Character Strategy: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Replies

• Lol at the Jedi tag questions.

I thought his lead would get reworked. Was also hoping his strike me down would still work if he was killed and then revived and killed again. At first I didn't like the non auto taunt; but since he meow gains 5% tm when Rebels or Jedi are attacked; he'll get their faster. Also he combos very well with CLS (as was intended) by adding +3% tm gain on mind Tricks for each effect resisted, so if say Rex has applied tenacity up and mind tricks is all resisted that's 30% tm gain, add that to the 50% CLS gives and it's meow 80% tm gain!
  • ZaulLover wrote: »
    hahahaha here i come HAAT p3, here i come.
    love this. love the taunt, love the taunt after the taunt, love the TM gain when not hit.
    im sure he still doing like... 0 damage, but im kinda fine with it, his job is crowd control and take hits. gonna be great with r2d2, enemy will have to atc obi!
    but very important - can we get the IYSMD description without the zeta ? im having hard time understand its level 7 @CG_Kozispoon or anyone else that understood.

Just minus the stats from the zeta upgrade?

"Whenever another Jedi or Rebel ally takes damage, Old Ben gains 3% Turn Meter. The first time Old Ben is defeated, all allies gain Offense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns, recover 30% Health and 30% Protection."
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Jamesm wrote: »
    They took a lot out of mind tricks though

How so? They only added to it

No more crit chance, crit dmg and def penetration up
  • Looks like when taunt re applies it overrides the fracture, like when you have stealth then taunt. Probably not WAI but if it is that makes Old Ben a ridiculous tank
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    This...this is a weird gif. We're looking to replace it with something more clear to better showcase the ability. Cheers!

I know you want to highlight the taunt returning but you might want to consider a different Empire character facing Obi in a 1v1. Rhymes with Barth Layder.

Just saying. ;)

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Different ability. Also, tm and health/protection up is more helpful
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Time to gear up Fulcrum. Under Jyn, bring Old Ben back to get struck down again?

Strike me down only applies buffs the FIRST time he's defeated. But yes, you could bring him back once.
  • I'm thinking speed and more speed mods for Ben, keep the taunts flowing - get him killed real quick!
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member

Different ability. Also, tm and health/protection up is more helpful

Ha my bad meant if you strike me down
  • Drepd
    130 posts Member
    they should add in the description that he dispels himself and gains taunt. Thats the only way he should be able to gain his taunt again if he is fractured or has any type of buff immunity on him.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Awww, I was hoping to use his previous evasion up with his being a tank with counter attack
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    Cardiff0 wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »
    So it looks like if old ben has taunt and is fractured he will be taunting while fractured.

This contradicts fracture because fracture means you cant gain buffs

I don't disagree but since dispel happens first before fracture with the way things currently work he could have taunt with fracture.

Every see b2 dispel stealth from sith with maul lead and put up buff immunity?
    the sith gains buff immunity and advantage at the same time. This is same situation
    1. dispel buff(s)
    2. opponet responds to the dispelled buff(s)
    3. debuff that prevents gaining buffs is applied
    4. damage is done

To prevent the uproar and thousands of bug or is this WAI posts they just need to change Thrawn ability to apply fracture first then dispel.
  • Will it be one rework notes released a day? Really looking forward to Leia since she's important to my current raid team. Hoping I can wake up and find more notes (hello from asia).
  • Yes, it's hard to tell if Thrawn takes another turn or not. If the taunt bypasses fracture, there will be a significant backlash.
    Empire Relic
  • Too bad he's loosing the evasion up since he's taunting now... Since his damage output is terrible he could have kept this buff tbh. Loosing a turn to hit with his ridiculous basic before he uses mind trick is suicidal and uninteresting tactics especially since you need another turn to taunt...
    Design around this rework doesn't feel smooth nor quite logical to me.
    Buffing his potency and making him automatically taunt upon X situation on his unique or on another would have been way better than another uninspired taunt skill.

