Galactic War since the Introduction of G12

Prev13
Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited November 2017
I have been playing since November of 2015 (almost two years - basically a few days after launch). Galactic War had been one of my favorite parts of the game. It was like a puzzle that you needed to use much of your roster (often 3-4 teams) to solve.

All of that changed with the introduction of G12. As the developers have stated on these forums, G12 is a significant upgrade over previous gear tiers. The huge bumps in damage, health, armor, etc. for G12 give G12 teams a significant advantage over non-G12 teams.

I have exactly 4 heroes to G12 - some even have pieces of g12. In GW I face full 5-team g12 teams starting on node 6. How is this possible? How am I expected to compete on any kind of regular basis without spending hours retreating and re-trying? Everyday? Non G12 heroes are useless - they get one shot, two almost no damage (if they get to go at all).

What makes matters more annoying, is not just how long and arduous GW is now - but how mundane. I beat a full g12 5 person meta team on node 6...only to face the same team on node 7...and node 8....and again on node 9....on node 10, I'll get a minor variation (DN isntead of Thrawn) - but all 5 g12 maxed and modded to the teeth. Rinse. Repeat.

Before continually releasing new characters, and beta testing new game modes can you please at least look at this broken mess of content?

The time sink that GW has become compared to the paltry rewards, are completely out of balance with anything else in the game - and it's not close.

It is clearly broken. Please fix it.
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• How are you supposed to compete? Well, farm resistance. People are way too opposed to farming them for some reason, and if you played since launch it's not wrong to say you should already have them.
  • How are you supposed to compete? Well, farm resistance. People are way too opposed to farming them for some reason, and if you played since launch it's not wrong to say you should already have them.

So GW has gone from a test of your entire roster depth to a check to see if you have Resistance? Seriously?

Sorry - then devs, please rename the content "Resistance War" TIA. :eyeroll:
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Do you want to complete it or do you want to wait for them to "fix" it?

Because only one is likely.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    How are you supposed to compete? Well, farm resistance. People are way too opposed to farming them for some reason, and if you played since launch it's not wrong to say you should already have them.

So GW has gone from a test of your entire roster depth to a check to see if you have Resistance? Seriously?

Sorry - then devs, please rename the content "Resistance War" TIA. :eyeroll:

I use a lot of teams just for fun on gw, but if I need to complete a hard node (6,9,10) I use resistance or my arena team.

For the rest I use empire, rogue one, phoenix, or whatever team I want to try. If you can't complete it, don't look for excuses and build a team that actually can, while enjoying the other nodes
  • The problem is not GW. The problem is gear. Before, you could slowly make several teams max gear or close to it. Now, getting a single team to a minimum (gear 8-9) is almost impossible: lots of different teams are required for lots of events, the gear needed is harder and harder to get (compare gear 8-9 on old toons like Fives and on new toons like the Phoenix team, and you'll see what I mean), new toons are released constantly, which makes it harder to gear them (some immediately needed for events, like the veterans will be for new Rey or phoenix were for Thrawn when they were released), etc.
    The thing is, before you could have 2 or 3 teams close to max level and you could play with strategies to complete the GW with them. Now, you can only have your arena team and 1 or 2 solitary toons. And the problem is CG is indirectly saying that they want this problem to grow worse.
  • RevanComingSoon
    333 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    The problem is not GW. The problem is gear. Before, you could slowly make several teams max gear or close to it. Now, getting a single team to a minimum (gear 8-9) is almost impossible: lots of different teams are required for lots of events, the gear needed is harder and harder to get (compare gear 8-9 on old toons like Fives and on new toons like the Phoenix team, and you'll see what I mean), new toons are released constantly, which makes it harder to gear them (some immediately needed for events, like the veterans will be for new Rey or phoenix were for Thrawn when they were released), etc.
    The thing is, before you could have 2 or 3 teams close to max level and you could play with strategies to complete the GW with them. Now, you can only have your arena team and 1 or 2 solitary toons. And the problem is CG is indirectly saying that they want this problem to grow worse.

To add, you can take a character's gear level from 1-10 from the time it takes to go from 10-12 so where before you could make a squad in a month or so, now for them to help in GW it takes 2-3 months for them to be helpful
  • So to get 3 gear 12 teams , easily 9 months to a year ftp before you can beat gw easily again like pre g12
  • Not sure why you feel the need to be a Negative Nancy and shovel misinformation. Just like everything else in this game, GW can be beaten if you have the right tools and have developed your roster with that goal in mind. If you choose to ignore a set of tools that are proven to be effective in the current GW scheme, then you can only direct the complaints at yourself.
    There was a time when Emperor Palpatine lead was the key to breezing through GW. Droids also had a golden era. Now is the time for Resistance.
    They are very good in other game modes as well. Just get a zeta Finn and profit from it.
  • The problem is not GW. The problem is gear. Before, you could slowly make several teams max gear or close to it. Now, getting a single team to a minimum (gear 8-9) is almost impossible: lots of different teams are required for lots of events, the gear needed is harder and harder to get (compare gear 8-9 on old toons like Fives and on new toons like the Phoenix team, and you'll see what I mean), new toons are released constantly, which makes it harder to gear them (some immediately needed for events, like the veterans will be for new Rey or phoenix were for Thrawn when they were released), etc.

