Ur true opinion on jar jar/prequels

2Milly_htowm
215 posts Member
edited February 2016
So as most of u are adults who probably saw the original trilogy when it came out or a bit after, i grew up when the prequels were all out (except 3).
So i watched them all as a kid and therefore didnt see too much of a problem with the prequels. Now of course i see stuff like "why dafak is little annie blowing up a command ship" or "man the scripting in episode 3 is terrible". But of course i see issues in the OT too, not just the fact that theyre older. Along with the clone wars TV show, i have a way different opinion on Anakin then most of u do, thinking of hayden christian when u hear the name.
Also i remeber jar jar was my first lego star wars guy and i would always play with him so hes kinda always had a place in my heart and i cant say i really hate him.

Im just wondering, since the age gap might prove different views on the series, whats ur guys opinion on the prequels and jar jar?

Two age categories are "seen the OT when i was young" and "grew up with them all"

Ur true opinion on jar jar/prequels 42 votes

I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate prequels and jar jar
19%
d3gaussRayRevanEllo_AstyAluxendrSnakeCoolhand_Lukecrimp47DeusExMachina 8 votes
I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate jar jar but like the prequels
35%
RolfAbyssAdamWSticare_Courts_0073DarthLynchCaptSeaWalkerRobbathehuttSchmohawkCaptainarlexVastDeathKopfschussBaron_BrixiusWeezy_vegas1FinalGreyJediBuckwok 15 votes
I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate the prequels but not jar jar
4%
cosmicturtle333Nortikka_aikarajuu 2 votes
I was young when Trilogy came out and i like the prequels and jar jar
7%
Horse_CosbyShenzorBossk 3 votes
I grew up with all 6 out and like jar jar and the prequels
16%
D_MillennialJarJarSithOverlordMrTeleporto2Milly_htowmCPMPWarMo_liza 7 votes
I grew up with all 6 out and hate jar jar and the prequels
4%
MeetraSurikgiggsy 2 votes
I grew up with all 6 out and like jar jar but not the prequels
2%
Plague_Inc 1 vote
I grew up with all 6 out and hate jar jar but like the prequels
9%
BogsquashCometheloserFettfrenzyFlamesFan2313 4 votes

Replies

• I don't like Jar Jar, but I don't hate him either.
  • I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate jar jar but like the prequels
    I grew up watching 4,5,6, but never got excited about the prequels when they came out. Episode 1 was so bad I couldn't finish it. I actually saw Episode 7 before seeing the rest of 1, 2, and 3.

I got on such a fan craze after The Force Awakens that I finally went back and finished 1,2, and 3 and can officially say that Jar Jar in the worst character ever. I cringed ever time he talked. I genuinely hate him after trying to give him a fair chance.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    The only thing I really hate about Jar Jar is the nonsensical "Jar Jar is really a Sith Lord" meme which gets repeated every five minutes as if it were actually original or clever.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I grew up with all 6 out and like jar jar and the prequels
    But how do you feel about the ewok Christmas special?
  • Sticare_Courts_0073
    1916 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    #%@!§ I messed up the voting... *facepalm* Clicked while magically disregarding the first part of the answer.
    When reading the following response, this is what it should've been: "I grew up with all 6 out and hate jar jar but like the prequels"

1. Yep, there's "I like prequels" over my head and I'm not afraid to say it. Like OP said, I was young when I first saw Ep.3 in the movie theatre and it was an epic, impressive movie. The love story was something I ignored anyway, so if you take most of the cheesy stuff away it's a fine movie (for an older kid). That's what sticks with you when you grow up.
    2. It wasn't until 2015 that I really watched all 6 the movies (yes I know, blasphemy :P), so as a young adult Jar Jar was strikingly annoying. He kinda grew on me after realizing he's the greatest Sith Lord of all time, but nothing makes up for that first movie.

EDIT: once again, sorry OP :'(
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • So as most of u are adults who probably saw the original trilogy when it came out or a bit after, i grew up when the prequels were all out (except 3).
    So i watched them all as a kid and therefore didnt see too much of a problem with the prequels. Now of course i see stuff like "why dafak is little annie blowing up a command ship" or "man the scripting in episode 3 is terrible". But of course i see issues in the OT too, not just the fact that theyre older. Along with the clone wars TV show, i have a way different opinion on Anakin then most of u do, thinking of hayden christian when u hear the name.
    Also i remeber jar jar was my first lego star wars guy and i would always play with him so hes kinda always had a place in my heart and i cant say i really hate him.

Im just wondering, since the age gap might prove different views on the series, whats ur guys opinion on the prequels and jar jar?

Two age categories are "seen the OT when i was young" and "grew up with them all"

None of those options fit me: I grew up between the trilogies, I hate Jar Jar, I hate the prequels, Slave Leia is everything right about the world, and Hayden Christiansen is a whiney **** in everything he does.

