Galactic War is so broken, Will it ever be balanced ?

Prev1
Good evening everybody, here are some of my observations throughout my SWGOH lifespan. I remember when I first started playing that GW was quite a breezer and it used to be one of my favorite modes because it was an easy way to farm characters for a beginner. (Luminara, Phasma, etc.) As time went by and new updates came up (as well as me progressing thru the game) GW became harder and harder, which kind of makes sense because that's how it should be. While I agree that GW should have some sort of difficulty, I also expect it to be fair, to be more specific it should not be impossible. I have done some research and I can't come up with a logical explanation except that the devs want us to fail at GW. Ever since CLS released and G12 it has been a cancerous experience to play GW, it is like it took all the joy from the beginning of the game's launch and **** it all out. Before it used to be somewhat normal difficulty until node 9, and only then it would start to be difficult, but NOW it starts throwing zeta squads since node 3 (sometimes even 1). This is so broken and I hope it gets fixed. I am a 50ish rank shard in arena, have 5 zetas total, and one G12 character, therefore I don't see the point of me fighting squads in GW that are full fledge G12 and 4-7zetas. I don't know if this post will ever get anywhere but I do hope that the devs see this and consider balancing it in the near future because it has gotten to the point where I don't even want to play GW unless I need it for guild activity, it has become so much of a headache that It is simply not worth the 1400 GW currency/15 character shards that can be bought.

Replies

• 1) Arena rank has nothing to do with your GW scaling. You could be dead last on your leaderboard at 20,000 and it will still scale to your Stat Power.
    2) GW is still based on old power rating which is now listed as Stat Power and can be found on your swgoh.gg profile when you go to each individual character page.
    QQKKK41.png
    3) Zetas do not contribute much if any to the old Stat Power and hence you could be meeting full G12 7 zeta teams.
    4) Last node scales to about 15% above your Highest Stat Power, so sounds like you're just right in the range for full G12 last nodes.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    1) Arena rank has nothing to do with your GW scaling. You could be dead last on your leaderboard at 20,000 and it will still scale to your Stat Power.
    2) GW is still based on old power rating which is now listed as Stat Power and can be found on your swgoh.gg profile when you go to each individual character page.
    QQKKK41.png
    3) Zetas do not contribute much if any to the old Stat Power and hence you could be meeting full G12 7 zeta teams.
    4) Last node scales to about 15% above your Highest Stat Power, so sounds like you're just right in the range for full G12 last nodes.

No offence dude but you're just stating facts. You're not really helping the case because idc about those numbers. You know something is broken when people like Warrior from Team Instinct said himself that he is having a hard time finishing it and he has a 3M Galactic Power. If it was based on the old power system you would not have G12s in node 9 with 4-5 zetas and all that ****. I'm literally giving up on this mode....
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Dante wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »
    1) Arena rank has nothing to do with your GW scaling. You could be dead last on your leaderboard at 20,000 and it will still scale to your Stat Power.
    QQKKK41.png

No offence dude but you're just stating facts. You're not really helping the case because idc about those numbers. You know something is broken when people like Warrior from Team Instinct said himself that he is having a hard time finishing it and he has a 3M Galactic Power. If it was based on the old power system you would not have G12s in node 9 with 4-5 zetas and all that ****. I'm literally giving up on this mode....

It is based on the old power system. G12 is not as heavily weighted under that system as it probably should be, and zetas aren't weighted under that system at all, which is exactly *why* you see those teams in node 9.

Your complaints aren't aided in any way by misunderstanding the facts.
  • Liath wrote: »
    QQKKK41.png

It is based on the old power system. G12 is not as heavily weighted under that system as it probably should be, and zetas aren't weighted under that system at all, which is exactly *why* you see those teams in node 9.

Yeah, not gonna get into a debate over that. The main concern was that it was broken and needs to be fixed.....but it's literally like talking with a brick wall.....
  • Dante wrote: »
    QQKKK41.png

Yeah, get those facts out of here. Who does he think he is, coming in here and waving his facts around? Everybody knows a good quality rant does not need to be based on facts or numbers.
    but it's literally like talking with a brick wall.....