To add, you can take a character's gear level from 1-10 from the time it takes to go from 10-12 so where before you could make a squad in a month or so, now for them to help in GW it takes 2-3 months for them to be helpful

Agreed. I also forgot to say that events now have higher gear and level requirements, which takes away time from developing useful teams. For example, Yoda was very easy with level 70 gear 7, but I needed lots of retries for Thrawn with all my team level 85 gear 9.
  • GW is broken. It is supposed to be a test of roster depth and breadth, meaning you can use a number of any maxed or almost maxed teams to beat it. It should not be a check of whether you have a resistance team and/or a meta team.
    I can beat it because i have a resistance team(G10 average) and a GK/barris/R2/DN/Thrawn team(G12).
  • I’d say that every part of this game isn’t about test your roster, but rather have a specific set of teams to accomplish the goal. Some modes with more leeway than others.

HAAT, not a test your roster so much as do you have the best teams.

RANCOR, best team

ARENA top meta teams

GW is no different.

Where they are really placing a test on your roster is this TW @Nikoms565 you should be really excited about this if you want to be testing your roster.
  • Shoot Nik, if you hadn’t already seen it written in the stars since March, you want Resistance. For various assault battles, HAAT, GW, TB. For a hell of a lot of fun play time.

The latest constellation written to be added was that showing of TW and the advantage that Res might end up getting.

Trust me Nik, you want Res. Not even just because they are the most versatile team in the game. You may not like the characters for whatever reason, or maybe you don’t like them just because you don’t like being forced to play something. But if you can get past that and not look at them as new characters but rather see them as new tools, they are a Lot of fun to play with.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I was beating GW for months without a single loss before I got zFinn. I built up my bench, TM loaded, and most importantly, avoided growing my arena team too powerful at the expense of the rest of my roster.
  • Not sure why you feel the need to be a Negative Nancy and shovel misinformation. Just like everything else in this game, GW can be beaten if you have the right tools and have developed your roster with that goal in mind. If you choose to ignore a set of tools that are proven to be effective in the current GW scheme, then you can only direct the complaints at yourself.
    There was a time when Emperor Palpatine lead was the key to breezing through GW. Droids also had a golden era. Now is the time for Resistance.
    They are very good in other game modes as well. Just get a zeta Finn and profit from it.

There's no need to accuse me off shoveling misinformation. Everything I posted above is factual. You can look at my swgoh.gg profile - I only have 4 g12 toons, and mt GP is higher than yours by almost 200k, so my roster is deeper as well.

Yes, I realize Resistance is the current "cure" - but that's never what GW had been nor presented to be about.

• @Nikoms565 hey. May I ask which 4 you have g12 and who you have zeta on?

I use the same team each day and only the same team each day to defeat gw: thrawn (l), ep, r2, gk and mt. Before I had mt, I'd use dt instead and he preformed well.

When it comes to gw, if not tm freezing enemies with resistance, you will need protection regen. zThrawn lead is exceptional for this. 40% on his command and a passive 2% from each status effect coming and going.

I'm just curious who you choose to use to beat an endurance challenge?

That all being said, I do think they should consider revising the power levels to reflect zetas and g12 gears. I'm pretty sure those are not valued enough.
  • You don’t ‘need’ Resistance to clear GW easily. It’s a very very easy cure if you want but an advanced roster can clear it all the same. At any rate, with an advanced roster like yours, you should be actively trying to break Node 11. When you only need to play 10/12 GW nodes daily, QOL goes up significantly.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Not sure why you feel the need to be a Negative Nancy and shovel misinformation. Just like everything else in this game, GW can be beaten if you have the right tools and have developed your roster with that goal in mind. If you choose to ignore a set of tools that are proven to be effective in the current GW scheme, then you can only direct the complaints at yourself.

There's no need to accuse me off shoveling misinformation ...

Yes ... quite so. Perhaps keep that in mind.
  • Not sure why people attack each other over GW.
    There can be feedback good and bad for any part of the game. GW is my favorite part of the game. But there is a major issue with G12 and GW in my opinion. I usually don't comment on the GW hate but this one I thought was specific enough to be good feedback for devs.
  • Nebulous wrote: »
    @Nikoms565 hey. May I ask which 4 you have g12 and who you have zeta on?

I use the same team each day and only the same team each day to defeat gw: thrawn (l), ep, r2, gk and mt. Before I had mt, I'd use dt instead and he preformed well.

