Last Resort Strategy for Thrawn 7* (UPDATE: Mythic Tier)

Aplus
138 posts Member
edited April 2018
UPDATED: Added Mythic Tier at the bottom

Hey all! Straight to the topic! I was unable to finish the thrawn 7* event for 3 days until I developed this weird strategy which I wanna share with you in case you are having difficulties like me.

My Characters:

Level 83 Hera (G8, 6,7,6, Omegaed)
Level 81 Kanan (G8, 6,6,5, Omegaed)
Level 85 Sabine (G8, 7,6,6,7)
Level 85 Ezra (G8, 7,7,7, Omegaed)
Level 82 Zeb (G8, Abilities Level 7,6,6,7)

Firstly, as you can see I have no chopper which most folks STRONGLY recommend due to his unique, which I also agree he is a better character in THIS event specifically. However, since I was stuck with Sabine I had to make do. The strategy I used was slightly different from most folks. (Note: I came to this conclusion after running for around FOUR HUNDRED 400 RUNS, so don't give up)

My Strategy:
Firstly, Go into the last phase with Kanan and Ezra TM close to 90%, doesn't matter which over which. An EVEN better option is to go into the last phase AFTER a COUNTER from your character. I had around 10-20 runs near the end specifically dedicated to reach this result by leaving the officer alive and let him shoot Ezra/ Zeb and let them kill him so as not to lose ANY tm on other characters too.

Secondly, For phase 4, a PERFECT combination is to let ONE Death Trooper AOE, and the other uses BASIC, BEST BE ON KANAN, with the BASIC not scoring Daze on KANAN, and Thrawn using his TM transfer and dispell on Stormtrooper so he DOUBLE taunts.

The rationale behind this is because you must use Ezra to dispel stormtrooper, and unless you have godlike mods for BOTH sabine and Zeb, it is likely that only one can take a turn before one of the DT strikes again. My Zeb and Sabine had around 180 speed and 206-ish speed and more often than not I can only STAGGER ONE DT. The reason why it's best the basic be on KANAN is because with his lowrted health, we want to be one shotted by fracture so that he revives with backup plan UNFRACTURED, so he can use defense up later on to keep zeb alive

HOWEVER, apparently the AOE of DT hits really WEAK. So what you wanna do is this: Stagger the DT which used his AOE, and leave the DT that used his BASIC alone FOR NOW. The DT which used his basic on Round 1 will use his AOE in round 2, and even with the Buff it only hurts for like 1000-ish hp. Quickly Stagger the First DT and kill him off, and use Hera/ Ezra's Assist to Stun the Storm trooper to prevent him from Taunting. About this time, Thrawn should start using his Fracture, so remember to have Kanan Taunting. BUT bear in mind KANAN must LIVE for the counter to act, so use Hera to put a backup plan on him. IF your Kanan DOES survive, AND does not die to subsequent attacks, use Zeb to put defense up on Kanan to make him live. MAKE sure ZEB does NOT have Daze at this moment AND is suffering from HEALTH IMMUNITY, so that Zeb can gain retribution and counter all attacks to inflict DAZE. Now, quickly dispatch the SECOND DT.

Thirdly, proceed to kill the Stormtrooper. OBSERVE the tm on stormtropper. If he has less than 30%, Hera call Sabine to assist if possible. If he is close to 100%, Hera calls Ezra, since it's more likely to do more damage to Stormtrooper. Then proceed to kill the healer with lower health using Sabine and Ezra.

By then you should have all 5 Characters ALIVE, although NOT well. My Kanan, Zeb were at around 20% hp, with Ezra and Sabine full health but 0 protection. Hera should be at least 50%. Thrawn would proceed to FRACTURE again, and DO NOT let him fracture Zeb. If he fractures ZEB/ KANAN, which at our gear level ZEB/ KANAN would most likely DIE immediately, proceed to RESTART the battle. If Kanan revives, or managed to survive, continue. If Thrawn fractures EZRA/ HERA, which is GREAT, CONTINUE.

So with only four characters left, crucially Zeb/ Kanan, do EVERYTHING you can to keep Zeb and Kanan alive. Use Hera to call assist on Sabine/ Ezra (whichever is alive) or Ezra to call Sabine to nuke the Remaining Healers down. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to attack thrawn. I have had around 5 runs where I had a healer and thrawn left and I decided to go after thrawn and I ended up paying for it with all 4 characters dead.

