CG_Conduit podcast about new Nightsisters!

CG_RyDiggs
536 posts SWGOH Dev Team
edited October 2017
Hello Holotable heroes!

CG_Conduit, a character designer here at Capital Games had a great discussion about Nightsisters rework. Check it out here!

Galactict War Report ep 79
Development Manager for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes

Replies

• Love it! Great to hear designer's thoughts and philosophies. Also fun to hear what they tried and experimented with.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Good podcast. Love it when the designers share their thoughts.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    And now give use Grievous rework!

+1,000,000
  • Onark
    104 posts Member
    I love these podcasts and I'm especially interested in toon design, swgoh does a really good job compared to most games out there.

I CRINGED at some missed opportunities to get more insight. I know they can't answer everything and I don't know how things were edited so I'm making assumptions here. However, I wanted to share some feedback for future chats.

Matt talked about them wanting to make NS have some impact on arena...

How did they think about the NS rework compared to the ewok rework?
    I know they want us to figure out team compositions, and we do as well, but what are some cool ways they see NS interacting with other teams as allies or enemies?

Matt mentioned wanting to be thematic with NS zombie...

How do they think about theme as a factor for designing toons?
    What are other important factors when they decide how to design or balance toons?

There are so many things that they can break and shift when reworking/introducing new toons, do they have any hard rules about things they don't like to touch or things that are sacred?

Matt said he enjoys designing unnamed toons...

What does he enjoy about working on those toons?
    What makes the team decide that unnamed toons should be released with a faction rework/pass vs more named toons? Or how do they see the presence of unnamed toons in the swgoh universe?

There were a few times Matt was cut off as well and, given how limited his time is, I was left wondering what else he might have shared. Most of these example questions were touched on lightly or off hand, I would just like to hear them covered more intentionally.

I have a ton more questions but this should give you an idea of where my head is at. Anyway, thank you for spending time creating podcasts and bringing us insight from behind the scenes.
  • Love hearing the devs thoughts on the podcasts, even the small bits of info are fascinating to hear, especially in regards to the thought process behind character design decisions. Any plans to go on the Shattered Order Podcast in future or is it exclusively GWR?
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Cool podcast. So when is the daily crystal booster (or some updated version) pack coming back?

Don't deviate too much please if it comes back. Betcha sales on the mod pack were sweet when it was reintroduced, but players realized it got nerfed, now nobody's buying and it's a permanent fixture dangling in the store. Just sayin.

I'll just pretend you guys are secretly working on some awesome thing to replace the daily booster that is still a sweet deal. :#

Thank you.
  • Sorry but like ewoks those nightsisters are a fail they are are low priority and should be treated as such, I commend you guys for trying to release new Toons but seriously there are so many other primary lead characters that are needed why do you guys keep zigging when it's time is zag and putting those secondary toons out. And you guys have to notice that nobody is using them or buying those packs other than what you forced thrm to by making it necessary to have them in order to achieve unlocking good ones I can tell they are a team of you who are really stubborn but really have pull and everybody else just nods they head yes even though they know it is a terrible idea and the community is constantly telling you this is not what they want they told you they want more Dark Side So You released night sisters that makes no sense at all that is just something that you personally want to do and like to do so let's just call it as it is you have the ability to do that so I hear you on that one but don't sugar coat it and act like it is what the community wants because clearly it is not true if you read the community boards, I mean seriously stop please
  • wrekincruw wrote: »
    Sorry but like ewoks those nightsisters are a fail they are are low priority and should be treated as such, I commend you guys for trying to release new Toons but seriously there are so many other primary lead characters that are needed why do you guys keep zigging when it's time is zag and putting those secondary toons out. And you guys have to notice that nobody is using them or buying those packs other than what you forced thrm to by making it necessary to have them in order to achieve unlocking good ones I can tell they are a team of you who are really stubborn but really have pull and everybody else just nods they head yes even though they know it is a terrible idea and the community is constantly telling you this is not what they want they told you they want more Dark Side So You released night sisters that makes no sense at all that is just something that you personally want to do and like to do so let's just call it as it is you have the ability to do that so I hear you on that one but don't sugar coat it and act like it is what the community wants because clearly it is not true if you read the community boards, I mean seriously stop please

I love them. I've never been more excited to be playing this game. Don't assume to speak for everyone.
  • wrekincruw
    315 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Of course I am excited to be playing the game also I like this game the graphics the overall story it is good but it seems that the most needed and anticipated things are neglected for things that we can go without for the time being I understand they have to make it fun for themselves also and develop characters but I mean we are getting saturated with unnecessary toons, and what I'm saying is yes people will like nightsters but if you look at the majority of characters that people are asking for you, you will not see nightsisters on the list at all you do not see Ewoks on the list at all, you also not see heaps upon heaps of rebels, yes you enjoy them since you gave but would you have prefer or do you think those are primary characters they are not and no I do not speak for you friend but you are the vast minority
  • Teague wrote: »
    wrekincruw wrote: »
    Sorry but like ewoks those nightsisters are a fail they are are low priority and should be treated as such, I commend you guys for trying to release new Toons but seriously there are so many other primary lead characters that are needed why do you guys keep zigging when it's time is zag and putting those secondary toons out. And you guys have to notice that nobody is using them or buying those packs other than what you forced thrm to by making it necessary to have them in order to achieve unlocking good ones I can tell they are a team of you who are really stubborn but really have pull and everybody else just nods they head yes even though they know it is a terrible idea and the community is constantly telling you this is not what they want they told you they want more Dark Side So You released night sisters that makes no sense at all that is just something that you personally want to do and like to do so let's just call it as it is you have the ability to do that so I hear you on that one but don't sugar coat it and act like it is what the community wants because clearly it is not true if you read the community boards, I mean seriously stop please

I love them. I've never been more excited to be playing this game. Don't assume to speak for everyone.

Yep. I can't remember being this excited to develop characters. I'm thrilled to try these NS out.

Although it's actually kind of funny. I absolutely love Star Wars, but I don't really like the original trilogy main characters. Luke might be my least favorite characters. I don't like Han much more. The side stories about some of the lesser known characters are so much better than the main movie timeline IMO.
  • Teague wrote: »
    wrekincruw wrote: »

Yep. I can't remember being this excited to develop characters. I'm thrilled to try these NS out.

Although it's actually kind of funny. I absolutely love Star Wars, but I don't really like the original trilogy main characters. Luke might be my least favorite characters. I don't like Han much more. The side stories about some of the lesser known characters are so much better than the main movie timeline IMO.

Yes I can see now the logic used, so that paints a clear picture as to why less popularized characters are released in this way, it actually makes me just want to roll with it now that I know this, but just a observation, building star wars universe around support characters as opposed to the lead characters expanding out is like building a universe around a black hole, you need lead characters as a foundation and center just like the sun, cheers