That's what it feels like when you try to argue against facts...

QQKKK41.png

Yeah, get those facts out of here. Who does he think he is, coming in here and waving his facts around? Everybody knows a good quality rant does not need to be based on facts or numbers.

The facts presented literally show it's broken. If you have a system that doesn't account for zetas, that system is in fact broken. You literally can't reasonably argue otherwise.
  • cannon_fodder
    269 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    It's so broken - here's the profile of the team I had at node 12 today.

https://swgoh.gg/u/jamiet/

This player has been playing since at least May of 2016 - top of his shard. This squad is first in arena, has 4 zetas among them, three legendary characters and two raid characters. This squad has a 17% higher Galactic Power and a 29% higher stat power than my arena squad (which is not the same as my top five, but close enough).

I think there's more than one issue with GW, but one of the glaring ones to me is the inability to account for mods, particularly speed. Arena teams are modded for speed. This particular one has the following speed mods, +71, +82, +85, +98, +112. The +71 is Raid Han because he's modded for offense at an astounding +450. GK and Thrawn have >+70% protection.

My arena team is also modded for speed - I finish top 20 when I have time around payout - all of my best speed secondaries are on my arena team. My bench has whatever leftovers there are. Needless to say, it's not great. Speed mods are hard to come by, I've only been playing since January and have spent a TON of cantina energy chasing character shards for legendary events (GMY, EP, R2, CLS, now Thrawn) instead of doing months worth of mod farming. It is what it is.

The end result is that my secondary teams are essentially too slow to do ANYTHING remotely useful against node 12 teams outside of draw specials and give the node 12 more TM for when I have nothing left but my arena team, which has already had its protection blown away because of what we're seeing on nodes 9 and 11 now.

I attempt less than half of the node 12s I see as it's just become increasingly frustrating. I will get an occasional node 12 that's beatable. Sometimes with just one team. It's happened three times since the introduction of Territory Battles and Gear 12. It's unfortunate as it comes at a time when GW tokens are more valuable than ever in order to add depth for platoons or convert to shard shop currency for cuffs / stun guns / etc.

This is easily the worst part of an otherwise great game.

Edit: updated to node 11 as reason for blown away protection on primary team.
  • It is not broken. GW was never intended to be completed every day. It may get easier when they start using the new power system, and it may get harder. You may whine even more after it's "fixed."

No matter what they do, the best thing for you to do is get a GW All Star team. Clones with a zeta Cody or Resistance with a zeta Finn is as good as it gets.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    It is not broken. GW was never intended to be completed every day. It may get easier when they start using the new power system, and it may get harder. You may whine even more after it's "fixed."

No matter what they do, the best thing for you to do is get a GW All Star team. Clones with a zeta Cody or Resistance with a zeta Finn is as good as it gets.

@StarSon Please post the stats on your node 12, if you still face one, or your node 11 if you don't. I would venture a guess they're not that much different than the squads I face on Node 12. The fact that you have 4 G12 characters and the same squad I referenced above, and seven other G11 maxed squads you can throw at GW, and I have four G11 characters, and are probably seeing equivalent squads (can't get a whole lot more maxed), is indicative of things being broken. You have twice as much galactic power as I do. If GW was truly a test of one's roster, then you should be seeing squads that are twice as powerful, by either GP or Stat Strength, than what I do. Let's put that theory to the test, shall we?

Not completed every day is one thing. Completed once every two weeks or so? I doubt that's the intent.
    It is not broken. GW was never intended to be completed every day. It may get easier when they start using the new power system, and it may get harder. You may whine even more after it's "fixed."

@StarSon Please post the stats on your node 12, if you still face one, or your node 11 if you don't. I would venture a guess they're not that much different than the squads I face on Node 12. The fact that you have 4 G12 characters and the same squad I referenced above, and seven other G11 maxed squads you can throw at GW, and I have four G11 characters, and are probably seeing equivalent squads (can't get a whole lot more maxed), is indicative of things being broken. You have twice as much galactic power as I do. If GW was truly a test of one's roster, then you should be seeing squads that are twice as powerful, by either GP or Stat Strength, than what I do. Let's put that theory to the test, shall we?

