Country discrimination?

Shapelesscrabb
159 posts Member
edited September 2017
So the $60 us Hoth pack costs $85 Canadian dollars up here. But 60usd is only worth 75cad right now as we can see in a currency converter. What gives?

I don't know how to post pics but check the links.
https://ibb.co/fLFiu5
https://ibb.co/mX9XnQ
Post edited by LocalHero on

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Thats not up to EA
  • I can't answer your question, unfortunately, but what I can suggest is that it's highly unlikely EA has anything against Canada and even more unlikely that if they did, this would be the way they went about "sticking it to them".
  • I can't answer your question, unfortunately, but what I can suggest is that it's highly unlikely EA has anything against Canada and even more unlikely that if they did, this would be the way they went about "sticking it to them".

I didn't think they did I just wanted people to see haha. It's weird that I would have to pay an extra $10 for a digital item. No online store that I know of inflates prices in that way.

I didn't think they did I just wanted people to see haha. It's weird that I would have to pay an extra $10 for a digital item. No online store that I know of inflates prices in that way.

Fair enough. I suppose the title of "Discrimination" gave the post a bit of an accusatory tone.
  • Think about Europeans

60$ equals 50€ right now. But the pack costs 65€!!

65€ Is 77$. That's tough!
  • Antares wrote: »
    Think about Europeans

Well all the data shipment has of course very high transport cost.
    No, honestly I live in Europe too and don't like the pricing of the App Stores. But it's not EA's decision how Apple and Google charge their customers.
  • Yeah it's weird, I've never gotten a solid answer on this. How does it work? Does EA/CG set a price point in USD for the US market and then Apple/Google adjust it to foreign markets how they see fit? I would imagine that's how it works but it seems strange to not allow a developer to adjust their price point in specific markets.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • The $100 crystal pack costs 36 900 HUF, which is $143 (!!!)
    It also costs £100 which is $129
    I believe it is also 1 000 SEK which is $125
    I live in Hungary, but get my salary in SEK, and feel really unfair to pay $20 more + the exchange fee every time I want to buy anything.
  • RogiWan
    97 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Antares wrote: »
    Think about Europeans

Exactly, and that's why i will not buy it. Better to spend it on Battlefront 2.

• Peer
    299 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    This has to do with exchange rates, transaction cost and clearing between banks as well as Apple/Google charging fees and being responsible for distributing revenue to their App store customers (EA a.s.o.). Ultimately EA certainly earns a bit more from non-US customers but not enough to speak of substantial advantages for US customers. At least I hope so.

I discussed this quite often with people from UK, Sweden, Hungary, some Asian countries ....
  • Peer wrote: »
    This has to do with exchange rates, transaction cost and clearing between banks as well as Apple/Google charging fees and being responsible for distributing revenue to their App store customers (EA a.s.o.). Ultimately EA certainly earns a bit more from non-US customers but not enough to speak of substantial advantages for US customers. At least I hope so.

I discussed this quite often with people from UK, Sweden, Hungary, some Asian countries ....

What I know is that Belgium-US fee is about €9
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    this has been discussed on this forum quite often. Conclusion: life isn't fair. Whether it's due to higher pricess in your country than in other countries, or because the average wage in your country is far below the average wage in other countries.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    this has been discussed on this forum quite often. Conclusion: life isn't fair. Whether it's due to higher pricess in your country than in other countries, or because the average wage in your country is far below the average wage in other countries.

Ehm, Hungary is one of the cheapest European countries. Sweden and UK are the one of the highest avarage wage.
    It is cheaper in Sweden than it is in Hungary. Hungary has lower avarage wage than the Sweden.
    I get my swedish salary in swedish currency. My Play store is swedish. I am swedish. Why cant I pay like a swede?
    (NOTE: On the top of the ~$143 equilivent HUF, I also need to pay an extra exchange fee for SEK->HUF exchange, because Gplay is not a partner store with my bank.)

Common Sense level 0
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

Ehm, Hungary is one of the cheapest European countries. Sweden and UK are the one of the highest avarage wage.
    It is cheaper in Sweden than it is in Hungary. Hungary has lower avarage wage than the Sweden.
    I get my swedish salary in swedish currency. My Play store is swedish. I am swedish. Why cant I pay like a swede?
    (NOTE: On the top of the ~$143 equilivent HUF, I also need to pay an extra exchange fee for SEK->HUF exchange, because Gplay is not a partner store with my bank.)

Common Sense level 0

like i said, life isn't fair (for whatever reason). Seems to me you're better off with a swedish salary living in Hungary than the other way around. Wouldn't it be even more unfair if you could pay like a swede if you compare it to a hungarian player who also lives in Hungary?
  • MURICA!!!

Common Sense level 0

like i said, life isn't fair (for whatever reason). Seems to me you're better off with a swedish salary living in Hungary than the other way around. Wouldn't it be even more unfair if you could pay like a swede if you compare it to a hungarian player who also lives in Hungary?

That way I could save ~$30 every time I spend money to the game.
    I don't care what other people would do, what I care to lower my spending to save more money -> expand my own business to gather a good amount of inheritence for my kids. That's what I care about.

BTW, you made a really good point. Life is not equally fair.
  • I remember asking an admin in another mobile game why prices were higher for other countries. The admin told me they fixed the price to the normal equivalent, but the fees for having purchases from other countries made it much higher. He said it was 10-30% more based on the country.
  • Moving to the store feedback section
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Common Sense level 0

I don't care what other people would do, what I care to lower my spending to save more money -> expand my own business to gather a good amount of inheritence for my kids. That's what I care about.

I care about myself and loves ones more than i care about others aswell. I'm just saying that making it cheaper for the one will enevitably make it relatively more expensive for the other. From a moral point of view you'd expect/want ea/cg to try to make it as fair as possible, wich is nearly impossible. Next to it being nearly impossible, it's also not something they strive for.
    So in the end it's just easier to accept that life isn't fair, nor is the pricing in this game. I'd also like to note that some people don't realize how lucky they are. I'm not saying that's the case with you, but paying $30 more for an ingame item is in some cases way better than living in a country that could buy that same ingame item for $30 less. Obviously there are also players who are either lucky or unlucky with both the country they live in aswell as the ingame pricess.

Common Sense level 0

I care about myself and loves ones more than i care about others aswell. I'm just saying that making it cheaper for the one will enevitably make it relatively more expensive for the other. From a moral point of view you'd expect/want ea/cg to try to make it as fair as possible, wich is nearly impossible. Next to it being nearly impossible, it's also not something they strive for.
    So in the end it's just easier to accept that life isn't fair, nor is the pricing in this game. I'd also like to note that some people don't realize how lucky they are. I'm not saying that's the case with you, but paying $30 more for an ingame item is in some cases way better than living in a country that could buy that same ingame item for $30 less. Obviously there are also players who are either lucky or unlucky with both the country they live in aswell as the ingame pricess.

Another good point.
    Living down here has unarguable advantages.
    We dont have 14:53 in Hungary...
  • Might be all the taxes Canada tacks on. Ours are bad here in America, but theirs are worse
  • I actually managed to change it to SEK.
    However it still shows me the prices in HUF in-game, but it changes to SEK on the popup Google pay screen.
    Now a $100 pack costs me 1050 SEK ($130) which is quite an improvement compared to 36 990 HUF ($141 currently). Plus I dont need to pay the extra exchange fee (~$4-5) per purchase.
    However, I think I wait with spending this time.