How OP is CLS?

Prev13
Imo he needs a nerf. Before him there was diversity to arena which was fun. Now it's just put a bunch of rebels with CLS and you've made top 20.
Also why can he crit for 32k? Are you actually mad?! What the hell is ROTJ Luke supposed to hit for?

Interested to hear thoughts.

Replies

• He's ok by me. I was running droids before him and could barely crack the top 100 in arena. Switched to rebels with cls lead and I'm sitting at 22nd place. I'm happy with my investment.
  • Can't help but laugh at diversity in the arena. Most of the teams all use pretty much the same the same toons. I was running clones before using cls and pretty much every team that I'd be up against would be some sort nihilus team or a wiggs team.
  • The thing is even with a nerf he can be meta. It's just he's wayyy to OP atm. His leadership and dmg output is beyond a joke
  • I don't have him, and I don't really have a problem with him or teams that run him. I briefly made it to 1st on my arena shard today even. Wedge can crit over 30k, so can Chirrut and Kylo, and Vader/Boba too.

He's a tough cookie, but I just look at him as a challenge to overcome.
  • I think the issue is that CLS along with gXII bring tremendous imbalance for arena the way it is currently devised which leads to the idea he's too OP.

Since arena is dependent upon age of shard, CLS rules the day easily in younger shards but in an older shard especially nov/dec 2015 he's on almost every team in the top 100 which means he's less valuable there and more of a requirement.

Where he really shines is in raids and GW, I believe in 6 months when he's come around again he will still be a top toon but no longer OP because other toons will get boosts from gXII to even out
  • Wookie_Hair
    10 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    He is OP. By himself he is one of the most powerful and versatile toons in the game, no question. Well modded and geared he can beat 2-3 other toons in arena, meaning you never count him out.

What makes him the OP meta is the relatively recent flood of rebel and light side love. Wiggs, Chaze, R2, GK, Fulcrum Ashoka, and even classic rebels such as raid Han, Leia, and Old Ben getting some love and/or synergy have really pushed cls (and rebels I general) over the edge. On average, light side characters are much faster than dark side ones, have greater tenacity, better unique abilities, and virtually limitless synergy combinations due to the wide variety of competitive light side toons.

Its why there are almost no dark side teams in the arena now. When the average light side toon can be faster than a dark side toon under a Maul lead, there isn't much chance for dark side to compete. Plus, there is almost no synergy among dark side toons without going faction-specific, and there just isn't enough variety, farmability, or value in doing so.

We need some serious dark side love. For example, give emperor palpatine a unique that says his attacks don't trigger unique abilities from rebels. Give dearth Vader a huge damage and defense boost, and a new ability "force choke" (because, Vader, duh), which removes all protection from the target and gives stagger for two turns. If the target is a rebel, give permanent buff immunity (cannot be dispelled). Make his leader ability include "rebel enemies cannot gain additional turn meter as long as Vader is alive". These changes would slow down the ridiculous rebel assaults, and allow f2p players more flexibility in arena.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    This different than Rex +4 or zeta Maul before R2. Cls is a waste as a lead IMO. I hope peeps keep using him makes for easy battles.
  • Well its luke...hes suppose to be op. Im glad he is as is. Certain chars get the pass on op. Now chaze...who are they....to much op for unknowns. When jedi luke comes i expect even more op...and thats expected. And i agree, ds is in shambles. I hope when GG gets reworked he is godly op....DS deserve it
  • Kim Jong-un is afraid of CLS
  • MasterMasterTimelord
    1140 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Boba+Chewie+Veteran Han seems as a good solution
  • scuba wrote: »
    This different than Rex +4 or zeta Maul before R2. Cls is a waste as a lead IMO. I hope peeps keep using him makes for easy battles.

