Patience Is a Virtue

Prev13
Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited August 2017
At the risk of sounding like a combination of an "I told you so" and a backhanded defense of the development team, the current state of the game is why people really need to relax about releases and their stated timelines and allow the developers time to make sure new releases/updates are good and ready.

First, the release was a day "late". And people had stroke - about banked energy, etc.

But then they rushed it out and it dropped last night....sort of. Packs were available (CHS packs-so you could get him to 5* in time!!) - but TB themselves were still closed.

Then this morning, it hit...but you had game crashes and sever maintenance starting an hour after TB went live. Then, there are the issues/bugs(?)/changes surrounding LS ships, 5* vs. 7* requirements for special missions.

Also, there are currently several major bugs with guild chat, missing CHS shards, and gear crafting that doesn't work.

When they do give dates, see them as "targets" not "deadlines".

This is part of the reason I wish people wouldn't push so hard for timelines. I'd rather have a game that actually works then a release rushed out several days before it was ready. So in the future, please just let the development team do their job - so we can actually play. Instead of spending hours on the forums complaining and waiting for hotfixes and server maintenance. :)
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*
Post edited by Nikoms565 on

Replies

• U know u sound like u are saying I told u so
  • usho1
    363 posts Member
    Liked. Wonder if they ever add reactions too.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    U know u sound like u are saying I told u so

See, I thought it sounded too much like a backhanded defense... :D
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I don't think the people are pushing for "release it now asap ASAPPP!!!"... I think the general feeling is that if you announce content release (or anything for that matter), it should come on time. Of course everyone wants bug-free content, so the general feeling is that if you don't have bug-free content ready, then don't announce it. If you do have content that's ready, then it can be announced, released on time, and bug free (relatively at least, 100% bug-free is of course asking too much as well.) Its a lot to ask for but there's a lot of money going around in this game, so asking for professional handling of the game isn't really too much to ask for. It is after all a professional company that pays people full time; this isn't some offshoot game developed by fanboys on the weekend. I don't mind dev updates on what they're working on (and if phrased: "check out this stuff we're close to finishing, not sure when we'll release"), and if that's all TB was at this point it'd be fine. The point is that they chose to make an announcement and failed to follow through, when they didn't need to make an announcement at all.
  • I just find it funny that they released it on the last day of August
  • I agree totally, but they volunteered the timeline months ago. The product should be released in working order, or delayed until ready. But its a fail if either of the criteria are missed. If someone asks when my product is ready and i give a date, i live up to that, or i make it right, and im not talking 10 chewy shards.
    The whole world works on the premise of over promise and under deliver, which we have seen on almost every release.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • And you people all act like YOUR WORK doesn't screw up, make customers mad, etc, etc.
  • I appreciate your change of heart, OP, and glad that you are back to productive posts.
    Welcome back.
  • And you people all act like YOUR WORK doesn't screw up, make customers mad, etc, etc.

Frequency in this case means something.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I appreciate your change of heart, OP, and glad that you are back to productive posts.
    Welcome back.

What change? lol - Same pain in the backside I've always been.

• JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    I'd rather have as much info as possible even if that info is to say, 'X is hopefully coming this week' one day, and then later we hear, 'X is delayed until we fix a bug.' The people acting like lunatics because the devs gave us an estimate that was off a day are the problem. Most normal, rational people understand that things don't always work perfectly every time, and will be patient.

I hope the devs continue to keep us informed, and ignore the those who will pitch a fit no matter what.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    I'd rather have as much info as possible even if that info is to say, 'X is hopefully coming this week' one day, and then later we hear, 'X is delayed until we fix a bug.' The people acting like lunatics because the devs gave us an estimate that was off a day are the problem. Most normal, rational people understand that things don't always work perfectly every time, and will be patient.

I hope the devs continue to keep us informed, and ignore the those who will pitch a fit no matter what.
    +1000 - which is why I wrote the OP.

I'd rather everyone relax and realize that dates are "targets" not "deadlines" - and treat the developers with that thought in mind.

• Wassup
    128 posts Member
    I get both sides. I generally agree with you. But the issues you identify all seem to find their source in server capacity, a different issue entirely from whether or not there were certain coding bugs in the expansion.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »

Those who pitch a fit are probably the ones who make you the wrong burger at McDonald's, or better yet are the ones who spit on your burger if you are a cop.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a combination of an "I told you so" and a backhanded defense of the development team, the current state of the game is why people really need to relax about releases and their stated timelines and allow the developers time to make sure new releases/updates are good and ready.

First, the release was a day "late". And people had stroke - about banked energy, etc.

But then they rushed it out and it dropped last night....sort of. Packs were available (CHS packs
    -so you could get him to 5* in time!!) - but TB themselves were still closed.

