Help Me Out Squad Composition

Hey everyone, trying to figure out which way I should go. Which characters I should focus on and roll with...etc. I've attached my profile. Don't have any 7 stars yet. Maybe that should be my focus. I've basically just been getting characters I like and going from there. I don't know what my lineup should be to maximize my characters.

https://swgoh.gg/u/freedomfrom/

Replies

• It seems you already have some resistance characters and I would go for that if I were you
  • There is no one best team.

Different teams for different goals.

First - what are your goals?
  • There is no one best team.

Different teams for different goals.

First - what are your goals?
    Well i'd like to be able to do all the events. Right now I can't because I don't have enough characters at 7 stars. So maybe I should just focus on that first?

Are there any tips on how to quickly farm characters that you need for events? Like right now the Emperor's Demise event, I only have 2/5 5-star characters. And only 1/5 6-star. And before I can even get all those other characters up to 5 star a new event will start making me have to start over on a new batch that I need to get at least 3 characters up to 5 star...etc.
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Are there any tips on how to quickly farm characters that you need for events?

And only 1/5 6-star. And before I can even get all those other characters up to 5 star a new event will start making me have to start over on a new batch that I need to get at least 3 characters up to 5 star...etc.

Firstly there aren't any tips really - to farm characters you have two options - either spend time, or spend money. These are the only two ways to farm.

Secondly, it's about priorities and planning. The events come thick and fast...effectively encouraging you to panic farm. A lot of people solve this panic-farming issue by paying money. Which is the aim of the game's owners - to get people to spend. So, if you're not prepared to then you have to prioritise and plan. Look ahead, use this board to listen to the chatter to see what's coming in the future, and don't worry about upcoming events that you won't feasibly be able to farm in time (unless you want to pay).

Example - I really want Thrawn. So everything is going into farming Phoenix. During this time I will miss events. So be it. Try and be single-minded towards your goal.

• Are there any tips on how to quickly farm characters that you need for events?

And only 1/5 6-star. And before I can even get all those other characters up to 5 star a new event will start making me have to start over on a new batch that I need to get at least 3 characters up to 5 star...etc.

Firstly there aren't any tips really - to farm characters you have two options - either spend time, or spend money. These are the only two ways to farm.

Secondly, it's about priorities and planning. The events come thick and fast...effectively encouraging you to panic farm. A lot of people solve this panic-farming issue by paying money. Which is the aim of the game's owners - to get people to spend. So, if you're not prepared to then you have to prioritise and plan. Look ahead, use this board to listen to the chatter to see what's coming in the future, and don't worry about upcoming events that you won't feasibly be able to farm in time (unless you want to pay).

Example - I really want Thrawn. So everything is going into farming Phoenix. During this time I will miss events. So be it. Try and be single-minded towards your goal.

Yeah I'm hearing a lot of people go after Thrawn so maybe i'll do that. Thanks for the info. Very appreciated.
  • Set a goal (or maybe later- two) and farm single-mindedly for them. Don't be thrown off course by other things. Focus and be strong.

• Noob question. What is zeta?
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I'll say that you need to first get someone to 7 stars, then find a guild that's running heroic rancor (if you aren't in one already). Even as a new player, it's probably more advantageous to come in last in a heroic rancor than first in a lower tier. That lower level gear you can easily request from experienced guildmates.

Build a team around a synergy, which is often a faction. For example, Rebels work great under a Wedge lead (especially if you have Biggs; he's a quick GW farm, and his ship is great). Try to get a few damage dealers, a support (maybe for healing/cleansing/buffing/debuffing), and a tank (except in early LS/cantina battles, where tanks are still too weak and may end up costing you three stars). So with what you have, you might think about a squad like Wedge (L), Biggs, Fulcrum Ahsoka, Chirrut, and Old Ben. (Speaking of synergy, Fulcrum Ahsoka here benefits from the buffs that Biggs and Chirrut can give.)

Prioritize someone from each farming location and generally work on them until they're 7*. Who are you farming from the guild shop? Cantina nodes? Cantina shipments? Arena? GW? Hard nodes?

Like everyone, you need credits. You've got a lot of leveling to do, and your mods need leveling. Prioritize getting a scoundrel team strong enough to complete the highest level credit/droid heist available. A lot of scoundrels have almost no end-game value (Greedo, Zam, Chewie just aren't going to be viable long-term, as the game stands now), so try to eventually work on ones that will: Boba and StHan are good choices. Lando is good (but will compete with Wedge for farming). Captain Han Solo will become important when you do territory battles.

If you want to do well at raids, you'll probably need to keep working on Teebo, Jyn, Phasma/Fives, and TIE Fighter Pilot until you get to other options.

If you'd like legendary characters (GM Yoda, Palpatine, R2, BB-8, Thrawn, CLS), think about the teams you'll need for those. Some toons have more than one faction tag and can do double duty: Lando and StHan are scoundrels and rebels, so they help with credit heist and Palpatine (and StHan is needed for CLS); Phoenix Squadron are rebels, so they can get you both Thrawn and Palpatine).

