TB encourages farming useless characters

Prev1
Who in their right mind would want to spend valuable resources into farming completely useless characters because you made them a requirement for something new and desirable... Guilds are threatening to kick people who refuse to farm these required characters for farming ROLO. They also turn down members who don't have them.

How is a person supposed to keep up with fleet arena, arena, raids and on top of all this have to spend countless of energy on a hard node for hoth rebel soldier and even more precious cantina energy for new Han?

I was thinking the other day about starting a new account just for fun and I had no idea where to start, what to farm. I realized then that starting the game now is a set up for a miserable and horrible account.

I get what you tried to do but seriously did you think that it would work? The first thing you learn in this game is that farming useless characters just because you may like them, is a set up for mediocrity and failure. And you try to encourage this behaviour?

TB needs a change, what's next for dark side? Urruurruurururu and shoretrooper?

Replies

• The reason, of course, is to spend money for refreshes etc.
    However, forcing the farming of useless toons is, imo, making this far too much of a collection 'game' instead of a simple and fun, star wars fighting game.
    There's always a whale around to collect the toons, but there aren't gonna be many others around for them to fight against.
    Eventually.

Oh well, their game, their direction.
    Our time, our choice.
  • By definition if they are needed for territory battles then they are not useless...
  • DavieJG wrote: »
    By definition if they are needed for territory battles then they are not useless...

Keep drinking the kool-aid.
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    The reason, of course, is to spend money for refreshes etc.
    However, forcing the farming of useless toons is, imo, making this far too much of a collection 'game' instead of a simple and fun, star wars fighting game.
    There's always a whale around to collect the toons, but there aren't gonna be many others around for them to fight against.
    Eventually.

Oh well, their game, their direction.
    Our time, our choice.

It's true but they don't really need anyone else around to fight. There will always be a top 100 arena so it doesn't matter if 101 to 5000 are inactive really. If nearly all the money comes from the top 10% it doesn't really matter if the other 90% leave does it?

Don't get me wrong I agree with you. I'll never play another in app purchase game again because of swgoh, they are all cash grabs.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Odyseass7 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would want to spend valuable resources into farming completely useless characters because you made them a requirement for something new and desirable...

They may have been useless before TB came along, but now they are usefull in ...tadaaaa!... TB. They may not be popular for you, but they are no longer useless.
    How is a person supposed to keep up with fleet arena, arena, raids and on top of all this have to spend countless of energy on a hard node for hoth rebel soldier and even more precious cantina energy for new Han?

If you can't have it all at once this is where you have to make decisions and manage your resources.

• Money is the bottom line. We've already had at least 2 packs with hoth soldier shards and no doubt more to come with other useless toons that are hard to get but required to do well in territory battles, that have the most horrible prize boxes we've seen to date in this game.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would want to spend valuable resources into farming completely useless characters because you made them a requirement for something new and desirable...

They may have been useless before TB came along, but now they are usefull in ...tadaaaa!... TB. They may not be popular for you, but they are no longer useless.

If you can't have it all at once this is where you have to make decisions and manage your resources.

Making a character that can't perform well in any parts of the game a requirement for something, isn't making them useful. It's just a dirty move showing people that you don't respect them.

Initially legendary events weren't specific. For example Palpatine requires 5 rebels but any 5 rebels are fine, there aren't 5 specific rebels that you must use. Yoda same way, any 5 jedi will do. R2 you can use any 5 empire toons.

But then came Thrawn and Luke who understandably needed more specific units but at least those units weren't completely trash. Except farmer Luke who is trash but at least they have us a good amount of free shards and hinted that he is gonna be used months ago.

Now with rolo it's not just one but 3 useless characters we need to use and with little warning time
  • You are all right, it is about the money and it's sad to see a game trying so hard to squeeze dollars out of it's player base. I wonder what happended to decency and creating a badass game where skill, effort and strategy get you somewhere, nowadays only money gets you to places.

