Google Gift Card Promotion?

Replies

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Is this a new Rey or is it the one that was already in the game?

One already in the game
  • Any word from EA/CG on this?

I am a Canadian user, and bought the USD gift card from Walmart.com. Google will not let me redeem the gift card using google play. Not through a VPN, not after adding a US account to my google account, nothing.

If we could just get some comments from EA/CG about this it would do a lot to clear up the confusion.

If anyone else knows of anything else I might be able to try to actually redeem my USD gift card please message me!
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    IAmHaplo wrote: »
    Any word from EA/CG on this?

I am a Canadian user, and bought the USD gift card from Walmart.com. Google will not let me redeem the gift card using google play. Not through a VPN, not after adding a US account to my google account, nothing.

If we could just get some comments from EA/CG about this it would do a lot to clear up the confusion.

If anyone else knows of anything else I might be able to try to actually redeem my USD gift card please message me!

There is a post on reddit with some info on this. Good luck
  • scuba wrote: »

One already in the game

Ok thanks scuba I appreciate the clarification :)
    scuba wrote: »

One already in the game

Ok thanks scuba I appreciate the clarification :)
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have there been any ios-specific characters/promotions? I've been playing for a while (over a year at least ... I believe Bistan was a login character around when I started) and I don't recall seeing any, but this is now the second Android exclusive I remember, after K2SO.

The only time iOS got something that Android didn't, was April 2016, GoH participated in the Apple Earth Day event, and there was an Ewok event and packs.

There was also the Lando promotion that was quickly shut down due to abusers.

It's worth keeping in mind that these "platform specific" promotions are paid for by the respective platform companies (i.e. Google and Apple). Regardless as to which side of the discussion you fall, it is a little short-sighted to "blame" CG/EA if the platform you chose to play on doesn't chose to pay for the various perks.

I completely understand this, but what reason is there for not allowing Apple users to purchase this for the same price? Take the amount per player you get from Google and offer that to Apple players. Google players will still be happy with Google for paying for their free stuff, while Apple users can get the same deal as well.

That defeats the purpose of the Google promotion and would likely deter Google from doing any more in the future. The promotion isn’t just a thank you to their costumers it’s also an enticement for Apple users to switch to android.

How does it defeat the purpose of the promotion? Android people would still free stuff that iOS wouldn't. For example, let's say Google/Wal-Mart gives EA $15 (made up number) kickback for this deal per person as a promotion. Why not offer iOS members a $65 package that includes $50 in crystals plus the bonus crystals and Rey shards? Android members still get their bonus, and it is made clear that they are offering extra to their customers.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I understand your frustration, but don't quite get why many are having problems understanding how this works.

There are game-companies who think something like “we are aware that we created a game on a global platform with sharded content and for not alienating some users or create unfair advantages to newer users we just don’t do such deals but try our best in creating awesome content which generates our revenue”. Different companies different policies, but stuff like this tells so much.

To all the people saying "don't blame EA/CG,this is all on Apple for not paying for this promotion" please read the above quote.

You could say that EA would be foolish to turn down money from Google/Wal-Mart; you could also say they'd be foolish to alienate a huge portion of their customer base. Their strategy seems to be working though since the game is nearing its two year anniversary. I just wanted to point out that all parties involved in a deal (or non-deal, like Apple) are responsible for the fallout from said deal.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • It's been an hour since I bought and still has not been e-mailed. The first one I bought arrived in 7 minutes. Anyone else have this issue? How long did you have to wait?
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    It's been an hour since I bought and still has not been e-mailed. The first one I bought arrived in 7 minutes. Anyone else have this issue? How long did you have to wait?

I waited over 2 hours for 50 one and ended up canceling it.
    Order 4 10 ones got them in 10 minutes
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Could be worse... I redeemed mine 9 hours ago and never got the promotion and spent 103 minutes on the phone with EA support before the call got dropped.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Randall wrote: »
    Could be worse... I redeemed mine 9 hours ago and never got the promotion and spent 103 minutes on the phone with EA support before the call got dropped.

We are talking just waiting to get the kitten card.
  • Ordered the 10$ one to test and i got in 15min. Ordered 25 and 50 together and its been 2hours and its still processing. Either they are noticing too many buying from Non-US places or they are really backed up in their system....
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I understand your frustration, but don't quite get why many are having problems understanding how this works.

There are game-companies who think something like “we are aware that we created a game on a global platform with sharded content and for not alienating some users or create unfair advantages to newer users we just don’t do such deals but try our best in creating awesome content which generates our revenue”. Different companies different policies, but stuff like this tells so much.

To all the people saying "don't blame EA/CG,this is all on Apple for not paying for this promotion" please read the above quote.

You could say that EA would be foolish to turn down money from Google/Wal-Mart; you could also say they'd be foolish to alienate a huge portion of their customer base. Their strategy seems to be working though since the game is nearing its two year anniversary. I just wanted to point out that all parties involved in a deal (or non-deal, like Apple) are responsible for the fallout from said deal.

