DSTB issue and response

Replies

• I think it is ridiculous to threaten players because of a bug that YOU (the devs) instilled in the game. No one is using software or altering the game in any way, they are simply using the game that YOU put forth. Personally, I don't have anything to worry about as I haven't done it, but please, enough with the weak threats. Also, most players aren't checking these forums on the hour. So, if you REALLY want to do something CONSTRUCTIVE about this latest "shipped show" that you call Dark Side Territory Battles; how about you cancel the whole thing to fix everything that's wrong with it (you might want to think about making it fun also, because it isn't right now) and start a Light Side TB instead of threatening the player community for using the (broken) content YOU provided us.
    Oh, and by the way, how about TRYING AND TESTING it before launch?? Not sure if you could've caught the bug by testing it, but you for sure could've caught the ridiculous difficulty and the wrong amounts of points awarded for battles.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    CMA97526 wrote: »
    Bottom line here: the reason we are in this mess at all is the fault of the devs. No offense or ill will, just stating the facts. Because of this, and the advantage some have and will gain by exploiting, the only reasonable way (that I can think of at least) is to equalize rewards. Whether they end it now or when it would normally be completed, that is the course of action they should take. I would personally prefer they end it now and start up a LS TB, but would understand if they want us to troubleshoot it a bit more for them first. :)

I agree with you, although I don't think it should be continued at this point at all as it will just continue to frustrate players and increase resentment. If they really want us as players to test it before releasing the final product then work on ironing out some bugs and release it in beta form like they did with territory wars. Equal rewards among all guilds or reward tiers based on guild GP would be the most fair way to do this in my opinion. The sooner this tb ends the better. They can continue to give us light side tb, which works very well until dark side is ready.
  • Devs need to take responsibility for their mistakes. End this mess of a tb now.
  • So the DS TB was obviously not ready. The difficulty and the calculation of points per combat wave are just two major issues for me. Since there are a plethora of other legitimate reasons this TB if fubar then let it end normally. Modify the rewards for the players that had to put up with this. (Max rewards would be fair). Then go after the obvious cheaters.
    I say max rewards because that’s what the cheaters are going for right? Nobody cheats to finish 2nd place.

Devs, own up to this one and get it right the next time. Don’t threaten a player base because it wasn’t done right the first time.

My 2cents
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Is the bug really so bad that it deserves a ban, or was that stated just to dissuade people? Whatever it is if it can be fixed without losing all the progress made so far that would be nice
  • You should also state in game about your threat to ban people over it. Many don't ever check the forums, and might not know anything g is going on.
  • AllisonBrock
    73 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    Is the bug really so bad that it deserves a ban, or was that stated just to dissuade people? Whatever it is if it can be fixed without losing all the progress made so far that would be nice

When you have guilds that shouldn't be able to get all 6 stars yesterday because normally they're 25m short in GP. the exploit basically got them 20-25m GP to get all 6 stars. I'd say that's pretty bad. SAME goes for today. seeing guilds on the leaderboard getting star counts that they normally would not be able to achieve. This "CAN" be calculated with math. Simply going to their swgoh.gg profile for the guild and just tally up their characterGP. even if you generously give them perfect combat points they shouldn't be able to reach the full stars in each of the zones. It's actually much worst today. 3 Phases have gone by and the star count they're racking up adds up towards the end. And the longer CG waits on addressing this, the more guilds will be "accidently" accumulating these star counts- to the point where each phase is getting them an extra 1-2 to even possibly 3 stars (worst case). And will CG take action on banning everybody or a large group of players that is their source of income? Tough call there.

The same reason they didn't ban everybody who did the MOD free upgrade. So many people got away with it. Do you want to shut down your income source when its over half your player base?

For the record, I was one of the very first to report the weird anomalies of the leaderboard. wondering how some guilds got their stars but yet their GP doesnt translate to it. I have not taking advantage of this so called accident because all the platoons in my guild was completed early in the morning and by time I got to logging on they were all done. I'm in favor of having TB be shut down and compensate people for testing this buggy release. This is in reference to the guy who so called "guarantee" that "all the people who are calling for a shut down" covering their tracks.

The reason I am calling for a shut down and compensation is mainly this:

1. Where do you draw the line between accident and knowingly abuse.
    2. So those who mildly abused it slightly under the cut off threshold gets away with it- thus you're rewarding people for bad behavior. and their guild gets an extra reward from it. (I'm going to shout unfairness here.)
    3. This TB is buggy. we're testing for CG and finding the bugs. but not getting rewarded for it but then treated with bans and warnings and threats. I got a 'warning' for pointing out the bug. this shouldn't be how you treat customers helping you out.if the information was helpful, then you guys should take actions to address it and not shoot the messenger or punish/penalize. i didnt even know what the exploit was but just pointing out a weird anomaly that actually turned out to be a bug. Instead of a thanks. i got a slap. This is really poorly treating your customer trying to help you.
  • WenHandel
    165 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    There will be no bans or any other punishments. EA will work to fix the issue going forward, and that is all. It’s what happened with all the other exploits of in-game bugs in the past.

