Gear crunch: danger for this game

2Next

Replies

• Gear Crunch is real.
    To me, gathering gear has gone form "challenging hard" to "ridiculous hard".
    I choose the Red Pill.
  • Neo2551 wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »
    If you're top 200, you're probably not facing many opponents with G12 anyway...

Says who? There are whales who do not understand mods as well.

And you have difficulty defeating players who don't even understand mods well?
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Neo2551 wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »
    If you're top 200, you're probably not facing many opponents with G12 anyway...

Says who? There are whales who do not understand mods as well.

And you have difficulty defeating players who don't even understand mods well?

It is still a challenge to beat a team with 1 gear level above yours even if you have better mods.
  • I like to idea to divide Gear in different Tiers.
    Gear tier is defined by droprate, farm locations, energy cost
    Once avnew gear is released, all previous gear pieces drop one Tier.

So in bottom tier should be:
    White, green, blue and those cheap purple gear pieces now.
    Top tier is new G11 and exclusive gear 12
  • Magulama
    125 posts Member
    edited September 2017

@ExarTheKun

I disagree wholeheartly, the gear crunch is real and once you realise that the requirement of gearing your roster goes beyond your arena team you will realise that too.

https://swgoh.gg/u/magulama/
  • Gear crunch keeps getting worse and worse. It is a terrible mixture of everytoon needing multiple of the same highly sought pieces.
    Rancor and Haat not dropping those highly sought gears. I ll also go out on a limb and say TB won't either.
    Flash Events were hyped up to ease this bottleneck and then all of a sudden the devs need to rework it?? It's baffling.
    I get it they make money on the gear. It has to be their bread and butter but I also think it's going to be and is the biggest problem in this game. From gear 8 to gear 12 is terrible.

The challenges are a hoax. Cool we get carbs but nowhere near enough to do make a dent. If you're lucky you ll get one full carb in a week.
  • Too many carbantis to keep up and too expensive crystal wise to spend on them since it's not a high level gear.

Throw us a bone! Maybe it's time for a new tier in challenges, including the zeta one! Why do we only get two battles per ship challenges instead of the 3 and not to mention we need more credits! TB got us all to the last 100k credits at any time!!!
  • Pred
    7 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Great post! Need to remember that drop ratio and raid rewards are random some players have better luck then others. Time to gear a toon is completely random and no time table can be given.
  • Pred
    7 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    :)
  • I learned early on to not touch my top 5 and level up the lower levels to avoid the GW gut punch. The game punishes those who focus one bunch of toons over the group. Since I started opening more toons and diversifying my roster GW is completed every night within 30 minutes of reset.

This also raises the issue of why I am bottle necked with 20 toons waiting on stun cuffs and other fun mats to bust gear 9. But I am completing GW and getting my 700k in credits and 140k in ship mats a night with ease.

I don't enjoy that the same toon requires the same raid bacta tank 7 times over 6 slots to level a single gear score point, or 50 of one item 50 of a different item and 50 of a raid item to make a single piece of gear and then find they have 2 slots like that.

I'd really like to learn Exar's method of advancing. It seems logical to follow if he's not spending cash then that is a good strategy.
  • What about if the Devs allowed the opportunity to craft lower gear into better gear? Such as 20 mkIII pieces to craft a mkIV Salvage, then your traditional 50 mkIV salvage into a mkIV, 20 mkIV into a MkV, etc.
  • imo the gear is fine its the droprates
  • Jermunji wrote: »
    What about if the Devs allowed the opportunity to craft lower gear into better gear? Such as 20 mkIII pieces to craft a mkIV Salvage, then your traditional 50 mkIV salvage into a mkIV, 20 mkIV into a MkV, etc.

There we go.
  • Pred
    7 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    The drop rate is the root of the problem
  • I bought crystals in the past mainly to help me level faster, but now that I'm 85 I'm done spending, and its mostly because of the gear crunch. Its pointless to buy character shards when I can't gear them, and gear is ridiculously expensive. Take that new 60 dollar Hoth Brothers pack for example...when I first saw it I thought cool...maybe I'll buy that. Then I thought about it more...I'll maybe get +1 gear level on 2 toons with that gear, and they'd only be going to G11. I've got dozens of toons to level and gear...is +1 levels on 2 toons really worth 60 bucks, especially when they aren't even moving to the top gear level?