Using a zeta on him feels like a theft and locking the 5% TM gain behind it is utterly frustrating. Old ben could have been awesome but in the end he's a really awkward, better but still bad overall. Ok more TM means faster mind trick but (1) his basic is worthless and even worse with potency up (only his special needs it, seriously) (2) Mind trick CD is too long anyway, everyone will be dead before he'll be able to use it (3) his speed his still totally bad and i can assure you he'll still be the last who will be killed, ever.
    Mission failed...

Plus I don't get much the new obsession around putting zetas everywhere, especially on terrible toons.

You should probably re-read his kit & think about what his abilities do. For starters you don't want him avoiding attacks so removing evasion up and adding evasion down works. Also anytime a Jedi or rebel is attacked he gains 5% tm so no, everyone else will not die before he gets a chance to go because the more they get hit the closer he is to going. Also why would you use his basic before mind tricks? Mindtricks can't be evaded and if they're resisted under CLS leads it's 80% tm gain for everyone.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    There are other buffs that can't be prevented, maybe this is another one (it'd have to say though)
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member
    So it looks like if old ben has taunt and is fractured he will be taunting while fractured.

I don't disagree but since dispel happens first before fracture with the way things currently work he could have taunt with fracture.

the sith gains buff immunity and advantage at the same time. This is same situation
    1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

To prevent the uproar and thousands of bug or is this WAI posts they just need to change Thrawn ability to apply fracture first then dispel.

I figured this was the case but why wouldn't Savage or Biggs have buffs while Fractured? Why wouldnt a factured sith under Zaul have stealth occasionally?
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member
    Brownie wrote: »

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

I figured this was the case but why wouldn't Savage or Biggs have buffs while Fractured? Why wouldnt a factured sith under Zaul have stealth occasionally?

They already said the gif was a bad example to use. I dont think hell be taunting during fracture. I'm guessing what happened was taunt-fractur (which dispels taunt)- Thrawns tm fills up since hes alone-fracture goes away triggering second taunt
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Old Ben Kenobi has been reworked with two unavoidable attacks and a new special ability: "Devoted Protector" which allows him to taunt at will, making him a threat from the very start of the battle.
    • Old Ben now has the Rebel category tag!

BASIC: Elegant Form
    • Now grants Potency Up instead of Evasion Up
    • Omega upgrade is now: "This attack can't be Evaded and inflicts Evasion Down for 2 turns"

SPECIAL 1: Mind Tricks
    • This ability can no longer be Evaded
    • Omega upgrade now grants "Jedi and Rebel allies gain 3% Turn Meter for each effect Resisted" in addition to previous bonus of "+15% Turn Meter Reduction Chance"

SPECIAL 2: Devoted Protector
    fi4rsn1cd4uy.gif
    • New ability!
    • Fully upgraded, it reads: "Old Ben gains Taunt for 2 turns. When this Taunt expires, Old Ben gains Taunt for 1 turn. All allies gain Defense Up for 2 turns." (Cooldown 4)

UNIQUE: If You Strike Me Down (REWORKED)
    • Ability reworked, and gained a new ZETA upgrade: "+2% Turn Meter Gain, +20% Heal, +20% Protection Recovery, and the first time Old Ben is defeated all allies gain 25% Turn Meter"
    • Fully upgraded, it reads: "Whenever another Jedi or Rebel ally takes damage, Old Ben gains 5% Turn Meter. The first time Old Ben is defeated, all allies gain Offense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns, recover 50% Health and 50% Protection, and gain 25% Turn Meter."

