Territory Wars Overview [Mega]

Prev1345678
Pyrefly
1254 posts Member
edited November 2017
Hiya Holotable Heroes,
In anticipation of the release of the Territory War update, we are sharing some more details about the game mechanics.
669b8i28q8bi.png
Scheduling
Several Territory Wars will occur per month at times that Territory Battles are not occurring.

Gameplay
n3kjmx8cg3t3.png
In this event, players work together to defend their Guild’s territories and attack the opponent’s territories. This is done through assigning defensive squads/fleets to protect your territories and using squads/fleets to attack your opponent’s territories.
Territory Wars have a sign up period and two primary phases, with each phase being 24 hours long to accommodate members across timezones and availability.

Preview Phase: This is a period where each player joins the event. This is to ensure that matchmaking accounts only for players that plan to participate.
  • In this phase the map details can be viewed, but no actions can be taken until Player Lock, which is the end of the preview phase.
  • Player Lock: To provide a fair matchmaking experience, any progression on units (ex. Promotion) that occurs after the preview phase has ended will NOT be reflected on that unit's progression in this event. For example, if the unit was 4-star at the moment of Player Lock, it will remain 4-star within this event even though it is 5-star in other areas of the game. This is to prevent a variety of exploits such as removing all mods before matchmaking, getting a weaker match, and then replacing them all.
  • Matchmaking: A very short Matchmaking period (~1 minute) will pair 2 guilds using a combination of factors including the number of players and the strength of their rosters.
  • Participant Minimum: A minimum of 25 members are required to initiate a Territory Battle.
  • Leaving: Players can leave a Territory War up to the point of Player Lock.
k0ultzj7haos.png
Setup Phase: This is a period where players assign their defensive squads/fleets to protect their territories. Unlike Territory Battles, units do not refresh in Territory Wars, so it is important to save units for the attack phase.
ocs8sul2s1z6.png
  • Also unlike Territory Battles, all contribution limits, such as the number of defensive squads that can be assigned, are Guild limits not player limits. This will allow the flexibility for guildmates who cannot participate in the whole event to take on a “defensive role” and place all their troops down or “attacking role” and focus on offense.
  • To ensure everyone understands that units do not refresh between phases, a message will appear when more than 1/3 of the eligible troops have been placed. The message reminds the player to save some troops for the attack phase and can be ignored.
  • Units must be over a specified power to participate
  • The number of defensive squads/fleets that can be assigned to a territory is based on the number lowest number of members between the two Guilds.
Attack Phase: In this phase, players attack their opponent’s defensive squads on the front territories. Defensive squads have persistent health exactly like Galactic War so players need to work together to defeat the opponents. Unlike Galactic War, to prevent any one meta squad from dominating the map, attacking squads that successfully defeat an opponent are not available for future attacks.
  • Once all the opponent’s Defensive squads have been beaten in the available Territories, the Guild conquers the territory “pushing” to the next set of Territories. This will allow the guild to complete the Territory War Attack Phase as quickly as they choose.
Review Phase: A period to review the final status of the event.

Earning Banners
p2rqfb8o6bxz.jpeg
Players earn banners for a variety of actions including setting a defensive squad, successfully defeating a defensive squad, and conquering an opponent’s territory. The winner of the match is based on the guild with the most banners at the conclusion.

Rewards
Players earn rewards based on a combination of the cumulative Galactic Power of their participants and the win/loss status. This is to reward both winning and the difficulty of the match.
  • All rewards will be equally distributed to all members of the guild who have participated in the Territory War.

Stats
Player contribution of banners is tracked in Stats.

Leaderboards
Guilds that win a Territory War will be placed on the leaderboard based on the Galactic Power of the opponent they defeated. Additional wins are cumulative.

Reporting another Guild
We take cheating very seriously and will suspend or ban players that are caught cheating. To help us in identifying cheaters, a Guild Leader or Officer can report their opponent Guild if they suspect them to be violating the terms of service. Misuse of this feature, such as reporting a guild with no evidence of cheating, will also result in disciplinary action.

Future Iterations
While the initial version of Territory Wars has intentionally minimal complexity to help with learning, expect to see a wide variety of Territory War events in the future. For example:
  • Faction bonuses on the map, individual territories, or even specifically the attacker or defender on a territory
  • Unit Requirements
  • Platoon Missions and associated abilities

We are excited to see how Guilds bring their best strategies to this new map and reign victorious over the Cantina. See you on the Holotables very soon!

<<ORIGINAL POST>>

UPDATE 11/15
I've appended the original megapost in order to address player feedback and questions. Apologies if I did not address your particular query, but hopefully this will illuminate some points as we all excitedly await the launch of Territory Wars.

The dominant strategy will be to set all CLS squads on defense
While putting your best squads on defense is one way to go, there are some shortcomings with that strategy to consider:
  • Players attacking a squad can choose a squad that has a strategic advantage over the defensive squad (for example Night Sisters have proven to be strong against CLS squads)
  • The attacking player has a clear strategic advantage over an AI controlled defensive squad
  • A Guild earns the most banners by conquering a territory, so setting strong defenses is smart to mitigate the other Guild conquering your territories, however, if all your best squads are put on defense then your guild will be unlikely to defeat any of the opponent Territories. Given the advantage players have on offense, this is a risky strategy.

