Thoughts on new update - nerfs and buffs

This update is bittersweet in my opinion. The game just changed by a mile, and in my opinion there are good things about what just happened, and bad ones too.

Positives:

They're pumping out new content, and it seems like they will continue doing so. This is fantastic. I love this game so far and would hate to see it stagnate.

They're listening to their userbase. This is also fantastic! Many developers couldn't care less what their playerbase has to say. Many of the changes they just instituted are obviously a direct result of the whinging and carrying on here in the forums. You may not like what just happened, but at least they're listening.

They're not afraid to shake things up. The meta just flipped on its head. This keeps things interesting, although obviously it can be a double edged sword.

Negatives:

Massive nerf to a premium character they just sold to people for $50. This is scummy. It's their game and they can handle it however they want, but gutting something you just sold to people for a large sum of money is a **** move.

This sets a really bad precedent. Selling a premium package then nerfing it WILL discourage people from buying anything from you in the future. It's a breach of trust, and people are justifiably ticked off.

Overbalance. Plain and simple. My father used to tell me to make small adjustments until you get it right, whatever it is. This was not a small adjustment, this was the pendulum getting whiplashed the other way.

I was one of the people that bought the Bariss pack. I'm not happy, as she is now close to useless. Not completely useless, but pretty close. Also, the people that relied on jedi based teams are about to get their innards handed to them. Shaking things up is good in the long run, but we're about to witness a tsunami of **** from people whose jedi squads are now easy prey to sith teams.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new characters play out though. I can tell already that Kylo will be a beast, I'm curious about Phasma and the others.

Replies

• update is fine. everyone who is complaining about paying for bariss is kinda lame. when you buy a character for real money, your not buying an op character. your buying the character to have right now rather than farming or rolling crystals in game. the nerfs/buffs today seem ok.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    update is fine. everyone who is complaining about paying for bariss is kinda lame. when you buy a character for real money, your not buying an op character. your buying the character to have right now rather than farming or rolling crystals in game. the nerfs/buffs today seem ok.

You are missing the point. I agree that just because you pay for something doesn't mean it should never be balanced however I do agree that they hit Bariss too hard. I never cried if my opponent had Bariss and in GW it was actually a blessing. :)
  • I still think Bariss is useful. I grabbed her from an ally and Lumi is my leader. all the pre-turn healing really helped a lot and i thought for fun i'd face her a couple times in Squad and she still healed pretty well.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    She is very useful in GW. In PvP? A healer who only heals most chars for less than 1000 health at level 54, with a 5-turn cooldown and no other special moves?
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Time
    293 posts Member
    Ok so there are lots of jedi counters, now where are the sith counters? Dooku and sid were always popular and strong and I'm just starting to see vader and he has been owning me. Now we get kylo ren... But no one seems to get bonus vs them. Seems like a fundamental flaw in the rock paper scissor counter strategy.
  • I think the main negative that I'm taking away from this is the bad precedent being set for nerfing premium items that were just on sale. It's their prerogative to do so, but if they keep doing it on a regular basis it will definitely discourage people from buying things from them.

Take a look at Kylo Ren. You can easily make the argument (and many will in the coming weeks) that he's too powerful and also needs a nerf. I may actually agree with that, time will tell I guess. But what happens if they nerf him in two weeks after another load of people shell out money for him during the sale now? Putting OP characters on sale then slicing them down after the sale is over is a bad path to walk down.

I don't think the developers are trying for shady tactics here though. It seems to me that they're doing their best to flesh out a top notch game. I really hope they're more cautious with their decisions in re-balancing, though...
  • update is fine. everyone who is complaining about paying for bariss is kinda lame. when you buy a character for real money, your not buying an op character. your buying the character to have right now rather than farming or rolling crystals in game. the nerfs/buffs today seem ok.

Why would anyone forgo farming (too long) or rolling crystals (too unreliable) if not to get a hero who is "good" or "promising" or "OP"? How many heroes are worth it to pay now and forgo such farming and rolling crystals? Not many, I'd say.

It's like saying players are "willing" to forgo farming or rolling crystals to pay real money to get Tarkin. He's good, but it's up to the players to decide whether they want to purchase him.

But if Ima Gun Di or Lando is on sale for $50, perhaps people will buy them...based on the fact that Lando is pretty good with his AOE ability and Gun Di has a very good Leader ability. And to have them diminished in 2 weeks? Come on, how is it "kinda lame"?