He's strong for sure, but no hero is that OP right now; no team is unbeatable.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Maztoras wrote: »
    Well its luke...hes suppose to be op. Im glad he is as is. Certain chars get the pass on op. Now chaze...who are they....to much op for unknowns. When jedi luke comes i expect even more op...and thats expected. And i agree, ds is in shambles. I hope when GG gets reworked he is godly op....DS deserve it

Okay...so why isn't Vader OP? Nah, it's just lazy game design. CLS is an abomination. Bespin Luke the most powerful in the game is joke and fans of SW should find it ridiculous. It's Bespin Luke, not Jedi Luke or Grand Master Luke. No, it's the whiny kid who was toyed around with by Vader before getting his hand chopped off. Nicely done CG....
  • Maztoras wrote: »
    Well its luke...hes suppose to be op. Im glad he is as is. Certain chars get the pass on op. Now chaze...who are they....to much op for unknowns. When jedi luke comes i expect even more op...and thats expected. And i agree, ds is in shambles. I hope when GG gets reworked he is godly op....DS deserve it

Okay...so why isn't Vader OP? Nah, it's just lazy game design. CLS is an abomination. Bespin Luke the most powerful in the game is joke and fans of SW should find it ridiculous. It's Bespin Luke, not Jedi Luke or Grand Master Luke. No, it's the whiny kid who was toyed around with by Vader before getting his hand chopped off. Nicely done CG....

This.
  • Chaze, DN, R2 and CLS = Ridiculous. Sick of this overpowered team. A blind man with a stick, a fat guy with a machine gun is better than most empire/sith toons. Sick of the Rebel garbage.
  • He is a lot of fun to run. Glad I got him and have made him a priority to mod and gear. He was a toon a lot of people waited for, him being OP is fine by me.
  • He's the most OP toon in the game, they even said that when the released him. They're not going to nerf him.
  • Lord_Massacus
    183 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Here's the thing: if we keep nerfing all the OP characters then there's going to be nothing good left to use. Alternatively, we could simply stop nerfing the stuff to oppose CLS, and also if you were lucky enough to get CLS, you probably deserved him, he's one tough sucker to get. Honestly I don't get why everyone is complaining about him being Op, and the same goes for the rebel faction. They are giving you good toons to use!! Sure the DS in its entirety needs more toons, I agree with that, but they aren't asking anyone to use DS toons right now anyway, territory battles is only requiring light side, and rebels for the most part, giving you an opportunity to gain from your hard work on the rebel faction! Sure, while a few new DS toons would be great, I think that if you're strong enough to get CLS then you deserve all the rewards and benefits of receiving him, and the complaints about him and the rebels being too OP is honestly just ridiculous. Asking for more DS is one thing but asking them to quit giving away really good toons as a solution to other OP toons is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Rather than nerf the toons that they've given us they released toons to counter those already released. I don't get why everyone is complaining about CLS because every time EA makes a move to improve the game, they get more hate on what they did to fix the last complaint. Rather than ask them to nerf, suggest something new that can counter CLS.
    Ally code: 357613281
    swgoh.gg: https://swgoh.gg/u/lordterminus/
  • I'm glad he's a tough toon, however it's making the game boring. My shard has 19/25 with CLS lead. The rest. 1 Thrawn, 1 Qui Gon, 2 Rex, and 2 Wedge. Seems pretty obvious given the short time CLS has been available. I didn't get him and I dropped 100 spots within a week of his release, from rank 30 to fighting to stay 130. I see a lot of familiar names from the top 50 right with me so I know I'm not alone. basically CLS changed the game. Borrowing him breezed me through the lv 9 hard light side battles that I had a tough time with before. Sure he's fun to use, But it's forcing anyone who wants to compete to run CLS, GK, R2, and Chaze. Basically an unbeatable team right there. Nihilus is gone, Thrawn is disappearing quickly and almost gone. Really not much point in even trying for anything else right now.
  • He is not that overpowered. High critical damage and daze can stop him. He does not have the greatest amount of Health or Defense either.
  • Look on the bright side... smuggler chewy can OHKO him.
  • Its why there are almost no dark side teams in the arena now. When the average light side toon can be faster than a dark side toon under a Maul lead, there isn't much chance for dark side to compete.

No lightside toon can beat a Sith assassin under Maul lead.
    Tarkin & Veers are viable leaders and bring a lot of speed.
    Dooku, Sidious, Zam and TFP are among the fastest toons around, TFP being the fastest.

Never encountered a FO team either i guess, cause i wouldn't say they're the slowest around.

