Balance.. what do you think it means?

Replies

• Jetlife wrote: »
    In my opinion, balance is having many different types of teams available to be able to compete in the meta with. Team A will destroy team B, while team A can compete against team C and D. Team A will be destroyed by team E and with some rng team A can beat team F.
    Team B will destroy team E while team E will lose to team D.
    Something like this..
    Balance means you are strong VS certain team matchups but weak VS other matchups.

But adding in the fact that this is not correct at all in swgoh and the fact of mods; we have barely any balance in this game.

To me the real reason this game isn't balanced is because factions don't really matter. Meta has been the best 4 characters plus a lead character that brings them all together. Or best five if one has an elite lead ability. The last faction meta I can think of was zaul.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    Teague wrote: »
    For me, balance would mean every character being viable. Much like Street Fighter, for instance. Watch a professional SF tournament and you'll see every character being used. Because the game is balanced so well they are all viable. Every single one.

Dan has never been been equal

Ryu kicks Dan's ****.
  • ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    Meta has been the best 4 characters plus a lead character that brings them all together.

Doesn't even need to bring them all together. GK lead for GK/Zarriss's benefit only works just fine. That being said, that's not entirely true.
    Or best five if one has an elite lead ability. The last faction meta I can think of was zaul.

Not entirely true. CLS + Rebels is still pretty much the most popular team out there at the moment. You don't have to play them, though, so you're right there. Rex + best 4 does just fine, too.

• To me, the real reason the game isn't balanced, at least in the PvP arena area, is the large build up required to make one character "arena-ready". You used to be able to get away with a 3* Baze, even. In today's arena, you must have: 7*, level 85, gear 12 (for older shards and top 20 that's mostly true), and probably a zeta on the character.

Combine the above with CG's attempt to make characters last (because it's pretty crummy if you spent 5 months farming GK only to have him be one of the worst characters when you finally 7* him), and people will focus on the 5 characters that have proven to be able to deal with (almost) any others out there.

Would I like to try to see if I can make Frosty Han competitive? Sure. But that would involve putting 350 carbantis and 150 stun cuffs into him that I don't have. I'd rather invest those into my gear 10 Raid Han, as I already know that he has power and utility in the arena and elsewhere. At the same time, I have to pay attention to ships and gear up my shoretrooper and deathtrooper for the TIE Reaper.

Large wall to make a toon ready for arena leads to staleness in the arena. People will gear up toons that they know work in the current environment and stick to them. Then, if they have time/money, they will gear up toons they find fun or, more likely, toons that will help them elsewhere in the game, that may or may not work well in arena.

For example, I used FOST in my arena team for a couple months because I had been gearing him for phase 2 in HAAT and had a zeta on him for that reason. He turned out to work very well and was quite frustrating for some on my shard to try to beat. Of course, I still needed the Rex, GK, Thrawn, and Nihilus with him at the time. But just an example that there is potential for a bit more variety, but the constraints limit that potential from becoming a reality in most cases.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    @Dretzle just nailed it.

I know I would be running lots of various combinations of toons in arena if I had them maxed.
  • Mullato wrote: »
    @Dretzle just nailed it.

I know I would be running lots of various combinations of toons in arena if I had them maxed.

And it only got worse with gear 12.

A sandbox-y type mode might go a long way to encouraging variety, and spending, probably. If people could try out maxed toons, like the Veteran Smugglers, they might really grow to like them and be encouraged to build them up.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Diversity and balance aren't interchangible though. Hypothetically, diversity could still be a problem even if arena was perfectly balanced @Dretzle
    But i definately agree that the amount of effort it takes to get a toon ready for arena doesn't do wonders for arena diversity. The current mod management interface isn't helping either.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Mullato wrote: »
    @Dretzle just nailed it.

Totally agree. Sure, I think there are a few other factors... but it's essentially the min-max scanario, right? What's the most you can get for the least amount of input.

I'm already sure I can take down CLS arena teams with MT and Freinds.... but they're not Rebels... and this game has me hesitant to push them like I want for the very reasons @Dretzle said...

I push 'rebels' here because I don't think the situation is entirely on the players.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Dretzle wrote: »
    Meta has been the best 4 characters plus a lead character that brings them all together.

Doesn't even need to bring them all together. GK lead for GK/Zarriss's benefit only works just fine. That being said, that's not entirely true.
    Or best five if one has an elite lead ability. The last faction meta I can think of was zaul.