How does this alienate their customers base? This is being offered by google Thur a promotional deal w Walmart happens every day. credit cards do this daily airlines upgrade frequent flyer who fly more or use certain credit cards. I'm not trying to insult any one but this is simply business promotion 101. I believe there are a lot of younger people on here who don't quite understand how this works and how it is totally not unfair.
  • Kevern_Zaksor
    894 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

How does this alienate their customers base? This is being offered by google Thur a promotional deal w Walmart happens every day. credit cards do this daily airlines upgrade frequent flyer who fly more or use certain credit cards. I'm not trying to insult any one but this is simply business promotion 101. I believe there are a lot of younger people on here who don't quite understand how this works and how it is totally not unfair.

I didn't say it was unfair, I said it was a choice with consequences. It does alienate a percentage of iOS users.

I agree with you, people misunderstand the nature of these types of deals and get all bent out of shape about it- and the fact that people react poorly to such a deal should be a factor when a company like EA decides to do this. Rational or not, the backlash should be anticipated and considered as a factor. Like I said, I don't think it has hurt their bottom line so it probably wasn't a bad idea.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Guys. This promo has nothing to do with CG/EA. The issue here is apple's refusal to match the google promo.
    If you want to be angry at someone, please direct your anger towards the Apple customer service line. Apple is well known for firmly adhearing to their premium pricing model and not allowing discounts. If enough players make it clear to apple that they are disappointed they may be inclined to work with EA in the future, but blaming CG/EA is the wrong move here.
  • Guys. This promo has nothing to do with CG/EA. The issue here is apple's refusal to match the google promo.
    If you want to be angry at someone, please direct your anger towards the Apple customer service line. Apple is well known for firmly adhearing to their premium pricing model and not allowing discounts. If enough players make it clear to apple that they are disappointed they may be inclined to work with EA in the future, but blaming CG/EA is the wrong move here.

I feel like a broken record here... How exactly does a deal between Google, Wal-Mart and EA/CG have nothing to do with EA/CG? They had to approve this deal and accept whatever money exchanged hands. They've adopted this business model and marketing "strategy."

You can still blame Apple for not engaging in this particular activity but ultimately it's up to EA/CG to even allow this sort of thing to happen. It's their game and if they wanted an even playing field they could tell google to shove it. Like I said above, that may not even be in their best interest and there's no judgement coming from me, but people need to be realistic about what's going on here.
    -Sun Tzu
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Guys. This promo has nothing to do with CG/EA. The issue here is apple's refusal to match the google promo.

I feel like a broken record here... How exactly does a deal between Google, Wal-Mart and EA/CG have nothing to do with EA/CG? They had to approve this deal and accept whatever money exchanged hands. They've adopted this business model and marketing "strategy."

You can still blame Apple for not engaging in this particular activity but ultimately it's up to EA/CG to even allow this sort of thing to happen. It's their game and if they wanted an even playing field they could tell google to shove it. Like I said above, that may not even be in their best interest and there's no judgement coming from me, but people need to be realistic about what's going on here.

Who said they want all even playing field....
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    Kind of makes you want to get an android tablet
  • Im Canadian and just did a trial with the 10$ card. Google actually made it really easy to change your address. And now you can make a US and Canadian profile on the same account. Bought the card on walmart.com (used PayPal) and put in a US address on Walmarts website (use a friend or family or random from google maps) and the card is sent to your email. 10$ card took about 15 minutes to send. Gonna buy the 50$ now.

Took about 5 minutes for the promo to show up in swgoh.
  • I just tried the 50$ card. Walmart wouldn't process it. Strange.
  • I can't get the 50 either. Been over 3 hours, cancelled it and gonna try just for the 25 for now, but its not processing either.
  • Maybe it doesn't like the billing address through PayPal is Canadian. Oh well. Or maybe the credit card arc company doesn't like that im buying from American website.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they put a hold on the payment
  • Before anyone jumps up to get their credit card there is a problem if you want to actually use the google play money on SWGOH. There is no option to use a partial payment with google play credit. Read up and some people said once you enter a different payment option it will ask if you want to use your google play credits. This did not happen
  • #androidmasterrace
  • I used the 10$ already . Just bought the 9.99$ crystals deal. So it worked fine.

Problem is I can't buy another card . Walmart won't process the payment and is cancelling it
  • You can change payment options if you have less than 10$ in your Google wallet.
  • whats going on spent 50 on google gift card at walmart put on here and nothing
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Turner55 wrote: »
    how about ios gets some special deal ? always android

Google is desperate to keep anyone on Android. All the high end users are gone.

Apple doesn’t need to bribe EA.

Mmm ios salt :lol:
    #androidmasterrace
    #iostears
  • For real tho how much rewards do these cards give? Do the $10 give as much as the 20 and so on? Also is it true you can use multiple cards for multiple rewards?
  • People are trying to argue about apple google...

Does no one see that this potentially has an effect on game balance? I know that Google will have an inherent bias that it "won't", and iOS will be the opposite, but there is an impact, and it should be considered.
  • Delmon_Ciiidrr
    504 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    People are trying to argue about apple google...

Does no one see that this potentially has an effect on game balance? I know that Google will have an inherent bias that it "won't", and iOS will be the opposite, but there is an impact, and it should be considered.

I agree. I think it doesnt effect mature leaderboards, but for players that start now or started the last weeks/months getting a 7* character that easy will have a not to be underestimated effect. The free ressources and that while Rey is maybe not a top tier character but still good will lead to an impact in Arena and other game modes.
This discussion has been closed.