After you have killed the healers, Call assists on ZEB EVERYTIME until you managed to stun Thrawn. REMEMBER, on HERA's turn (if still alive), if assist is on COOLDOWN, and you DO NOT have a debuff on Thrawn, use her BASIC to inflict EXPOSE. This can ALSO provide a stun opportunity for Zeb. Proceed to stun Thrawn and pray to RNGness after all the above that you DO land a stun. For myself, my Zeb was ALL potency mods with protection primary stat, so his potency is around 70%.

Hope you all get Thrawn 7*.

Update (19/1/2018): I received a MASSIVE influx of inbox messages asking me for a simplified version from alot of you fellow jedi and sith who are non-English speakers.

Step 1: Last wave, Kanan and Ezra Turn meter (TM) 90%, Finish with a counter attack.

Step 2: One Deathtrooper AOE on you, One Deathtrooper shoots your Kanan, no daze, thrawn swap TM with Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper taunts.

Step 3: Kill stormtrooper, <30% TM, Call Sabine Assist. >30% TM, Call Ezra Assist.

Step 4: All your characters alive, only thrawn left. Thrawn fractures, Kanan/ Zeb/ must live.

Step 5: Call Assist on Zeb everytime, Stun thrawn and take him out as fast as possible. Buff your potency on Zeb and make him stun and daze thrawn non-stop.

Mythic Tier:

Intro: Mythic tier is a totally different game. Now your enemy has become your lead, and frankly, thrawn lead is close to useless. As we all know tenacity(do read up tenacity and potency guides if you are unsure how they work. There are alot of detailed guides on this topic by experience players) is pretty much meh in this game (let’s assume base 15%, since the enemy potency in mythic seems pretty high that stagger are landing left and right).

1. Shoretrooper shoretrooper shoretrooper.
Cant emphasize enough about shoretrooper. His pretaunt is excellent for soaking up the first several hits from phoenix, as well as taking ezra’s special which grants ezra 75% tm normally when hitting an emey with no buff. With shoretrooper, you deny him of several turns more.

2. REMEMBER their uniques

If you have read up this guide for the first time, you will know that the uniques of phoenix is what ties them together. The most significant ones in this challenge is Kanan(grants counter), Ezra(increasing offense), Sabine(increasing crit damage).

However, the health and protection on Kanan and Zeb is INSANE. A 20% health of zeb took away around 21k damage. That adds up to close to 110k of health! I DO NOT recommend targetting kanan. Focus on SABINE and EZRA. They are the major damage dealers.

3. Emperor Palpatine

The key to the battle is none other than the EP. His unique takes away 20% health out of the enemy. By just SURVIVING, he is doing more damage than all your allies. Coupled with the fact that their phoenix takes so many turns before you actually take one, ezra is normally at 40% or less when you actually take one! Just use shoretrooper to keep palpatine alive, as well as using the mass stun.

4. RECOMMENDED SETUP

Thrawn (L), EP, Shoretrooper, Vader, Deathtrooper/ Tarkin

Priority: Ezra > Sabine > Hera > Kanan > Zeb=Chopper.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide an accurate Minimum requirement for the event since most of my squad is G11/12, but I do believe a G11 team with no zetas is sufficient with a good amount of protection.

My setup: Thrawn (Level 85, G12, zeta Fracture)
Shoretrooper (Level 85, Gear 10)
Emperor Palpatine (Level 85, G12, Zeta on lead, Irrelevant in the challenge)
Vader (Level 85, G12, Zeta on Lead and Unique)
Tarkin (Level 85, G11, Zeta on unique)

Post edited by Aplus on

Replies

• Aplus
    138 posts Member
    P.S: IF you DO managed to stagger BOTH DTs initially, Focus on killing ONE first, although in my experience if you DID managed to stagger both DTs, other stuff don't really line up perfectly and are likely to mess up.
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Dude omg THANK YOU SO MUCH. Just completed 7* event with this exact squad and strategy! I probably tried 25 times and then decided to check the forums. You are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))))))))))))))))))) I was literally shaking with fear and excitement as Ezra, Sabine, and Zeb wittled down Thrawn, 3v1. Thank you again!
  • I appreciate that you are trying to help, but your strategy is heavily counting on RnG.

However I will try again and see how it goes and let you know how many tries it took me.

Thanks.
  • WOW, I couldn't express this myself but I was thinking the exact same strategy myself because I had l80 phoenix without chopper but I omega'd everything on them and placed my best mods on them. I lost Zeb so it was 4v1 (Thrawn). Then I lost Sabine and had to keep backup planning Kanan while kept me from losing Ezra and Hera long enough to kill Thrawn. Great info tho! Gonna share this with my guild and see if this helps them!
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Jenarou wrote: »
    I appreciate that you are trying to help, but your strategy is heavily counting on RnG.