Not completed every day is one thing. Completed once every two weeks or so? I doubt that's the intent.

My node 12 is easy (has been for a while), and my node 11 ranges from a weird tank team to full g12 CL-led 7 zeta team. Yes, I can throw a different team at each node and win if I wanted to (by virtue of having played since a little after launch), but I don't have to. zFinn Resistance breezes through all teams.

But, to your real point, I am almost positive it *is* the intent that it is completed rarely. It took me several months until I could complete it reliably, and since then I've had to change things up several times. I understand very well that it is basically impossible for newer players and smaller rosters, but it has always been that way.
  • @StarSon Thanks for the response. I went through a period some time in the 70s where I had trouble because I didn't have a good counter to Dooku (Daze wasn't a readily available thing at the time, then K2 hit the GW store).

Outside of that period of time, I've had very long stretches of being able to complete GW, I'd guess 6 or 7 of the nine months I've been playing the game. This feels different, in that I don't feel like I have a chance at completing GW. Not that I'm a few characters away, but a few teams away.

Regardless, it's going to stay this way for awhile as Resistance is on the back burner until Phoenix is done. And more gear for rebels for TB...etc. etc.

StarSon wrote: »

LoL....a zeta Cody team does nothing against CLS team. They can beat the first few tiers then done. Having to face 4 or so CLS loaded teams is impossible unless you've spent 10k on the game.
  • Nol_el_en wrote: »

LoL....a zeta Cody team does nothing against CLS team. They can beat the first few tiers then done. Having to face 4 or so CLS loaded teams is impossible unless you've spent 10k on the game.

I guess that is what makes it a true challenge.
    QQKKK41.png

Liath wrote: »
    QQKKK41.png

So if my facts are wrong, and they don't base GW off arena. Why am I fighting this dude from Team Instinct? :))) Just throwing it out there. We're both right in our own way. The whole point of this post was to state a concern, I did not ask about the semantics of it because we all know how GW works, it was just that it's broken atm that's all.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    but it's literally like talking with a brick wall.....

That's what it feels like when you try to argue against facts...

Sure.... so not Arena based =))))
  • It's so broken - here's the profile of the team I had at node 12 today.

https://swgoh.gg/u/jamiet/

This player has been playing since at least May of 2016 - top of his shard. This squad is first in arena, has 4 zetas among them, three legendary characters and two raid characters. This squad has a 17% higher Galactic Power and a 29% higher stat power than my arena squad (which is not the same as my top five, but close enough).

I think there's more than one issue with GW, but one of the glaring ones to me is the inability to account for mods, particularly speed. Arena teams are modded for speed. This particular one has the following speed mods, +71, +82, +85, +98, +112. The +71 is Raid Han because he's modded for offense at an astounding +450. GK and Thrawn have >+70% protection.

My arena team is also modded for speed - I finish top 20 when I have time around payout - all of my best speed secondaries are on my arena team. My bench has whatever leftovers there are. Needless to say, it's not great. Speed mods are hard to come by, I've only been playing since January and have spent a TON of cantina energy chasing character shards for legendary events (GMY, EP, R2, CLS, now Thrawn) instead of doing months worth of mod farming. It is what it is.

The end result is that my secondary teams are essentially too slow to do ANYTHING remotely useful against node 12 teams outside of draw specials and give the node 12 more TM for when I have nothing left but my arena team, which has already had its protection blown away because of what we're seeing on nodes 9 and 11 now.

I attempt less than half of the node 12s I see as it's just become increasingly frustrating. I will get an occasional node 12 that's beatable. Sometimes with just one team. It's happened three times since the introduction of Territory Battles and Gear 12. It's unfortunate as it comes at a time when GW tokens are more valuable than ever in order to add depth for platoons or convert to shard shop currency for cuffs / stun guns / etc.

This is easily the worst part of an otherwise great game.

