For Those Asking About the Start Date of the Luke Event...

Replies

• Winstar wrote: »
    Also in the newsletter they sent three days ago said the event will start "next week", correct? That puts it the same as the timeline on that event calendar where it say redacted. Guess they aren't really smooth about being incognito.

homer-incognito.gif

I believe it said tbe toon reworks were "next week." Not the event itself.

Actually it says the toon rewoorks will ALSO be arriving next week. So with that, EA may have inadvertently given away the event date.
  • skywhopper wrote: »
    They didn't release the dates yet for two reasons.

1. They need to make sure CLS's kit is well QAed. They don't want to release a huge toon like this that will be arena ready for many folks on day one without lots of testing.

2. Once the toon is ready, they want to maximize their profit on this event. They have stats on how fast people are farming which nodes, and how much $$$ is being spent doing so. They tease out that you need X chars. They watch their numbers as people start spending crystals and money to farm Old Ben, Luke, whoever they don't have. They crunch the numbers to see how long it will take most people who are just one or two toons short to make it, then they will set the event dates to come in right at or before that date, to keep the pressure up, and to encourage spending on the packs they make available. They have finance people running these numbers, calculating the maximum profit based on which pack price and composition, etc, knowing that some people will buy to get CLS on day one, and some will wait till the last day to try to FTP farm, and some people will ragequit the game and stop playing for a few days or forever, etc. But do not doubt that they are paying close attention. They know how these announcements and forum speculation affect player behavior, and they are doing their best to maximize profit while keeping players interested. As a post here has pointed out, a panic farm actually increases engagement for a lot of players, even if they aren't spending more. This is frustrating for many, but ultimately it feeds the addiction. If you panic farm and pull it off, you're now that much more invested in the game, and your habits of playing every day are that much more ingrained, and your likelihood to spend is higher, and your sense of value is distorted that much further. (200 crystals for a refresh... doesn't seem so expensive anymore somehow, hmm....)

In other words, yes I'm farming my butt off to get this toon, and I look forward to finding out how much I will have to pay to make it happen in the end. Thank you, CG, may I have another??

Been lurking forever and I just want to say this is the best post I've read on this forum! Very well said, got me thinking about my gaming habit now. **** it CG - hook, line and sinker!
  • BoZaNoVa
    33 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Why would CG redact a date and then push it forward? So going by this logic, CLS' event, in my opinion, will be pushed back to a late July date.
    Post edited by BoZaNoVa on
  • BoZaNoVa
    33 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Also Whales, Dolphins and long time players aren't the target with the CLS event. I believe their main demographic is mid to short time players who, they hope, are willing to spend money. CG's tactic is to massage this player base and play on their hopes in getting the toons completed on time to make a huge financial return. As long as hope is high and people are spending money, CG will hold back on the event. Basic marketing strategy.
  • Azn_sensashun
    137 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Hey, this is one of the events that will actually be in "August"...lol
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    BoZaNoVa wrote: »
    Why would CG redact a date and then push it forward? So going by this logic, CLS' event, in my opinion, will be pushed back to a late July date.

Nothing's actually been redacted though. It's a cutesy thing they did with Thrawn that they're continuing. It also didn't make a lot of sense with Thrawn though...great, it's redacted. So where's the new date?
  • What about this....they put Luke as the login character right? They run the event from the 10th to the 15th. Some people get him, some people dont. Everyone cries in uproar, but they were secretly planning to run it a second time, on the 24th, after the yoda event, until the end of august, which gives people some of those shards for luke. Then, if you didnt get him this time around in August, you are SOL because thats two chances in one month and they'll hold out for a crazy long time for him again.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    Dxdavis18 wrote: »
    What about this....they put Luke as the login character right? They run the event from the 10th to the 15th. Some people get him, some people dont. Everyone cries in uproar, but they were secretly planning to run it a second time, on the 24th, after the yoda event, until the end of august, which gives people some of those shards for luke. Then, if you didnt get him this time around in August, you are SOL because thats two chances in one month and they'll hold out for a crazy long time for him again.