Then this morning, it hit...but you had game crashes and sever maintenance starting an hour after TB went live. Then, there are the issues/bugs(?)/changes surrounding LS ships, 5* vs. 7* requirements for special missions.

Also, there are currently several major bugs with guild chat, missing CHS shards, and gear crafting that doesn't work.

This is part of the reason I wish people wouldn't push so hard for timelines. I'd rather have a game that actually works then a release rushed out several days before it was ready. So in the future, please just let the development team do their job - so we can actually play. Instead of spending hours on the forums complaining and waiting for hotfixes and server maintenance. :)

Didn’t a Dev coin the phrase “taking back August” on the Galactic War Report podcast? Maybe there should be a little more grace shown from them considering their less than stellar track record of bugged content releases and missed content release dates. The community did NOT force EA/CG to rush this thing out in a silly and vain attempt to Take Back August.

While I applaud the Devs for making my favourite mobile game, players should not be blamed for broken content at launch.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Wassup wrote: »
    I get both sides. I generally agree with you. But the issues you identify all seem to find their source in server capacity, a different issue entirely from whether or not there were certain coding bugs in the expansion.

Some of it - sure. But the inability to craft gear when you have all the salvage needed and the 5* vs. 7*/LS ships only questions are either coding issues or possibly (at least in terms of the 5*/7* LS ships only), poor communication.

• JacenRoe wrote: »

That's a bit of overstatement don't you think? Assuming everyone who doesn't share your view is irregular, irrational, and "lunatics" is not only a stretch, its downright insulting. I am most certainly not in a fit, but came to the forums to read up on the changes, found this thread, and felt like providing a yet unrepresented dissenting opinion. I'm not sure where in my language you found me to be any of those character traits you described...

Most people just don't want to hear a date, have it delayed, and then still have buggy content. Sure delays happen, but a professional organization can't afford to delay, postpone, and experience product failures (bugs) with such frequency and with something like TB which is a content release not likely to be rivaled within 2017. If this game wasn't Star Wars related I doubt it would be nearly as successful as it it, and many of you who don't share my viewpoint are likely blinded by what is one of the most loved franchises in the cinema and gaming industries. Just because its Star Wars related doesn't mean that the devs and creators of this game don't have to live up to some standard. They don't have to live up to a standard because people continue to pay for buggy, lacking content that is release behind schedule.

Lets use another example. Say you have a show that you love and enjoy watching. They release a trailer for an upcoming episode and say: "tune in Wednesday at 6 pm". What do you do? You tune in at 6 pm, only to see the episode is delayed. Ok, fine, I'll tune in again on Thursday. Thursday comes and of the 22ish minutes of the episode that aren't commercials, some of it has disjointed conversation, incomplete animations, and 3 minutes of a blank screen. Are you a lunatic for thinking that this episode shouldn't have been announced and released?

I would much rather have content created, screened, tested, and perfected before it is announced, and that is the point I think most of you arguing for patience are missing. I'm not in fits or going crazy over it, but I prefer when something is announced and released that it just be ready. Otherwise just continue to develop the content until it is ready. Sadly with the amount of money spent on the game the bottom line will likely win this argument, and content delays and early announcements only serve to prep anticipation and spending.
  • I don't think today was that horrible. Some glitches here and there but people are chugging away ...

Now I can't say the same for the horrible TB tutorial. That was just bad ... luckily I read the forums first before we started actually doing anything lol

But then they rushed it out and it dropped last night....sort of. Packs were available (CHS packs
    -so you could get him to 5* in time!!) - but TB themselves were still closed.

Didn’t a Dev coin the phrase “taking back August” on the Galactic War Report podcast? Maybe there should be a little more grace shown from them considering their less than stellar track record of bugged content releases and missed content release dates. The community did NOT force EA/CG to rush this thing out in a silly and vain attempt to Take Back August.

While I applaud the Devs for making my favourite mobile game, players should not be blamed for broken content at launch.

Did you forget about heros journey? The all time most requested toon did take back August
  • I don't think today was that horrible. Some glitches here and there but people are chugging away ...

Now I can't say the same for the horrible TB tutorial. That was just bad ... luckily I read the forums first before we started actually doing anything lol

People are completing 6 waves of combat missions and its counting as a total failure...
  • Broulan wrote: »
    I don't think today was that horrible. Some glitches here and there but people are chugging away ...

People are completing 6 waves of combat missions and its counting as a total failure...

Weird, we haven't run into those issues (yet). Didn't hear about it in any of the chats I've been on .. but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist (fingers crossed we don't run into it)

That tutorial ... man ... worst one ever
  • No I didn’t forget about Heroes Journey, but I also remember the epic fail TB’s has been at launch? Did they take back August then proceed to hand it straight back to the people who wanted to keep hold of August, seems like it to me.