Hard for me to accept that a person with no skill can simply buy a few hundred dollar packs and enjoy all the additional rewards that come with it, when i have a perfect understanding of the game but my pockets aren't that deep
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    You are all right, it is about the money and it's sad to see a game trying so hard to squeeze dollars out of it's player base. I wonder what happended to decency and creating a badass game where skill, effort and strategy get you somewhere, nowadays only money gets you to places.

Hard for me to accept that a person with no skill can simply buy a few hundred dollar packs and enjoy all the additional rewards that come with it, when i have a perfect understanding of the game but my pockets aren't that deep

You do realize you're playing a freemium game right?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Odyseass7 wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would want to spend valuable resources into farming completely useless characters because you made them a requirement for something new and desirable... Guilds are threatening to kick people who refuse to farm these required characters for farming ROLO. They also turn down members who don't have them.

I was thinking the other day about starting a new account just for fun and I had no idea where to start, what to farm. I realized then that starting the game now is a set up for a miserable and horrible account.

I get what you tried to do but seriously did you think that it would work? The first thing you learn in this game is that farming useless characters just because you may like them, is a set up for mediocrity and failure. And you try to encourage this behaviour?

Let's get one thing right straight off the bat - no character is useless, they all can serve a purpose, that is quite literally the point of TB.

Now I'm Leader of a guild of F2P players with a GP of 25mil - and as such I've asked everybody who can to get Pao/Bohdi/CUP to 3* - I don't feel that this is unreasonable, let's face it they come out of the stores so they are **** easy to farm and 3* doesn't even take many shards! As an F2P guild we cant fill ANY platoons past P2 of TB without some good RNG for us, so the ability to maximise our platoons in P1&P2 is paramount. But it's up to them if they farm them or not....

I also don't get your point about having to use precious energy on Han, he's a pretty solid toon for TB and is necessary if you want to earn ROLO shards. So you make a choice, you either farm him or you don't.

You have accept that as a Free player you can't have everything, because if you did this game would not have any new content put into it. It needs to generate cash. Now I've been playing for 9 months and I'm in a pretty good place, but I know that the forced farm really gets to some people. Just remember though it only seems like a forced farm, you don't have to do it. Hell we've got one guy who has a fully G11 clone squad including Zetas, now this fella has one hell of an Arena team in comparison to the rest of our Guild members with a lot more GP in that one squad than I have in any of mine. But he's done that to the detriment of all of his other toons who are for the most part rubbish. But he enjoys the Clones, likes the way they fight, and doesn't mind that he's missed out on Thrawn, CLS, EP at 7*, R2 at 7*, and Yoda at7*...

You pays your money(or not) and you takes your choice.

Personally I think that the Devs deserve great credit for the way the game keeps adapting and having new content. TB has teething problems sure, but they can and will be ironed out.

Oh and if your current guild is giving you hassle for not farming stuff, we would gladly have you come aboard, just make sure you've got all Hans on deck, CUP/Pao/Bohdi/Baze all at 4* and CLS too. I am of course joking about the requirements, we would however welcome you...

Let's get one thing right straight off the bat - no character is useless, they all can serve a purpose, that is quite literally the point of TB.

Now I'm Leader of a guild of F2P players with a GP of 25mil - and as such I've asked everybody who can to get Pao/Bohdi/CUP to 3* - I don't feel that this is unreasonable, let's face it they come out of the stores so they are **** easy to farm and 3* doesn't even take many shards! As an F2P guild we cant fill ANY platoons past P2 of TB without some good RNG for us, so the ability to maximise our platoons in P1&P2 is paramount. But it's up to them if they farm them or not....

I also don't get your point about having to use precious energy on Han, he's a pretty solid toon for TB and is necessary if you want to earn ROLO shards. So you make a choice, you either farm him or you don't.