When it comes to gw, if not tm freezing enemies with resistance, you will need protection regen. zThrawn lead is exceptional for this. 40% on his command and a passive 2% from each status effect coming and going.

I'm just curious who you choose to use to beat an endurance challenge?

That all being said, I do think they should consider revising the power levels to reflect zetas and g12 gears. I'm pretty sure those are not valued enough.

My 4 g12 are CLS, R2, Raid Han and GK. I have Zetas on CLS (both), 1 on R2, and 1 on Raid Han.

Typically, I will try to get Thrawn + Shoretrooper a run with whoever lost the most protection in node 6 (usually RHan or R2). I have also had to swap in Zylo for GK in nodes 9-11 when things get rough or GK has taken too much damage. Just today, I had lost all of the above by node 11 and had to basically go 1 team to take down 1 character (luckily, I recently got Chaze to g11 and had Leia zetad, so some Daka stun magic and those three were able to do enough to finally take down a maxed CLS).

Basically, I am offering the above feedback because I agree with your final sentence. My eldest plays as well (he started a few months after me) and before he had any zetas at all, he was facing multi-zetad teams in GW. The same happened to him with g12 toons. Before there were zetas and g12, GW worked fine - but it is clearly "out of tune" now. Whatever the algorithm that was used 2 years ago (or even a year ago) is no longer valid, as it seems to ramp up the difficulty too high, for too many nodes when compared to GW pre-zeta and pre G12.

• GW is in a terrible spot right now and INCREDIBLY boring. I have had the exact same teams on Node 12 for ages now, and I simply cannot beat them.

1-10 are all a bull breeze through pathetic teams, 11 is actually a good challenge sometimes (other times impossible, others another breeze), 12 is mathematically impossible. I have tried readying every team I possibly could and going into it with my arena team (which sits around 100 in arena), and every single one died. It is literally impossible for me to beat node 12, but the time it would take me to get a meta team would be so incredibly long that it would no longer be good enough to clear through whatever super-team they introduce next.

And the thing that annoys me most is how many G12 teams I meet. I do not have a SINGLE G12 character (hell, I've only got half a dozen or so G11s), yet at least 4 of the nodes I get will have at least 1, with 6, 11, and 12 being almost certainly full G12. G12 does not have even nearly the effect on character power that it should have.

And don't tell me to farm Resistance. I already am, and I hate that I have to. GW should be doable for someone with a good roster, with G12 being very difficult, but ultimately beatable if you use the old GW tricks. As it stands, it's basically a question of 'do you have a top-tier meta team that can get in the top 10 of arena?' or 'do you have a really good Resistance team?'. That is BORING, and why I rarely even bother to complete it unless it's the guild daily.
  • ProximaB1_
    1093 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    The thing that I believe recked gw. Is gear 12 and cls at the same time. Everyone that got cls put him in there arena squad and geared him to 12. With every 6,11,12 nodes being gear 12 only. The only squads to meet them are cls squads. If they wouldve released gear 12 without cls. Players would have differing gear 12 squad comps. Wouldn't be 3 maxed cls squads.
  • I have a g12 CLS, I have a full g11 Resistance.

Fighting the same CLS team over and over again is incredibly boring even if I do beat it.

It took me 4-5 months to farm Resistance and while it makes GW very easy I'm not one of those "it's not my problem, therefore there is no problem" people.

GW is definitely messed up. Whether it's full teams of G12 or ridiculous speed mods with no easy way to change your own mods from team to team.

The calculations are very messed up and I feel for players who are struggling with the same roadblock day after day.
  • So true. I have 13 G12 toons and good teams I was previously advised to gear up for GW but can't make a dent in GW. I hate the daily grind. I know I am working on Resistance, all 7* good mods and gear but still improving. My next Zeta reluctantly will go on Finn because that is the only wY Resistance is supposed to do good in GW. They don't last one round now so it better help. By the time I get them there, I feel it will all change to something else.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I understand the frustration around GW, but I do feel the need to point out, the gold ring does not full g12 make.

Closing g11 and having all 3 g12 pieces is the big jump they talk about. Closing g11 is actually not that much of a boost.

Does this clarity make GW any easier, no, but I did want to point that out because at node 6 you are not facing 5 toons with g11 closed and all g12 gear applied.

As far as the statements about resistance, I used to think like you did that a full test of your roster meant you would be using multiple teams, but think about this, as you grow and gain in this game GW evolves (we know this, because we see new teams ad things get harder). Back in the day it does mean multiple toons, but now the "newer" definition in your current situation means a broad roster not just a number of toons. This is what I love about GW, there is no 1 key thing that makes it doable. We used to be able to run it with ewoks, droids, daka and RG. There were many teams over the almost 2 years that were the key to GW. Resistance now holds that crown, but full rebel teams under CLS do put a slight damper on that since he will gain TM and have retribution.