Edit: updated to node 11 as reason for blown away protection on primary team.

First of all man, thanks for taking the time into writing that detailed message. I totally agree with you and I am having the same concern. I don't see the point of fighting people from those top shards, and like you said if they can tone down the Speed mods on the AI that'd be awesome. If anything you should be fighting your arena shard and not somebody that can wreck you and make the mode unplayable. Idk, there's always two sides of the story and while I understand what they're saying above, they are missing the point which is that the mode is broken and sometimes unbeatable/near impossible. I am not saying that a GW should be a cake walk, but it should not be where it is now, especially since the new Shard Shop update.

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I did just Zeta my Fin, and have all the characters to 7*, only need to work on their gear, but at the same time I need to keep up with my arena squad. Currently sitting on two g12 characters, and my arena team literally took a hit when I was forced to switch from a full sith team (because I just could not keep up with all the CLS leads out there and I was being counted hard af) and had to go full rebel. But once the dust is settled, Res is my No.1 concern since they're so awesome in TB.
  • Dante
    32 posts Member
    edited October 2017

I feel ya man, I am the same. Until they adjust it or tone it down I probably won't give too much attention to GW. Like yeah, I will do my best but I will most likely reset once I hit G12 because that's usually when all my squads are drained of protection and they don't do much against a full G12 squad with god mods (shitload of speed and etc.) so Idk, I hope they adress this issue one day. I am literally tired of them releasing new content and useless characters (All the kitten Hans that nobody wants, chewy,ewoks, and now BB8) and fix their actual content. I'd like to see more character reworks as opposed to new character releases in such short time/notice. Transparency is key, considering how much revenue they get from this game every day, you'd think they want to grease the wheels and keep it going but o well......
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
    Idk, there's always two sides of the story and while I understand what they're saying above, they are missing the point which is that the mode is broken and sometimes unbeatable/near impossible.

We aren't missing the point, we're just tired of it. These threads are always the same. Factual misconceptions at least have the potential of being corrected. People who believe that
    Nol_el_en wrote: »
    Having to face 4 or so CLS loaded teams is impossible unless you've spent 10k on the game.

are never going to be convinced otherwise no matter what we say.
  • Nol_el_en wrote: »

Mate stop lying. If you were at the point where you have to face 4 g12 CLS teams, you wouldn't be complaining. You're most likely facing CLS team only at the end of your GW. And they are easy to beat. Clones can get you up to Node 10, sometimes you will need to switch the team for Node 9.

I don't know why your calling him a liar with no way to know for sure. Also, easy is a pretty relative term. It's obviously very difficult for many people.

One of the main problems with GW has always been, in my opinion, that it has a propensity to select top arena teams in the later nodes. This might be fine, maybe, if the arena was heterogeneous in anyway. Unfortunately, every meta iteration introduces one team that is significantly more powerful than all the others, so that's what we get to see in the final stages of GW.
  • Evidently, the Devs are happy with the way GW is structured at the moment.
  • I have been playing this game for a while, and for the most part I stay off the forums because it's full of he said she said. The EA folks are generally very full of themselves when dealing with your concerns, afterall, they built the game and you are expected to pay for it and play it as they see fit. I don't pay a dime into this game, and for the most part I don't complain about anything because I give nothing into the game. But lately GW has really evolved into a really pain in the rear to play, and so I decided to wonder back into the forum to see what people have to say about it. I'm glad I am not alone in how I feel.

After over a year of playing this game 100% FTP, I managed to have exactly 7 star characters and a few more at the cusp of achieving 7 star status. I have zero zetas because I am still desperately trying to farm ships that would allow me to complete the ship challenges required to earn zeta mats. But hey, I play for free, and so I deserve the punishment. It's ok, I'm not complaining.

I am writing today to address the galactic war issue that many seems to have experienced. Despite what the developers said, it is broken. Conceptually it sounds right, but in actuality it doesn't work. The power rating concept does not take into account the mod differences, zeta status and gear make up. I find myself going up against teams at node 11 that are literally similar in power rating and yet it swipes all of my teams. That team had zetas up the wazzu, and no matter what strategy I adopt I wasn't going to beat it. The difference in power rating wasn't great, but ability between the teams are very significant. We all know two teams with equal power ratings will not fight the same way with similar results.