On a side not my CLS is beyond brilliant.

You are working under the premise that a job needs to deliver different goods or services to different people. This team has one product. Its not a unique sale every time someone makes a purchase. Once the code is written

Those who pitch a fit are probably the ones who make you the wrong burger at McDonald's, or better yet are the ones who spit on your burger if you are a cop.

If you walk into a fast food restaurant with your police uniform on you should expect that your food gets spit on, and feel lucky that all that happens.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Broulan wrote: »
    I don't think today was that horrible. Some glitches here and there but people are chugging away ...

Weird, we haven't run into those issues (yet). Didn't hear about it in any of the chats I've been on .. but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist (fingers crossed we don't run into it)

That too, could be included in the OP - that should have been changed, as it as practically a "how NOT to do Territory Battles"

• Jamesm
    863 posts Member

That's a bit of overstatement don't you think? Assuming everyone who doesn't share your view is irregular, irrational, and "lunatics" is not only a stretch, its downright insulting. I am most certainly not in a fit, but came to the forums to read up on the changes, found this thread, and felt like providing a yet unrepresented dissenting opinion. I'm not sure where in my language you found me to be any of those character traits you described...

Most people just don't want to hear a date, have it delayed, and then still have buggy content. Sure delays happen, but a professional organization can't afford to delay, postpone, and experience product failures (bugs) with such frequency and with something like TB which is a content release not likely to be rivaled within 2017. If this game wasn't Star Wars related I doubt it would be nearly as successful as it it, and many of you who don't share my viewpoint are likely blinded by what is one of the most loved franchises in the cinema and gaming industries. Just because its Star Wars related doesn't mean that the devs and creators of this game don't have to live up to some standard. They don't have to live up to a standard because people continue to pay for buggy, lacking content that is release behind schedule.

Lets use another example. Say you have a show that you love and enjoy watching. They release a trailer for an upcoming episode and say: "tune in Wednesday at 6 pm". What do you do? You tune in at 6 pm, only to see the episode is delayed. Ok, fine, I'll tune in again on Thursday. Thursday comes and of the 22ish minutes of the episode that aren't commercials, some of it has disjointed conversation, incomplete animations, and 3 minutes of a blank screen. Are you a lunatic for thinking that this episode shouldn't have been announced and released?

I would much rather have content created, screened, tested, and perfected before it is announced, and that is the point I think most of you arguing for patience are missing. I'm not in fits or going crazy over it, but I prefer when something is announced and released that it just be ready. Otherwise just continue to develop the content until it is ready. Sadly with the amount of money spent on the game the bottom line will likely win this argument, and content delays and early announcements only serve to prep anticipation and spending.

Except then ppl are going to complain that nothing new is happening. Theyre in a lose lose. Also its hard to compare vg development to other things especially a tv show.
  • At least we can all agree on how bad the tutorial is... :D

We've had a few run into the issues (myself included) but it hasn't created a stop for us yet. Those guilds close on certain phases/stars for that phase will likely feel upset as they're being shorted out of rewards others are likely to receive. Obviously if rewards are distributed this would make the top guild come out on top and the medium strength guilds trying to catch up set back even further than intended... If a mass reward is distributed this is even more problematic, as those shorted by the bug won't really be compensated.

And I agree nobody was pushing for TB to be released in August. Many were speculating September early and December at the latest (and of course that's just speculation), so late August was nothing but a surprise. But the point here is the devs chose to announce the release, and release particularly sub-par content. The only "active" part of the content where you use the actions and abilities of your characters will sometimes give a player 0 credit when they deserve full credit. I would classify that as a pretty major bug...
  • Broulan wrote: »

EXACTLY

That too, could be included in the OP - that should have been changed, as it as practically a "how NOT to do Territory Battles"

Yeah man it was 100% backwards. They couldn't have messed people up out of the gate any more than that lol. Fortunately it's just phase 1 but still ... total buzzkill
  • I'm just sick of Rebels everything man. They have release bugs and game glitches, it's software and when has that NOT happened? Anybody ever played a console game or computer game that didn't have updates? I'm just so incredibly tired of Rebels Rebels Rebels Rebels Rebels... they are like every other meta and sometimes two in a row. There ARE other factions in the swg galaxy. Perhaps people wouldn't be so eager for CG to rush things if it wasn't because it's standing in the way of content they have waited for, for much LONGER. How many characters have been released and updated yet Grevious sits by like a pile of scrap? Hardest character to get in the game, still scrap.
This discussion has been closed.