Need advice for my stagnant arena squad

So, I'm always a few metas behind, but this is what I'm running now: Wedge (L, g11), Biggs (g11), StHan (g11), EP (g9), DN (5*, g9).

I'm usually hanging between #200–150, but that's sort of my wall (April 2016 shard). My team can beat non-Maul sith teams pretty easily (StHan makes Dooku my friend) but struggles against much else. EP is squishy and I know he's pretty obsolete, but the mass stun helps a lot, and shock helps against taunters and chaze. DN is a bit slow, but the cooldown increase is handy, and annihilate helps with Zavage or other toons I have trouble taking down normally.

Unfortunately, I don't have CLS, Raid Han, GK, Zarriss, or Thrawn. (I will soon have 7* R2, and can get him to g10 right after that.) This is the rest of my roster: https://swgoh.gg/u/gufu21/collection/ . I have no zeta'd characters now, but I have one to give.

Any advice? What kind of options do I have? Or is this pretty much an insurmountable wall unless I have one of those top legendary/raid toons? (I'd thought about AA lead rebels, which CLS could slot into eventually. Do I have any hope of making that work?)

Thanks much in advance!

Replies

• Well, I wouldn't wait for R2 to get to 7* to put him in... probably get him high geared as you can then replace EP. Wedge is completely off the meta lead report now, so if you're gonna stick with him, best get as many rebels as you can with him. Wedge, Biggs, R2, ST Han, and Lando would be nice, but that is just a quick thought.

Wedge, Biggs, Cassian, K2, and R2 would be fun, too but you're gonna need some zetas very soon or those with them will produce too many obstacles to get into the top 100.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Hello there Gufu21,

Since I started playing, I built a Rebel Team pretty much with a similar team that you have. What has help me going a few ranks up is using a Wedge (L) Team, so you should keep Wedge as a Leader for now.

I would suggest you save the Zeta for R2 "Number Crunch". it has help me stay in the ~50 spot.

Unfortunately I can no see your collection for now but you can try and go for the following team comp:

Wedge (L)
    Biggs
    R2
    ST Han
    Lando

The above Team is pretty easy to obtain and should help you jump into the next stage of arena.

In the future try getting Chaze the synergy between those two is amazing and should help even more than ST han or Lando.

Best of lucks.
  • Thanks for your responses!

What do you think about Ackbar lead? Could Leia or Old Ben have a role?

@Speedokillz , how well do Cassian and K2 work in arena? Have you had experience with those?
  • I used to use a full R1 team to stay #1, but those days are passed due to lack of total damage output. But K2 provides the taunt while Cassian has respectable damage with plenty of debuffs, but just not super high-end viable in arena right now. I only suggested them because the have plenty of rebel synergy, you've already put some work into them, and they... of course work well together.

IMO, Just focus on getting R2 into they team and start fleet team to get zeta mats and you will see a climb.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • You have a few options and it looks like you can pass the Speed Mod challenge, so I would start there. You have the basis for a pretty decent team and should be able to compete in the top 100, if not the top 50 (based on the age of your shard).

Wedge (L) / Biggs / STHan / R2 (zeta number crunch) and...Leia

I would go Leia over Lando because any counter teams (specifically CLS) eat Lando for lunch. The trick is speed. Wedge and Biggs get speed naturally from sharing Wedge's unique, but you want to have the fastest Biggs on the shard. Leia and R2 are naturally fast, but you want to put as much speed as you can on STHan, preferably so that he can go before everyone else, get his taunt up, and start feeding you TM. Your turn order would look something like:

STHan - Taunt
    R2 - Smoke Screen (and foresight on Han to save him an opener)
    Leia - Stealth (now with offense up and foresight because she's already stealthed)
    Biggs - with dual assist, hopefully enrolling Leia, but an R2 stun is just as good.
    Wedge - AoE - and you're stealthed so you're not as worried about counters, or defense down on a beefy character like Nihilus

Just looking at your mods, you need to farm a lot of speed mods with good speed secondaries. Good Luck!

• @cannon_fodder

Thanks for your input! So I know that speed mods are best for R2. But conventional wisdom for Wiggs/Leia is the cc/cd combo and for STHan is health/defense (obviously all with as good speed secondaries as possible). Am I understanding correctly that you're saying I should throw speed mods on Wiggs, Leia, and STHan?
  • Hey there, I noticed you'd considered Ackbar. I thought I'd share my squad with you https://swgoh.gg/u/steelmemes/ It doesn't have any legendaries bar R2, although GK will be there soon and Shoretrooper is a difficult one. My shard is 2016 July/August

Quick rundown, key is getting R2 to move first and smokescreen all but Shoretrooper. Next I have Leia directly after using stealth and attacking, typically if there's a baze on the enemy team he's gained enough tm to take him out of taunt. Which is good, he dispells but Shore still has taunt and Leia is still stealthed thanks to their foresights. Next up is Ezra, and he hits a whopper when he calls Leia to assist. Really huge damage coming out of that.
    Ackbar is usually next, but sometimes he can interrupt elsewhere because of his leader ability and him gaining tm from his attacks. No big deal, he can cleanse a stun if say Han took a first shot, or if he's in between Leia and Ezra tactical genius works well.
    Finally Shore taunts, although lately he's been brought down to 0 tm often by Luke. Still, he's a **** good meatshield.
    Hope this helps.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    With your current roster I wouldalso suggest Wedge (L), Biggs, Leia, R2 and either a tank or Lando. With all the CLS lead teams around you will probably hurt yourself if using much AoE due to counters.