My coworker spent a significant amount of money in this game, and we were talking about the GW issue last week that got him livid. It's not the fact that he spent money and still can't pass node 11, but the fact that it's designed to be impassable. He has about 20 gear 12 characters, including CLS. He has a very well developed empire team, sith team, Jedi team and rebel teams. He has multiple zeta players. He consistently needs to burn half of his roster at half way and then all of his roster at node 11. He even showed me how he his entire team was single handedly wiped out by a CLS with 22,000 power rating. None of his toons are over 20,000, and yet the game keeps throwing teams with multiple zetas and toons with over 20,000 power ratings at him!

If the premise is about power ratings, then perhaps the matching system should also filter for zetas and gears. Also, when you include teams that have toons with extremely high power ratings it's not ever going to be fair because that one room can literally Solo you. After having witnessed the 22,000 point CLS with well over 250 speed single handedly took out an entire team of Jedis with a combined rating of over 60,000 points I realized the power rating matching is a pipe dream. It would not have mattered if all nodes from 1 to 10 were like node 1, because node 11 will effectively wipe off your entire roster. I have gone through GW many many times with 2-3 teams through the first 10 nodes and then just gets slaughtered. For people who doesn't have Thrawn, CLS and GK it's all but guaranteed to be a death sentence.

We know it's easier to say that's the way it is then to admit the concept doesn't work. After all, you guys are game developers and we are just people who knows nothing other than to play your games. There are many times I thought of cashing in some of my iTunes gift cards on this game, and then I keep coming to the conclusion that I would just be paying you guys to get myself beaten harder. Unless you have the most powerful characters in the entire SWGOH universe, you will always be handicapped by the developers and how they structure the game. GW is that perfect example.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    My coworker spent a significant amount of money in this game, and we were talking about the GW issue last week that got him livid. It's not the fact that he spent money and still can't pass node 11, but the fact that it's designed to be impassable. He has about 20 gear 12 characters, including CLS. He has a very well developed empire team, sith team, Jedi team and rebel teams. He has multiple zeta players. He consistently needs to burn half of his roster at half way and then all of his roster at node 11. He even showed me how he his entire team was single handedly wiped out by a CLS with 22,000 power rating. None of his toons are over 20,000, and yet the game keeps throwing teams with multiple zetas and toons with over 20,000 power ratings at him!

See, look. Proof that spending a lot of money has little bearing on somebody's competence to complete GW.
  • Liath wrote: »
    QQKKK41.png

I have been playing this game for a while, and for the most part I stay off the forums because it's full of he said she said. The EA folks are generally very full of themselves when dealing with your concerns, afterall, they built the game and you are expected to pay for it and play it as they see fit. I don't pay a dime into this game, and for the most part I don't complain about anything because I give nothing into the game. But lately GW has really evolved into a really pain in the rear to play, and so I decided to wonder back into the forum to see what people have to say about it. I'm glad I am not alone in how I feel.

After over a year of playing this game 100% FTP, I managed to have exactly 7 star characters and a few more at the cusp of achieving 7 star status. I have zero zetas because I am still desperately trying to farm ships that would allow me to complete the ship challenges required to earn zeta mats. But hey, I play for free, and so I deserve the punishment. It's ok, I'm not complaining.

I am writing today to address the galactic war issue that many seems to have experienced. Despite what the developers said, it is broken. Conceptually it sounds right, but in actuality it doesn't work. The power rating concept does not take into account the mod differences, zeta status and gear make up. I find myself going up against teams at node 11 that are literally similar in power rating and yet it swipes all of my teams. That team had zetas up the wazzu, and no matter what strategy I adopt I wasn't going to beat it. The difference in power rating wasn't great, but ability between the teams are very significant. We all know two teams with equal power ratings will not fight the same way with similar results.

