Is GW balanced?

Prev1
Ruyen
46 posts Member
edited June 2017
How's your experience?

Is GW balanced? 98 votes

GW is balanced - Challenging but always winnable with good play.
34%
SaralebOmerAsikKynoGreenGoblin96GebuttersnapsAPX_919AmbassadorKalanojvvilHuatimusGlobuhlDarklin_SilBillcarson66JaminSpaceharryheckDAXBistan_LoverTantema_GarnikKyJoe_CoolAnakedJaywalkerRiffinator 34 votes
GW is overly Difficult - The scaling is crazy
55%
five2zeroDarthSootieLinkyTriforcewarmonkeyRavens1113HokieFiendNikoms565dstelmajedikilla84GaloopaBakerstullTarugo91The_DudeElleMadaraSotheDeadStormTrooperAkeronChrisSkywalkerZolazBrotha01 54 votes
GW is always easy - You all just suck
10%
DevinSackfieldDarth_cowboysyingThor_Odinson1MzeeCamaroAMFCrazylazyguyVanKings22LukeSkyrunnerRevanComingSoon 10 votes

Replies

• Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Feel free to leave your comments, but please include info about your roster and the teams you're using, in case the devs care enough to read.
    ___

In short, I'm a new player, lvl59 atm. I started GW with a couple wins, then 50/50, then I couldn't win for days. I was advised to work on a B and maybe a C team, so I paused my A-Team (Rebels & Fett) progress for a couple days, worked on my Droid B team, Empire C team, and got back to winning.

Yesterday I decided to add a couple levels to my A-Team (to 58, still one level behind my player lvl), one rank 6 skill for Boba, and Biggs got gear7. Then my scaling went crazy.

- The first hard node was equal power equiv to my top5,
    - The 2nd hard ravaged my B team, only a couple survived.
    - The 3rd hard wiped out everything but my A-Team.
    - The 11th node was crazy hard
    - The 12th node was lvl 70-75, 7 stars. I don't even have a single 7, and my entire roster is basically dead at this point, before even trying.

So F'in frustrating! I play games for fun. Challenges like tier4 of Yoda, which took a few tries, are fun. Getting one shot per day at overly difficult GW is not!
    Post edited by Ruyen on
  • GW is overly Difficult - The scaling is crazy
    i too play for fun. and yes challenges that require a few tries are fun. but to get religiously stopped half way through GW is not.

playing for fun to me means using toons i genuily enjoy. EP, vader, RG, dooku, not some set of toons the dev's have decided will carry this game in every game mode.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Even though I have no problems with GW, I don't understand the people who are repeating that it should be more challenging. Imo, GW is one the modes for resources in this game, and should not be overly difficult. The scaling should count general roster power, gear and level for the players. There's no need to overkill people with top whales, just because they are playing for a few months and reached level 80's with a few good geared characters. Balancing it will help everyone get better in the game. There can be a scaling in rewards too, the more difficult it is, the more you gain etc.
  • Torin_Woodle
    464 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    For some reason,, my GW is balanced enough that I beat it everyday​ and I know it it's not like that for others, I'm FTP btw
    At least it isn't as hard as the developer response mode, I don't think anyone has beat that in over a year.
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Balanced...

Those that cant beat it dont have deep enough rosters... been playing since jan 2016.. i have around 60 lvl 85 7* chars with about 4-5 of those teams g10-11 and the rest g8-9

I still dont win everyday... but i accept that. Its actually more of a strategy than people think.. im always thinking there IS the perfect team set up to take the other down or at least to make big enough a dent the next u throw in can clean up
  • GW is balanced - Challenging but always winnable with good play.
    @Saraleb , I use Palp lead, Vader, TFP, Sid and maul for GW and almost always never lose any toons for the rest of GW if that helps
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    More feedback wanted
    I am an average 400 rank in arena... No zetas on any of my characters, my arena roster doesn't even have full omegas. Power is about 65k.

You can see my roster in swgoh (signature link), it's nothing interesting at all.

