Obfuscating the CLS Event is Disappointing For Many

Prev1
SwiftMooky
347 posts Member
edited August 2017
For context, I am a level 85, been playing for about 14 months.

Obviously no one is entitled to a new character by virtue of its release. However, with 2 weeks more notice and a week extension of the event itself, farming (and for me, still buying at least one pack) the necessary toons would have been doable for a lot more people, including me.

It was frustrating fighting a CLS team on my final GW node today, knowing that I would probably never get CLS (who knows when the event is coming out again), and if I ever do get him in the future, he will probably be made obsolete (although he looks pretty awesome by all accounts, so he'll probably be top-tier for a long time) by whatever toons have been released by that point.

And look - the fact that he will be obsolete at some point would not have stopped me from farming/buying the shards necessary. I'm fine with dropping $20 to get the shards I need to finish the CLS event, but I was too far behind to avail even that. Releasing the most iconic of all Star Wars figures and bottlenecking access to the toon only works if the paywall is actually a paywall. Right now, no amount of money will allow me to get Luke (the 699 shard packs? You kidding me?).

This isn't me threatening to leave or warning the devs of some max exodus of unsatisfied players. I just want to see my own Luke Skywalker wack stuff with his lightsaber while R2 sets some fools on fire. Yes, it's just a game, yes, nobody is making me play it, blah blah blah. I get it. I get that. But I'm losing a lot of nostalgic value here, which could have been alleviated like I said originally, just a fraction more prep time. This post is simply to register the sincere sadness I felt today with that realization.

Replies

• But it was easy for such an iconic character. I'm sorry for you brother, but we must be fair, it was possible
  • Kissycat
    410 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Now this is how you register a complaint! I agree with you, the timeframe was a bit rushed. I was lucky enough to play during the old man dodge meta and chose OB as my lead (offense up is only good if you can hit someone :wink: ). OB was actually my very first 7*. I farmed StH and Leia for palpatine when I came back. The only one I was missing was Luke. I feel your pain and frustration OP, there are many in my guild who won't get CLS. Worry not, I believe he will return. When? Who knows at this point.
    That being said, I was able to correctly guess the necessary toons in early July.
  • I have to agree with the original post. Leading up to the event, I read a lot about how the needed characters have been out forever, so we should all have them. I'm on a November 2015 shard, and I didn't have them. Why? Because as f2p I have to pick and choose which characters I get and improve, and over time, those toons just weren't worth it. So yeah, I'm left behind here. And like SwiftMooky said, I tried to catch up in a hurry, even dropping that $20, but there wasn't near enough time. So I'll focus on other things, hope that territory battles is awesome, and not worry about it. It is a bit discouraging, though, and feels a bit like a cash grab.
  • I wouldn't say the time frame was rushed, when they started the heroes journey a few months back they stated he would be joined by old friends when it next appeared, anyone who has seen star wars would've worked out that Old Ben would probably be needed. They threw a curveball with the other 3, but he was a pretty obvious choice
  • The timing of the advance warning has definitely been considered at the highest level. They intentionally didnt give sufficient time for all free players to farm the required characters from scratch as this would make the character free for everyone and cut into revenue.

You either had to be lucky, have the foresight based on clues, or pay money. It's possible to unlock CLS from scratch given the advance warningbut $$ is needed. This is WAI.
  • Jenojo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the time frame was rushed, when they started the heroes journey a few months back they stated he would be joined by old friends when it next appeared, anyone who has seen star wars would've worked out that Old Ben would probably be needed. They threw a curveball with the other 3, but he was a pretty obvious choice

That
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    It's almost like there is no downside to making commander luke super accessible, or is there?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Should have just given everyone a fully geared CLS over the weekend or something
  • Look, no event is gonna be perfect, especially for f2p players. Of course p2p will always have the advantage - that's the point of paying, right? This is just the first one where I felt I didn't have a chance. Was ready for Yoda, ready for R2, didn't get 7* Thrawn because I had chosen to not work on Phoenix at first (they'll be ready for the next time, though!). So it's hard to say why there's more dissatisfaction with this one, but that's the discussion within my guild, too. It's all good, and I'll do my best to be competitive with the toons I can get, and hope to be ready for the next cls event... next August.
  • Widget_gadget
    875 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    The big rub for me was assuming there would ve a pool of characters to choose from to complete your team. ANY empire toon, or ANY rebel, OR ANY jedi for events in the past. Then we get here and its ONLY these 4 characters. I probably should have farmed old ben, but it was still a gamble for a then sub par character, when past event mechanics indicated that we would be able to draw from a pool. Im sure someone will have something kitten to say in response to this. They havent disappointed me so far. So let if rip.
    Post edited by Ambassador on
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Kissycat wrote: »
    Now this is how you register a complaint! I agree with you, the timeframe was a bit rushed.
    I was lucky enough to play during the old man dodge meta and chose OB as my lead (offense up is only good if you can hit someone :wink: ). OB was actually my very first 7*. I farmed StH and Leia for palpatine when I came back. The only one I was missing was Luke. I feel your pain and frustration OP, there are many in my guild who won't get CLS. Worry not, I believe he will return. When? Who knows at this point.
    That being said, I was able to correctly guess the necessary toons in early July.