Guild Currency isn’t a compelling reward from Territory Wars
  • A reorganization of the Guild Store will occur with our impending Version Update that will provide additional valuable items to purchase. Please stay tuned!
swgoh.gg profile: Pyrefly -- Check out my Galactic Power Tables and my TB Phase Info Tables !!
Post edited by Kozispoon on

Replies

• There are lots of good ideas in here (use any character only once, collaborative conquest...).

How many battles would this amount to per day? It reminds me of the old tournaments, which were just a bit over the top in terms of playtime requirements...
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Awesome! I am pretty excited about this update.
    The Academy of the Fallen
  • When will this go to the YouTubers to preview? Really excited to see some actual playing...
  • This looks awesome! And doesn't look to be too much of a time sink. Very excited for it!
  • Kevern_Zaksor
    894 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Well, I know what I'll be reading tonight in class!

Edit: I wonder how this will affect movement among guilds. Right now after every TB there's a mass exodus and influx ("mass" compared to before TB existed). Once the first phase is over and the teams are all locked, will guild member's toons stay if they leave the guild? I would think so because of the matchmaking.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Would be cool to have a single player version of this as well.
  • Ploosh wrote: »
    This looks awesome! And doesn't look to be too much of a time sink. Very excited for it!

This. Not bad at all (time sink wise).
  • Jamesm wrote: »
    Ploosh wrote: »
    This looks awesome! And doesn't look to be too much of a time sink. Very excited for it!

This. Not bad at all (time sink wise).

Just wait, there will be spreadsheets
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    You won, You Survived, Your out for the rest of the war? seriously? Tournaments anyone?
    I'm not buying the 'meta' explanation
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Are guild leaders and officers going to get free crystals or something for all the coordination they'll need to do?
  • Ztyle wrote: »
    You won, You Survived, Your out for the rest of the war? seriously? Tournaments anyone?

Yeah I agree, so what stops guilds from just pumping all the territories with a meta squad and the rival guild may be simular GP but not have the meta squads to counter the defensive ones. Should be able to use your squads until they die and then not regen.
  • As much as I love shiny new things and this does look nice and shiny, when will things like droids for ships been implemented? Has been forever being told by the little droid icon ‘hardware coming soon’. I do appreciate these things, just an update on what’s happening with half finished stuff would be nice
  • With the advent of TW, could we ever see larger scale team battles? Imagine a 10v10!

I don't know if it is in the works, or even possible, for that matter, but imagine the carnage!
    The Academy of the Fallen
  • I would like to see them make territory battles even the tiniest bit fun before they insist on forcing more of it on us.
  • Are guild leaders and officers going to get free crystals or something for all the coordination they'll need to do?

Nope if u are doing too much u are doing it wrong and yep I'm a officer.

Nope if u are doing too much u are doing it wrong and yep I'm a officer.

So many volunteers to be officers lol

I think it’s going to be a constant thing from Ls and ds tbs and then territory wars. Peeps best be getting their 600s
  • That would be epic.
  • So when is it?
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Edit.

This comment was merged and no longer makes sense so I'm deleting it.
    Post edited by Snake2 on
  • Snake2 wrote: »
    Could be fun. Too bad the best team would just be zariss dn and 8 tanks

best team offensive or defensive?
  • Looks pretty sweet!
  • GildoMcFlay
    244 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Ztyle wrote: »

I'm buying it.

It struck me as the entire point of it was to make it strategic to split your "META" squad up. Let's take two guys for example...one puts his CLS, Thrawn, and GK into one uber squad. The other splits them up and uses each as the backbone of a really good squad.

So now each of those guys has to fight 3x...if you can win 3/3 by splitting up that one uber squad vs winning 1/3 by keeping them together and losing the other two...whats the better move?

They're basically just trying to make it so this mode doesn't turn into fighting with/against the same squads used for arena every day. If it turned into just fighting through an army of CLS and GK/ZBarriss squads every day, people would complain non stop, so it seems like they were actually smart enough to try to avoid that.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Ztyle wrote: »

I'm buying it.

It struck me as the entire point of it was to make it strategic to split your "META" squad up. Let's take two guys for example...one puts his CLS, Thrawn, and GK into one uber squad. The other splits them up and uses each as the backbone of a really good squad.

So now each of those guys has to fight 3x...if you can win 3/3 by splitting up that one uber squad vs winning 1/3 by keeping them together and losing the other two...whats the better move?

They're basically just trying to make it so this mode doesn't turn into fighting with/against the same squads used for arena every day. If it turned into just fighting through an army of CLS and GK/ZBarriss squads every day, people would complain non stop, so it seems like they were actually smart enough to try to avoid that.

There's nothing to prevent the defence isn't the same team 15 times
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Actually really excited about this! Good call on limiting a winning squad to one battle as well as only making toons limited to either offense or defense. Will players focus more on offense or defense? Do you earn more points for successfully defending or attacking? This has lots of potential. +1
  • So I need to be in a guild of at least 25 members to participate? Sadness ._.
  • Looks interesting. I'm very excited to see how it plays.
This discussion has been closed.