I have been playing almost as long as you, and I too loved GW, and still do.

Tweaks and new ideas are always welcome, and this sub is full of them.

• Kyno, as usual, you are spot on, in regards to the fun of GW. And right now, it's like that for the first 5 nodes. Just today I ran my NS team on 3 & 4 just to try something different.

As you mentioned though, once node 6 hits, it's all CLS meta teams - so nothing less than arena-viable teams can hold up (and Resistance - which I am working on). I guess my frustration is that up until g12 was introduced, GW was a fun test of your entire roster - not just the first 5 nodes. But I will presume that no dev response in most of these threads indicates that it is WAI - and that's just a little disappointing.

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    No one ever talks about limiting the growth of your top 5 toons to fight this problem. I understand why - it's too late for some of you, and for others you don't want to give up on your top 20 arena ranking or whatever. But this is a game of compromises, and GW is one of those places you sometimes have to compromise. Maybe you give in and farm res. Maybe you don't take your arena team to G11 and you slide to 200 instead of 20. Or maybe you accept that you can't finish GW. But nah, no one likes to compromise. Complaining is much easier.
  • cannon_fodder
    269 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    @TVF Truly, one possible solution to 'solving' the GW problem is to have your top 5 toons stat power roughly equivalent to toon 31 thru 35. This is nonsensical on the surface and doesn't really solve your problem, considering that the comp you get on your hardest node could wipe out all seven of those similar powered teams.

The issue at hand is that enhancements made to the game since GW was introduced have rendered the matching algorithm unfair in some scenarios. This is made worse by the lack of developer response to some of these concerns.

For example, I have an account with an arena team power of 73k GP - small compared to my shard mates, but effective (thank you Thrawn and speed mods) 4 G11, 1 G10, no zetas. I use a lower powered Resistance team (with a Zeta, but all G8, not well modded and only sometimes gets through node 6) to start off GW. These are the two teams upon which GW is based. Last Node 12 - 95k 4 G12 4 Zeta meta-squad with an average of +80 speed per toon. The matching algorithm is busted. It's not 'intended' in any way. It's simply unfair and not fun.

We don't complain because we dislike the game. We complain because we love it and want it to be the best it can be. GW currently is not that.

edit: fixed squad gear level
  • @TVF Truly, one possible solution to 'solving' the GW problem is to have your top 5 toons stat power roughly equivalent to toon 31 thru 35. This is nonsensical on the surface and doesn't really solve your problem, considering that the comp you get on your hardest node could wipe out all seven of those similar powered teams.

The issue at hand is that enhancements made to the game since GW was introduced have rendered the matching algorithm unfair in some scenarios. This is made worse by the lack of developer response to some of these concerns.

For example, I have an account with an arena team power of 73k GP - small compared to my shard mates, but effective (thank you Thrawn and speed mods) 4 G11, 1 G10, no zetas. I use a lower powered Resistance team (with a Zeta, but all G8, not well modded and only sometimes gets through node 6) to start off GW. These are the two teams upon which GW is based. Last Node 12 - 95k 4 G12 4 Zeta meta-squad with an average of +80 speed per toon. The matching algorithm is busted. It's not 'intended' in any way. It's simply unfair and not fun.

We don't complain because we dislike the game. We complain because we love it and want it to be the best it can be. GW currently is not that.

edit: fixed squad gear level

This guys gets it.

@TVF - as cannon fodder points out above - and I mentioned in my examples of my son's issues in GW, the problem isn't limiting your top 5 (as my son has, and still runs into unbeatable teams with many more g12 and zetas than he has). The issue is that Zetas and g12 gear (not just gold circles for finishing g11) are not adequately accounted for in whatever algorithm is used for GW matchmaking. I would be willing to bet a significant amount of crystals that the algorithm hasn't changed - but the disparity in teams with zetas/g12 compared to those without is so great, that the old algorithm ramps up the opposing teams too quickly. At least compared to anyone that doesn't have several g12/multi-zeta'd teams waiting in the wings.

And since the developers likely do not play GW everyday - or might not have an "average" roster, what you reduce to and dismiss as complaining is what is called "feedback" - hence I posted it in the feedback section.

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Ok fair enough. I don't see those meta teams yet and I'm positive that limiting the growth of my arena team has helped based on the matchmaking system the devs have confirmed is in place. Perhaps by the time I reach end-game they'll have fixed it. ;)
  • Not that I disagree with the OP or the mundane GW issues but there are pages and pages upon pages of “Fix Galactic War” threads in the GW feedback section. Ongoing for years and not a single thing has been done to fix it. These feedback sections are a joke. The players give feedback and receive zero feedback on their feedback in return. I guess I’m saying I don’t see why they would change it now when they have been ignoring complaints on GW for the last year.