• I dont mind change. I had 4/5 jedis, including barriss and old ben. The changes impact that a squad significantly. However, now i get to start focusing on my up-and-coming team, which im excited about.
    What i see this update did was release like 8 new characters to farm for that all appear to be rather obtainable, nerf the top of the meta, and reinforce that nerf by buffing extreme counters (maul and sid). Essentually, a month into global release, and after longterm goals start coming together, they yanked the rug out from under it and basically said... everyone restart from here. This change could be a good move in that their playerbase is still on a stark incline as people discover the game and become new players. As it was before, with softlaunch insight, and after a month of collecting, you started seeing a power lock of the same heroes all at the same gear and level. Outside of that bonus, its horrible for the game community as we can now EXPECT this type of move once a month.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • I love this update..now i am more willing to use my DM.
  • This upsets people that did spend. And most will have to spend now on the lateat OP trending characters. EA has it right and whinera with miney WILL spend. And the F2P or wallet warriors, nothing has changed, your pain may now be Ken, Or Barbie Trooper. There's always something new. The challenge for EA is keeping the balance intact. If you suddenly have a very competitve set, and they nerf you down to "squishy always-losing" then, that will spell irreparable doom and people will quit. It's game balancing, and EA has introduced too many chars at once, and in tree weeks we are going to see what happens. But remember, the only frustrating thing is Arena. In all other places, you compete in ways that do not involve a trade off with any other player. Who cares if one person can finish GW with less effort, so long as your team is still working well in GW?
  • One thing i was disappointed with the update was the lack of implementation of healers. So far arena i only see JC, Lumi, Barris and some Daka....too few variety in my opinion and i thought they might have a new healer coming out this update.
  • True, dark side could definitely use another healer. There's a lot of options, too, if they use KOTOR characters.

A rather ignorant and naive post. They knowingly made a character OP to get sales and once sales were done, they nerfed her. Then released another OP character. It's a scam.
  • This update is bittersweet in my opinion. The game just changed by a mile, and in my opinion there are good things about what just happened, and bad ones too. I was one of the people that bought the Bariss pack. I'm not happy, as she is now close to useless. Not completely useless, but pretty close. Also, the people that relied on jedi based teams are about to get their innards handed to them. Shaking things up is good in the long run, but we're about to witness a tsunami of **** from people whose jedi squads are now easy prey to sith teams.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new characters play out though. I can tell already that Kylo will be a beast, I'm curious about Phasma and the others.

I can see the discontent and confusion in the Arena players right now. On most typical days as with everyone else, between Arena play times I usually drop in position on average about 50-100 places and today, I have not dropped one position at all, first time and this is telling. This upgrade has taken the attention away from the game for a moment, probably not permanently but it certainly put a damper on my competition and almost all of them were working with Bariss with Sidious the clear second place and it shows today. My non-Bariss team is effectively more powerful today than yesterday because I'm sure others must have played against me, maybe the Bariss nerf is really worse than I thought. Comments anyone???

• Take a look at Kylo Ren. You can easily make the argument (and many will in the coming weeks) that he's too powerful and also needs a nerf. I may actually agree with that, time will tell I guess. But what happens if they nerf him in two weeks after another load of people shell out money for him during the sale now? Putting OP characters on sale then slicing them down after the sale is over is a bad path to walk down.

I wonder if they swung too far away from what you described with Kylo ren.

Having played with Kylo ren a little, I'm underwhelmed. His basic attack is super weak--like on par with tanks, and even less than some tanks.

His aoe does about the same. His single target special is decent (about on par with other average attackers).

His cooldown reset only happens ~35% of the time.

I wonder if they were gunshy after bariss and didn't want to make him too op right away.

*disclaimer--I only put him up to gear lvl 5 and ability level 4s
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • Rheen wrote: »
    I wonder if they swung too far away from what you described with Kylo ren.

Having played with Kylo ren a little, I'm underwhelmed. His basic attack is super weak--like on par with tanks, and even less than some tanks.

His aoe does about the same. His single target special is decent (about on par with other average attackers).

His cooldown reset only happens ~35% of the time.

I wonder if they were gunshy after bariss and didn't want to make him too op right away.

