Update to Territory Battle Timers - 8/25/17 [MEGA THREAD]

Prev134
CG_RyDiggs
536 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited August 2017
Original Post
CG_Carrie wrote: »

We’d like to thank all our players for their feedback regarding our Territory Battle Overview post. We read and take all your feedback seriously, and appreciate everyone taking the time to help improve the game. As you know, we’re always working to make the game as good as we possibly can. As such, we and would like to provide an update to the schedule along with some additional information.
Updated / Initial Schedule: 6AM PDT/1PM UTC / 24 hour timer
Due to the excitement and engagement around the new feature and based on your feedback – we are going to launch the feature with 24 hour phases. They will start at 1PM UTC (for all players) on Wednesdays and end at 1PM UTC on Tuesdays. This will be to give you all time to learn the feature, get to understand its nuances better, and begin to figure out how to work together as a guild. We do plan to return to smaller windows based on feedback and data points, once familiarity is achieved. We will keep you up to date on these changes so you don’t get caught off guard.
We also wanted to share some thinking around the original schedule, along with additional information about the feature.
Playtime per Phase
Some players raised concerns about the amount of time required to complete all Missions in a phase. While every unit provides value via Deployment, not every unit is used in combat. Four squads and one fleet are the maximum required in any one phase. We have done a lot of playtesting and on manual battle, each phase typically takes 10-25 minutes, based on the phase and the player’s available roster.
Original Schedule: 6AM start time / 12 hour timer
Another similar topic raises concerns around the commitment required during work hours. Information that we didn’t previously state is that the event will normally run from Friday – Sunday (technically 6AM on Friday to 6AM on Monday based on the Guild Leader’s time). For players that have a typical Monday-Friday work schedule, Phase 1 will be the only phase during work hours. Furthermore, Phase 1 requires the least amount of time commitment (~10 minutes), vastly minimizing player dependency in that phase.
The choice to pick 6AM/6PM as the start/end of phases was based on looking at when the vast majority of our players play the game, which includes heavy play throughout the 6AM to 6PM window (player local time) and the evening window. We wanted to make sure that it aligned with other timers in the game, such as the Squad Arena prize payout, to minimize the number of necessary check-in points outside of typical game behavior. Making the time later, as requested by some players for work hour concerns, would not work for the vast majority of players.
For international Guilds, we sympathize that your hours will be offset from the intended 6AM to 6PM if your guild leader is in another timezone. Our hope is that the combination of the majority of the event being on the weekend and the 12 hour session being longer than a typical sleep cycle will accommodate your Guilds as well.
Thank you and keep the feedback coming!
Finally, thank you for all your feedback and participation in this community. We are very excited about this feature and look forward to sharing it with all of you, and appreciate what an incredible community this is.
See you on the Holotables!
-Carrie

Development Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Thank you! Thank you so much for listening! <3

Even if we eventually movevto 12 hour phases, letting us start the first time or two with longer phases is great!
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Thank you very much for listening to feedback but also for explaining your thoughts for the original schedule. This makes sense.

Starting with 24 hours and then switch maybe to a shorter time frame is a elegant and good idea!
  • Now if we could get more response likes that a tad bit more frequent this would be great. But appreciate listening
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    "CG doesn't care about the player base" "CG doesn't listen to complaints and suggestions"
  • M-F jobs still exist?
  • NoahScape
    126 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    And for a lot of us who have strong Dark Side teams... a big EDITED RyDiggs: Request for acknowledgment of my strategy.
  • Thank you for listening!
  • Thank you!!
  • Thanks for listening. Please make it a habit.
  • giphy.gif
    "ARE WE BLIND? DEPLOY THE GARRISON."
  • It is nice when feedback is actually implemented. Great stuff
  • Thank you for the initial change! When you're considering changing back, can you first post something about it so we can give you feedback on how the timing works and whether or not shrinking it will likely be manageable?
  • Thanks a lot!

I figured these were the reasons, but I still think 24 hours is better all things considered. Once we get settled in, I think 16 hours should work best--you can start it 6:00am Thursday, end it 6:00am Monday, and everyone gets a little more leeway with each phase without the event taking too long in total.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • So does this mean it starts this coming Wednesday?
  • ljcool110 wrote: »
    So does this mean it starts this coming Wednesday?

