Probability and the Terrible Idea of Purchasing

SamuraiUX
265 posts Member
edited November 2017

The text for the Clan Mother pack reads: "Each pack guarantees at least 5 shards for Mother Talzin, and may drop up to 330 shards! Possible shard drops include: 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 50, 80, 145, 230, 330."

I would've been happy with anything from 25 - 330 shards and disgusted with anything from 5 - 20 shards. I guessed that made my probability about 50/50 (6 of the outcomes were positive, 6 negative). My mistake was assuming the probability of all possible outcomes were equal.

My results across five id.i.ot.ic purchases were: 10, 10, 7, 5, 5.

Had the probabilities for all outcomes been equal, the probability of getting two tens in a row, for example, would've been 1/12 * 1/12 = 1/144. Same with getting those two fives. The probability of getting only outcomes in the "undesirable" half would be 1/2 to the 5th power, or 1/32. My conclusion is that while not explicitly stated, there is not an equal probability of all outcomes. Rather it is like pulling a slot machine: the 'better' outcomes are clearly less probable.

Pulling slot machines are addictive. I'm a d.um.my for doing it five times. That's my bad. EA is using "Dark UX" successfully, which is a moral grey area - but they're hardly the only ones doing it in mobile gaming.

I'm no whale, I shouldn't try. Don't do it, dude.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    One of the benefits of reading the forum, this is well known. Packs are not your friend unless you're willing to spend enormous (imo) amounts of money.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Well, it used to be 5-33 shards....until they added the zero after 33 to make it more worth your while.
  • I feel it should be at least a 50% chance to get 20 or less and 50% to get above that. That would be more fair
    "Because I'm Batman"-me
  • Ceodoc
    175 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    $99.99 should get you a 7* marquee toon, geared to 9-11(there is your random factor), 85lvl, with all but a zeta ability finished, anything else is disgusting greed. Oh and a completed mod set.
  • Gawejn
    1105 posts Member
    Ceodoc wrote: »
    $99.99 should get you a 7* marquee toon, geared to 9-11(there is your random factor), 85lvl, with all but a zeta ability finished, anything else is disgusting greed. Oh and a completed mod set.

What? 99? It is ridicolous. I think You mean 5 $..... Everything above is a joke.
  • Well this is simple.

When you play this game you are either rich or constantly frustrated. That is how they care about their player base.

Another 2 characters we cannot use unless we spend 300 dollars on them to reach 7 stars now. We were not given anything today as we can't use these characters in arena nor raids. Useless indeed.
  • wecan still use UK in GW, the 2 turn stun is pretty useful! even @ 3-4*, i do hope they increase chances of getting more shards.
  • Durmir
    205 posts Member
    edited November 2017

$99.99 should actually get you all toons and ships in the game lvl85, 7*, g12, all abilities maxed (incl. Zetas) and 500 type-A mods lvl 15 of each type. And probably also full access to all future mobile EA games.
    Please remember to put $99.99 in the context of other video games. This would be a collector edition of a blockbuster for a PC game. You could get 10-20 full great games on Steam for that price.
    10 years ago, the most expensive and very comparable games would cost $5 max to unlock everything. I suppose they call it "inflation"...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    leef wrote: »
    One of the benefits of reading the forum, this is well known. Packs are not your friend unless you're willing to spend enormous (imo) amounts of money.

This^^

Research to make informed purchases is the best way to not feel the way you do.

Moved to correct sub forum.
  • this model with 5-7 shard drops from every pack is worst thing i ever saw in different pack models.
    Nothing "guaranted" specials for increasing it popularity, nothing sale options, etc. Not user friendly.
  • Thievery, pure and simple. I really want to spend money but the value is so insultingly low that I just can't.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Thievery, pure and simple. I really want to spend money but the value is so insultingly low that I just can't.

Doesn't that make it the exact opposite of thievery?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    Thievery, pure and simple. I really want to spend money but the value is so insultingly low that I just can't.

Doesn't that make it the exact opposite of thievery?

Bud, it's a hyperbole is all.
  • My Qoute "Use the Force (insert your name) Stay on target and Avoid the packs you must towards the path if the broke side it will lead you. All ready have you want you need. Just play the game and have fun at it. Sign William501
  • Skuddy
    137 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Gawejn wrote: »

What? 99? It is ridicolous. I think You mean 5 $..... Everything above is a joke.