It'll be one week only and the only way to make sure you have the required chars at 7* is to buy the shard packs which will arrive in store the minute the Empire packs expire. Panic rush to buy will generate more money, not running it twice.
  • Reyalp wrote: »
    Dxdavis18 wrote: »
    What about this....they put Luke as the login character right? They run the event from the 10th to the 15th. Some people get him, some people dont. Everyone cries in uproar, but they were secretly planning to run it a second time, on the 24th, after the yoda event, until the end of august, which gives people some of those shards for luke. Then, if you didnt get him this time around in August, you are SOL because thats two chances in one month and they'll hold out for a crazy long time for him again.

It'll be one week only and the only way to make sure you have the required chars at 7* is to buy the shard packs which will arrive in store the minute the Empire packs expire. Panic rush to buy will generate more money, not running it twice.

You're right, its all about the money :frowning:
  • BoZaNoVa wrote: »
    Also Whales, Dolphins and long time players aren't the target with the CLS event. I believe their main demographic is mid to short time players who, they hope, are willing to spend money. CG's tactic is to massage this player base and play on their hopes in getting the toons completed on time to make a huge financial return. As long as hope is high and people are spending money, CG will hold back on the event. Basic marketing strategy.

Here's the problem though, there was no indication that R2 was going to run again and the Empire packs are severely lacking for those "mid to short time players." I'll use my nephews account as an example. It's been active since the Pheonix event, and was able to max STHan and Luke as well as get Ben and Leia into striking distance...

But he won't finish R2. So, full stop with this event. There's no point.

And the only Imperial packs are for difficult farm characters. He has a start on Veers (20/65 atm), but even if he had purchased both Veers Packs day 1 (80$) he'd still be 70 shards short. Given the packs they used here there's no way to finish even one Imperial without dropping hundreds of dollars.

If they're going for the mid/short crowd they should have added more imperial packs instead of just re-running the hard farm troopers.
  • skywhopper wrote: »
    They didn't release the dates yet for two reasons.

1. They need to make sure CLS's kit is well QAed. They don't want to release a huge toon like this that will be arena ready for many folks on day one without lots of testing.

2. Once the toon is ready, they want to maximize their profit on this event. They have stats on how fast people are farming which nodes, and how much $$$ is being spent doing so. They tease out that you need X chars. They watch their numbers as people start spending crystals and money to farm Old Ben, Luke, whoever they don't have. They crunch the numbers to see how long it will take most people who are just one or two toons short to make it, then they will set the event dates to come in right at or before that date, to keep the pressure up, and to encourage spending on the packs they make available. They have finance people running these numbers, calculating the maximum profit based on which pack price and composition, etc, knowing that some people will buy to get CLS on day one, and some will wait till the last day to try to FTP farm, and some people will ragequit the game and stop playing for a few days or forever, etc. But do not doubt that they are paying close attention. They know how these announcements and forum speculation affect player behavior, and they are doing their best to maximize profit while keeping players interested. As a post here has pointed out, a panic farm actually increases engagement for a lot of players, even if they aren't spending more. This is frustrating for many, but ultimately it feeds the addiction. If you panic farm and pull it off, you're now that much more invested in the game, and your habits of playing every day are that much more ingrained, and your likelihood to spend is higher, and your sense of value is distorted that much further. (200 crystals for a refresh... doesn't seem so expensive anymore somehow, hmm....)

In other words, yes I'm farming my butt off to get this toon, and I look forward to finding out how much I will have to pay to make it happen in the end. Thank you, CG, may I have another??

@skywhopper lol that was great. I'm in the same boat. Farming like crazy.

• kaitco
    14 posts Member
    skywhopper wrote: »
    They know how these announcements and forum speculation affect player behavior, and they are doing their best to maximize profit while keeping players interested. As a post here has pointed out, a panic farm actually increases engagement for a lot of players, even if they aren't spending more. This is frustrating for many, but ultimately it feeds the addiction. If you panic farm and pull it off, you're now that much more invested in the game, and your habits of playing every day are that much more ingrained, and your likelihood to spend is higher, and your sense of value is distorted that much further. (200 crystals for a refresh... doesn't seem so expensive anymore somehow, hmm....)

Wow! This is precisely what we're seeing with the panic farming.

For Phoenix/Thrawn, I managed to get them all to 5* and unlock Thrawn in time for the event. This daily surge kept me in the game far more than I had prior to the event AND, since I knew that Thrawn would eventually return, I've kept up efforts to get my Phoenix team to 7*.