Well he did say "last resort."
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • This is basically my strategy but with chopper instead of Sabine. It is easier with him but not because of his unique. But because both him and Ezra can dispel the stormtrooper. Then I focus on death troopers, elite healer troopers (whatever you actually call them), then thrawn himself, then I finish the stormtrooper last. Making sure to rebuff whenever and restore protection as much as possible. Keep in mind that the death troopers can cancel out heras backup plan so don't waste that ability while they're still alive.
  • Jenarou wrote: »
    I appreciate that you are trying to help, but your strategy is heavily counting on RnG.

However I will try again and see how it goes and let you know how many tries it took me.

Thanks.

Literally the entire fight will be RNG dependant unless you have everyone at gear 10 and fully omegad or even zetad
  • Thank you for this. I was afraid that there was no way I could get Thrawn to 7*. Now I know I can with sabine, and in the given time restraint too. The RNG is very heavily relied on, but if I can manage to spend a couple hours and get all the numbers to align right, I'll get him. We've got 3 days. We can do this!
    Ally code: 357613281
    swgoh.gg: https://swgoh.gg/u/lordterminus/
  • Lord_Massacus
    183 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    What Mods did you use? @Aplus
  • Nice guide @Aplus ! Glad to see guild members being awesome. Also, congrats on Thrawn!
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    SwiftMooky wrote: »
    Dude omg THANK YOU SO MUCH. Just completed 7* event with this exact squad and strategy! I probably tried 25 times and then decided to check the forums. You are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))))))))))))))))))) I was literally shaking with fear and excitement as Ezra, Sabine, and Zeb wittled down Thrawn, 3v1. Thank you again!
    OPAUHTL wrote: »
    WOW, I couldn't express this myself but I was thinking the exact same strategy myself because I had l80 phoenix without chopper but I omega'd everything on them and placed my best mods on them. I lost Zeb so it was 4v1 (Thrawn). Then I lost Sabine and had to keep backup planning Kanan while kept me from losing Ezra and Hera long enough to kill Thrawn. Great info tho! Gonna share this with my guild and see if this helps them!

No problem glad to help!
    Weaver9000 wrote: »
    Nice guide @Aplus ! Glad to see guild members being awesome. Also, congrats on Thrawn!

Thanks Weaver!

• Aplus
    138 posts Member
    What Mods did you use? @Aplus

As I don't have my jawas leveled up, I couldn't even get past the crit dmg mods challenge tier 2 which I believed would have been invaluable for Ezra :(

However, for my case, I made do with:

Kanan: All protection/Defense mods (Health Sets) except for Arrow which I used speed to catch up with Ezra.

Sabine: All crit chance mods with triangle critical dmg and Offense cross

Hera: Really weird combo. I tried various Crit chance mods to up her damage but she just doesnt seem to hit hard, and full protection makes her hit like kanan, while I really want her to land her expose too. In the end, I settled with A set of POTENCY mods, a set of HEALTH mods, and a set of CRIT chance mods. SPEED arrow, PROTECTION triangle, POTENCY Cross.

Ezra: All CRIT chance mods, OFFENSE cross, CRIT damage triangle, speed up to around ~210

Zeb: I feel like I spent around half a million on modding Zeb LOL. In the end, 3 SETS of potency mods, with arrow being protection, triangle being protection, circle being health, diamond defense, multiplier potency.
  • I can confirm this strategy works, I just got my 7* Thrawn after 30-33 tries.

I was luck enough that Ezra - Hera - Kanan took turns on this order and I took fully control on the fight after that,

Hera and Ezra finished the fight for me after reviving Zeb twice to keep stunning Thrawn.

Many Thanks for keeping me trying after giving up.
  • It worked it started off badly but I try this General idea and it worked I got my thrawn and I'm happy
  • Is anyone using a lower level team than OP’s and getting him? I’ve got all at level 80 with mk 5 health mods (using secondary bonuses), all mods at level 9 or higher, and all omega abilities
  • I don't have any omegas on my Phoenix squad, but I have Hera, Kanan, Zeb, Ezra and Sabine. All are 7 star, level 85, G8. I get smoked in the final battle. I have enough to get 2 omegas. Would it help? Which should I choose specifically to get thrawn?
  • @Seane Ezra and Kanan’s uniques are quite useful...other than that I’m no help, I have omegas at level 80 and all sorts of good mods and I still can’t get him either...can’t even kill one troop on phase 4.
  • This strategy helped a lot!!! I was getting nowhere but 3 or 4 runs of the above and I'm done!!! I fid bump Sabine up to gear 9 though and omegad her armour break. I didn't notice that's got a cooldown of 2 so definitely useful hitting everyone with that as you focus on them. Didn't stun thrawn, but had enough damage with sabine and ezra between themand a bit of rng that he didn't fracture as much
  • this needs to be pinned
  • Darth_Walker85
    5 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I just beat it with