Not entirely true. CLS + Rebels is still pretty much the most popular team out there at the moment. You don't have to play them, though, so you're right there. Rex + best 4 does just fine, too.

I just checked my top 50 there is 6 rebel squads. Full 5 members most on my shard have 2 cls and r2. Along with gk dn thrawn. Very few run raid Han zarriss and Rex. In place of main 5.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I read the word ‘balance’ in so many threads on here but it’s used is so many ways and it appears to have several meanings, so could someone clarify?

I am pretty sure that you never read the game developers claiming that they are trying to balance the various toons to make them all equally strong and viable.
  • leef wrote: »
    Diversity and balance aren't interchangible though. Hypothetically, diversity could still be a problem even if arena was perfectly balanced @Dretzle
    But i definately agree that the amount of effort it takes to get a toon ready for arena doesn't do wonders for arena diversity. The current mod management interface isn't helping either.

I agree. That's true. I guess what I'm getting at, in part, is many think the game or the toons are not balanced because they don't see diversity. Yes, there are toons that on their own are clearly more powerful than other toons (*ahem* Luke *ahem*), but then there's toons like FOST that have enormous utility, as well, for their role -- in fact, one might even say they are well balanced when comparing to other toons (I'd make an argument, based on my use of him, that FOST is almost but not quite as good/powerful as GK, though maybe not quite as versatile as to his uses) -- but because they are too hard to farm, not as well known as to their usefulness, or hard to gear (coupled with the uncertainty), we don't see them and they fall by the wayside, labeled as "unbalanced".

In fact, even when CLS and the rebel meta came along, there are empire teams that can beat an comparatively modded CLS team quite handedly, but others only know of hurt when trying to fight CLS, so the empire team gets beat down and the player either switches to CLS/rebels or lives with falling fast. Is this unbalanced? Well, you could say that they're not as good on defense as CLS, so they're not balanced, or people just know/learned how to beat them but don't know how to beat the CLS team yet.
  • Dretzle wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

I agree. That's true. I guess what I'm getting at, in part, is many think the game or the toons are not balanced because they don't see diversity. Yes, there are toons that on their own are clearly more powerful than other toons (*ahem* Luke *ahem*), but then there's toons like FOST that have enormous utility, as well, for their role -- in fact, one might even say they are well balanced when comparing to other toons (I'd make an argument, based on my use of him, that FOST is almost but not quite as good/powerful as GK, though maybe not quite as versatile as to his uses) -- but because they are too hard to farm, not as well known as to their usefulness, or hard to gear (coupled with the uncertainty), we don't see them and they fall by the wayside, labeled as "unbalanced".

In fact, even when CLS and the rebel meta came along, there are empire teams that can beat an comparatively modded CLS team quite handedly, but others only know of hurt when trying to fight CLS, so the empire team gets beat down and the player either switches to CLS/rebels or lives with falling fast. Is this unbalanced? Well, you could say that they're not as good on defense as CLS, so they're not balanced, or people just know/learned how to beat them but don't know how to beat the CLS team yet.

This was a few months ago - middle of the Zaul meta -- but there was a good discussion on how a part of the arena works is simply by blending in. If you run exactly what everyone else runs - then people won't target "you" specificially and there's a kind of RNG that comes into play when you're faceless

On the flip side - if you stick our, people might just fight you simply to break up the monotony of arena.

For this Reason the Meta feeds itself.... and I don't think it's healthy.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Flashy new OP stuff is what makes the game fun. More balance = more boring.
  • ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    Jetlife wrote: »
    In my opinion, balance is having many different types of teams available to be able to compete in the meta with. Team A will destroy team B, while team A can compete against team C and D. Team A will be destroyed by team E and with some rng team A can beat team F.
    Team B will destroy team E while team E will lose to team D.
    Something like this..
    Balance means you are strong VS certain team matchups but weak VS other matchups.

But adding in the fact that this is not correct at all in swgoh and the fact of mods; we have barely any balance in this game.

To me the real reason this game isn't balanced is because factions don't really matter. Meta has been the best 4 characters plus a lead character that brings them all together. Or best five if one has an elite lead ability. The last faction meta I can think of was zaul.

But that's what's great about this game. You can play in a sandbox, and mix and match toons you'd never see paired up in the movies and be successful. Imo, this is a very good, fun thing to have.
    what an ugly thing to say... does this mean we're not friends anymore?
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I read the word ‘balance’ in so many threads on here but it’s used is so many ways and it appears to have several meanings, so could someone clarify?