Yeah it was us who rushed them to give us new stuff... We want it now! Making "August" jokes and such. Sorry for everyones' troubles, maybe it isn't fair to a few, but most of the players without CMD Luke after this even did it to themselves.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Look guys, I've shared my opinion in a couple of threads, and I will probably not be able to unlock CLS due to the gear/credit crunch alone.
    And I'm ok with that, I really am - even though Luke is my childhood hero.
    However, don't try and paint a picture here that this toon is easy to acquire and if you didn't, it's because you didn't pick up on the clues.
    Let me shar my experience:
    1) I wasn't able to get R2 the first time around, since my main focus on this game are Jedi. Nevertheless, I slowly started to build up an Empire team, which I improved for the Eowks events. by then, I though I had a team that could 7* R2.
    2) Last tier on R2 was a punch in the face - my team was not ready as I thought. So after dumping a shitload of materials on toons, I was able to finally get my 7* R2;
    3) They release the info of CLS only lasting a week. At this point all my resources are dried out, because I had to level/gear/mod 10 toons in order to unlock CLS.
    So yeah, CLS should be hard to get, people shouldn't be mad if they don't get it this time around but plz, pretty please, do not portrait this situation as "well it happens", because it isn't so. The requirements are steep because the game wants to milk us.
    PS: having a whole ewok pass 2 weeks prior to the whole thing was Genious. "Are you hoarding? Here, waste all of your resources on toons you won't need" Cha Ching!
  • Kissycat wrote: »
    Now this is how you register a complaint! I agree with you, the timeframe was a bit rushed.
    I was lucky enough to play during the old man dodge meta and chose OB as my lead (offense up is only good if you can hit someone :wink: ). OB was actually my very first 7*. I farmed StH and Leia for palpatine when I came back. The only one I was missing was Luke. I feel your pain and frustration OP, there are many in my guild who won't get CLS. Worry not, I believe he will return. When? Who knows at this point.

Yeah it was us who rushed them to give us new stuff... We want it now! Making "August" jokes and such. Sorry for everyones' troubles, maybe it isn't fair to a few, but most of the players without CMD Luke after this even did it to themselves.

I agree the whole event seemed rushed. It was probably planned for AFTER the daily log in shards were collected at the end of the month, after the r2 event returned, and after the proper system was put in place to help farm characters. The problem is that TB are on the way soon and the cls event needed to be over before TB started. This is my best guess.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    How on earth does this event seem rushed? it was known commander luke would drop in august, known for quite a while i might add. The event itself was fun to play and seemed like there has been put alot of though into it, there were 4(!) reworks to go along with the event. Nothing seems rushed about this event at all. Maybe if you aren't ready it seems rushed when viewing things from your own perspective, but i'm reasonably sure the devs didn't go live with the event sooner than planned, atleast i see nothing that makes me wonder if they rushed the event.
  • LOL @People saying "such an iconic character." This version of Luke is nowhere near as iconic as Vader nor Emperor Palpatine nor Yoda!! When they launch Jedi Luke, that will be an iconic character worthy of these kind of limitations. Even still Jedi Luke should only be marginally more iconic than the above stated because he was the hero. The fact that this version will be needed to unlock the Jedi Luke is probably an indication that CLS event will return prior to that.

• I didnt mean the event design seemed rushed. It was actually a well designed and fun event. What i meant was it seemed the event was planned for the end of the month.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I didnt mean the event design seemed rushed. It was actually a well designed and fun event. What i meant was it seemed the event was planned for the end of the month.

why though? Other than luke being the login character this month, wich is kinda odd i agree, nothing gives me reason to believe they planned it at the end of the month. Everything else seemed to indicate a middle of the month release.
  • The fact that they had to move the r2 event at the last minute. The fact that we had a truncated farming window compared to other events. And the fact that they just pushed 5 hard node attempts everywhere rather than taking the time to code the necessary rebel characters.
  • Maybe they had to rush it so they can release territory battles at the end of the month.
  • Jenojo wrote: »
    Maybe they had to rush it so they can release territory battles at the end of the month.

