Distorted Ship Shard

Replies

• tj5270
    177 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    slugbahr wrote: »
    WAI

These guys are being nice... you clearly are upset that attention is being provided somewhere else then your GW, which is why you continuously bring it up.

In short, stop being a kitten hugger and provide something constructive, or go to a topic about GW. this is not a BOO HOO GW topic.

Carry on.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • slugbahr
    365 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    tj5270 wrote: »
    WAI

These guys are being nice... you clearly are upset that attention is being provided somewhere else then your GW, which is why you continuously bring it up.

In short, stop being a kitten hugger and provide something constructive, or go to a topic about GW. this is not a BOO HOO GW topic.

Carry on.

Oh, that's sweet. Clear as mud. Check your comprehension. I used it as a general example. Other topics get boo hooed, so does this one.

In short, this shard is WAI, just like every other aspect of this game (apparently).

Just because you share your 'problems' doesn't mean the only responses will be 'constructive' 'solutions'.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • tj5270
    177 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    WAI

In short, stop being a **** and provide something constructive, or go to a topic about GW. this is not a BOO HOO GW topic.

Carry on.

Oh, that's sweet. Clear as mud. Check your comprehension. I used it as a general example. Other topics get boo hooed, so does this one.

In short, this shard is WAI, just like every other aspect of this game (apparently).

Just because you share your 'problems' doesn't mean the only responses will be 'constructive' 'solutions'.

And yet why be the problem? Because something you wrote didn’t get the attention it deserved, or got the “boo boo” treatment, you decide you’ll turn around and be that person.

It sounds more like you have something that you would hope would get a fix in this game. Why not do something “constructive” and do what @AJRSuperstar decided to do. He brought information to support his claims. Nothing might get fixed, but the devs can see something that is wrong and maybe that prevents a future situation from happening.

TL:DR you’re being a fancy kitten.

Carry on.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • It's mind boggling how tough this shard is. And I'm not saying this to complain. But the level of competition between ranks 100-500 is crazy. Any random combination of 5 squads from those ranks could easily be top 10 in most other ship shards. It would be less irksome if I could decide my own payout time, instead of payout being at a time when i'm having dinner with the fam or giving the baby a bath.
  • Lets just say u get spread out - but to where?

1) To a relatively newer shard? You will wreck them. The tunas and baby whales will cry, and they will most likely quit - there goes a growing source of income. Meanwhile, you have it easy, taking 1st without spending on a refresh. You get 500-900 free arena crystals a day and decide you can just save up and stop buying crystals. There goes another revenue stream.

2) To a mature shard, one of those with all the "played-since-day-1" players. The ones who remain are usually tunas, whales and krakens. These are the guys who have been buying the 21-day packs and maybe jumping on the sales as and when, but not shelling out on crystals as if they were the price of tap water. Those that haven't, well just spent time on the game. Move you guys there and maybe you'll just have trouble with the couple of krakens. Meanwhile, the whales and tunas who have been loyal supporters quit because they have been betrayed. But of course, you still benefit. You now get top 5 everyday without using a refresh, earning 500-900 arena crystals a day and lose the need to buy crystals.

3) Split you guys up into a few smaller shards. It's more balanced now, less active, all the players if your shard are happy, other shards aren't affected so they don't care. Sure, but it sounds like a solution from Utopia. Your shards now collectively earn more free crystals, and Yoda says "if free, buy, you shall not". CG loses some cash.

In short, nope, I'm pretty sure nothing is gonna happen. Furthermore, if they give in, this will eventually cascade into a slippery slope with all other shards making requests and rebelling, and you should know that rebellions can be hard to quell.
  • @ Eddie. The reality is there appears to be a large number of relatively inactive ship shards out there. Dispersing some of the players from this shard to less active shards seems a fair solution. Ten to twenty active players from this shard going to another shard does not disturb the balance. If this was repeated a number of times then it would greatly defuse the problems within this shard

Equally, this shard was created because the formula worked for every start date except summer 2016 starters, which resulted in this monstrosity. No other shards comes close to this in terms of GP or general activity. This is clearly the exception and not the rule.