Node 9 or 12 I often fight:
    * Rex(L), Thrawn, GK, DN, and one more (R2 or others)
    * zMaul (L), with Sith Assassin, zKylo, DN, EP
    * Wedge (L), Biggs, Chaze, and one more (R2 or others)
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    As I said in the other thread. Mods (and the speed dominance of them) is more responsible for the frustrating scaling of GW than anything to do with OP characters.

IMO mods are unbalanced at the moment and that's created balance issues in other areas of the game.
  • GW is always easy - You all just suck
    Needs to be harder, I get hit 2-3 times a GW, I might just try auto just to have it a challenge
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    At the least whatever formula they use to decide opponents needs rethinking. Some find it super easy, others impossible and they're probably facing very similar opposition. Sounds like there's something not quite right with the balance there and it's more of a one size fits all system once you reach a certain point.
    For some reason,, my GW is balanced enough that I beat it everyday​ and I know it it's not like that for others, I'm FTP btw

That's me as well.
    I ALWAYS complete all my nodes... except node 12. Sometimes I complete it, sometimes I don't, but I don't really care about GW anymore... Some days I only do 1 battle :/
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
    I got 3 versions of the new, completely maxxed out, CLS, GK, R2, Nihilus, Thrawn meta team on my last GW.

My roster is pretty solid and has a good number of G10+ characters, but I'm really finding this new GW is tipping from fun & challenging over into ridiculous, and tedious.

It's not reached a point of preventing me from finishing, YET. But it takes so absurdly long, and so many tries to preserve enough key characters to keep going... Ugh. For me, GW is starting to commit the one true and unforgivable sin that a game can commit.

It's becoming UN-FUN.
  • Sothe
    179 posts Member
    The fact that I can go on swgoh.gg and look at the rosters of my nodes 9, 11 and 12 and see players that regularly take first place in arena when I have neither the speed or mods to do so is pretty crazy. Call me bad, but even turn meter advantage doesn't do a lot when your opponent has all of their characters with +92 or higher speed.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    it's not and should not always be beatable. there are tough spots as you develop your roster. it happens to everyone. you get through it.

• Left my comments/suggestions in "Why is this a GW Node" post. Probably should have left it here, maybe you guys can check it out tell me what you think?

Flakbait wrote: »
    I got 3 versions of the new, completely maxxed out, CLS, GK, R2, Nihilus, Thrawn meta team on my last GW.

My roster is pretty solid and has a good number of G10+ characters, but I'm really finding this new GW is tipping from fun & challenging over into ridiculous, and tedious.

It's not reached a point of preventing me from finishing, YET. But it takes so absurdly long, and so many tries to preserve enough key characters to keep going... Ugh. For me, GW is starting to commit the one true and unforgivable sin that a game can commit.

It's becoming UN-FUN.

+1
    Can't win again. Originally made this poll before I knew about retreating, when GW was impossible.

And now it is again.

I just hit 85 and get CLS in every node 12, usually Zeta'ed and/or G12, while I have no Zetas or G12s (two g9s actually). I think any team with him should be excluded from being in people's GW who don't have him.
  • J0HND03
    143 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    i'm 84 and i just beat my first csl g12 team with 3 zetas yesterday ( 1zeta g12 csl lead, 2zr2 g11, wedge g11, biggs g11, chirrut g11) , was a shore as i have 6 g10 chars, rest is lower and no zetas yet... took me 1.2 hrs, my 2 good teams (rebels and empire) and a bunch of 7 star jedis in between and wasn't fun until the second those kittens finaly got beaten for good :)
    don't see a problem there but might change next week when i get to 85 myself, will see ....

if this is your acc (https://swgoh.gg/u/ruyen/collection/) afaik your problem is that those 3 g11 chars just boost your GW level too much so the rest of your toons can't keep up at all .... while my rooster is more robust without such peak toons ... (https://swgoh.gg/u/j0hnd03/collection/)

you can also see the drawback, you score ~30ish in arena, i only around 100....
    you can chose pain in arena or pain in gw ... i've chosen pain in arena xD

Post edited by Ambassador on
    I can beat it with my arena team (Rex, DN, DT, Trawn, Kenobi) and an occational Zarriss every day. I don't need a great rooster and I don't think it is a good GW strategy, since CLS teams can't be beaten with B-squads. Using one team with op chars and restore protection with Trawn in easier battles works very well.