I am pretty sure that you never read the game developers claiming that they are trying to balance the various toons to make them all equally strong and viable.

Quote, or it wasn't said.
  • P2p always have an advantage over f2p
  • Antisora
    105 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Balance means a playable game platform that Blizzard never achieved in 10 years of keeping everyone in Beta Test mode with all the reworks to the characters.

Uh, blizzard? Jump into the wrong forum?
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Antisora wrote: »
    Balance means a playable game platform that Blizzard never achieved in 10 years of keeping everyone in Beta Test mode with all the reworks to the characters.

Read what I wrote. It is a total 100% slam comparing Blizzard’s failed “balance” act against what everyone seems to think this game needs. If ya’ll want to be kept in perpetual beta mode let’s by all means have the Chosen One bring balance and break it completely. We can re-enact the death of Clash of Clans
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Read what I wrote. It is a total 100% slam comparing Blizzard’s failed “balance” act against what everyone seems to think this game needs. If ya’ll want to be kept in perpetual beta mode let’s by all means have the Chosen One bring balance and break it completely. We can re-enact the death of Clash of Clans

maybe it's just me, but i still don't understand what you're trying to say. Maybe it's because i'm unfamiliar with blizzard and i wasn't playing clash anymore where it supposedly died.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

maybe it's just me, but i still don't understand what you're trying to say. Maybe it's because i'm unfamiliar with blizzard and i wasn't playing clash anymore where it supposedly died.

I'm not even sure it's a slam though. Having a game last 10 years has to be considered a wild success.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Truly "balancing" the game would be ludicrous... that would require not "objectifying" heros like jedi and sith, rebel and imperial or resistance and first order with faction tags... because faction labeling is not fair and biased.

Also you would need to introduce an affirmative action program that introduces characters from all walks of life... not just "heros". New characters like
    Gungan Thesbian
    Corusant Translater droid

Dantooninian Farmer
    Mos Esiely Drunkard
    Alderannian Refugee etc... are not given any representation and far outnumber the "heros" so as long as the game is label as Galaxy of Heros there will be no balance as the common folk are not represented and there is no balance.

Furthermore in lieu of "balance" as the affirmative action program is introduced all blasters, lightsabers, force powers and abities should be removed to be more "balanced & fair" to new characters like Kashyyk Line Cook
    Korribanian Sand Miner and of course Endorian Botanist

So bringing "balace" is a lost cause... but making the game fun... that is a worthy endevour.

• Tman
    257 posts Member
    To me it means that every team serves a use and things are fair. If you have every toon was equal it wouldn't be much of a game. My dad always says "Fair doesn't meet equal"
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Balance means that your choices matter. Making wise choices to build a good team outfitted the the proper mods should pay off. If you throw together a team with no synergy, you should have a tougher time than someone that took those things into account.
    It always bothered me during the dooku/old ben meta that there was zero synergy involved and the whole match was left up to pure chance. You could just put them as lead with a bunch of attackers and you'd be able to climb in arena pretty easily. I'm very glad that's gone.
    Balance also means that I shouldn't have to do 5 battles during dinnertime with my family just to remain competitive, but that's an entirely different kind of balance.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Balance means you shouldn’t put in stupid abilities/uniques on a select few toons so those toons need to be used to be competitive.
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • Balance is that we all use the same 5 OP toons.
  • kalidor wrote: »
    Balance means that your choices matter. Making wise choices to build a good team outfitted the the proper mods should pay off. If you throw together a team with no synergy, you should have a tougher time than someone that took those things into account.
    It always bothered me during the dooku/old ben meta that there was zero synergy involved and the whole match was left up to pure chance. You could just put them as lead with a bunch of attackers and you'd be able to climb in arena pretty easily. I'm very glad that's gone.
    Balance also means that I shouldn't have to do 5 battles during dinnertime with my family just to remain competitive, but that's an entirely different kind of balance.
    +1. I'm a more recent player and that's the problem I have with CLS, I have no 'interesting' choices. I feel like I have to farm CLS if I want to be competitive, all my choices are taken away. Once I win or lose CLS, I'll have choices again. I understand that there will always be some chasing after things, but it should be because they're cool and work, not because they're more awesome than the last thing.
  • +1. I'm a more recent player and that's the problem I have with CLS, I have no 'interesting' choices. I feel like I have to farm CLS if I want to be competitive, all my choices are taken away. Once I win or lose CLS, I'll have choices again. I understand that there will always be some chasing after things, but it should be because they're cool and work, not because they're more awesome than the last thing.