If it would help to have a general idea of which toons have long-term viability and which are a waste of resources, AhnoldT101's ranking table will give you a good idea: https://hydra314.github.io/SWGOH_ranking_table/ranking_tables/rankingtable.html . But know that it favors versatile standalone toons that can fit anywhere. Some niche toons still have good value: Hoth Rebel Scout and Soldier are needed for TB; K2 can be good with Cassian or a RO squad; Jedi Consular is awful in battles but has a pretty good ship. But in general, you can get a feel for who is worth investing in and who isn't. (Bodhi, JKG, Zam, Greedo, Chewie, and IG100 are just bad toons right now. I wouldn't invest more in them.)

Farming guides abound, but make sure they're up to date.

Finally, though there's a lot of great advice around, if you just want to have fun, then farming who you like isn't the worst strategy as long as you have a few bases covered (a scoundrel squad, a rebel team, a rancor team, etc.). Many toons that are super good now or are required for something were once garbage (Boba, Kylo, Finn, Biggs, Barriss, etc.). And when they became good, everyone who already had them had the last laugh while the rest of us caught up. So if there's a character you love, go for it, and someday they just may well be good or necessary.
    Post edited by gufu21 on
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Noob question. What is zeta?

When you hit level 80, you'll be able to get omega mats. You can use these (3 or 5, depending on the ability) to upgrade many abilities to level 8, which is usually a big boost or even an added ability (QGJ, for example, instantly becomes a good rancor toon once you put an omega on his basic.)

Zetas are the next level up of ability material. Many characters have level 8 abilities that require 20 zeta mats. These abilities are often total game changers. Some create an amazing squad out of thin air: Finn and resistance are nothing special until you put a zeta on Finn's leadership—then they become beasts that will tear through GW, TB, and many arena teams on offense (provided you also have Poe and Resistance Trooper).

But zetas are awfully slow to get. You need to get five 4* DS ships to get 5* executrix so you can unlock the zeta ability challenge. Then the drop rate is so slow that it may take you a couple months to get 20 of them. So they're rare, but often amazing. (But beware the occasional super lame zeta ability.)
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Noob question. What is zeta?

Zetas are a special kind of ability material required to take some character abilities to level 8. These are usually much more powerful upgrades than omega abilities.

Zetas are acquired through a ship challenge (requires 5* ships and 5* Executrix). They can also be purchased in fleet shipments starting at level 81.
  • Dang thanks guys. Loads of helpful info.
  • gufu21 wrote: »
    If it would help to have a general idea of which toons have long-term viability and which are a waste of resources, AhnoldT101's ranking table will give you a good idea: https://hydra314.github.io/SWGOH_ranking_table/ranking_tables/rankingtable.html . But know that it favors versatile standalone toons that can fit anywhere. Some niche toons still have good value: Hoth Rebel Scout and Soldier are needed for TB; K2 can be good with Cassian or a RO squad; Jedi Consular is awful in battles but has a pretty good ship. But in general, you can get a feel for who is worth investing in and who isn't. (Bodhi, JKG, Zam, Greedo, Chewie, and IG100 are just bad toons right now. I wouldn't invest more in them.)
    Thats a real good guide, but it hasn't been updated with unmasked Kylo Ren yet. Wonder where he'd be on this.
  • M_L
    469 posts Member
    at your level, make sure you can do the credit heist at the highest tier first. boba, lando, sthan are musts. Plus these guys will likely help you at this relatively early stage of you swgoh life.
  • go rex barris ezra for now + 2 dmg dealers, ask again when you understand the team - you need to farm rex and baris on the side of phoenix squad for thrawn, then replace them gradualy. Rex lead is the best you can do right now
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I've basically just been getting characters I like and going from there.

That's what I thought. You have a lot for 4*—5* characters but you haven't really develop any of them to their full potential. However, you have a bit to build on:

Your 5* Wedge is a quite goid damage dealer. If you farm Lando from cantina battles and Biggs from hard nodes and GW store, you have a pretty solid base for a starting arena team and since they are all rebels, they will help you get Emperor Palpatine. Boba Fett has ok gear. Keep farming his hard nodes and from cantina store. He makes a great addition. For the last spot you can choose from several different Rebel options:
    ST Han, Ezra, Admiral Ackbar, Old Ben, R2D2 etc. 4 of them benefit from having more than 1 affiliation, while Ackbar is also a fleet commander (the weakest of the 4, however).
    To get R2D2 you will need at least 5 empire characters. Emperor palpatine, Royal Guard, Tarkin, TFP and Darth Vader make a good team. Farm them all to at least 5*.

It's imperative that you collect a scoundrel team strong enough for doing the top tier credit heist events. Those credits ate really needed.
    Chewbacca is fine at 5*, but he needs gear 7 for the top tier of the event. Boba and Lando are MVPs. ST Han is great due to his rebel tag as well as well as his viability in the arena at your level and ranks.

This can be a good next step for you.

• I'd recommend farming Phoenix Squad. They get you rebels for Palp, Phoenix for Thrawn, and 2/5 Jedi for Yoda.
  • I'd recommend farming Phoenix Squad. They get you rebels for Palp, Phoenix for Thrawn, and 2/5 Jedi for Yoda.