Seriously.
  • 3slink wrote: »
    Imo he needs a nerf. Before him there was diversity to arena which was fun. Now it's just put a bunch of rebels with CLS and you've made top 20.
    Also why can he crit for 32k? Are you actually mad?! What the hell is ROTJ Luke supposed to hit for?

I kick myself every day for not getting him, since he indeed is insanely good. Don't expect a nerf, as that would cause an uproar, and I'm sure he was intended to be as good as they made him.

Anyway, the best option for anyone who doesn't have him is to start working on arena teams that are anti-crit, with abilities like stun/daze/stealth and attacks like annihilate and fracture. The two best options are probably:

General Kenobi (L), zBarriss, zR2D2, Nihilus, Thrawn
    Rex (L), General Kenobi, zR2D2, Nihilus, Thrawn
  • plindboe wrote: »
    3slink wrote: »

I kick myself every day for not getting him, since he indeed is insanely good. Don't expect a nerf, as that would cause an uproar, and I'm sure he was intended to be as good as they made him.

Anyway, the best option for anyone who doesn't have him is to start working on arena teams that are anti-crit, with abilities like stun/daze/stealth and attacks like annihilate and fracture. The two best options are probably:

General Kenobi (L), zBarriss, zR2D2, Nihilus, Thrawn
    Rex (L), General Kenobi, zR2D2, Nihilus, Thrawn

CLS can one shot Rex before Kenobi taunts.
    Its why there are almost no dark side teams in the arena now. When the average light side toon can be faster than a dark side toon under a Maul lead, there isn't much chance for dark side to compete.

No lightside toon can beat a Sith assassin under Maul lead.
    Dooku, Sidious, Zam and TFP are among the fastest toons around, TFP being the fastest.

Never encountered a FO team either i guess, cause i wouldn't say they're the slowest around.

Seriously.

Are you running those toons in arena yourself? Seriously. They're maybe faster but except Veers, Tarkin (also not as lead) and Thrawn, DS is out of the game. Top 50 is plenty of this CLS teams with the same toons. CLS, GK, R2, Han + 1. Boring ...
  • Mr_Green
    93 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    Are you guys seriously discussing this, if Chirrut can crit for 50k, Wedge 30k, and they are just about decent characters

What the duck is wrong in making CLS powerful, him being legendary.

He deserves it... Period.
  • No lightside toon can beat a Sith assassin under Maul lead.

Seriously.

You are correct, assassin under maul is crazy fast on turn 1, but I stand by my assessment. Outside of the 20% tm boost turn 1 though, speed is at best on par with the likes of r2, Leia, etc.

Tarkin and veers are not viable in the top 100 of my arena as leads, and dooku is only useful under a dn lead. I haven't seen a sidious in forever, and zam has never been a presence.

You can make a ds team as fast as any team, same as a Jedi team under qgj, but it just isn't viable. Rebel counterattacks and 30k crits just can't be matched. Nobody on the dark side hits that hard consistently, and those that do are glass.
  • Gyutacs
    10 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    CLS made arena boring...16/20 in top 20 CLS lead, soooo much fun fighting the daily 5 arena matches, when you can choose from CLS lead, or CLS lead, or CLS lead to fight. :)
    Post edited by Gyutacs on
  • I have beat CLS teams with my Zaul sith team. If you're still so worried about CLS, then the best way to beat him is like you would beat any other toon: Get and build your own instead of asking Big Brother to take away what others have worked for.
  • GA_Phoenix
    368 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    It is borry fighting CLS all the day (28/30 in my Leaderboard have him in their squad, Dez. 2015) and that is the reason i will stay by my Dark-Side-Team. DK and zDT under Thrawn lead are the perfect tool to handle this rebel scum. :wink:

As long as i can get Top 5/10 every day i will not use CLS although i have him almost Gear 12.

Like GK, he is not needet to stay at high rank in the arena but he makes it a lot easyer. Its like Light Side Toons are beeing corruptet by the dark side.

Luke: "Is the dark side stronger?" Yoda: "No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive." :lol:
  • I have him g11 and BAT zeta.

Yes he is strong but once he gets stunned he's there for the taking
  • He single-handedly destroyed all those in top 50 that do not have him. Top 50 are now all mostly CLS leads or those parties that have CLS. Those without CLS are pushed to 50-100 and some are struggling to keep below 100.