You may think it's a joke, but some of us don't. Its not really if you take in to account the amount of time saved in that value proposition.
    If given a bunch of Google play credits for like birthdays or Christmas or something, and I have them saved up, I would INSTANTLY purchase that. Good commission check and a good toon comes out? I'd seriously consider for that price. Like probably 75% chance of me pulling the trigger on that kind of deal.

What I'm buying is months of my time to enjoy a character now. Gear 9-11 is great, because I get the thrill of maybe getting a g11 toon. Max level is nice because I don't have to spend my hard earned credits. No worries about farming all the bull crap gears to get them that first bit. And abilities up to Omega level short of zeta is actually really nice. Saves me weeks of farming omegas. Which frees up my omegas for someone else. And frees up gear for someone else. The mod set would be nice for the price. Like a "this is what we suggest you use" set. Have that be random between blue and orange. So at least it'll upgrade decently even if it ends up being a kind of crummy mod.

I think that model would be wildly successful and encourage a LOT more people to spend it.

@Ceodoc this is a good idea.
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    I feel it should be at least a 50% chance to get 20 or less and 50% to get above that. That would be more fair

Fair ain't got nothin' to do with it.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gawejn wrote: »

This. The fact that EA has successfully warped players perception to the point that someone would propose $495 for a squad of characters in a mobile game is "fair" is disgusting.
  • Skuddy wrote: »
    Gawejn wrote: »

You may think it's a joke, but some of us don't. Its not really if you take in to account the amount of time saved in that value proposition.
    If given a bunch of Google play credits for like birthdays or Christmas or something, and I have them saved up, I would INSTANTLY purchase that. Good commission check and a good toon comes out? I'd seriously consider for that price. Like probably 75% chance of me pulling the trigger on that kind of deal.

What I'm buying is months of my time to enjoy a character now. Gear 9-11 is great, because I get the thrill of maybe getting a g11 toon. Max level is nice because I don't have to spend my hard earned credits. No worries about farming all the bull **** gears to get them that first bit. And abilities up to Omega level short of zeta is actually really nice. Saves me weeks of farming omegas. Which frees up my omegas for someone else. And frees up gear for someone else. The mod set would be nice for the price. Like a "this is what we suggest you use" set. Have that be random between blue and orange. So at least it'll upgrade decently even if it ends up being a kind of crummy mod.

I think that model would be wildly successful and encourage a LOT more people to spend it.

@Ceodoc this is a good idea.

Just curious - not being judgmental. In your example you are given the Google Play credits. What if you were given $99 in cash instead. Do you still by the bundle?
  • Gawejn wrote: »

Have you any idea how much a luxury yacht berth costs at Martha's?!!
  • I posted the idea because I understand the need to make profits.
    My issue is about value, and as we have seen in other Galaxies not so far away the last few days, it is too much greed.
    $99.99 is a lot of money for 1 single toon, even if it is geared and ready to play, but we have a price point of circa $350 to just unlock at 7* Lvl1 and naked!
    Yeah right!
  • 1299 crystals for an average of 5 shards is a big joke. I would buy if I knew the average drop was 20.

Heck I hope they continue to make money and I don't mind supporting them, but the current 1299 crystal pack is just a really horrible deal.
  • I really think that they must stop telling users shards are given between 5-330! This is wrong. They have to state the probability distribution somewhere, somehow.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Damdor wrote: »
    I really think that they must stop telling users shards are given between 5-330! This is wrong. They have to state the probability distribution somewhere, somehow.

I recall hearing it became law in China or something a while ago, but it is not a law to do so in most countries. Obviously, they won't tell us the probability distribution, cause if they did then their sales of those packs would drop a ton. They also know that if we saw the drop rates for gear then people would be even more upset. Gold gear and purples have a much lower drop rate than the greens and blues for example. It gives them more control over things to not tell us.
  • If they do reveal the odds of getting 330 shards, we would leave the game en mass out of protest..... actually, no. We have always know the odds were low for 330 shards, but I guess what we expected, which is a more normal distribution curve would be proven false.....