If the premise is about power ratings, then perhaps the matching system should also filter for zetas and gears. Also, when you include teams that have toons with extremely high power ratings it's not ever going to be fair because that one room can literally Solo you. After having witnessed the 22,000 point CLS with well over 250 speed single handedly took out an entire team of Jedis with a combined rating of over 60,000 points I realized the power rating matching is a pipe dream. It would not have mattered if all nodes from 1 to 10 were like node 1, because node 11 will effectively wipe off your entire roster. I have gone through GW many many times with 2-3 teams through the first 10 nodes and then just gets slaughtered. For people who doesn't have Thrawn, CLS and GK it's all but guaranteed to be a death sentence.

We know it's easier to say that's the way it is then to admit the concept doesn't work. After all, you guys are game developers and we are just people who knows nothing other than to play your games. There are many times I thought of cashing in some of my iTunes gift cards on this game, and then I keep coming to the conclusion that I would just be paying you guys to get myself beaten harder. Unless you have the most powerful characters in the entire SWGOH universe, you will always be handicapped by the developers and how they structure the game. GW is that perfect example.

I feel you 100% man, and to conclude it all the GW final reward is not even worth all the time you put into it. 1400 GW currency, few character shards, like what 25crystals, some credits and few ally points. Either they need to redo the formula to take into account the Zetas,Gear,Ability, etc. or increase the rewards so there is somewhat of an incentive to do GW mode. Most games out there that have micro transactions are fair game for both F2P and P2P people, but this one does not share that philosophy, they just take take take and hardly ever give anything back. Why bring out new characters (Darth Revan, Jedi Rey, Jedi Luke, Droidaka,Bounty Hunters, or more Mandalorians) which would def make the game more interesting when you can have 50 Han Solos, Leias and Chewbaccas. Either way the game is pretty broken and I never usually do reviews for games, but in this particular case I feel like the world need to know what kind of commitment they need to put into the game before giving it the slightest chance.
  • Well, at least we got a comment from a moderator. The Devs do not expect you to finish GW all the time. As it stands now, I have beat GW once since CLS came out. The CLS meta totally changed GW. So, you need a team that either does not let CLS have a turn (Resistance) or you run a hide the Nihilus double taunt tanks with Zarris and R2.

I am told that GW is suppose to test your roster. That is not what GW does. GW forces you to farm certain characters to combat whatever new power creeped meta team has been unleashed. SWGoH is developed to make you spend money or to put you at a serious disadvantage against those that do.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Zolaz wrote: »
    Well, at least we got a comment from a moderator. The Devs do not expect you to finish GW all the time. As it stands now, I have beat GW once since CLS came out. The CLS meta totally changed GW. So, you need a team that either does not let CLS have a turn (Resistance) or you run a hide the Nihilus double taunt tanks with Zarris and R2.

I am told that GW is suppose to test your roster. That is not what GW does. GW forces you to farm certain characters to combat whatever new power creeped meta team has been unleashed. SWGoH is developed to make you spend money or to put you at a serious disadvantage against those that do.

How developed your roster is. That is what they mean but test your roster. It takes time to develop a meta proof roster (or money).

You can actually do everything in this game for free, I'd you don't want to spend the time then you would have to consider paying. SWGOH is a marathon not a sprint. Not everyone you fave has payed to build a team, some of us have been around since the beginning and have built up rosters with time, it can be done.

Every new meta changes GW, you can get through it.

Unfortunately the dev have stated they are happy with the completion rate and keep track of it. They don't have plans to change GW right now.
  • @At_al_arqa1 Do you have a lot of well developed tanks? If GW is still using the old 'stat power' model, I've read that it heavily favors tanks.
  • It would be nice if GW was meant to test your roster, but it isn't. After node 9 you'll just get CLSs, Thrawns, Chazes, R2s and such. If you lose one of your top squad to them, you won't be able to beat the rest of 'em that will eventually pop up. There is no real test, they are just force feeding you certain squads, trying to squeeze MORE money that will not help you to win anyway. GW should be about versatility but it's not. It sucks.