Recent change to Galactic War - open conversation

Replies

• SithStu wrote: »
    I am level 49, soon to be 50, and I am facing teams that are level 60+ and 6+ stars. I have only been playing for a few weeks and I can't possibly beat these teams. I'm all for a challenge and think GW is a good idea due to its rewards, but come on! Give us new guys a chance. Now you've made it so darn hard to get shards and droids that I can't gear and level up. If you want to weed out the F2P then just simply tell us so we can stop wasting time.

Good call. Yes please, tell us. Even as someone who puts money in the game I am getting frustrated.
  • MrClean621 wrote: »
    Since I have been critical in this thread I must also give credit where it is due. I'm not sure if something has been adjusted but the last few days have been more reasonable. A nice balance. Still very difficult. Still have to use my full supply of chars. Toons still die. I still have to retreat a lot and try new things. However... It is winnable now if I take my time. I can't just plow through it with my main squad. I have to think, use my chars unique abilities and leadership abilities depending on the matchup.

I still haven't finished every time but looking back realize that I probably could have if I did something different instead of becoming impatient.

Like I said... Maybe I have just gotten lucky and it's going to go back to hitting impossible squads. But if something has been adjusted then good job Devs! I think you are getting closer to what you intended. A challenging sequence of battles that requires patience, an array of character abilities, and a little bit of luck.

Same observation here. Seems to have gone from impossible to competitive again. Not easy, but balanced and challenging. Now I'm waiting for a dev to chime in and say they haven't done a thing. Then I'll eat my plate of crow.
  • Galactic War should be POSSIBLE to beat based on your roster. If battle three will wipe at least three people on your roster no matter how many times you retreat, it's not fun. It's that simple.

"Pawns" that are 30 levels below are not pawns. Why not scale all people on the roster to see how cool they will be? Or scale all to an average or scale lowest up. Or scale highest down. I don't know.

Current changes make it not fun based on my roster. The game should be fun no matter who is on your roster. You shouldn't have to play it "properly" to maximize rewards.
  • I logged in for the first time to say GW is just....broken. So ridiculous, way too hard. After I saw comments about your highest rank ever in Arena w/ your top characters determining GW, I realized a good run I had recently in Arena had permanently broken GW for me FML. By round 3, 4 I'm facing purple Lv 70 teams haha ****!?

Before the patch I had only beat GW once. I found it really difficult, but challenging and I spent hrs planning my teams and line-ups. DONT LAUGH - I did not know about the retreat abuse tactic so I was actually probably playing the friggin mode as intended lmao. I understand why they tweeked it but it's frackin broke now.

It's so obvious and transparent a move that they must be called out on it. They were seeing way too much shard farming going on and literally built a brick wall to stop it. Along with this bogus Yoda event they are trying to squeeze mid level players into spending $ and trying to temp feed the whales something.
  • Even if you play it properly you can run into a flat out wall. I'm 57 5* avg. This was the end of my guild war today.

jQdEkq3.jpg
  • Jaybayblay wrote: »
    Monkeyman wrote: »
    LaLiam wrote: »
    Tying to work out where the above comment was edited so that the poster thought it had a high enough level of English
    :D

trash have nothing to say, autism is too strong for you :'(
    I'm a bit surprised Mods haven't reined you in for personal abuse. Try and keep it out of the gutter kiddo.

I finished it again today but it was a rough ride particularly at node 9 where I came up against Poggle(L), GS, 86, 88, and Poe. All L70, 7* and maxed gear. To get through that with my A Team intact, strong health and minimal cool downs it cost me a half decent suicide squad followed by a crap suicide squad until I could get Poggle and Poe on cooldowns simultaneously and thence take out the 3 DPS.

I haven't seen a better synergised squad than that.

If you are going to shoot, shoot, don't talk - Tuco Ramirez
  • MeetraSurik
    313 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Monkeyman wrote: »
    EnderU wrote: »
    90% of people complain GW is too hard....

10% of people complain GW is too easy....

Why not make a hard version (better/more prizes) and and easier version (lower quality/less prizes).
    Correction. 90% of people don't complain and just get on with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
    To beg a question means to assume the conclusion of an argument—a type of circular reasoning. This is an informal fallacy, in which an arguer includes the conclusion to be proven within a premise of the argument, often in an indirect way such that its presence within the premise is hidden or at least not easily apparent.[1]
  • My counter 90% argument, was an assumption based on the number of people who play the game, struggle with GW and don't complain about it (ie. Don't post in this thread). On that basis I trust you would agree that in the absence of specific knowledge of the size of the current player base on SWGOH 90% would be extremely conservative.

