Can You Handle 3 Gear Walls?

First gear wall is purple gear like cuffs, stun guns, and carbantis.

Second wall is AAT gear (this wall is made worse because we get challenge gear as a reward even for HAAT).

Can we handle a 3rd gear wall at G12 without the burden of the first being alleviated? Because I, for one, am not sure I can.

Replies

• zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Tbh my first wall still is Mk3 Sienar holoprojector, most toons still need lots of them and they're still quite a pain to farm. And that's only a low tier component.

Haat components are the worst of all, full components are nowhere to be found, you only get gear per dozen even if you need hundreds of them and you can achieve only 2 Haat per week at best. Quite funnily Haat is the hardest thing to beat around, especially for not so old players.

Gear balance in this game is quite outdated, awfully designed and definitely needs some balance overhaul. I never played a game before where you needed months to gear a toon in such a wide roster. I guess they made it this way to frustrate kids and sell more gems, if i ain't wrong truth is players are more responsible than devs then.
  • Laserbrain
    149 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    I've also been thinking about that. farming stun guns cuffs and now carbantis, then haat gear is already very tiresome. some relief would be nice. (next installment of challenges to include more needed gear)

also theres those moment when you sink 200 energy and get zero drops, when you want to throw your telephone out of the window.
  • Would be good if lower gear can be used to upgrade into higher grade gear...
    Or even gear currency where we can sell all our thousands of unwanted gear to purchase the peices we need... Similar to the shard shop concept...
  • Brainsym wrote: »
    Would be good if lower gear can be used to upgrade into higher grade gear...
    Or even gear currency where we can sell all our thousands of unwanted gear to purchase the peices we need... Similar to the shard shop concept...

A looong time ago we could sell gear. We need to be able to convert our useless gear into something.
  • zombiwan_kenobi
    427 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Brainsym wrote: »

A looong time ago we could sell gear. We need to be able to convert our useless gear into something.

First opus is always the best !
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Brainsym wrote: »

Sell for credits? Great...
  • Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Agree that the 3 gear wall are insane, especially when each of the steps require gear from the previous wall...
  • Anyone remeber the use of Mace Windu gear challenge? i feel stupid simming them everytime :expressionless:
  • I'm not sure AAT is a gear wall, you need more purp gear and need it before AAT gear. Or at the very least it's nothing compared to the number of guns, carbanti and cuffs.

Maybe it'll be worse w G12 because most people don't finish off all of G11.
  • I'm not sure AAT is a gear wall, you need more purp gear and need it before AAT gear. Or at the very least it's nothing compared to the number of guns, carbanti and cuffs.

Maybe it'll be worse w G12 because most people don't finish off all of G11.

The main difference between both gears is that you need hundreds of guns or cuffs when you need as much Haat components, but with more diversity. But you're right, Rancor raid rewards are trickier since they're also required to build many other components.
    The second difference is that you easily find (2x) 30-40 components 3 times a week thanks to Rancor when you barely find a few dozen of gear XI stuff only twice a week thanks to Haat, which is by far way more difficult to achieve.

One rarely needs 200 Sienar mkIV but they often also need Biotech, Medpack, Blastech (etc.) as well. There are two issues in fact, both raids rewards AND toons requirements aren't well designed.

Devs failed at designing rewards for one single reason, most players have to farm story mode to gear their toons to XI, which makes Raids quite worthless when it comes to gearing.
  • That's an absolute no for me. Just the announcement of gear 12 has seriously diminished my interest in logging in everyday. Grinds are fine, 6-8 month grinds for 0.01% progression with a RNG meeting you at every action, are not, imo.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    man, i can only wonder how it is for new players. I've got my fair share of gear 11 characters and still i'm not looking forward to a gear tier increase due to the amount of time it's going to take to get them, or atleast most of them, to g12.
    increased avialability of gear, specially for the g8/9/10 pieces would be a very good move imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    I dont mind a gear wall if they tear down the previous wall. I.E. Sure; G12 is going to be hard, but make G8-10 easier; G11 should remain difficult and make G12 hard.
  • leef wrote: »
    man, i can only wonder how it is for new players. I've got my fair share of gear 11 characters and still i'm not looking forward to a gear tier increase due to the amount of time it's going to take to get them, or atleast most of them, to g12.
    increased avialability of gear, specially for the g8/9/10 pieces would be a very good move imo.