So the real question here is what will EA do about the rewards for this TB. Will they give more rewards to the cheats, will they adjust them to back out the stars won by exploiting, or will they just give everyone the same plus some compensation?

They will probably do whatever is easiest and least costly for them, so I really doubt that the stars for this TB will be corrected. That would be too much work and too difficult to explain.
  • scuba wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    JDIII wrote: »
    Not for an open bug in the game! It’s not like it was hacked
    Yes for an open bug... If they straight up say "Please don't do this thing, we will fix it, but it's not an important enough bug to stop the event just don't do it or there will be reprecussions" then you STILL do it? That's on you, man.

Odds are there won't be any consequences for people who did it before the announcement was made, but if you go on doing it now afterwards you deserve what you get.

What about the large percentage of players who don't read forums? Unless there's an in-game announcement that doesn't work.
    JDIII wrote: »
    Not for an open bug in the game! It’s not like it was hacked
    Yes for an open bug... If they straight up say "Please don't do this thing, we will fix it, but it's not an important enough bug to stop the event just don't do it or there will be reprecussions" then you STILL do it? That's on you, man.

Odds are there won't be any consequences for people who did it before the announcement was made, but if you go on doing it now afterwards you deserve what you get.

So many people people dont read forums. Some even dont read ingame messages, they just play the game

How did they find out about the bug? If they're a regular person player then they might experience the bug, but won't know how to exploit it. Those folks will be fine. If they're a regular person player who found out how to exploit this bug from some reddit thread or other forum or heard about it in their guild's line/discord/whatever, they'll hear about the crackdown the same way. But anyone who's purposely exploiting a bug, even if they didn't read about a crackdown, should be punished. A reasonable person can tell when they're doing something they shouldn't and knows better.

Long story short--you guys are worrying over a situation that probably won't even happen. The folks fanning the flames of "But what about THESE people" are doing it because they know they've exploited something and hope they can use whataboutism to cover themselves.

Well when we get comments like this:
    We're sorry to hear that players have found an exploit of the Territory Battle's Platoon Deployment mechanic. Please know that we have logs of those who choose to engage in this exploitative behavior.

There is reason to raise questions.
    There logs don't show the intent of a player.
    Will the be able to pick out the big time abusers yes I have no doubt.
    However there are many that "participated" in this exploit not at their own choosing because of a bugged system.
    So even a wrong ban against someone because their logs show they "participated" is kitten kitten.
    No one should have to jump thru hoops because the game is broke and it was decided to just let it go with a don't do this warning which again it would be a pita to ensure you never did this in the following 3 phases.

If tbey have time to warn you not do do it, they have time to shut it down and wirk to correct it....
  • Tavanh
    523 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Wished we could've beta tested DS TB instead of TW.
    But I really do appreciate the QoL changes you guys made. Sadly it is overshadowed by DS TB. :(
  • Easiest solution to this is shut down the TB and award all guilds rewards equal to their previous TB results, fix the code, actually test it and when it is ready reissue it into the game. Only reason I found out is because someone in my guild saw something on Reddit and let us know in chat there was an issue and to be careful. Not every guild has people who regularly visit the forums, Reddit or watches vids on YouTube where people are discussing issues like this. So award us the rewards for our previous TB completion and 3 Chewie shards on top of that and fix it.
  • Jermunji
    108 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I've been hearing all day about this "exploit" and it seems we're just beating around the bush. I don't know what the exploit is personally, but with all the threats going around I'm certainly concerned about having done whatever is being done throughout galaxy.

I would agree with the sentiment that if this glitch is spreading like wildfire among players, then just shut down the tb. This issue, combined with the obvious imbalance in power between the LS and DS that has been revealed are major problems that obviously need correcting.

Its ok devs, we don't HAVE to have glitchy broken content just for the sake of having said content.

#K.I.S.Ś
    Post edited by Jermunji on
  • These forums have been slow compared to what they used to be.. yet no one seems to defend this joke of a content release
  • giphy.gif
  • WenHandel wrote: »
    There will be no bans or any other punishments. EA will work to fix the issue going forward, and that is all. It’s what happened with all the other exploits of in-game bugs in the past.