If they want to make a gear bottleneck to make money...that is cool...but make it G12. Previous bottlenecks should be loosened. If I had a bunch of toons waiting for G12 gear I'd be willing to spend a bit on G12 if its going to make me top notch, or if I had a ton of stuff saved up to get toons to G11 at least, I'd be willing to buy more character packs since I wouldn't just be adding to my pile of characters waiting for the same few pieces of gear to get to a level where they are useful for anything, but as it stands now if I'm not going to spend thousands I might as well just spend nothing.
  • but as it stands now if I'm not going to spend thousands I might as well just spend nothing.

Exactly where I'm at.

darth-vader-thumbs-up.jpg
  • I'd really like to learn Exar's method of advancing. It seems logical to follow if he's not spending cash then that is a good strategy.
    The reason he doesn't have to spend cash on the game is because he comes first in arena, which means 500 crystals a day. That's why he can get a whole piece of gear in 2 days, much less a whole gear level in a week. The only problem with this is that for most players, if they aren't already top 5 every day then this is almost impossible.
  • @Neo2551 you should join a stronger guild.
    I'd really like to learn Exar's method of advancing. It seems logical to follow if he's not spending cash then that is a good strategy.
    The reason he doesn't have to spend cash on the game is because he comes first in arena, which means 500 crystals a day. That's why he can get a whole piece of gear in 2 days, much less a whole gear level in a week. The only problem with this is that for most players, if they aren't already top 5 every day then this is almost impossible.

Agreed. You have to maintain a decent crystal income from arena if you don't want to spend to advance quickly. That being said, there are spenders on my shard who also get first at payout, in addition to buying crystals for gear with cash. There are some pretty big rosters that I'm competing with to stay on top.

If anyone is having trouble keeping up, I suggest going for anti-meta squads and farming mods often. I was running Resistance for the longest time and am considering going back. Mods make a squad more than anything.

Squads that do well in almost any meta (with great mods) are Rex leads, zFinn Resistance, GK/zBarris, and Thrawn troopers.

One thing to remember in this game is that the best way to do well in Arena, is to do well everywhere else. You need raids for gear and toons. You need fleet for zetas, gear and toons. You need GW for toons. You need mods for everything. You need arena for crystals. If you are missing out on any of these things, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. It's time to pick up the slack in whatever section you have neglected. That's the fastest way to the top and an easier gear grind.
  • For my arena team right now, not including gear levels after the ones my characters are right now (gear 11 x2, gear 10x2, gear 9) I need 350 carbanti salvage, 200 stun gun salvage, and about 100 of most of the needed haat gear that never drops. If I focused on only one character until they were maxed it would take weeks, but it would leave the rest of them behind. By the time all of them are maxed out they'll be useless anyways. This is only for arena mind you, I'm not even including the teams I need for haat or territory battles.

This is the problem with the game. Too many characters need the same thing at EVERY level. I'm at the point now where the only challenge I need is the one that gives out carbantis, and even then I only get 1 full one per week. Considering I need 7 of them at the gear levels my arena team is rn and not considering the later levels, this will take several months to max out. The other gear that challenges give out I have 100s of, thanks to raids giving me those as rewards all the time. I wouldn't mind it as much if characters ACTUALLY NEEDED IT. But instead they just ask for the same 3 things: carbantis, stun guns, and stun cuffs. And then more carbantis.

I don't place super high in arena (50s), but still higher than most players. That's only like 100-150 crystals a day, and refreshes take most of those. So after gw is almost completed (can't beat last node anymore because it's all gear 12, and I have none) and dailies are finished that about 50-100 crystals left over at the end of the day. By these numbers if I wanted to buy a full carbanti from shipments (1400 crystals), it would take me 2-3 weeks. Considering that 1st place gets 500 crystals EVERY DAY, and top 50 only get 150, and that there are MANY MANY people in every arena, you should be rewarded better for being this high in rank.

I could see 2 possible solutions for the gear crunch: make them more available from challenges by making a new tier/giving out more gear we actually need, or possibly bumping up the amount of crystals rewarded in arena.
    Thanks for reading such a long post!

TLDR: challenges basically useless, gear crunch for the same gear for every character gets old, arena crystal rewards should be boosted.
  • Gear crunch keeps getting worse and worse. It is a terrible mixture of everytoon needing multiple of the same highly sought pieces.
    Rancor and Haat not dropping those highly sought gears. I ll also go out on a limb and say TB won't either.
    Flash Events were hyped up to ease this bottleneck and then all of a sudden the devs need to rework it?? It's baffling.
    I get it they make money on the gear. It has to be their bread and butter but I also think it's going to be and is the biggest problem in this game. From gear 8 to gear 12 is terrible.

