My thoughts

I would like to state my opinion on the NFL controversy. My thought is that if you want to show unity the best way to do so would be to link arms. This expresses more unity than some kneeling and others not. I believe that the players have the right to protest but I personally think they are protesting the wrong way. I have the rights to jump of a deck to get to the patio, but the stairs are probably safer.
I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman

Replies

• Exactly. My family and I hate that the players are protesting against America during the football games. We have no problem them protesting in general but don't protest during their jobs. They should be thanksful for this country because without America, they wouldn't be making millions of dollars.
  • Exactly. My family and I hate that the players are protesting against America during the football games. We have no problem them protesting in general but don't protest during their jobs. They should be thanksful for this country because without America, they wouldn't be making millions of dollars.

Most people don't encounter the national anthem during their jobs.

I don't like it either, but it is certainly a unique circumstance for professional athletes.
  • The point of a protest is to get people to notice, and since so many people are discussing it, i’d say its an effective protest.
  • UrbanSpacemanKAL
    2450 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I dispute the false narrative that any protest is by it's nature disrespectful to America, military personnel, or anything else. Either you believe people (not just soldiers) sacrificed so you could express your first amendment rights or you don't.

That said, if someone protests in a way you don't like you can speak up. You won't get fired, why should they?

I also don't appreciate the President criticizing certain NBA & NFL players (mostly minorities), and then holding up NASCAR and the NHL as 'better' examples of 'real American' sports. Or for that matter telling people who make millions to keep quiet. If that's the criteria...well I suppose you can extrapolate.

• I dispute the false narrative that any protest is by it's nature disrespectful to America, military personnel, or anything else.

I don't remember saying that protesting is disrespectful to anybody. Like I said I am okay with the players using the 1st amendment. I just think they went the wrong way about doing so.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • Tman wrote: »
    I dispute the false narrative that any protest is by it's nature disrespectful to America, military personnel, or anything else.

I don't remember saying that protesting is disrespectful to anybody. Like I said I am okay with the players using the 1st amendment. I just think they went the wrong way about doing so.

You have not. The President most certainly has, but you aren't responsible for the narrative he and his associates have put forth. I have no issues with your statement at all.
  • Here's the deal: if NFL executives are okay with their players doing whatever (kneel, hold up fists, etc) in the name of free speech (even though that doesn't apply when you're at your job representing your organization), then said executives are free to take no action and allow this to continue. If these executives are okay with alienating a large portion of their customers and are okay with diminishing viewership, ad revenue and merch sales then by all means continue "protesting." This is the beauty of America. We're all free to take whatever actions we deem necessary... you just have to accept the consequences.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • I don't see this form of protest as a sign of disrespect towards our nation. To be honest, I'd rather have peaceful (but striking) demonstrations, than more riots. I don't recall the President ever feeling this strongly about Charlottesville. You know, the protest where people actually died..
  • ExarTheKun wrote: »
    I don't see this form of protest as a sign of disrespect towards our nation. To be honest, I'd rather have peaceful (but striking) demonstrations, than more riots. I don't recall the President ever feeling this strongly about Charlottesville. You know, the protest where people actually died..

Are you reading my mind? :o
  • I like how trump’s base will defend the statues and flags of traitors who nearly destroyed this country because they would rather enslave millions of people than cut the grass, but as soon as someone takes a knee during a football game, its an egregious assault on america, the troops, democracy, or whatever.
  • I think the president made things a lot worse by using unnecessarily inflammatory rhetoric, but on the other hand, I think the people protesting are woefully misinformed. They are protesting a country where minorities are treated far better than most places in the world, a country that provides them a platform to make millions of dollars doing the thing they love while kids of all races look up to them as heroes. To act as if America is more racist than other nations when it is actually much less so, that's what has a lot of football fans angry about this whole anthem debate. The protests do not seem to be about racism in general, which does exist, but about how America is so racist, which many of us see as a destructive and false narrative.
  • I think the president made things a lot worse by using unnecessarily inflammatory rhetoric, but on the other hand, I think the people protesting are woefully misinformed. They are protesting a country where minorities are treated far better than most places in the world, a country that provides them a platform to make millions of dollars doing the thing they love while kids of all races look up to them as heroes. To act as if America is more racist than other nations when it is actually much less so, that's what has a lot of football fans angry about this whole anthem debate. The protests do not seem to be about racism in general, which does exist, but about how America is so racist, which many of us see as a destructive and false narrative.

“But moooom, everyone else is doing it!”
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    I think the president made things a lot worse by using unnecessarily inflammatory rhetoric, but on the other hand, I think the people protesting are woefully misinformed. They are protesting a country where minorities are treated far better than most places in the world, a country that provides them a platform to make millions of dollars doing the thing they love while kids of all races look up to them as heroes. To act as if America is more racist than other nations when it is actually much less so, that's what has a lot of football fans angry about this whole anthem debate. The protests do not seem to be about racism in general, which does exist, but about how America is so racist, which many of us see as a destructive and false narrative.

“But moooom, everyone else is doing it!”

That's not my argument. I'm not saying that racism is ok because everyone does it. I'm saying that the claims of bigotry in America are largely exaggerated, whereas the fact that racism exists everywhere in the world and always has is ignored. Racism is never acceptable, but to not acknowledge that we are one of the least racist nations, to instead pretend as if the opposite is true, to ignore the progress America has made with regard to race relations relative to the rest of the world... I think that is a perspective which only serves to drive a wedge between us.
  • NFL is the dumbest sport league, who cares/ nobody watches. They just make money off beer and fan paraphernalia
    Can we rotate out the Moderators?
  • Watch hockey. It’s more enjoyable than football.

Yes!
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu

Yes!

Me and my father still go to college hockey games with his friends to this day. I have a blast!