Distorted Ship Shard

Replies

• I think the shards were created when you entered it, as it was for tournaments.
    The most active people entered it first and created a super over active shard.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Mattos wrote: »
    I think the shards were created when you entered it, as it was for tournaments.
    The most active people entered it first and created a super over active shard.

Possibly, yes. I know that many of the top contenders of my normal arena shard are also in this ship shard with us. Well, the next time they introduce such a feature I won’t play for a week and only then load the update. Maybe I’ll share a shard with noobs then.
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    slugbahr wrote: »
    How many active accounts are there supposed to be on a shard? 20 (just enough for crystals)? 100? 180? 420? 666?

That is a very interesting point and I have an answer for you. A few months ago one of the top players quit the game in our shard. The last team he used was a now useless zMaul team. The last time an ally of this player checked his position he was still close to position 100 (and he hasn’t played since then). This alone limits the number of really active players to this order of magnitude. Really active here means some form of P2P who dedicate a lot of time and effort to the game.

The ship shard, in contrast, has, I would say, 1000 very active players.

Edit: and no, the arena shard is far from easy. Top players drop to top 20 over night. So the usual figure.
  • This shard was not created randomly and was the product of a calculation that did not work for players who started in the summer of 2016.

You have my sympathies for your struggles with GW but after playing for an extended period of time it will get easier. This shard only gets worse with the recent catalyst of better rewards. There are maxed teams located well into the hundreds which is so far from any normal shard that it warrants a reshuffle. I have guild mates on this shard who rank top ten in arena and in the thousands here

Can we keep this thread on the topic of this shard and not other issues that you may face in this game. There are separate threads to discuss the challenge of GW or arena
  • Again, you got placed in a shard with a lot of activity. Boo hoo!
    With the amount of shards out there, these things happen.
    You got the short end of the stick - in this instance.
    Others get it in other ways.

They have to suck it up. So do you.
    (You plural, not singular)
  • Also, 100 active players? All fighting for 'top' spots?
    Sounds like CG are raking it in from all the crystals being spent - why would they change that?
  • I don't intend to be impolite, but this is clearly an issue that doesn't affect you and is killing the game for me. To spend two hours on ships a day to hit number one is unsustainable

Regarding your question about crystals, I spend money on this game but if I quit out of frustration, I no longer spend crystals. Equally, many of these players would spend regardless of being on a competitive shard, redistributing these players would improve the quality of life for everyone in this start vintage. I maxed out my fleet a long time ago and see no need to spend another penny until there's an incentive to do so.
  • This shard was not created randomly and was the product of a calculation that did not work for players who started in the summer of 2016.

You have my sympathies for your struggles with GW but after playing for an extended period of time it will get easier. This shard only gets worse with the recent catalyst of better rewards. There are maxed teams located well into the hundreds which is so far from any normal shard that it warrants a reshuffle. I have guild mates on this shard who rank top ten in arena and in the thousands here

Can we keep this thread on the topic of this shard and not other issues that you may face in this game. There are separate threads to discuss the challenge of GW or arena

This shard was created manually - with each player specifically chosen for it?? I find that hard to believe.

My GW comment wasn't about my own struggles, but the THOUSANDS of others who have issues with it. As players improve to deal with it, so do their generated opponents, therefore maintaining its difficulty - in a significant amount of instances. There would be much more activity in toon arena if people didn't quit their accounts and make new ones in order to become more competitive at the top end. Too bad you can't do that in ships, ay? That's tough luck. Top positions aren't just handed out like candy on Halloween. You want it, play harder.

Your shard is having a cry - boo hoo. Is that on topic enough? Those other threads are ignored - why not this one? What is so special about your shard that things have to be changed specifically for you?

Don't like it - why don't you all quit??
  • I've posted about this already but this shard has a massively biased allocation because unlike normal shards which fill up until they reach 12,000 players, to qualify for this shard, you had to be at the top level which for new starters meant you had to be active or dropped a lot of cash.