I do acknowledge however that some of the situations highlighted in this thread are major mismatches. A Level 58 5* team has little chance against a Level 70 7* team.
    If you are going to shoot, shoot, don't talk - Tuco Ramirez
  • Still want it changed back have only won it 3 times since patch
  • Used to get pretty close to finishing Galactic War and now my teams are getting wiped out within the first 5 battles. It seems like the more I improve my characters now the harder the opposition I face. Whats the point if you can't complete it?
  • Monkeyman wrote: »
    My counter 90% argument, was an assumption based on the number of people who play the game, struggle with GW and don't complain about it (ie. Don't post in this thread). On that basis I trust you would agree that in the absence of specific knowledge of the size of the current player base on SWGOH 90% would be extremely conservative.

I do acknowledge however that some of the situations highlighted in this thread are major mismatches. A Level 58 5* team has little chance against a Level 70 7* team.

That's all true, and I wouldn't argue. I read your original statement as including the implicit "90% of people have no problem", which apparently was a misunderstanding on my part.

Bit more on topic now, I've seen a sharp decrease in difficulty after the Poe nerf/speed rework. On 2/13 not only did I beat every team without losing a single person, but I hadn't even touched my 5* 70 Barriss. I'm still in favor of doing SOMETHING for those that are struggling at the lower levels, especially if they're getting 70 whale teams in the low 60's. Furthermore, the fact that it draws opponents cross-server, and uses the highest attained Arena rank to determine difficulty, should probably only kick in once you hit 70, as well. Just lowering the level of matched opponents seems to be a half measure, given how much more synergy affects difficulty than just flat numbers do.
  • GW log, 2/14 1:22:45 am.

After yesterday's brick wall, today gave me what I consider to be the perfect difficulty for GW. I finished the campaign with 2 characters left alive. That's the down to the wire, attrition based challenge I'm looking for, not keeping everyone alive to round 9 or 10 then hitting a 7* squad 13 levels above me that wipes my entire 23 character roster.

Nodes where you lose 2 characters are good, nodes where you lose 20 characters becaue the enemy team kills all your characters before you get to act are bad.
  • I'm level 69 f2p and get waxed about 66% through GW. haven't beat it once since the patch. Can't win now unless you have the best toons(spend money) or have 15+ toons max starred/leveled/geared(spend money).

There's no strategy that can combat the strong enemies I face.
  • Good job. Love it!!! Splendid!!! Marverlous!!! Gorgeous!!! Fantastic!!! Nice GW. Now it's very challenging. We just need Team A B C D E .... Z with maxed gear and maxed skill. Oh wait, how are we gonna do it when we cant get a substantial amount of ability mats. At least not from GW anymore because we are too busy dying at 5th-7th node. And the drop rate of ability mat mkiii in Cantina is incredibly low. Good job. ****hands down to this GW change****

Xoxoxo ^^
  • Maybe its just me...but GW SHOULD be hard if you aren't max level shouldn't it?
  • Maybe its just me...but GW SHOULD be hard if you aren't max level shouldn't it?

It's just you Mr. President. We're happy for it to be hard. Less happy for it to be ridiculous.
  • My biggest gripe about GW is how i get matched with lvl 74 6*&7* opposing teams, by your guys design we as players are capped at 70, and its hard to get a win with opposing teams turn meter seems infinate not letting me have a turn untill all my team is devastated, and healers have debuffs or dead, i understand it should be difficult but in my opinion NPC's should not have a four or five lvl increase with a turn meter gauge that seems infinite.

