Google Gift Card Promotion?

Replies

• K2S0 fiasco all over again...
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have there been any ios-specific characters/promotions? I've been playing for a while (over a year at least ... I believe Bistan was a login character around when I started) and I don't recall seeing any, but this is now the second Android exclusive I remember, after K2SO.

The only time iOS got something that Android didn't, was April 2016, GoH participated in the Apple Earth Day event, and there was an Ewok event and packs.

There was also the Lando promotion that was quickly shut down due to abusers.

It's worth keeping in mind that these "platform specific" promotions are paid for by the respective platform companies (i.e. Google and Apple). Regardless as to which side of the discussion you fall, it is a little short-sighted to "blame" CG/EA if the platform you chose to play on doesn't chose to pay for the various perks.

I completely understand this, but what reason is there for not allowing Apple users to purchase this for the same price? Take the amount per player you get from Google and offer that to Apple players. Google players will still be happy with Google for paying for their free stuff, while Apple users can get the same deal as well.
  • scuba wrote: »
    Vampire_X wrote: »
    This Hotfix addressed non Player facing issues as well as the following below:
    • 43 star Territory Battle gear rewards have now been fixed.
    • Guilds that reached 43 stars in the previous Territory Battles will receive their correct rewards as well as compensation for the error.
    • Added functionality for specific Google Promotional Gift Card redemption.
    • Fixed an incorrect French translation for Thrawn’s Ebb and Flow ability.
    • Territory Battles will now display the number of participants in Japanese.

For reference to the google promo being added yesterday Friday 09/28

It was actually added with the HF on friday

XOfJlun.png
    Would be nice to get the specific details of how this works.

I did it myself this morning. You go to walmart.com and buy a gift card that gets email delivered or go to the store directly. The price of the card (up to $50) gives you the best rewards. Once you have the gift card code. Buy anything in the store using that card and a message pops up saying there has been a reward added to your Google Play account. Go to your account through the Google Play Store app and redeem the reward. Log into SWGOH and claim it. From what I know, a $10 gift card grants you 80 Rey shards and 750 crystals, while a $50 gift card gives you 330 Rey shards and 3000 crystals. Hope that clears things up for everyone.
  • Hank_swgoh
    1 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    People on my shard are reporting they are getting the rewards multiple times!!! U can redeem it several times if u buy several cards!!! That's ridiculous...
    it is a little short-sighted to "blame" CG/EA if the platform you chose to play on doesn't chose to pay for the various perks.

Worst argument ever. CG/EA entered into the agreement with Google/Apple to bring in a promotion like this. They know these types of promotions cause chaos and they can choose not to. They are ultimately to blame for any promotion like this.
    Out of curiosity, have there been any ios-specific characters/promotions? I've been playing for a while (over a year at least ... I believe Bistan was a login character around when I started) and I don't recall seeing any, but this is now the second Android exclusive I remember, after K2SO.

The only time iOS got something that Android didn't, was April 2016, GoH participated in the Apple Earth Day event, and there was an Ewok event and packs.

It's worth keeping in mind that these "platform specific" promotions are paid for by the respective platform companies (i.e. Google and Apple). Regardless as to which side of the discussion you fall, it is a little short-sighted to "blame" CG/EA if the platform you chose to play on doesn't chose to pay for the various perks.

I completely understand this, but what reason is there for not allowing Apple users to purchase this for the same price? Take the amount per player you get from Google and offer that to Apple players. Google players will still be happy with Google for paying for their free stuff, while Apple users can get the same deal as well.

That defeats the purpose of the Google promotion and would likely deter Google from doing any more in the future. The promotion isn’t just a thank you to their costumers it’s also an enticement for Apple users to switch to android.
  • Hank_swgoh wrote: »
    People on my shard are reporting they are getting the rewards multiple times!!! U can redeem it several times if u buy several cards!!! That's ridiculous...

Well yes if u keep buying the cards u u keep getting the rewards. Bless those money spending whales the keep my ftp _ _ _ steady playing give them more free stuff. Blame apple they are cheap elitist who won't spend that money cause they have it all ready. Sorry for the mistake s my iPhone is acting up
  • Rara
    26 posts Member
    usArmyJedi wrote: »

Okay from your logic if you had 2 kids and you offered to buy shoes for both of them. One says no the other says yes. 1 week later your kid that declined is shoeless. You gonna not buy him shoes? Hope nobodies life is in your hand...

That is the worst analogy I have ever seen. Impressive!

Well yes if u keep buying the cards u u keep getting the rewards. Bless those money spending whales the keep my ftp _ _ _ steady playing give them more free stuff. Blame apple they are cheap elitist who won't spend that money cause they have it all ready. Sorry for the mistake s my iPhone is acting up

That’s all good except this particular promotion doesn’t even require you to spend that money on swgoh. You could buy a card, grocery shop and still get free swgoh stuff.
  • As a F2P iOS user I couldn't care less about any of this, but the lack of at least some clarifying words explaining the promotion is mind-boggling to me.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Hank_swgoh wrote: »

That’s all good except this particular promotion doesn’t even require you to spend that money on swgoh. You could buy a card, grocery shop and still get free swgoh stuff.