I don't think it was meant to imply any particular Wednesday, just that the event will always start on A Wednesday (until they are shortened).
  • Awesome. Let's get 4-5 under our belt and then revisit the timer. Love it. Thanks.
  • Will we have the same number of territory battles per week or month?
  • Thank you for listening to player feedback. Very much appreciated.
  • Great change, but please make it permanent (why not?).
  • I found it funny that the 6am/pm was bases on player activity levels. This is because everyone arena (s) payout are within that window so activity level is going to be higher.
  • Thank you for easing us into this
  • Will we have the same number of territory battles per week or month?

It will start at once a week. Then change to once a week. It was originally explained that TB will be a once a week event.

I am extremely grateful to both of the developers that made this announcement and thread. I am heartened to here the very cogent and eloquently explained alternate course that is being planned to give all of us more time to absorb and internalize the nuances of the first run through(s) of TB.
    The thought process explained behind the original decision and the new change is enlightening and gracious. I thank you for all of this.
    I am over the moon with joy that you have taken the time and consideration of player feedback. Then having altered "the plan" to accommodate all of us in the player base. We that can be most ungrateful and irritating at times to deal with. I am sure that at a minimum I myself fit that description. However only on the best of days. The rest of the time I have no doubt most would even consider that a grouchy Wookie with a toothache is greatly preferable, rather then this particular player.

That said, once again I wish to express my humble gratitude for your actions today.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Great news, and thank you so much for listening to the feedback, and responding to it so promptly. It is very much appreciated.
  • So just to confirm this temporary change will give a start time for everyone at 1pm UTC, regardless of your guild leaders time zone?
  • Jaajaa71 wrote: »
    So just to confirm this temporary change will give a start time for everyone at 1pm UTC, regardless of your guild leaders time zone?
    No, 6:00am your guild founder's time. The UTC time was given so that you could more-easily figure out your time. I think.

Actually it probably wasn't needed at all...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Jaajaa71 wrote: »
    So just to confirm this temporary change will give a start time for everyone at 1pm UTC, regardless of your guild leaders time zone?
    No, 6:00am your guild founder's time. The UTC time was given so that you could more-easily figure out your time. I think.

Actually it probably wasn't needed at all...

It stated "we are going to launch the feature with 24 hour phases. They will start at 1PM UTC (for all players) on Wednesdays and end at 1PM UTC on Tuesdays."

To me that's saying it starts at 1pm UTC for everyone, regardless of what time zone you are in.
  • Excellent. Thank you, development team.
  • Darth_Neal
    22 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Awesome, thanks for listening. I think that is an excellent plan!

While we're on the discussion of listening to feedback from the fan base... please consider at least adding "Mk 5 A/KT Stun Gun Prototype Salvage" and "Mk 3 Czerka Stun Cuffs Salvage" to challenges since many characters need a couple hundred of them each and there's currently no "easy" way of obtaining them.

Another solution would be to let us take a certain amount of lower level gear and upgrade/convert it to the next tier level (i.e. X amount of Mk 1 Stun Cuffs could be converted to Mk 2 Stun Cuffs... then X amount of MK 2 Stun Cuffs could be converted into Mk 3 Stun Cuffs). Everybody has hundreds (if not thousands) of the same lower level gear that has no use.

General Kenobi needs 150 MK 5 Stun Gun Salvage (just to get to gear 9) and 200 MK 3 Sun Cuff Salvage alone!

Edited for initially listing the wrong gear piece...
    Post edited by Darth_Neal on
  • Faroer
    246 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for making this change! If I may offer a humble solution that will save you time tuning or re-tuning the timing of TBs going forward

1) Launch TB's once per week with a 6 day timer.
    2) Allow guilds to mark a phase as complete and reset their toons at will.
    3) Rewards are distributed when the 6 phases are done, OR the 6 day timer expires, whichever comes first.
    4) the next TB starts.

If guilds burn all toons and finish phases fast, they can run through the full 6 phase cycle without waiting. On the other hand, if they need a little extra time to get coordinated, they can hold off reseting longer as needed. This flexibility leaves what to do in the guilds hands and requires no further analysis or resources from CG freeing you to continue your good work.

As a bonus this would be particularly valuable when members are traveling or ill.