This doesn't just screw over whales, but modest spenders and especially FTPs who couldn't break the top 1,000 for months. If it was random I would probably to use your expression suck it up, it was not and was because the calculation did not work for players starting in July, August and September of 2016

• I don't intend to be impolite, but this is clearly an issue that doesn't affect you and is killing the game for me. To spend two hours on ships a day to hit number one is unsustainable

Regarding your question about crystals, I spend money on this game but if I quit out of frustration, I no longer spend crystals. Equally, many of these players would spend regardless of being on a competitive shard, redistributing these players would improve the quality of life for everyone in this start vintage. I maxed out my fleet a long time ago and see no need to spend another penny until there's an incentive to do so.

Similar to the issues people have with, say, GW that get responses from people that aren't affected. Two hours on GW to obtain resources is unsustainable. Again, the responses are the same - get over it, or quit.

You shall be missed by CG/EA, I'm sure (yes, I'm being sarcastic). If the players will spend regardless, there's no need to move them then, is there? Redistributing these players would NOT improve the quality of life for everyone else in the shards they might get moved to - a much higher number than them. Your fleet is maxed, so don't. Or do. Again, CG really cares about YOU.
  • I've posted about this already but this shard has a massively biased allocation because unlike normal shards which fill up until they reach 12,000 players, to qualify for this shard, you had to be at the top level which for new starters meant you had to be active or dropped a lot of cash.

This doesn't just screw over whales, but modest spenders and especially FTPs who couldn't break the top 1,000 for months. If it was random I would probably to use your expression suck it up, it was not and was because the calculation did not work for players starting in July, August and September of 2016

Blah blah blah

You're in this shard. Get over it.
  • So you're complaining about the calculation in GW which is basically what determined this shard on a permanent basis? This shard is the node 12 of GW while other players get a variety of difficulties. You say it's fine to spend two hours on ships to get the maxed rewards yet not fine for people in GW. You are contradicting yourself. I should get over it whilst others facing a similar plight have a genuine concern?
  • So you're complaining about the calculation in GW which is basically what determined this shard on a permanent basis? This shard is the node 12 of GW while other players get a variety of difficulties. You say it's fine to spend two hours on ships to get the maxed rewards yet not fine for people in GW. You are contradicting yourself. I should get over it whilst others facing a similar plight have a genuine concern?

No, I'm saying the typical response from the 1% about gw complaints is to get over it.
    In this case, the 1% is complaining - the response from everyone else (or maybe just me and thousands of silent others) is - get over it.
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    So you're complaining about the calculation in GW which is basically what determined this shard on a permanent basis? This shard is the node 12 of GW while other players get a variety of difficulties. You say it's fine to spend two hours on ships to get the maxed rewards yet not fine for people in GW. You are contradicting yourself. I should get over it whilst others facing a similar plight have a genuine concern?

No, I'm saying the typical response from the 1% about gw complaints is to get over it.
    In this case, the 1% is complaining - the response from everyone else (or maybe just me and thousands of silent others) is - get over it.

The thing is...the GW issue can be solved. Everyone goes through a phase of having a tough GW. I did too. But once you develop your roster enough, it’s a cakewalk (get resistance and you are set for life). That ship shard does not share this characteristic because everyone already owns maxed fleets and hundreds of people jump at the crystal sale to get the 7 star capitals...
  • WAI
  • slugbahr wrote: »
    WAI

May I ask you about your gg account and starting date? I would be interested to look at your roster.
  • Not all the 1% is the same. I genuinely feel for newer players given there is clearly a flaw with the formulation of the power calculation, especially regarding zetas and speed mods. But a similar calculation was used to create this horrible shard. We're on the same side here
  • Lutz
    37 posts Member
    What about the guys who hit #1 regulary? How much do they spend (time+shards)?
  • Usually burning one or two refreshes plus instant 50 to try and hold position. We have 50+ people on a shard chat too, so this is as efficient as it can be. Someone from my Arena Shard shared a photo of 7* Thrawns ranked at 250-300
  • Lutz
    37 posts Member
    Dropping far in the hundreds bracket isn't what I would consider special. So far I have read about that bracket only, that's why I was curious.
    Using no refreshes to get #1 is what I would consider an easy shard, using one refresh semi active and two + refreshes active.
    Can you tell how much one drops from #1 to get a better picture?
  • Have reports of people regularly dropping into the 80s and below, i.e. two refreshes. A bad day you're back past 100 and a good day you loiter at 50. The difference here is that these are fleets that are maxed together with their pilots. Equally, with so many climbing you often get knocked back too.