Google Play sells groceries now?

I'm just curious, when trying to have a discussion do you plan to make things up out of thin air, or is it just a natural gift you have?
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*

I'm just curious, when trying to have a discussion do you plan to make things up out of thin air, or is it just a natural gift you have?

Maybe he's referring to FarmVille or something.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu

Sorry I was confused I thought it was a Walmart gift card not google play card from Walmart, my bad. My point still stands though.

Sorry I was confused I thought it was a Walmart gift card not google play card from Walmart, my bad. My point still stands though.

You buy a Google gift card from Walmart. So it's kinda both lol

Yeah that how rewards work. I get reward points on hotel rooms from using certain credit cards I don't spend money on the hotel rooms . The credit card has promotional dollars to drum up business to using their credit card thus paying the hotel x amount of money to do so. Android which is a competitor to apple paid ea ft for this promotional to either retain customers or draw in new ones. It happens everyday, there is no unfairness involved if u want free rewards go to android I wanted free hotel stays I used that credit card I didn't call the hotel and say why did u do that knowing I don't have that card.

Yeah that how rewards work. I get reward points on hotel rooms from using certain credit cards I don't spend money on the hotel rooms . The credit card has promotional dollars to drum up business to using their credit card thus paying the hotel x amount of money to do so. Android which is a competitor to apple paid ea ft for this promotional to either retain customers or draw in new ones. It happens everyday, there is no unfairness involved if u want free rewards go to android I wanted free hotel stays I used that credit card I didn't call the hotel and say why did u do that knowing I don't have that card.

+100
  • Man oh man, these guys need to hire a public relations firm ASAP. Even if Apple didn’t offer to do this, the developers at the very least should offer some kind of incentive to Apple/iOS players to avoid any ill feelings. It’s just good business.
  • I can confirm that this does work in Canada. Just need to buy US Google Play card from Walmart.com.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Is it not possible to switch platforms? I.E. move an ios acct to a tablet or Android emulator on pc, get your rewards, then switch back?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Man oh man, these guys need to hire a public relations firm ASAP. Even if Apple didn’t offer to do this, the developers at the very least should offer some kind of incentive to Apple/iOS players to avoid any ill feelings. It’s just good business.

If Google pays for this to incentivise ppl to switch to Android, why in the world would they allow CG to offer similar rewards to apple users?
  • Darth_cowboy
    1139 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Is it not possible to switch platforms? I.E. move an ios acct to a tablet or Android emulator on pc, get your rewards, then switch back?

When you make a platform switch it creates a new save file for the new os and if you ever switch back it goes back to the old save file. And it can take a week each way to transfer
  • Man oh man, these guys need to hire a public relations firm ASAP. Even if Apple didn’t offer to do this, the developers at the very least should offer some kind of incentive to Apple/iOS players to avoid any ill feelings. It’s just good business.

Why would Google ever pay for a promotion then? The idea is to create some incentive by the advertiser/promoter to use their product.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

When you make a platform switch it creates a new save file for the new os and if you ever switch back it goes back to the old save file

So you could switch, but not switch back...makes even more sense now!
  • Is this a one time thing? And is 100 a thing as well? Or just 10, 25 and 100?

You can get all three tiers of reward...$85 buys you all three tiers.
  • Is this a one time thing? And is 100 a thing as well? Or just 10, 25 and 100?

Three reward tiers...$10, $25, and $50. $100 card gets you the $50 tier reward.

You know that CG/EA gets money from Google right? In game currency/shard doesn't actually cost CG/EA anything. Also adds to the possibility that new players will join the game because they have some incentives to try the game. Clash Royale and the Transformers game had similar offers.
  • If I had a dollar for every time an Apple user cried I could buy a Google promotional card.
    Android >> Apple
  • If I had a dollar for every time an Apple user cried I could buy a Google promotional card.
    Android >> Apple

People need to understand that the two companies have fundamentally different business models. Google uses Android as a loss leader and to prevent Apple from dominating the market. They give Android to cell phone makers for free and give away things on a regular basis because they don't seek a profit from Android. They just want the data.

Apple conversely uses iOS and apps as sources of revenue. Apple takes a portion of every transaction made on the iOS and control every aspect of how the app is sold.

Likely something in google's promotion contract that prevents them from giving away the same deal to other avenues. At least, it makes sense to me if that were the case. If google is paying to set up a promotion in the game - I wouldn't want them turning around and giving away that same promotion to my competitor.

Apple has every opportunity to do similar things and doesn't (just my observation from what I know about their games, etc). They just choose not to. Google seems to actively pursue these opportunities.

So this isn't on CG or EA. I'm sure they'd jump at the chance for Apple to do something similar.
This discussion has been closed.