I'm a pretty new player and been only playing for a few months but its tough to even get past into Gear 9. It would be nice to have ways to turn in gear that isn't useful for other gear or credits and then be able to acquire gear from a similar structure to a Shard Shop. I do agree that the Sienar mkIV feels like a wall on it's own as I have many characters who all need them and can't get them fast enough.
  • Bhaalor wrote: »
    I dont mind a gear wall if they tear down the previous wall. I.E. Sure; G12 is going to be hard, but make G8-10 easier; G11 should remain difficult and make G12 hard.

This
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I'm ok with 3.

I wouldn't expect much to change on lower lvl gear, the whole character path is paced and with the way we get gear there is really no way to speed it up for some that wouldn't speed it up at a lower lvl.
  • Nesh
    49 posts Member
    Whats wrong with speeding gear for lower players? Who is going to want to start playing a game that takes over a year to max out your level and yoyr first full team, when every month you need a need team to chase the meta or get the months new toon.

Ita ludicrous to add more and never ease early progression it kills your chance of new customers.

Look at World of Warcraft, arguably the most succsesful MMORPG that makes game progression faster with every new xpac because nobody wants to spend years chasing an ever moving finish line.

Not proposing they don't move the finish line, you just can't keep shift it just as fast as people progress
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I'm ok with 3.

I wouldn't expect much to change on lower lvl gear, the whole character path is paced and with the way we get gear there is really no way to speed it up for some that wouldn't speed it up at a lower lvl.

For older players, the problem is that it isn't really paced at all. When I activate a new character, I can immediately gear them to gear 7, usually immediately to gear 8. Then they have to be left on the backburner as I attempt to gear the 10-15 other characters who already need gearing to gear 9.

The current system is geared towards players in hardcore guilds who do a rancor every 2 days and a HAAT every 3 days, without fail. When you're in a casual guild, doing a rancor every 3 days and not able to finish HAAT yet, the gear component of the game becomes a ridiculous holdup which prevents you from being able to use meta teams until they're no longer meta, usually, as unless you spend a bunch of money it's going to take you weeks, if not months to get up to gear 10 or 11.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    I'm ok with 3.

I don't really have an issue with that. Looking down the barrel of a few years worth of grinding to do higher level content is very intimidating to new players. And that becomes a steeper hill every time something new is added.

If slightly easing the purple gear grind for end game players means that a new player can grind for 12-14 months to get where I am after 20 month of grinding then my feelings wouldn't be hurt. I think that's healthy for a game that is rapidly growing in content.

And to a certain extent this has happened already. People that started when guilds were added had Rancor raids adding gear/credits very early on, while launch players did a lot of grinding without that benefit. I find fleet currency to be a great source of cuffs/guns. And for players that started more recently having that source of gear the moment it becomes playable is a nice boost. If I had fleet currency coming in for the stretch of time I played before it existed then I'd have had easily 300-400,000 fleet currency even with a mediocre rank.

So I highly suspect that the rewards from Territory Battles will ease the bottom gear wall in addition to adding a new one. Newer players will have to do some roster building to benefit fully from it the way long time players will, but it will help them make more rapid progress as they do.
  • leef wrote: »

Variability would help as well. When every character needs the exact same gear, it's broken. Why have the TAC challenge gear at all if it's hardly ever used? Why does every one need MKIII Carbantis? I know the answer, but it's bad design imo.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I'm ok with 3.

Challenges or a new set of hard nodes with raid gear... Both of which require already well-equipped teams and high levels to obtain.

However, I too am opposed to more available gear. I enjoy the grind. Alleviating the gear grind is pretty simple, but I'd rather not :)
  • Want to break multiple walls ? Money, money, money, money.