What I did was using gaming-fans.com to find out which Mods for who. Used SWGOH to find the best mods from heroes.
    And Wupti I managed to finally beat it.
    What I found out was it is VERY important to use Sabines Demolish Which Stagger them for 2 turns and Expose target enemy for 2 turns. this helped a lot Zeb to Stun Thrawn and made me go more rounds without killing my heroes.
    Secondly Heras Backup Plan saved my Sabine 2-3 to revive from the death.
    This is how the stats was on my heroes, using gaming-fans mod guides.
    Ezra G11 Maxed out Zeta 20225/33941 Speed 187
    Sabine G9 Maxed out NO Zeta 15848/16914 Speed 165
    Zeb G8 Maxed out NO Zeta 19562/16852 Speed 159
    Kenan G8 Maxed out NO Zeta 21623/19623 Speed 102
    Hera G8 Maxed out NO Zeta 15285/13673 Speed 148
  • ChrisSkywalker
    553 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    After 13 attempts I was about to give up on this. Then I read aplus strategy and finally beat it 3 stars. Thank you so much aplus! Man I’m still shaking from that event... such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment I have. I used g9 Hera speed 168/ g8 kanaan speed 127/ g9 Ezra speed 179/ g9 chopper speed 198/ g8 zeb speed 148 potency 62% all omegas no zetas all lv 85. This event is POSSIBLE don’t give up!
  • The event is not aprochable by players lower than level 80. It is not a possibillity to complete it even with all gear that you can aquire and with a full set of 7* characters. Nobody wants to wait for another 3+ months so you can stress by it again.
    Make the event more aprochable for new players please.
  • My squad is all g8. I have no zeta. All level 83. I put on my best mods and after 16 times, won. Lost zeb only. Always remove the taunt. Kill DT first then I did taunter and both commanders Then Thrawn. Always called zeb to assist. Good luck, it can be done in g8 no zeta
  • After 13 attempts I was about to give up on this. Then I read aplus strategy and finally beat it 3 stars. Thank you so much aplus! Man I’m still shaking from that event... such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment I have. I used g9 Hera speed 168/ g8 kanaan speed 127/ g9 Ezra speed 179/ g9 chopper speed 198/ g8 zeb speed 148 potency 62% all omegas no zetas all lv 85. This event is POSSIBLE don’t give up!

You’re welcome :wink: Glad you could make it man!
  • This is a great strategy. Finally got my thrawn to 7* as well. Couple things I would add: Give as much potency and speed as possible to all phoenix except kanan if you're using sabine instead of chopper. Also, try and get Ezra to g11. He's the most important of all of them because of flourish. Use ezra's watch and learn ability with hera, and hera's call to assist on ezra. Use stagger attacks on GAT any time possible. Try not to taunt, its almost a certain death for kanan unless you're also using chopper (focused fire doesn't end well). Good luck!!
  • This strategy helped but holy hell you need perfect RNG. Even with gear 10 Ezra, Gear 9 Sabine and Hera, Gear 8 Zeb and Kanan it took me 20-30 tries. Getting Ezra to 227 speed and Sabine to 202 helped a lot. The attempt that finally dropped Thrawn I had him give tm to taunting tank and I had Ezra first turn to dispel. They killed Kanan before first DT was gone but using Hera to call Ezra to assist each time was a big help. I'm really glad I didn't have to waste any more resources on a squad I'll never use again.
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    Petey wrote: »
    This strategy helped but holy hell you need perfect RNG. Even with gear 10 Ezra, Gear 9 Sabine and Hera, Gear 8 Zeb and Kanan it took me 20-30 tries. Getting Ezra to 227 speed and Sabine to 202 helped a lot. The attempt that finally dropped Thrawn I had him give tm to taunting tank and I had Ezra first turn to dispel. They killed Kanan before first DT was gone but using Hera to call Ezra to assist each time was a big help. I'm really glad I didn't have to waste any more resources on a squad I'll never use again.

Glad to help! And yes, I share the same sentiment towards phoenix, but at least they’re good for stalling in TBs and completing TW missions!
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    Updated with Mythic Tier Guide.