So the real question here is what will EA do about the rewards for this TB. Will they give more rewards to the cheats, will they adjust them to back out the stars won by exploiting, or will they just give everyone the same plus some compensation?

They will probably do whatever is easiest and least costly for them, so I really doubt that the stars for this TB will be corrected. That would be too much work and too difficult to explain.

Yep, pretty much what I expect is going to happen.

Don't expect to see any punishments handed out, and CG's just hoping their threat will reduce the exploit usage.

Don't ever recall any past exploiters being punished.
  • Agree with OP... And also don't cry about an exploit in an utterly broken piece of content that it is ABUNDANTLY clear you didn't test it at all.... Like really full zeta squads are getting crushed in p3... Seriously just let people go on it and you can fix it when this ends.... I didn't even have the exploit happen to me and it grinds my gears the response given...
  • JoseIrimia
    446 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    We get "new" content that is deeply bugged, unbalanced and not properly tested. Then we get scolded because one of the problems could be used unintentionally as an exploit. Awesome.
  • 1AmYourFath3r
    3103 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I recall a post circling discord, no more then two weeks ago, where McMole? RSG? stated that DS TB was still too buggy and wouldn't be ready for months. Is CG too proud to say "hey, we know its the anniversary and want to do something big, but we kitten up and won't be ready in time"?
  • Tavanh wrote: »
    Wished we could've beta tested DS TB instead of TW.
    But I really do appreciate the QoL changes you guys made. Sadly it is overshadowed by DS TB. :(

It does feel like we are currently playing the beta of DS TB...
  • aclbosox wrote: »
    I want to play it to see and plan for waves 4-6. Haven't lost a battle yet so far through 3 waves. Have spent a lot of time and credits on this TB and I'm having fun. We won't get past the learning curve if we don't face it. The exploit issues has already left the barn - IF CG is going to take action on it the damage has already been done. I don't want innocent people banned though...make the cutoff like 50 or more duplicate units deployed - just catch the blatant exploiters...or even 75.

Uh, no, if you did it more than 5 times you knew what you were doing...

I think more leniency is fine here. Minimal damage done. Just go after egregious abusers.
  • Allenb60 wrote: »

Everyone relax. It's super obvious when guilds are deliberately using the exploit to stack their TB results, and they'll be punished. A few accidental points gains here and there will be shrugged off.

Carry on.
  • Seriously. Just kill dstb, accept you failed and go back to the drawing board. I honestly don’t care if we do or don’t get some type of compensation for it. This whole thing is a catastrophe and massive waste of everyone’s time. I genuinely could not care less about this Tb. Kill it ASAP and move on.
  • Put this TB out of its misery and end it now.
    It clearly wasnt tested and should have never been released. nothing works as it should. 4/4 difficulty, wrong amount of gp given, platoons exploitable and dont even show a message that the characters are already contributed.

Are you really willing to threaten your players, when you just didnt do your job and released a broken game mode (again) . Just pull the plug, move on and fix it. There is nothing to win by letting it run to the end. You just can loose, no matter what you decide to do.
  • For them to say they have to wait till the end is trash. They know what's wrong with it now, well sorry even 2 days ago and now the the exploit/bad coding by a monkey too why are the continuing to flog a dead horse!!??

What else we find out there next or what will crop up in tonight's TB. It's something new nearly every day.

If this was a product in a shop that you kept finding defects in the whole company would have to recall it. So WHY are they not doing this with this current abomination.
    *** So be it... Jedi ***
  • shut it down! Shut it down! Shut it down!
  • Karfax wrote: »
    If this was a product in a shop that you kept finding defects in the whole company would have to recall it. So WHY are they not doing this with this current abomination.

A very good analogy. Defective products getting a recall.

• Azza
    245 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    We are getting no response from the DEV because they are all on holiday in the US.

The person that thought it was a good idea to release new content over holiday with the history of buginess of this game is ... I'll stop here to remain civil.

But frankly, you couldn't get right the number of points we are getting for missions and you think that people that find a bug won't exploit it? (I didn't cause I wasn't bright enough to find it)

I'm not even touching the fact that this is the lowest participation we ever had in our guild (none of us are in the us, so it's not because of thanksgiving). But frankly, more than 2/3 of the guilds have all the good mods on LS characters. Swapping is wayyyyy too long to do and the difficulty being bull kitten, they just abandonned.

This TB need to be stopped now. I know it won't cause some whales spent hundreds to get the two new toons, but that is just sad.

Truly, this release is unfortunate after the gift from the second anniversary.
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • why are they even releasing stuff when they are on holiday for the following days.. i mean there could always be some bugs even if something was properly tested.. and releasing something that is not properly tested and then being on holiday is just...
  • Are we going to keep beta testing this game for?