This is the most likely scenario.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    The fact that they had to move the r2 event at the last minute. The fact that we had a truncated farming window compared to other events. And the fact that they just pushed 5 hard node attempts everywhere rather than taking the time to code the necessary rebel characters.

r2 event would have been last minute either way, even if it was 2 weeks later.
    to be honest, i don't remember how long in advance we got a notification for the palpatine, r2, yoda and thrawn event.
    I might have missed the announcement, but were those increased attempts on hardnodes related to the luke event? It's not like those are going to make a large difference since you can only farm farnboy in hard nodes, and even for farmboy it isn't a large increase in avialability. That's why i thought those 2 things weren't related, but i could be wrong.
    Anyway, it still doesn't feel "rushed" to me. You're probably not going to convince me either and vice versa.
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    (I only read the OP, but I did read it all)

I believe the Legendary characters, and even more for the Lukes, are supposed to be exclusive on first release. CG has designed the system in such a way that it is simply not possible for a large portion of the game's population to obtain them. I happen to agree with this, even though I have not always been able to get the Legendary characters on first run (though I did get CL).

I understand where OP is coming from, and it's unfortunate, but I believe it was done this way on purpose to keep the number of Luke's on first run to a minimum.

I do suggest everyone uses this as a learning experience. Though they said in that podcast that they haven't decided how to release Jedi Luke, the "road ahead" blog post said the journey ends with his escape from the Death Star. Based on this event, make sure to prioritize his "friends" in all your farming so you are ready for the next one.
  • The fact that we had a truncated farming window compared to other events.
    Yoda's first iteration was way shorter. I don't even remember if we had any advance warning back then, and certainly no 80-shard pack to quicken the farming. Emperor Palpatine's wasn't much longer either.
  • Shorter than 8 days?
  • I understand your need for a couple more weeks of farming. I myself would like them as well. But if you had those two extra weeks, what would you say to the players that need three more weeks to get ready? Four weeks? Six weeks? At what point do we say enough?

The bottom line is that you have five days left in the event. If you have all the requirements in place before it ends, then congratulations you did it, enjoy the rewards. If you don't, then just work toward the next time around. We've all been there, and probably will be again.
  • Shorter than 8 days?
    First, yes, shorter than 8 days.
    Second, you've had over two months to think over the characters that would be needed in August : the shards received for the 40th anniversary had a text saying the Hero's Journey was in August. And given the fact the flash events concerned Jawas and Tuskens (present in ANH) and that the Journey's early texts made references to a "daring escape" from the Empire's ultimate weapon (cue the rescue of Leia), it was only prudent to start farming those characters.
  • Thats the point. I dont want puzzle over who the clues might point to. If i did i would just watch murder she wrote. I want them to tell me who the hot damp characters are so i can farm them. Jesus. No one gets this? Its not carmen sandiego. Just tell me. And I'll farm them.
  • Thats the point. I dont want puzzle over who the clues might point to. If i did i would just watch murder she wrote. I want them to tell me who the hot damp characters are so i can farm them. Jesus. No one gets this? Its not carmen sandiego. Just tell me. And I'll farm them.

... why don't they just give you the characters, fully geared and modded and save all that time and effort... you'd probably think it was no fun and quit the game though.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard

... why don't they just give you the characters, fully geared and modded and save all that time and effort... you'd probably think it was no fun and quit the game though.

I dont understand the relevance of this comment to the quoted comment? Because i dont want to decipher cryptic messages im an impatient entitled lazy person that wants to take the easy way out and essentially will "take my ball and go home" if i dont get my way? Or were you just trying to be funny?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Thats the point. I dont want puzzle over who the clues might point to. If i did i would just watch murder she wrote. I want them to tell me who the hot damp characters are so i can farm them. Jesus. No one gets this? Its not carmen sandiego. Just tell me. And I'll farm them.

i would consider the events alot less fun if they gave everyone (even people who don't like to puzzle and/or casual players) enough time to prepare to get 7 star legendary characters. I even consider this event less fun because i was ready by accident. Except for farmboy, but it's almost like they told us, it could be seen as "hinted" though. I farmed him from the guild store, so yea... not exactly the fastest farm and i was still ready in time.