General Strategy
    • Now tagged as a Rebel, Old Ben fits perfectly under leads such as Jyn Erso. He is able to provide AoE Offense Down, Ability Block, and Turn Meter Removal all in one ability, Mind Tricks.
    • We have changed the way his Unique, “If You Strike Me Down”, works, granting Old Ben 5% Turn Meter each time a Jedi or Rebel ally is damaged. Old Ben cannot be ignored as each strike against his allies gets him closer to ‘Mind Tricking’ you again.
    • Old Ben Gains a new Special Ability, “Devoted Protector”, that grants Old Ben a Taunt for 2 turns that if dispelled or simply runs out due to its duration, grants Old Ben another Taunt for 1 turn.

Please put Old Ben on Arena Shipments or Guild Shipments, or Shard Shop, a lot of players doesn't even have him unlocked.
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

They already said the gif was a bad example to use. I dont think hell be taunting during fracture. I'm guessing what happened was taunt-fractur (which dispels taunt)- Thrawns tm fills up since hes alone-fracture goes away triggering second taunt

I know, I saw what Kozi said, was just getting more info from Scuba. But watch the gif closely, Ben has BOTH taunt and Fracture at the same time. Forget everything else. I use Thrawn all the time and I have never seen a toon with a buff and Fracture at the same time.
  • scuba wrote: »

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

I use thrawn moving first in arena, and i've never seen anyone ive fractured gain crit immunity from kenobi, so i think it goes against the way fracture works
  • Drepd wrote: »
    they should add in the description that he dispels himself and gains taunt. Thats the only way he should be able to gain his taunt again if he is fractured or has any type of buff immunity on him.

I don't see why people are obsessed with fracture, he'll loose his taunt and fracture prevents him from getting it again. Nothing's wrong with Ben tooltip or whatever.

What is worrying me is more Old ben reworeked kit than its tooltip.

Turn 1. Mind trick and then a tank who is still not taunting. No potency, terrible results most certainly.
    Turn 2. Finally he taunts, most certainly dispelled. Great a 1 turn taunt on a 4 turns CD... since no one is taunting you most certainly have lost one toon or two anyway.
    Turn 3 to 6 worthless basic spam while getting a potency up buff which is needed by absolutely no skill during 3 turns.

So... Mind tricks happens still too late, will be resisted cause potency up on his basic is just ridiculous as opposed to Luke, Jyn, Bistan or Sidious own mechanics. Spamming a potency buff only buffing a single skill every 5s is a complete waste of design ressources.

He's barely tanking still too late and his survivability takes a serious hit since evasion up is now missing. A 4 turns CD taunt is also not much reliable.

Old ben isn't worse but his new kit seriously lacks of consistency.

He could have automatically taunted whenever someone gets a debuff or go below 100% health or whatever. He could have started any fight with a 1 turn potency up buff the same way Cassian works and keep evasion up or whatever....
  • ElleMadara wrote: »
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Old Ben)

Old Ben Kenobi has been reworked with two unavoidable attacks and a new special ability: "Devoted Protector" which allows him to taunt at will, making him a threat from the very start of the battle.
    • Old Ben now has the Rebel category tag!

BASIC: Elegant Form
    • Now grants Potency Up instead of Evasion Up
    • Omega upgrade is now: "This attack can't be Evaded and inflicts Evasion Down for 2 turns"

SPECIAL 1: Mind Tricks
    • This ability can no longer be Evaded
    • Omega upgrade now grants "Jedi and Rebel allies gain 3% Turn Meter for each effect Resisted" in addition to previous bonus of "+15% Turn Meter Reduction Chance"

SPECIAL 2: Devoted Protector
    fi4rsn1cd4uy.gif
    • New ability!
    • Fully upgraded, it reads: "Old Ben gains Taunt for 2 turns. When this Taunt expires, Old Ben gains Taunt for 1 turn. All allies gain Defense Up for 2 turns." (Cooldown 4)

UNIQUE: If You Strike Me Down (REWORKED)
    • Ability reworked, and gained a new ZETA upgrade: "+2% Turn Meter Gain, +20% Heal, +20% Protection Recovery, and the first time Old Ben is defeated all allies gain 25% Turn Meter"
    • Fully upgraded, it reads: "Whenever another Jedi or Rebel ally takes damage, Old Ben gains 5% Turn Meter. The first time Old Ben is defeated, all allies gain Offense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns, recover 50% Health and 50% Protection, and gain 25% Turn Meter."