*disclaimer--I only put him up to gear lvl 5 and ability level 4s

Hmm that's interesting. He is labeled as an "attacker" character, isn't he? I'm a bit surprised that his attack power is that low, but it makes sense considering how strong his AOE skill would be otherwise.

I figured with the lack of a leadership skill and the attacker designation he would be a harder hitter than that. Maybe you're right, and they didn't want to nerf a sale character again down the road.

• Hmm that's interesting. He is labeled as an "attacker" character, isn't he? I'm a bit surprised that his attack power is that low, but it makes sense considering how strong his AOE skill would be otherwise.

I figured with the lack of a leadership skill and the attacker designation he would be a harder hitter than that. Maybe you're right, and they didn't want to nerf a sale character again down the road.

Yes, he is labeled as an attacker. That's why I was surprised at his high health and lowish basic attack.

Looking at his components, it's like there is just one piece missing to make him worthwhile.

Maybe there is some synergy we haven't thought of yet or hasn't been released yet.
    Guide to Beating Galactic War from Team Instinct
    TeamInstinct.net -- Community Site and Home to Team Instinct
  • billbob19 wrote: »
    update is fine. everyone who is complaining about paying for bariss is kinda lame. when you buy a character for real money, your not buying an op character. your buying the character to have right now rather than farming or rolling crystals in game. the nerfs/buffs today seem ok.

A rather ignorant and naive post. They knowingly made a character OP to get sales and once sales were done, they nerfed her. Then released another OP character. It's a scam.

I don't think you can prove that. First, there was a bug with her heal. Second, her initial testing might have shown that she was just fine, if not slightly more powerful. But, when they saw 9/10 top 10 players running her as the leader.. it might have changed their decision and caused them to modify (nerf) her.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    This update is bittersweet in my opinion. The game just changed by a mile, and in my opinion there are good things about what just happened, and bad ones too. I was one of the people that bought the Bariss pack. I'm not happy, as she is now close to useless. Not completely useless, but pretty close. Also, the people that relied on jedi based teams are about to get their innards handed to them. Shaking things up is good in the long run, but we're about to witness a tsunami of **** from people whose jedi squads are now easy prey to sith teams.

I can see the discontent and confusion in the Arena players right now. On most typical days as with everyone else, between Arena play times I usually drop in position on average about 50-100 places and today, I have not dropped one position at all, first time and this is telling. This upgrade has taken the attention away from the game for a moment, probably not permanently but it certainly put a damper on my competition and almost all of them were working with Bariss with Sidious the clear second place and it shows today. My non-Bariss team is effectively more powerful today than yesterday because I'm sure others must have played against me, maybe the Bariss nerf is really worse than I thought. Comments anyone???
    It's funny you mention this. I noticed the same thing. I went into the movies to watch Star Wars with a dead phone battery sitting at rank 2 with my Barriss absent Jedi Sister team thinking I would be easily knocked out of top ten by the time rewards swung around, but was surprised when I powered up my phone and got rank 2 reward. Spewing the battery died during battle for #1 lol.

I still haven't moved from there.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • The real people who got shafted are the people who relied on the resistance pilot....
  • Most are upset because they were Bariss Reliant teams. It's so fun slaying everyone in pvp now that rely on Bariss heal lol
    Can't beat POE and aren't willing to change strats to defeat him? Cry nerf lol
  • Drag wrote: »
    The real people who got shafted are the people who relied on the resistance pilot....

How much was the reduction in damage?
  • They fixed a bug, so I don't know. Resirance was already bad with no HP pool and hard to farm. Now it can only be worst. I don't knkw what the fixed really or what was meant by doing more damage. A char with no leader skill as squiahy and non farmable just made worst?
  • Dont cry about the barris nerf, you got your use out of her. I never had an issue with her either way but shes always been a good character with a good ability, exactly the type of healer you want. As the only F2p player on my server to consistently be in the top 10s, I can tell you all that you got your moneys worth and she is STILL VIABLE if you manage to promote her.

Get off your high horse already, she only lost a couple %. If you werent busy throwing money at the game and over leveling passed the point of being able to promote her with the rest of your team, you would realize shes still well above average.
  • SlyWalker wrote: »
    I love this update..now i am more willing to use my DM.

I love my Maul, only wish he was farmable. He's pretty squishy still too.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762