The challenges are a hoax. Cool we get carbs but nowhere near enough to do make a dent. If you're lucky you ll get one full carb in a week.

Agreed!!!!!!!!
    BlasterBabe aka Purple Dana aka The Countess aka DD
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    @Neo2551 you should join a stronger guild.

Agreed. You have to maintain a decent crystal income from arena if you don't want to spend to advance quickly. That being said, there are spenders on my shard who also get first at payout, in addition to buying crystals for gear with cash. There are some pretty big rosters that I'm competing with to stay on top.

If anyone is having trouble keeping up, I suggest going for anti-meta squads and farming mods often. I was running Resistance for the longest time and am considering going back. Mods make a squad more than anything.

Squads that do well in almost any meta (with great mods) are Rex leads, zFinn Resistance, GK/zBarris, and Thrawn troopers.

One thing to remember in this game is that the best way to do well in Arena, is to do well everywhere else. You need raids for gear and toons. You need fleet for zetas, gear and toons. You need GW for toons. You need mods for everything. You need arena for crystals. If you are missing out on any of these things, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. It's time to pick up the slack in whatever section you have neglected. That's the fastest way to the top and an easier gear grind.

I couldn't agree more. But if you are missing out on one section, you have to devote time and resources to it, which takes away from whatever aspect of the game you are focusing on. For me personally, arena is end game. It's really one of the only reasons I still play this game (my awesome guild's community is the other).

It was my main focus when I started playing which put me in top 200-300 by the time I was level 30-40, thus bringing me way ahead of most people my level. But I've always been the guy to go against the flow, so I worked on characters that weren't the meta and as a result I didn't do as well in arena as everyone else because I wanted to be different. I still do this, trying to run an Empire squad in arena. For the gear levels that they are I'd say I'm doing fairly well and I'm fine that. It's just the fact that it's so hard to get from one gear level to the next that is so upsetting.
  • @ExarTheKun I am in a 90M GP guild and have he potential for 38 stars in the next 2/3 weeks. I guess my guild is good. More importantly, we have a dram free guild xD
  • TLDR: challenges basically useless, gear crunch for the same gear for every character gets old, arena crystal rewards should be boosted.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. I want to especially emphasize the sharp drop in rewards for placing in the top 100 in arena. If you're in the top 100 you are potentially in the top 1% of your shard (10k ish per shard, possibly more, I'm not willing to make a lone CUP my arena squad to find out). For this you get a whopping 100 crystals a day! To put this in perspective, if you do essentially nothing and place 5k-10k in arena you get 1/4 that- 25 crystals. Why should someone who puts in no effort get 1/4 the rewards of someone who puts in 20 times the effort? Conversely, why should someone in the top 1% of their peers be rewarded with relative peanuts?
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • TLDR: challenges basically useless, gear crunch for the same gear for every character gets old, arena crystal rewards should be boosted.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. I want to especially emphasize the sharp drop in rewards for placing in the top 100 in arena. If you're in the top 100 you are potentially in the top 1% of your shard (10k ish per shard, possibly more, I'm not willing to make a lone CUP my arena squad to find out). For this you get a whopping 100 crystals a day! To put this in perspective, if you do essentially nothing and place 5k-10k in arena you get 1/4 that- 25 crystals. Why should someone who puts in no effort get 1/4 the rewards of someone who puts in 20 times the effort? Conversely, why should someone in the top 1% of their peers be rewarded with relative peanuts?

20,000 in each Arena Leaderboard. 2,000 in each Fleet Leaderboard.
  • trash rewards will ruin this game
  • Can never depend on rancor or aat to ease the crunch and now can't depend on flash events.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Can never depend on rancor or aat to ease the crunch and now can't depend on flash events.

@Vinny_Vader_Vedi

I believe it was top_hat, who said that the current runs of the flash events were for testing that they would use that to produce the final design for what it would be. I know that doesn't help us right now, but give them time to figure out what the flash event should be, and I'm sure it will help.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Can never depend on rancor or aat to ease the crunch and now can't depend on flash events.

@Vinny_Vader_Vedi

I believe it was top_hat, who said that the current runs of the flash events were for testing that they would use that to produce the final design for what it would be. I know that doesn't help us right now, but give them time to figure out what the flash event should be, and I'm sure it will help.

Ty Kyno. Idk I thought it was Cap. I could be confusing it with the ATST event though.