Don't you just hate it when people call characters toons?

Prev1
I know it happens all around various number of (rpg) games but it really annoys me. When I read toons it just reminds me of the Looney Tunes or something. And I suppose it is short hand for cartoons which also makes no sense to me. I grew up playing games like Diablo II where people just called them chars or characters which is good. and I think I first saw the term toons used in Diablo III and I really was like wt*! I never played WoW or LoL where it possibly also is used. Do any of you share my opinion that toons is a ridiculous word and should never be used? Also, if someone knows more about its origin please tell it here.

Replies

• Lol. It reminds me to Looney Tunes too!
  • When you see the term toons, its usually from old school players.

When on line gameing first started and MMOs came out. The characters looked like cartoons, so we called them toons. Calling characters toons started way back in Ultima and ever quest days, before WoW or LoL was being thought of.
  • Yeah in some older games you had to chat with a keyboard instead of voice, "toon" was a popular way to say "Charecter". *Any* way words could be shortened people did. Chat Macros were essential in raids etc.

I call them toons, if you look at it we are just playing cartoon Star Wars, and there is really nothing wrong with that.
  • Ultima On Line! Oh the days... I was embarassed by the title since I call them toons too :S
  • Deimos wrote: »
    Ultima On Line! Oh the days... I was embarassed by the title since I call them toons too :S

this
  • I'm an artist/animator... I call them toons and will continue to do so, sorry ya got hate... But that's what they are called in parts of this world.

Gonna go level my toons... Laterz
    "You don't want to sell me death sticks... You want to go home and rethink your life. "
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    Lol, I too prefer to call them chars. But to each their own!
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • I'm sorry "oldschoolers" but I've been addicted to gaming since the Phantasie series on Atari ST, and I would never refer to my characters as "toons"
  • Hangfire wrote: »
    I'm sorry "oldschoolers" but I've been addicted to gaming since the Phantasie series on Atari ST, and I would never refer to my characters as "toons"

Ha! I played that on a. c-64 that was a great SSI game,.. Wow have not thought of them in a long time.
    I wonder how many toons I rolled on that.

Though they were more like ink blots.. :D

• CPMP
    974 posts Member
    USAmazing wrote: »
    I'm an artist/animator... I call them toons and will continue to do so, sorry ya got hate... But that's what they are called in parts of this world.

If the word "toon" is so common how come we still use acronyms such as NPC instead of NPT? :)
  • Yea ive never heard toon till this game
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    CPMP wrote: »
    USAmazing wrote: »
    I'm an artist/animator... I call them toons and will continue to do so, sorry ya got hate... But that's what they are called in parts of this world.

If the word "toon" is so common how come we still use acronyms such as NPC instead of NPT? :)

Ha ha! Take that, tooners! Though of course NPC likely predates RPG video games entirely. D&D was '74 per Wikipedia.
  • They're called Heroes you fools.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • I call them digital dolls.
  • I call em barbie,lol.
  • Lol I call them heroes, toons seems weird to me also!
  • Star Wars : Galaxy of Toons :D
  • I do hate it, but it's a battle I've long since given up on. I just kinda cringe for a second upon reading it, then move on with my life.
  • I'll just call them hero-char-toon from now on.
    My favorite characters Empire - Sith
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    Character :
    300px-SummonedSkull-LCYW-EN-SR-1E.jpg

Toon :
    latest?cb=20081104223903

• CPMP wrote: »
    Character :

Toon :
    latest?cb=20081104223903

Yeah, because when you want to define a term you get out your trading cards. Both illustrations look pretty cartoony to me.

It really does not matter.

Enough of this...I need to go use my energy my toons have accumulated in my Star Wars digital dolls game. :#

• CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Character :

Toon :
    latest?cb=20081104223903

Yeah, because when you want to define a term you get out your trading cards. Both illustrations look pretty cartoony to me.