You have accept that as a Free player you can't have everything, because if you did this game would not have any new content put into it. It needs to generate cash. Now I've been playing for 9 months and I'm in a pretty good place, but I know that the forced farm really gets to some people. Just remember though it only seems like a forced farm, you don't have to do it. Hell we've got one guy who has a fully G11 clone squad including Zetas, now this fella has one hell of an Arena team in comparison to the rest of our Guild members with a lot more GP in that one squad than I have in any of mine. But he's done that to the detriment of all of his other toons who are for the most part rubbish. But he enjoys the Clones, likes the way they fight, and doesn't mind that he's missed out on Thrawn, CLS, EP at 7*, R2 at 7*, and Yoda at7*...

You pays your money(or not) and you takes your choice.

Personally I think that the Devs deserve great credit for the way the game keeps adapting and having new content. TB has teething problems sure, but they can and will be ironed out.

Oh and if your current guild is giving you hassle for not farming stuff, we would gladly have you come aboard, just make sure you've got all Hans on deck, CUP/Pao/Bohdi/Baze all at 4* and CLS too. I am of course joking about the requirements, we would however welcome you...

What flavour is the kool-aid you're drinking??

Get people to farm toons just for platoons - awesome. Useless otherwise, and forcing people to use limited resources a specific way.

Precious energy for Han - precious as in energy that is harder to come by than the regular stuff. Which is already being used for other cantina necessary toons, or mods.

Putting playable content behind massive paywalls doesn't make it a game. It makes it a purchasing decision. And a demo for only certain levels essentially.

We pay, or not, but are customers either way. No one is infallible. Sometimes feedback from every sort of customer can be relevant.

Personally, I think the devs don't really deserve much credit, and need to be reminded that there is content they are leaving to languish, because they keep changing the nature of the game and moving the goalposts.
  • I just recognise the game for what it is. You and the OP appear not to recognise what it is. The key success in the game is resource management, doesn't matter if your F2P or the biggest whale there is. You've got resources to manage and how you do that will determine the course that your account will follow.

I could bleat about not being able to compete with the whales, with bigger guilds, but actually I came realise they aren't my competition... The game is a very solid platform that plays to a lot of different types of people, which in my experience is something that other mobile games struggle at.

I agree your feedback is indeed relevant, I just also happen to think it's flawed in its concept. This game isn't going to die because of TB, just like it isn't going to die because of there only being whales left. It will die because the world will move on, and the devs wont have moved the game on with it.... But for now they are doing a pretty good job in my opinion.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    @FredsFatties
    Haven't you heard? it's way cooler to hate the game we're all playing ;)
  • leef wrote: »
    @FredsFatties

@leef

Lol - I do think that is so true in many aspects of life, you know what the collective noun for a community of human beings is right?! A whinge...

@FredsFatties

I am capable of recognising a game's shortcomings, and thinking of ways to improve it, while playing it.
    @FredsFatties

@leef

Lol - I do think that is so true in many aspects of life, you know what the collective noun for a community of human beings is right?! A whinge...

See above. Also, very insightful
    Lol omg etc etc
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    slugbahr wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    @FredsFatties

I am capable of recognising a game's shortcomings, and thinking of ways to improve it, while playing it.

Yea, you're one of the cool kids ;)
  • Personally, I enjoy having to use toons I wouldn't normally use, especially since it gives me powerful rewards. These toons have different strategies which is close to playing a slightly different game. Were it not for this requirement, I'd never touch that part of the game, were it not for the rewards I wouldn't care.
  • Absolutely agree with OP. Too much of this game makes no sense to the players, but obviously does to the money makers. I am completely fed up with being pushed to farm one thing, missing farming another, to find you need the other but were farming another. It's constantly pushing you to catch up, not enjoy.
  • Kameleonic wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with OP. Too much of this game makes no sense to the players, but obviously does to the money makers. I am completely fed up with being pushed to farm one thing, missing farming another, to find you need the other but were farming another. It's constantly pushing you to catch up, not enjoy.

Yup exactly. I had to postpone farming Finn for old Ben to CLS. Now I'm postponing Finn again to farm new Han solo for tb.

I wanted to farm sith assasin and sith trooper to help my zaul team out but i won't be doing that.

In addition i can't farm baze or shoretrooper beause I'm cureently doing stupid rebel soldier and untill i finish Nihilus, 0-3 shards a day, i cant farm shore or baze.