Same thing is occurring with Commander Luke's event. I'm farming Old Ben like a fiend right now because during his meta, I was still stubbornly using my Luminara. I'd caught the "hints" that Luke would be later needed and casually farmed him through Guild Store to 7*, but I had to start from scratch with Old Ben. I unlocked him Saturday and I've bumped him to 5* today. Even now, doing a fourth refresh at 200 crystals isn't seeming all that unreasonable, and that's with a fair certainty that Old Ben shards could appear in the Shard Shop or packs right before the event begins.

If I manage to pull off my 7* Old Ben before Comm Luke's event ends, I will definitely be more engaged with the game than I was when I was only doing things like throwing shards at Nute Gunray because I'd run out of Arena Store characters.

The timing and execution of Luke's event is really fantastic...from a certain point of view.
  • DBane wrote: »

Already 8 August here.. i think we live in different planet.

Kidding :#
  • @skywhopper great post!
  • XLlIZH<[img][/img]
    DBane wrote: »

Game Update Status: Update: DELAYED
    Finalizing testing. This delay should not shift any of the scheduled events or content.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    My hope is that Devs are reading the reactions on here and adjusting both the release date and duration according. Pretty much everyone who is farming for CLS is looking about 3 weeks.

Not really. I could be ready tomorrow. The people who are ready, or close to it, aren't complaining. Judging by the few dozen complaining, it seems as though there are either many more ready than you suspect, or most of them just realize that they'll snag CLS next time around.

It seems to me the ones complaining are newer players and upset they don't get instant gratification and actually have to put some time into the game before getting the best toons.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    XLlIZH<[img][/img]

Finalizing testing. This delay should not shift any of the scheduled events or content.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/96655/game-update-status-8-7#latest

Check Again. :smiley:
  • Rogee
    178 posts Member
    kaitco wrote: »
    ...I will definitely be more engaged with the game than I was when I was only doing things like throwing shards at Nute Gunray because I'd run out of Arena Store characters.

I laughed at the 'throwing shards at Nute Gunray' comment.
    Now I'm throwing arena tokens at CUP... since he's the only one I haven't 7* from that shop... and visions of grandeur of an awesome CUP rework!
  • Status just changed, "working on content update (8/9)" just a day makes me so sad....
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    XLlIZH<[img][/img]

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/96655/game-update-status-8-7#latest

dont look right now. just dont look
  • Mihai29
    592 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    XLlIZH<[img][/img]

Post edited by Mihai29 on
  • Mihai29 wrote: »
    XLlIZH<[img][/img]

In 45 min in London will be 8/9
    I m waiting

You might as well go to bed pal. CG operates in the US. Don't expect anything for another 24hrs.
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    gatormatt wrote: »

You might as well go to bed pal. CG operates in the US. Don't expect anything for another 24hrs.

5a3ec71e387f0db6dbf5f5c9a2743772.gif
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Wampa
    53 posts Member
    Just got Old Ben Shards in the Shard shop hope that continues
  • Wampa wrote: »

Are you sure it wasn't Dooku? :p

• Jedi_of_Oz wrote: »
    Wampa wrote: »

Are you sure it wasn't Dooku? :p

Gah. Don't know how many times I clicked on Dooku while trying to either farm shards or look at what gear is needed for OB. Grey bearded ****.
  • CLS event before Saturday. Event info 01/08 post is listed in chronological order by start date

Luke Skywalker Flash Events
    Starts: Aug 3rd

Daring Droid [R2-D2]
    Starts: Aug 3rd

Omega Battle: Bespin
    Starts Aug 5th

Omega Battle: Coruscant
    Starts: Aug 6th

Hero's Journey
    Starts: [Redacted]

Assault Battles: Ground War
    Starts: Aug 12th

Grandmasters Training: Yoda Event
    Starts: Aug 17th

Omega Battles: Dathomir
    Starts: Aug 19th

Omega Battles: Endor
    Starts:Aug 20th

Assault Battles: Place of Power
    Starts: Aug 26th
  • I agree. I think it'll be tomorrow. R2 started last Thursday, and Yoda didn't move to next Thursday for nothin'!
This discussion has been closed.