But between level 70 and 84 it is almost impossible to beat.
  • Zolaz
    392 posts Member
    Since G12 and CLS came out I have finished GW 3 times. I guess that is how the Devs like it.
    For me, the challenge is now always winnable but that's because I worked up a Resistance team solely for the sake of GW (HAAT being a distant second reasoning).

I chose the option I chose simply because not everyone will have worked up a team solely for the sake of completing GW, and as such, it doesn't matter how good they play, they are very likely to encounter an unwinnable scenario as often as daily.
    Use Resistance, but in the first 6 nodes I preload TM for Phoenix, Empire, FO, Rebels, & Rebels.

I can’t remember the last time I didn’t complete it. Some days are more challenging than others, but mostly it’s pretty good stuff, I really enjoy it.

F2P player started Dec 26th 2016.
    I pre-load 3 teams.
    - GK,ZBarris,ZDN,ZZR2,ZThrawn
    - ZVader,TP,EP,SF,Zsid
    - Wiggs,Chaze,Lando

Then use a resistance team to try to clear all nodes. Works all of the time.

I voted that it is unbalanced and difficult only because you need specific teams to beat it. Not just any number of deep roster teams can beat it.
  • SWGOHdecuehrola
    15 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I sincerely doubt that there's a game mode more hated than GW.
    I can beat it everyday and usually do. It is not fun though and fighting same teams at top of arena and in GW every single day is frustrating and annoying and just 100% boring. Not the good kind of frustration either that inspires you to do better but the bad kind that makes you angry, annoyed, and wondering "why am I doing this to myself?"

When you build your toons up over a year gearing and farming them and then go into GW and watch them not get two turns against an arena meta team before they are totally destroyed is demoralizing.
    The scaling is simply flat out wrong. I do complete it every day - but I know plenty of people who don't. I also know that it doesn't seem balanced in terms of difficulty - even for me.

Some examples:

- For me: I face maxed, g12 (with actual gear - not just made it with gold pictures) all 5 opponents, starting on node 6. I don't have 5 g12 toons on my entire roster. But I am expected to beat 6 nodes of them. All CLS, Thrawn, RaidHan , R2, etc. - all maxed. That's nuts. - Especially when compared to EVERY other aspect of the game where I can virtually auto everything. It takes me an hour sometimes to finish GW.

- For others: I know people that face g12 toons on the end nodes that don't have a SINGLE g12 toon. The developers themselves stated that g12 will be a "significant" advantage. So how does it make sense that people without g12 toon are facing g12 toons? Sometimes multiple times or multiple g12 toons on a node? Every. Single. Day.?

- For others: This has been broken for a long time. Since the introduction of zeta abilities. I know several guild mates and my own eldest son had faced zeta'd toons - again multiple zeta'd toons and multiple nodes - despite not having a SINGLE character with a zeta ability. The introduction of g12 and CLS have only made the scaling issue worse - especially for those who can't easily obtain either.

Compared to other areas of the game, GW is horribly off and has been for months. Both in terms of time spent, difficulty, scaling and, then of course, in compared to rewards compared to time spent.

I have heard that "all you need is zeta'd Finn and a Resistance team". If that's the case, then rename it "Resistant War" or "Resistance Roster Check". It was my understanding that GW was supposed to be a "test" of your entire roster - not a check for one specific faction. And not an event where only your top 2 or 3 g12 toons are the only ones who can even survive past node 8.

What was once my favorite part of the game is becoming a daily chore that feels a whole bunch more like work than fun.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
    warmonkey wrote: »
    I can beat it everyday and usually do. It is not fun though and fighting same teams at top of arena and in GW every single day is frustrating and annoying and just 100% boring. Not the good kind of frustration either that inspires you to do better but the bad kind that makes you angry, annoyed, and wondering "why am I doing this to myself?"

When you build your toons up over a year gearing and farming them and then go into GW and watch them not get two turns against an arena meta team before they are totally destroyed is demoralizing.

+1