Thrawn or FOO?

I currently run an FO team in Arena, but with CLS instead of FOTP, which has been great; I'm placing higher in Arena and holding my spot better with the switch. I've been wondering though, would Thrawn be better than FOO, stars/gear/mods being equal? FOO gives Tenacity Up (great for Zylo) and provides a small amount of TM with his special attack, but Thrawn heals 40% protection, doesn't lose his TM when he gives someone else 100% (cuz of swap), and his Fracture Ability is obviously better than FOO's crippling shot. Thrawn also has higher base speed, a huge plus. However, Thrawn doesn't benefit as much from Phasma's lead, as he is not FO. Thoughts?

Replies

• Germi
    553 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Cupcake or Salad ?

Sorry I couldn’t resist!
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    I say wait till you get to the harder levels in GW and put that team in and see.
    I personally would put Thrawn in because his kit helps you strategize a little more.
  • Yeah the only particular reason I'm asking is because my Thrawn is not 7* or g11 yet, I would need to invest some resources to make it so. Still trying to weigh out whether I want to go for it or just leave him at 6* g8 for the time being.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    The real benefit to FO, like Phoenix, is the synergy derived from the lead. The fewer FO u use, the less u benefit. zFOTP, zFOST, zPhasma r the backbone and 100% necessary to run a competitive FO squad imo.

U could replace Kylo and FOO for CLS and Thrawn, but zFOTP is your main damage dealer and running FO w/out him cripples u imo.
  • Thrawn over FOO for sure. FOO's Offense up + TM + Advantage is nice but not as helpful as Thrawn's specials.
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Poxx wrote: »
    The real benefit to FO, like Phoenix, is the synergy derived from the lead. The fewer FO u use, the less u benefit. zFOTP, zFOST, zPhasma r the backbone and 100% necessary to run a competitive FO squad imo.

U could replace Kylo and FOO for CLS and Thrawn, but zFOTP is your main damage dealer and running FO w/out him cripples u imo.

Replacing FOTP with CLS, I have experienced the exact opposite. CLS's damage output is slightly less than FOTP, but the benefits of CLS are so much greater - don't feel the need to outline them here if you're familiar with CLS's kit. Also haven't zetad FOTP, and I'm glad I haven't as it would have been a big waste. G12 CLS with both Uniques Zetad is vastly superior. And he still gets free assists and throws around lots of debuffs and stuns.

Also, replacing my Zylo was never in question, as he is the best FO toon by far. FOO and FOTP have always seemed to be the most disposable to me.
  • if you are running FOTP without his Zeta, then yes, I can understand why he would be a let down. With the Zeta, he would be far better IMHO then CLS in that squad.
    I no longer run the FO squad in Arenas, CLS, Thraw kinda ruined what run they did have. But I do not regret at all the Zetas I placed on FOTP and FOST.
  • if you are running FOTP without his Zeta, then yes, I can understand why he would be a let down. With the Zeta, he would be far better IMHO then CLS in that squad.
    I no longer run the FO squad in Arenas, CLS, Thraw kinda ruined what run they did have. But I do not regret at all the Zetas I placed on FOTP and FOST.

Just because zFOTP occasionally gets Foresight, he's better than CLS? I don't buy it. And I agree, FO is becoming more obsolete with the release of each toon, but I'm hoping they get a second life with the next movie.
  • obviously hes not better than CLS.
    CLS just gives a ton. but zFOTP would bring more than kylo.. so you should use CLS and zFOTP.
    as people already suggested...
    zPhase, zFOTP, zFOST, Thrawn, CLS is your answer.
    dont expect it to be amazing on defense tho.
  • I use FO with Thrawn instead of FOO and enjoyed the results
  • SwiftMooky wrote: »
    Yeah the only particular reason I'm asking is because my Thrawn is not 7* or g11 yet, I would need to invest some resources to make it so. Still trying to weigh out whether I want to go for it or just leave him at 6* g8 for the time being.

Well Thrawn it's great even at 5* if its geared well and with good mods so if you wanna try, it's up to you. Maybe wait till he's G10/11 and replace it for FOO could be a better option
  • I ran maxed fo with zeta's and replaced foo with 5 star gear 11 thrawn. Worked better. Still hardly meta team.
    I'd start formulating a team around cls, thrawn and zfost.
  • lamatoe wrote: »
    I ran maxed fo with zeta's and replaced foo with 5 star gear 11 thrawn. Worked better. Still hardly meta team.
    I'd start formulating a team around cls, thrawn and zfost.

Yes I was considering this as well, doing a CLS, Thrawn, Zylo, zFOST plus either R2 or Ezra. Or maybe even Nihilus (but I feel like if I had Nihilus, I would need r2 so that he could force Nihilus to hide behind Zylo.)
  • Thrawn, if you can max his kits, maybe zeta the kit that gives 100%counterchance while an enemy is Fractured.

FOO is great, dont get me wrong, buuut, he is just too flimsy weak. Lacks defense.

what lineups do you juggle from in Squad Arena?

i vote for Thrawn. (assigns TM and protection, much more beefier in terms of defenses compared to FOO)
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Enye164 wrote: »
    Thrawn, if you can max his kits, maybe zeta the kit that gives 100%counterchance while an enemy is Fractured.

FOO is great, dont get me wrong, buuut, he is just too flimsy weak. Lacks defense.

what lineups do you juggle from in Squad Arena?

i vote for Thrawn. (assigns TM and protection, much more beefier in terms of defenses compared to FOO)

I'm in the top 100 in a launch shard, so I'm facing mostly CLS teams that usually have Zolo and/or Chaze or sometimes Nihilus or Thrawn or GK. The other lead I often face is Rex + GK +Zarris, Nihilus, Thrawn, etc. Most/all of the toons in every team I fight are g12. Right now my Zylo and zCLS are both g12 as well. I can usually fight my way down to the 60's and then get bumped back up to the 80's or 90's by payout (I'm in a different timezone than I started in, so I'm sleeping during payout).