther behind.

Unless you can get top tier rewards for fleet arena you are more or less in the hands of RNG.

The only way to get more Zeta mats isn't to stop buying them from shipments and Star up your fleet squad.

If you happen to be on a really competitive fleet shard you are just hosed.
  • Smapty wrote: »
    So I've put zetas on characters about 17 times now...

Been going at it strong for quite a while... but still I feel like I can't even come close to keeping up.

Now Luke has 3... the soon to be revealed reworked rebels will probably need them as well...

I understand that they are a "big decision" and should be used as such... but when new characters consistently need them and make other characters obsolete in the process... Therein lies the problem

What's the resolution for this? (Just save them... until when?)

Should they be added to other shops for a huge amount of currency?

Should there be some sort of "buy back" offered to remove them from a character for a tremendous amount of credits or crystals or whatever?

There has to be something... some other way to earn or re-assign zetas...

As it stands now it's only trying to give ship battles some validity...

Any feedback or thoughts are welcome :)

The problem with zetas isn't their availability, (I'm just behind you at 15 equipped zetas) but that they are becoming way too common and for extremely mediocre upgrades. There are literally some omega upgrades that add more than alot of the current zetas.

Also, omegas should never have been added to zeta mat requirements. It's created a ridiculous bottleneck on needed abilities. If they just made omegas and zetas available to be purchased for crystals it would solve everything.

I can max 4 or 5 toons gear before before I can get the ability mats for one of them. And with the need for our whole rosters to be strong for the upcoming territory battles they need to make them more available.
  • I only have 3 zetas, which is nothing in comparison to the OP. But, I still agree that the zeta crunch is ridiculous. Just in the past 24 hours, we've gained 5 new zetas between Command Luke and Farmboy Luke. There are 4 more reworks incoming, which will have at least 6 more zetas between them I'm sure. That's 11+ new zetas. ONE zeta can take MONTHS to obtain. At least give us a decent ratio. Make zetas a guaranteed drop, which would be 6 a week. Still takes over 3 weeks to gain 1 without purchasing in fleets shipments. I think with all the new zetas we're getting, giving everyone 20 zeta mats to use would also be a nice gesture. Just give us a freebie for once. Everything else takes so much grinding already, throw us a bone!

Or maybe just stop making a rework basically be "let's toss on a zeta and it's call it a day." Seriously you aren't making these toons viable since most people are so far behind the zeta crunch that these toons will never receive a zeta. Maybe relieve the crunch by adding a zeta mat to the rewards for completing all of your dailies, as you did with omegas.
  • I still think if the game would have found and punished the users of the zeta exploit, this would have closed the distance between haves and have-nots, somewhat. Getting an extra pull of the wheel three times a week adds up..........
  • I accidently dropped 40 of my hard earned Zetas into Chirpa and Cody. I would love to get them back. But even support says there is no way. I am still crying.
  • Dretzle
    716 posts Member

This is exactly why zetas take so long to farm.

There are bottlenecks to every part of the game. Some of the bottlenecks, like gear and sometimes shards, can be bypassed by real life money. Others, like zeta mats, cannot. The zeta and omega bottleneck is one of the things that keeps people that have maxed out toons still playing.

Let's back this up for a second and imagine if everyone was able to get everything instantly, including zetas, just by spending enough cash. And of course, people will complain that it's too expensive, so we also lower the cost to something reasonable so that in a couple months you can have all of the toons maxed out, abilities, shards and gear.

What would you do then? Most likely stop playing, or at least stop playing every day. The game becomes even more stale than the whales are already complaining it is.

The only way to make a collection-based game like this even halfway interesting is introduce a time component where you are interested in continuing to play because you need time to collect that next more powerful thing. It wouldn't matter if it took two or three months to collect a zeta, as long as their perceived bonus warranted that kind of commitment. This is end game collection material that we're going after.

What does matter is the up and coming players having a chance at all in "catching up". Which the devs have done for us. (1) Any one team can only field 5 characters, so that's approximately 5 zeta abilities that a newer player might need for arena (as opposed to the 17 that the OP already has; newer players don't have to "catch up" to that 17 abilities to be able to compete) (2) Characters have multiple utility (the same character can be an arean toon, a pilot, and be useful in Rancor and/or Tank raid) (3) Whenever a new max is released, they increase the rate at which you can achieve the past maxes, such as omega abilities, which we now have omega event weekends, omegas drop in GW and zeta challenge, as well as the regular mats challenge.

It's an ecosystem where the long-playing players have more utility in depth of roster. They have more options, can switch to different arena teams quicker/easier, can field more high-powered tank teams. But the newer players have the possibility of at least somewhat "catching up" and being competitive, such as being able to omega all the abilities of their arena team more quickly than it used to take you a year ago.

• @Dretzle

I get that bottlenecks are necessary for the life of the game.

I just finished farming my 8th Zeta.

Except for the ones that I put on Boba and Savage, all of my Zeta's have gone on Empire toons.

Zader
    zTarkin (unique)
    zzThrawn
    zDT
    zVeers

I have basically been farming only for Empire toons since April. Before that I had gone all in on Bounty Hunters and maxed them out. (Just in time for zMaul, zQGJ, and triple cleanse to take over arena. My maxed squad was then almost useless in arena.)

That being said, I still have two more Zeta's I would like to put on Empire toons: Tarkin's lead and Krennic's lead.

Four months of farming and I haven't even finished putting the Zeta's I would like on a single faction.

I understand that Zeta's are very important and that we need to choose wisely. It's just so slow that it makes it difficult to even omega abilities on other factions because I need to save omegas for my next Zeta.

I've never chased the meta. I've farmed what I thought could be effective while staying outside of the meta.

Even so, by the time I have Empire maxed out, Empire will likely be struggling in arena.

I thought about saving my last Zeta instead of putting it on Thrawn but the OCD in me wanted him completely maxed (aside from the fact that he is 6*).

It is what it is. I just wish there was a better way of speeding up the process, especially for people who can't take first in fleet arena.