General Strategy
    • Now tagged as a Rebel, Old Ben fits perfectly under leads such as Jyn Erso. He is able to provide AoE Offense Down, Ability Block, and Turn Meter Removal all in one ability, Mind Tricks.
    • We have changed the way his Unique, “If You Strike Me Down”, works, granting Old Ben 5% Turn Meter each time a Jedi or Rebel ally is damaged. Old Ben cannot be ignored as each strike against his allies gets him closer to ‘Mind Tricking’ you again.
    • Old Ben Gains a new Special Ability, “Devoted Protector”, that grants Old Ben a Taunt for 2 turns that if dispelled or simply runs out due to its duration, grants Old Ben another Taunt for 1 turn.

Please put Old Ben on Arena Shipments or Guild Shipments, or Shard Shop, a lot of players doesn't even have him unlocked.

Next week
  • Jamesm
    863 posts Member

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

I know, I saw what Kozi said, was just getting more info from Scuba. But watch the gif closely, Ben has BOTH taunt and Fracture at the same time. Forget everything else. I use Thrawn all the time and I have never seen a toon with a buff and Fracture at the same time.

I think its just happeneing to fast since thrawns alone. Just my opinion though. I dont think taunt will be there in a full team. Well see though.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

This is a special case. Just like Vader's DOTs reapply after a cleanse even if the cleanse gives Tenacity Up. Old Ben's Taunt reapplies after it expires even with Fracture. Then ( in the above example) Thrawn's TM comes back up making Fracture disappear leaving the taunt.
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

I think its just happeneing to fast since thrawns alone. Just my opinion though. I dont think taunt will be there in a full team. Well see though.

Its not happening too fast. Do you use Thrawn? If you do, you will notice no buffs exist along side Fracture. Period. The taunt persists during Fracture and then stays once Fracture expires. You can see Thrawns TM in the upper right corner. Anyway, none of this matters.

Its either a bug they didn't catch and will fix it before deploying another gif or its WAI.
  • CamaroAMF
    1277 posts Member
    Looks like Thrawn dispels the taunt, it's immediately reapplied, then damage, then fracture debuff is applied. OB momentarily has taunt and fracture both, then Thrawn's tm fills up causing fracture to go away, leaving just the taunt.
  • Brownie
    298 posts Member
    Varlie wrote: »

1. dispel buff(s)
    4. damage is done

This is a special case. Just like Vader's DOTs reapply after a cleanse even if the cleanse gives Tenacity Up. Old Ben's Taunt reapplies after it expires even with Fracture. Then ( in the above example) Thrawn's TM comes back up making Fracture disappear leaving the taunt.

This is an accurate rendering of what happens in the gif, but again the question is why? and is it WAI? It does not happen with other toons. Biggs, Savage, Sith under Zaul and probably others Im not thinking of.
  • Skuddy
    137 posts Member
    edited August 2017

Fracture makes taunt expire, and then he immediately retaunts. It's actually pretty **** cool

Edit: other posts here pointed out fracture is an ability block, so probably a bug for now. Wait for devs to make "taunt can't be prevented" tag or something. OR depending on how the sequence of events goes this may fall under advance rule set deal. Where fracture dispells taunt, taunt reapplies, and THEN fracture applies. Allowing taunt to stay
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Looks like Thrawn dispels the taunt, it's immediately reapplied, then damage, then fracture debuff is applied. OB momentarily has taunt and fracture both, then Thrawn's tm fills up causing fracture to go away, leaving just the taunt.

Yeah this is what it looks like to me as well... kind of a glitchy scenario to demonstrate his new ability

I doubt the taunt would remain if the fracture was still active and if someone other than Thrawn moved next