P.S. Im an active member of M.L.F. Free the mouse disney stop trying to do away with public domain property, maybe some Disney P.R. person can explain why they own Seal Team Six name and Emblem, both of which was registerd 12 hours after the announcement of **** death. I say again Free The Mouse.
  • For me it looks like EA want a whale only game
  • Registered to voice my annoyance as well. Before the retreat change, I was completing GW about 4/5 attempts. After the retreat change, it was 2/5 attempts, but I at least made it to the final one or two encounters each time. In the past week, it's now dropped to 0/5 and I'm lucky to make it past round 5. Today I got hit with 5x 7* purples 5 levels higher at round 3. Not fun, not challenging, just a brick wall that can only be overcome by spending money or months grinding at 100 or 200 reward gems a day.
  • please change gw it's ridiculous now. I'm max level and have lumi, Darth sid, bares level 70 gear 7 and 8, 6 and 7 stars and I can't make it past the second round. Defeats the whole point because now I can't get credits to level my characters, crystals to refresh, the marks to increase skills and shards to level my characters. This is a wall that EVEN if I put money into the game i can't pass. This isn't even fun for people who are P2P. Please change this.
  • I'll join in again and say GW is terrible now. There is no fun in it anymore.
  • After hitting the brick wall yesterday (I'm lvl 61 and faced a full 70, 7* max gear team!) today was a good run, the way it should be. I had to use pretty much my full roster which is fairly deep since I still play for characters vs. Arena ranks BUT I was able to finish. It was definitely a grind and I had to switch up teams a few times but I finished. If it stayed like that I would be happy. Make it tough but fair. Yesterday was a slaughter!
  • So any concrete admissions by devs as to how exactly opponent difficulty is determined? I have a couple toons I want to 7* but not if it makes GW any harder.
  • Only my second time even reading the forum since late December (and then only for character strategy to beat GW). I've noticed in 2 months as a F2P ($21) that all paying really does is allow you to play a little bit more and Slowly farm shards, etc. At first the money I tried was just thrown away. This game is very hard to start. Now I am finally doing well at level 69 (yesterday) with mostly dark side characters (who seem strongest). I seldom defeated the GW (3 times) until the last 8 days (6-2). I think my recent success is a combo of things, but the update has been alright for me.
  • i don't like that you have to wait until everyone is killed on your team before you can put in a new guy. I know about the retreat option but I hate losing progress that I've made against the other team. Not being able to put in your bench players is what leads to such a quick slaughter. Also, the combat system is...not quite sure how to say it...inflexible...if someone is 10 levels above you you have no chance...I think you should get beat the majority of time in such a case but you should always have a cnance.
  • Some tips to those F2P still struggling with GW:
    Never spend crystals on buying new heroes. Use them to refresh energy so you can farm for gear and shards to improve heroes better. Leveling gear and ability mats is almost more important than hero level. Only level up a hero when you need to to raise their gear or abilities. If you just concentrate on hero level than you will be outclassed by other teams in GW.
    Try to max out your 5 core characters and make them as powerful as possible plus have a 2-5 decent backup to swap in and out if needed.
    Only bother to star heroes who have 5 shards that are easily farmable in one of the stores.. and not just from 3 lightside/darkside missions a day.
    Also, don't be afraid to send a suicide squad of low level heroes in first to die and absorb all of the enemy's first special attacks and may even cancel a Taunt or 2. Sometimes these suicide squads can be TOO weak as they may die by one or 2 AOE attacks so make sure 1 or 2 heroes have decent hitpoints to absorb special attacks as well.
    If you don't have 3 healers.. grab another and level the heck out of it. Make sure there is a minimum of 2 healers in every GW battle, but 3 would be even better. Having Barriss or Luminara as team leader is great as they heal every hero every turn, plus their extra health or evade helps you last longer.
    Lastly, when you are in a battle and down to the last 2-3 enemies, heal up your squad and stop using specials so they will have cooled off for the next battle. You will need those specials to try and take out the enemies strongest hero in the first round.
    Good luck.
  • Robobob wrote: »
    Some tips to those F2P still struggling with GW:
    Never spend crystals on buying new heroes. Use them to refresh energy so you can farm for gear and shards to improve heroes better. Leveling gear and ability mats is almost more important than hero level. Only level up a hero when you need to to raise their gear or abilities. If you just concentrate on hero level than you will be outclassed by other teams in GW.
    Try to max out your 5 core characters and make them as powerful as possible plus have a 2-5 decent backup to swap in and out if needed.
    Only bother to star heroes who have 5 shards that are easily farmable in one of the stores.. and not just from 3 lightside/darkside missions a day.
    Also, don't be afraid to send a suicide squad of low level heroes in first to die and absorb all of the enemy's first special attacks and may even cancel a Taunt or 2. Sometimes these suicide squads can be TOO weak as they may die by one or 2 AOE attacks so make sure 1 or 2 heroes have decent hitpoints to absorb special attacks as well.
    If you don't have 3 healers.. grab another and level the heck out of it. Make sure there is a minimum of 2 healers in every GW battle, but 3 would be even better. Having Barriss or Luminara as team leader is great as they heal every hero every turn, plus their extra health or evade helps you last longer.
    Lastly, when you are in a battle and down to the last 2-3 enemies, heal up your squad and stop using specials so they will have cooled off for the next battle. You will need those specials to try and take out the enemies strongest hero in the first round.
    Good luck.

Good post Robobob, and I agree with every point except maxing out your top 5 toons. In my experience the only effect this had was to cause the difficulty to ramp up further, and it was only when I tried to average out my top 8 - 10 characters that I started to gain traction (recent completion rate about 50%ish). This will of course screw with your arena ranking, but I'm rubbish at that anyway :smile:
  • I'm level 43 and I rolled a GW battle of 5 level 54s. Is this that you mean by tough?
  • McShart wrote: »
    Maybe its just me...but GW SHOULD be hard if you aren't max level shouldn't it?

It's just you Mr. President. We're happy for it to be hard. Less happy for it to be ridiculous.

No. My point is its endgame content. If you are level 50 you SHOULD be running into hard teams
This discussion has been closed.