It's like the game is made to constantly distract you from your plans. I mean does rebel soldier even have a use outside of tb? Can he do any good in raids? If they make us farm him, might as well power him up and make him aat or rancor useful. Idk why they make us do this
  • Again, spot on.

Worse is even if you pay real cash, you're barely getting ahead any further.
  • I've wondered about players who have only been playing for a few months or even 6 months. I've been playing for 10 months now. I'm only slightly behind the schedule of new events, but I can't imagine what it feels like to be fresh.

Rewards are better now than they were before, or at least more plentiful. But at the same time, you get to see all this potential that you are missing out on. So while there are more opportunities, it also feels like you are further behind.

To those who feel behind, I'd say just play and enjoy the game at your own pace. Don't worry about what you are "missing out on" and instead enjoy playing at whatever stage in the game you are at. You'll eventually catch up. This game can't move too fast, developing is too difficult for that.
  • Ender22 wrote: »
    I've wondered about players who have only been playing for a few months or even 6 months. I've been playing for 10 months now. I'm only slightly behind the schedule of new events, but I can't imagine what it feels like to be fresh.

Rewards are better now than they were before, or at least more plentiful. But at the same time, you get to see all this potential that you are missing out on. So while there are more opportunities, it also feels like you are further behind.

To those who feel behind, I'd say just play and enjoy the game at your own pace. Don't worry about what you are "missing out on" and instead enjoy playing at whatever stage in the game you are at. You'll eventually catch up. This game can't move too fast, developing is too difficult for that.

Pretty much what you said. You see all of this potential but you cant touch it. Instead of farming the important characters for raids, like wedge, tfp, resistance, ect. The game puts you in the path of farming these hoth useless toons and stuff and it only puts you on further disadvantage.

It's a nightmare starting an account now, and avout catching up... it is impossible cause they will simply keep introducing more events like this that will allow older players to keep pulling ahead
    Ender22 wrote: »
    I've wondered about players who have only been playing for a few months or even 6 months. I've been playing for 10 months now. I'm only slightly behind the schedule of new events, but I can't imagine what it feels like to be fresh.

Pretty much what you said. You see all of this potential but you cant touch it. Instead of farming the important characters for raids, like wedge, tfp, resistance, ect. The game puts you in the path of farming these hoth useless toons and stuff and it only puts you on further disadvantage.

It's a nightmare starting an account now, and avout catching up... it is impossible cause they will simply keep introducing more events like this that will allow older players to keep pulling ahead

The good news is you don't have to keep up with the older players. Your arena and fleet mates are, and will always be, at your level. Best you can do is manage your resources better than they do. Figure out what will get you ahead, and keep you ahead in the long run.

i'd theorize focus on Zader for Rancor, which will help you get R2, which (if you combine your efforts using Ezra and Kanan) will help you get EP then Yoda. Then build a Rebels team for CLS and you are set.
  • Ender22 wrote: »

The good news is you don't have to keep up with the older players. Your arena and fleet mates are, and will always be, at your level. Best you can do is manage your resources better than they do. Figure out what will get you ahead, and keep you ahead in the long run.

i'd theorize focus on Zader for Rancor, which will help you get R2, which (if you combine your efforts using Ezra and Kanan) will help you get EP then Yoda. Then build a Rebels team for CLS and you are set.

Zader is trash, focusing on phoenix and rogue one will help with both rancor and unlocking Thrawn, EP and territory battles

Zader is trash, focusing on phoenix and rogue one will help with both rancor and unlocking Thrawn, EP and territory battles

Zader is pretty trash for Rancor, but for a combined effort, he isn't too bad. He really gave me the advantage for the r2 event. Wouldn't have gotten R2 otherwise as I didn't focus on dark side at all. But true. Thrawn would have probably helped more against R2. Didn't have that option then.
  • rtj.jpg
  • You can do r2 with Palpatine lead, vader, tfp, tarkin and any 5th toon. I didn't even have tfp, i had to use royal guard and magmatrooper