Enough of this...I need to go use my energy my toons have accumulated in my Star Wars digital dolls game. :#

Good luck with getting Bugs Bunny 7 star :D
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    BentWookie wrote: »
    Character :

Toon :
    latest?cb=20081104223903

Good luck with getting Bugs Bunny 7 star :D
    Hate that one. So OP and needs a nerf. At least he's not as meta-driving as 9* Howard the Duck.
  • IvoB1987 wrote: »
    I know it happens all around various number of (rpg) games but it really annoys me. When I read toons it just reminds me of the Looney Tunes or something. And I suppose it is short hand for cartoons which also makes no sense to me. I grew up playing games like Diablo II where people just called them chars or characters which is good. and I think I first saw the term toons used in Diablo III and I really was like wt*! I never played WoW or LoL where it possibly also is used. Do any of you share my opinion that toons is a ridiculous word and should never be used? Also, if someone knows more about its origin please tell it here.

Ahhh, Diablo II... My second love after Rogue Spear. A great time in gaming maturation, going from 56k to cable. I assume you are roughly my age (guessing 1987 is your birth year). Long gone are the days of hooking up two box TVs and playing four on four Halo 1 with your comrades after school. I too never heard the term 'toon' until now. Then again, I retired from gaming around '06 in college, upon the realization that too many adolescent **** were having relations with my mother. i went the way of the dinosaur after Halo 2. This **** addicting Star Wars game has coerced me out retirement.
  • A character is a person in a movie, play or novel. A cartoon character is the same thing but drawn, digital, by hand, by 3D animation, claymation, special effects. Pretty much ANYthing that is not a real human or in written form. An animated character is essentially a cartoon character that is animated. A video game character is a digitally drawn character. The only thing that differentiates a character from a cartoon character is the fact that it's drawn. It's literally the definition. So while you may not like it, a "toon" is slang for cartoon character which it literally is by the definition of the word
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    pred554 wrote: »
    A character is a person in a movie, play or novel. A cartoon character is the same thing but drawn, digital, by hand, by 3D animation, claymation, special effects. Pretty much ANYthing that is not a real human or in written form. An animated character is essentially a cartoon character that is animated. A video game character is a digitally drawn character. The only thing that differentiates a character from a cartoon character is the fact that it's drawn. It's literally the definition. So while you may not like it, a "toon" is slang for cartoon character which it literally is by the definition of the word

So Paul Walker in Fast and Furious 7 was a cartoon?

EDIT: Cartoony is a term used to describe somewhat the opposite of realistic. When you use fancy colors, unrealistic propotions, humorous design, then the outcome is more "cartoony" than "realistic".

Also Urban Dictionary has a nice interpretation of the word "toon" but if you are easily offended i would advise not search it! o:)
  • CPMP wrote: »
    pred554 wrote: »
    A character is a person in a movie, play or novel. A cartoon character is the same thing but drawn, digital, by hand, by 3D animation, claymation, special effects. Pretty much ANYthing that is not a real human or in written form. An animated character is essentially a cartoon character that is animated. A video game character is a digitally drawn character. The only thing that differentiates a character from a cartoon character is the fact that it's drawn. It's literally the definition. So while you may not like it, a "toon" is slang for cartoon character which it literally is by the definition of the word

So Paul Walker in Fast and Furious 7 was a cartoon?

EDIT: Cartoony is a term used to describe somewhat the opposite of realistic. When you use fancy colors, unrealistic propotions, humorous design, then the outcome is more "cartoony" than "realistic".

Also Urban Dictionary has a nice interpretation of the word "toon" but if you are easily offended i would advise not search it! o:)

the word "town" spoken in a geordie accent sounds like the slang term "toon."

What's wrong with that?....Oh! The other definition. :smiley:

As a former long time DDO player, they were always called "chars" or "characters". When DDO went F2P, the WoW invasion started, and "toon" hit the forums, sparking threads similar to this one. Eventually, it became a part of the jargon. So, I'll admit, I started using it, and do here as well.

Give in to your hate! Come to the Dark Side!
  • clone wars chewbacca is technically a toon
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • This thread got me thinking when I was reading another post. How about DPS or Damage Per Second? This is used extensively throughout the forums, and is clearly wrong, as the game is turned based. DPT/DPA or Damage Per Turn (or Attack) would be more fitting. I think you should start a new thread.

Or you could just accept it is normal jargon for an MMORPG forum, which this is. :smiley::wink:
  • This should be a poll.