The sad fact is many have given up climbing, another person has just quit from our chat given overall time commitments. I contrast this with people at my Arena payout who don't even need a refresh. Just looking for some balance here
  • Mattos
    24 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    1 refresh if you are fully maxed 7* + g12 ! I need maybe 3 or 4 refresh every day 7stars ships g11. You can t say every other shards are that hard. My friends has started 1 week after me, and stay everyday top10 and dont even need a refresh. He still have 6* ships and g9 toon ...
    Post edited by Mattos on
  • Antares
    686 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Mattos wrote: »
    1 refresh if you are fully maxed 7* + g12 ! I need maybe 3 or 4 refresh every day 7stars ships g11. You can t say every other shards are that hard. My friends has started 1 week after me, and stay everyday top10 and dont even need a refresh. He still have 6* ships and g9 toon ...

I have people in my guild who starter earlier and take 1st place every day with a Rebel fleet...no TFP or FOTP in sight
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    "Ship shards were determined by start date, player level and arena power (similar to the calculation that drives GW nodes)"

source for this statement @AJRSuperstar . Honestly curious, because I've never seen this stated.
  • I’m in a pretty active shard, people drop from #1 to #70 overnight sometimes, but nothing like this. I really hope you get it fixed, but I fear nothing will happen unless there’s some kind of shard swap pack they start selling...

Good luck, it’s a tough spot to be in.
  • I'm not sure if the above was ever explicitly stated but there's a very hard cut-off on my Arena Shard (August start date) between those who were in the top spots at the time and others who were not. Several people on our shard came to the conclusion independently of each other.

Our guess is that these filters were quite loose, i.e. Level 80+ and 40,000+ power on the old calculation. This would be fine for older shards as so many players would hit these thresholds - however, no-one tested this for newer shards, creating our shard that is such an outlier.

I think the above was confirmed by a developer to someone else when they complained about the issue historically. The concentration of active players in our shard goes above conincidence or randomness, given almost everyone (and everyone on my shard) who ranked at the top of their shards as of ships launch is on this shard
  • It would be indeed very helpful to find the original developer response to this distribution. Then, I think it is pretty clear why it so so imbalanced.

An interesting statistic could be the average toon arena place in the top 100(200) of the ship shard. I bet the average is below 10 (or even lower)
  • Heard from a shardmate that the initial developer response was a change to a shard would be unprecedented. However, this shard is also unprecedented. While arena shard generation is effectively random and therefore balanced, a redistribution is needed here. With the addition of TB and with Arena taking more time too, you can't a shard that requires a multiple of time commitment required by other shards.

Had some very interesting conversations with shardmates on this issue. A large number have given up, despite spending significant sums at the start. Equally, there is no incentive to spend for players like myself who don't have several hours in the afternoon to place higher. Yesterday I started my climb and got knocked back twice because everyone has to start climbing early to hit them top spots. This sort of gameplay causes massive frustration, especially when I see guys in my Arena camped in the top ten
  • Had some very interesting conversations with shardmates on this issue. A large number have given up, despite spending significant sums at the start. Equally, there is no incentive to spend for players like myself who don't have several hours in the afternoon to place higher. Yesterday I started my climb and got knocked back twice because everyone has to start climbing early to hit them top spots. This sort of gameplay causes massive frustration, especially when I see guys in my Arena camped in the top ten

Exactly. I am also done spending until this is resolved. I was also on the verge of quitting the game due to this super-frustrating issue. At the very least, a developer could acknowledge and apologise for issue and tell us that it is technically not practical to fix (maybe it is indeed). Then we can move on. If it is fixable, please do something about it.

And in response to slugbahr above: This is clearly not WAI. How can a mechanic that forces paying customers to stop spending or quit be intended?
  • You mention me 24 hours after my last post to get me to stop responding??

There are tons of aspects of this game that provide extreme frustration for many others and take away the fun of the game for them. That's not fair for them either. What makes you so special? Seems like it's WAI to me, not that my opinion of it matters.

But you know what - all the big spenders on this shard of yours should get together and write a letter to CG, 'closing your wallets', until this travesty is undone! Show em who's boss! Show them you mean business!!