Same way I feel as well...forced to go grind out and gear a bunch of toons that I really had little interest in for the most part just to get that OP toon, and if I chose to just ignore him I'd pay the price next time the event is here and my shard goes from what seems like 9 people having him to the majority of the top 100+ having him.

On one hand I'm looking forward to getting him because he'll help out my raid and TB scores, but on the other hand I'm not looking forward to pretty much every one of my arena fights being against some team with CLS in it.
  • if I am successful the game is balanced if I am not it must be because the game is unablanced :p

Seriously, balance means to me to have the choice of several viable options to be successful (most people here probably look at area first and foremeost and everything else as a mean to be successful in arena). And not to have one option dominate all others. This is true for both abilities and toons.I would like to be able to be competitive with a debuff focus as well as a buff or DPS focus. Mods do actually help a lot in that respect as they let youz tailor your toons abilities to some degree. The same would be true for factions. I would also appreciate it if I had to regularly change my arena team composition based on what team I currently face so I don't simply go for one team that I use against all opponents.

The problem I have with swgoh is their rotating meta. Meta in swgoh normally means there is one best option and everything else is inferior. Which is why everyone rushes to replicate that meta and that is how they make money and can continue to provide that game, I get that. I still don't like it.

I would rather prefer it if they started constantly upgrading and adding different toons from different factions and with different abilities instead of doing faction passes that give one faction a massive boost and advantage over all others. But again, I understand why they do it that way from a business perspective. Doesn't mean that I have to like it. Btw, i think the dumb AI actually helps to achieve balance in some respect because it makes it possible for non-meta teams to beat a stupid AI meta team (doesn't help the non-meta team being a prime target).

Oh, and what is not balance? Spamming platoons and TB with useless toons you would otherwise not develop. hiding key content like zetas behind specific factions that people could otherwise ignore. That is just a lazy way to force people to farm those characters even if they really don't want to.
  • Nzchimeran
    165 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Balance?

Look at even the capital ship upgrade tiers for instance.
    Tier 5 requires 5x 5 star ships.
    Yes when you start the enemy has twice as much health and does twice as much damage against my level 85 gear level 9 and 10's.
    3 of my guys killed outright by target locks.
    My target locks all resisted .
    Dead in two rounds.
    It's just dumb, frustrating, not enjoyable.
    Taken weeks to get my guys to that star level in ships.
    Tier 4 was fine, but tier 5 is just unfair and impossible with 5 x5 star ships, not even close.
    The Phoenix ships are incredibly weak, single shot killed, 6 bars of health vs 16 on an enemy.
    They are 7 star enemies......
    Why state level 5 star ships when obviously it requires much more.
    The space combat vs AI is a broken fight of unbalanced synergy ..guess what stealth don't work when target locked.
    Enemy capital ship is already at full TM.
    Enemy goes first, 3 target locking ships, 2 others and a capital ship attack right off the bat.
    Why does the enemy always go first even if I have speed mods?
    Over it, over this game
    Post edited by Nzchimeran on
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Balance to me means having many viable options. Arena is the way to get crystals so that is the most important to me. Balance has never been a strong point in this game since I began a year and a half ago, and balance is at the lowest I have seen it since the Wedge, Biggs, and Lando combo. This is one of the major reasons I have been seeing dedicated players quit lately. I am tired of fighting the same combination every day cause that is all that is viable essentially. Commander Luke lead, and Barris Kenobi. Raids are also grossly unbalanced with certain teams or characters doing more than triple of what other combinations do.

This is not balance.

:edit: I also agree that I do not like CG's strategy with platoons. Some characters like lobot show up far too often compared to most other characters. Every week we can't finish a bunch of platoons cause my guild has not got a 7* lobot. Needed about 8 in the final phase this time, and other characters like Jawas rarely even show once. I disagree with CG using platoons as a means to pressure people into farming difficult to acquire or otherwise useless characters. I see this as another way to upset the consumer by squeezing more profit as it causes people to spend extra just to farm these characters. I wish platoons were balanced better so characters had a more even chance of appearing. Again, this is also not balance. Though, I have been very pleased to see that CG have listened a great deal to feedback from territory battles including removing characters from platoons when they are needed for missions like Phoenix and Rogue 1.