Regarding mods, I would warn you that farming a speed mod set with good speed secondaries might take too much time and too much focus from whatever charachter you would otherwise farm in the cantina. Farm them, if you plan to competer in the highest level in the arena.

If you put a speed primary mod on Wedge instead if that protection arrow of yours, then I'm sure you will see an instant improvement.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If you need more speed for your rebels, you could consider AA (L), Wiggs, Leia and R2. Theres no taunt, yes, but R2 has his smoke screen to protect your team (as well as the bonus stats granted by a zetaon your R2's number crunch ability.
  • gufu21 wrote: »
    @cannon_fodder

Thanks for your input! So I know that speed mods are best for R2. But conventional wisdom for Wiggs/Leia is the cc/cd combo and for STHan is health/defense (obviously all with as good speed secondaries as possible). Am I understanding correctly that you're saying I should throw speed mods on Wiggs, Leia, and STHan?

@gufu21 CC/CD are surely optimal, but speed wins in the arena. There are two ways to get it - first, farm the heck out of everything else to get good speed secondaries or farm the heck out of speed mods to get good speed secondaries AND the 10% speed primary boost. You have enough character shards for a decent arena team - I would use all cantina energy to farm mods if arena is your priority right now.

In an ideal world, if you can get Wiggs to +80-100 speed with CC/CD sets, great, but that means you need +10 secondaries on every mod, which can definitely be done it just takes a month of committed mod farming. I personally find speed sets to be useful almost everywhere (potency, CC, CD in some scenarios, surely). But speed almost always wins in arena.

As @Waqui pointed out - you need speed arrows on EVERYBODY (unless you have a pre-taunt like Shore or Baze in which case you would want protection).
  • Thanks, guys. These are all really helpful suggestions, and thanks @Waqui for pointing out the protection arrow. I'd pretty much forgotten about that one—it's sort of a relic from when I only had Wedge at g9 and he would fall apart instantly. I'll have to rectify that arrow now with a speed primary.

I'm also kind of interested in trying that AA team (though it'll unfortunately eat a lot of gear to get AA up a few levels). That ought to help ensure that Biggs goes first, and with R2's smokescreen and Leia's stealth, maybe I could get few good assists.
  • Great advice from everyone. I was in a similar situation. I was in the top 10 of a March 16 shard and dropped to top 100 with the rebel takeover. I ran Wiggs, OB, R2z, Han and got top 50. I found that g9 OB was better than g11 STH. As others have said, R2 is the key with zeta(s). When my CLS was ready, I replaced wiggs with CLS and DN. Now I'm back in the 10-20 depending if I am free before reset.
  • Sev
    15 posts Member
    I'm thinking wedge lead might actually make a comeback if Nightsisters become meta. Your current team doesnt have enough stall to make DN worth while and EP just dies too fast. I'd completely avoid lando since aoe basically insta kills you from counters and against any maul lead he is just going to non crit too many times. I use leia on a shard full of whales and I can usually float around rank 60. She's basically a less effective raid han. With your current roster, Wedge(L), Biggs, leia, r2, sthan. I don't know what that shard looks like in the top 50 but that's about the best team I can see with your roster. Wiggs is pretty out of the meta tbh. I'd work on old ben to replace sthan. Definitely zeta R2 number crunch before anything else. I mean if you end up getting CLS next time around you'd have a viable team so I'd almost just focus on getting ready for that event more than anything.
  • Looking at your roster there isn’t much you can do atm that won’t take time.

Your current team can suffice.

I would maybe run Wedge, Biggs, STH, Leia, and R2. I think you can pull better results with that. You can Zeta R2’s Number crunch, but I’d hold off on it as this is your first zeta, and I’d save it for a leadership in the future.

Wedge, Biggs, STH, R2, Chirrut.

The next few suggestions require work, and aren’t really viable until you build them up more.

You have a great FO platform and they can perform easily into the top 50. The thing is they are zeta dependent and they need a lot of them. They could be future proof though with the new movie and a dark side TB.

You may get some results with a droid team with the addition of bb8. HK, 86/88, R2, and Bb8. Should see the CD of ID go down like crazy and it could be a trump card for you.

Maybe an EP lead, Vader, RG, TFP, and either DN/or Tarkin. Could also switch around to. Tarkin/Vader leads.
    @cannon_fodder

I would say speed secondaries and arrow primary, no speed sets, maybe on leia or sthan (only if you can get him to be the fastest with a speed set)
    @cannon_fodder

I would say speed secondaries and arrow primary, no speed sets, maybe on leia or sthan (only if you can get him to be the fastest with a speed set)

I get that you need to try to go first if at all possible, and StHan's TM boost is vital. But I'm wondering if it'd be better with Biggs going first, then StHan right after that? If Wiggs are basically at full meter, then StHan's boost would be wasted on them, right? But if Biggs (and maybe Wedge) go first, then StHan's TM boost would get them very fast second turns. I'm also partly asking because it seems so hard to get StHan faster than Biggs because of his speed from Wedge. I'm unsure if the costs (health/defense) might be too much to give up to try to get StHan first?
  • As long as STH goes before your opponent you're fine. Either way, STHan's TM benefit only happens once he gets hit after he's taunting, so it doesn't matter if he goes first or Biggs goes first. If you get them fast enough you'll be fine.