CG will lose cash in the long term anyway, players are quitting because spending two hours a day on this shard is not sustainable.

There's a sensible solution to this shard - keeping the status quo is simply ignoring what is a massive quality of Life issue for thousands of active players
  • There are 20 crystal payout spots, so moving 20 of u over is arguably "disturbing the balance". I probably wont' be affected since I'm in a quiet timezone, but I'm pretty sure the bulk of US and EU players in other shards won't be happy at the thought of that.
  • AJRSuperstar
    92 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Not really, if players are getting to the top three without any completion at all then a bit of healthy competition os not going to disturb the balance. It's like asking everyone else to walk an extra yard a day rather than everyone on my shard having to do an extra mile. Ultimately, if they have checked the mechanism allocation properly, we would already be dispersed amongst other shards anyway.
  • Maybe it's time for a poem:

Therr once was a ship shard of doom,
    That filled everyone on it with gloom,
    It need to be amended,
    Because it isn't working as intended,
    Hopefully the developers address it soon...
  • Han_Brolo81
    518 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    So I was inactive when ships were calculated and got placed into an easy shard. I'd absolutely hate it if a bunch of whales got dropped into my shard. I'd probably go so far as to demand a full refund from Apple.

That being said, I can see the frustration stemming from this shard. I think the best solution would just be to break that shard into multiple shards, keeping the competitives and the whales with competitives and whales, while still allowing the players that have found success to continue doing so.
  • slugbahr
    365 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    WAI

Carry on.

And yet why be the problem? Because something you wrote didn’t get the attention it deserved, or got the “boo boo” treatment, you decide you’ll turn around and be that person.

It sounds more like you have something that you would hope would get a fix in this game. Why not do something “constructive” and do what @AJRSuperstar decided to do. He brought information to support his claims. Nothing might get fixed, but the devs can see something that is wrong and maybe that prevents a future situation from happening.

TL:DR you’re being a fancy kitten.

Carry on.

That's twice you've called me a kitten. I haven't used language like that in this thread at all.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Back on subject, I spent over two hours climbing yesterday to the top spots in the shard. Won 13/15 battles in the process (one battle timed out at the end as was trying to multitask and the other I couldn't get a target lock).

I woke up at 6am already in the 50s with Asia and European payouts to go again before mine. If this was a one-off it would almost be manageable - but every day?

This shard was miserable before they changed the rewards but now is insufferable. There are people dropping from the top 100 to above 300 overnight too, so hardly an issue limited to the top of the shard.

There are many light spenders on my Arena Shard who feel particularly aggrieved about this, especially when others on the same shard seem to be maxing their crystal payouts on different shards with little effort.

Given this imbalance, I urge the developers to look at this. Some people above have provided their opinions, as have I. I feel there are a large number of efficient solutions here to ensure the entire community can continue to enjoy this game - maintaining th status quo is not one of them.

• This is an extreme situation for sure. Many of my guildmates started around the same time I did(dec/jan’17) none of us share a fleet shard. Myself and one other guildmate have extremely competitive(though not this bad) shards while the rest have it way easier.

All of ours have gotten tougher with the intro of crystals. With no mods, it’s even harder to hold rank so I feel the pain That being said, those on that shard that are posting here now should just stick with it. I’m sure more and more will drop out and it will simmer down a bit.

Small comfort, but none of us got crystals from ships ever so not getting them now isn’t the end of the world, but 2 extra hours of time with raids/TB/GW....that is bad. I agree with everyone who said nothing can/will be done for you. .
  • But the fact remains that when mistakes have been made (e.g. normal tank raid, mods, etc.) they have been rectified. The only difference here is that the error only affected several thousand players as opposed to the wider player base.

Without wishing to be controversial, they effectively refunded a number of players who purchased Commander Han Solo shards when the goal posts were moved. They didn't have to do this, but it was clearly the right thing to do (this didn't affect me).

This situation has been simmering for almost a year now. The problem I believe is that unlike any normal shard, if one or two hundred of the current top players quit, you'd still have an issue as there is just so much depth here.
  • Ignoring my previous posts, what is the mistake that has been made here?
    Was this shard 'created' after everyone's fleet was built? IE the playing/purchasing habits of everyone, with regards to ships arena, was observed, and it was then decided to move you all onto this shard?
    For example, there could be 100 squad arena whales in my ship shard (I'm making this part up), but only 10 ever gave a rats about ships. It was the choice of 10 to be competitive, and the choice of 90 to not be.
    If everyone was placed in your shard the same way, that's just bad luck that so many are competitive.
  • RNG

WAI

Almost a year, and nothing's changed. Do you really think it will now? Especially for one shard?? That'd be setting a precedent they wouldn't want to.
    The only compelling argument you can make to them is with your wallets. In which case.....
  • To summarise the above
    - There was a calculation in place to try and balance shards
    - The main filters were start date, level and arena power
    - This worked for most mature shards as you'd have a high percentage of players at level 80+ and with > 40k of arena power (in the old calculation)
    - However, for newer shards, i.e. Summer 2016 you would need to either spend or be very active to hit the top threshold
    - This probably only affected one or two shards (hence the oversight) because the above calculation worked for everyone but this small group
  • It's the same sort of oversight that let guys swap in and out of guilds during raids or change their defence in the first tournament. The problem here is that shards are deemed to be sacred whereas the above are iterations
  • It is not RNG. It was a clear oversight
  • Magulama
    125 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    @slugbahr

This shard was not created via RNG, but via inappropriate algorithm, which resulted in a single shard so completely out of the ordinary compared to every single other shard within the game it is an issue that needs to
    and certainly should be addressed.
    Furthermore I don't quite understand why you, out of your free time argue so vehemently against something which does it effect you in the slightest.
  • Maybe RNG is the wrong term. How about outlier?
    The algorithm worked to generate shards with a fair balance, but failed in your case. Semantics.
    Regardless, the devs never promised fairness or balance regarding any aspect of this game.
    In this instance, it is this shard which has received the short end of the stick. Others have in other ways. They didn't get special treatment, neither should these guys.
    Unless you're advocating for others and their issues, as well as your own (fat chance of that!)

Break this shard up and where do the players go? Some into my shard? That would effect me.
    Also, I said my piece a couple days ago, and this is the second successive day that someone has tagged me (not in a positive way).
    So blame yourselves for my further contributions.
  • Slug, who else has received the short end of the stick? Don't say GW because that is an algorithm that affects every player equally. (And while I don't mind if GW gets reworked, the people who can't complete it brought it upon themselves by powering up a single team rather than a broader roster.) I don't know of any other issue that wasn't an outright bug that screwed over a group of players like this.
  • Not asking for special treatment, just equivalence with everyone else. For someone who came into this thread as a champion of struggling players, you have continuously contradicted yourself and shown yourself in the last post to be selfish too. You clearly have a chip on your shoulder about spenders in this game and the reason people continue to call you out are your antagonistic, ill thought out arguments.

When you seek out a thread to vent, don't be surprised when people who are deeply affected by the issue are hostile to your "suck it up" comments
  • If the shard were to broken up, the players would be distributed amongst all other shards, which should have happened in the first place!
    We do not request "special treatment" we would like something to be amended which did not work as intended...
  • I only wish we could get a dev response on this. Even a clear “sorry folks, nothing can be done” would help.
  • For all these players requesting distribution, where would you propose you be placed on other servers when you start your climb?

Some servers are harder/more competitive than others, that's life. Let me get my tiny violin out...
    ΔCŁBØSØX | Discord: aclbosox#8982
  • Redistribution is one solution - particularly to other shards of the same vintage as players in this shard. The calculation should have done this at the start anyway. Some servers are harder / easier everyone gets that. This server is by far the hardest because of an oversight - that's the difference. More than happy to start at 12,000 on yours!
  • I too wouldn't mind starting from the bottom. However I was told they would only move us if there was a technical issue wrong. And I'm guessing by the lack of responses they don't want to admit to anything.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Antares wrote: »
    I only wish we could get a dev response on this. Even a clear “sorry folks, nothing can be done” would help.

I guess they have not said that directly about ships, but they have stated multiple times they can't change leader boards (shards) for squad arena, i would think fleet would fall into the same category.