And Han Solo dies.
  • I like the prequels for what they are, filling in the story with some good action scenes. The acting was very bad, and to this day, it bugs me thinking about what they could have been vs what they actually are. Great stories, poor execution. Jar-jar is annoying, but he is what he is. People lose their minds over him and I just don't care enough about a single character to really mind at all.

Looking back at the original trilogy, the acting was a lot better, the story was solid, but some of the dialog was still pretty bad.

That being said, I like EVERY movie, and am making my way through the clone wars now. Interesting indeed, but not as good as the actual trilogies IMO.
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!
  • I like the prequels for what they are, filling in the story with some good action scenes. The acting was very bad, and to this day, it bugs me thinking about what they could have been vs what they actually are. Great stories, poor execution. Jar-jar is annoying, but he is what he is. People lose their minds over him and I just don't care enough about a single character to really mind at all.

Looking back at the original trilogy, the acting was a lot better, the story was solid, but some of the dialog was still pretty bad.

That being said, I like EVERY movie, and am making my way through the clone wars now. Interesting indeed, but not as good as the actual trilogies IMO.

I hate the overly choreographed duels. More fake than Hayden Christiansen's acting.

Well, almost.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Only real issues with the prequels (imo) are as follows.

1) jar jar is such a waste of screen time its mind numbing.
    2) sidious did not go into enough detail on plageus or the sith in general.
    3) grievous was done no justice, he was a ruthless and VERY feared jedi hunter/killer with exceptional skill/cunning. He needed more screentime and backstory.
    4) actir playing anakin was sinplt "trying too hard". He overplayed the part to the point of just looking pitiful/weak (and of course whiney) so what about him is to make us think this crybaby is powerful or the chosen one for that matter.
    5) dooku also was done no justice and deserved far more back story as well.
    6) ventress/maul/ahsoka/savage/nightsisters all played a sizeable role in the galaxy at the time yet played minimal roles or were non-existant at all.
    7) mace windu was done no justice (refer to dooku/grievous)
    8) overall they didnt "feel" like star wars movies...... Felt more like a whiny anakin soap opera.

All in all tho, how can you not love the back story we did get and they are still star wars movies after all :))))))
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Abyss wrote: »

1) jar jar is such a waste of screen time its mind numbing.
    3) grievous was done no justice, he was a ruthless and VERY feared jedi hunter/killer with exceptional skill/cunning. He needed more screentime and backstory.
    4) actir playing anakin was sinplt "trying too hard". He overplayed the part to the point of just looking pitiful/weak (and of course whiney) so what about him is to make us think this crybaby is powerful or the chosen one for that matter.
    5) dooku also was done no justice and deserved far more back story as well.
    6) ventress/maul/ahsoka/savage/nightsisters all played a sizeable role in the galaxy at the time yet played minimal roles or were non-existant at all.
    7) mace windu was done no justice (refer to dooku/grievous)
    8) overall they didnt "feel" like star wars movies...... Felt more like a whiny anakin soap opera.

All in all tho, how can you not love the back story we did get and they are still star wars movies after all :))))))
    I agree with all of this. Excellent assessment!

The thing that I liked the most was that we finally got the plot backstory for how Palps became Emporer. I always wondered why everyone just let him take over. With the prequels I was glad to see that there was a carefully constructed & devious political plan, not just some "oh I'm the most powerful Sith ever, all bow down before me" thing.
    Incidentally, if you liked that part too then you should read the Darth Plagueis novel for more backroom machinations.
    Post edited by Rolf on
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
    Qeltar wrote: »
    The only thing I really hate about Jar Jar is the nonsensical "Jar Jar is really a Sith Lord" meme which gets repeated every five minutes as if it were actually original or clever.

I highly recommend you read the reddit post if you haven't already done so. It's very clever and believable.

Jar Jar was originally intended to parallel Yoda's character in ESB. ;)
  • I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate the prequels but not jar jar
    Wrong vote ^ too confusing for me :#

I like the prequels and Jar Jar isn't that bad.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
    Abyss wrote: »

I totally see where ur coming from but i think the main reason plageus and greviouses hunting were left out becaue episode 3 was such a time crunch. I mean, by the time they park the broken ship nicely next to the jedi temple (of all places on the planet it could have landed), its only like 20 min in. 20 min and dooku is already dead and the chancellor is saved and grevious escaped.

I would have loved to see these two characters develop but there was just no time to do it. Grevious however is well developed in the clone wars series, and he acually kills jedi. Plageus on the other hand is probably being saved for a later time
  • I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate prequels and jar jar
    I mean, I was in college when Revenge of the Sith came out. So I wasn't that young.

But between George Lucas, Hayden Christensen, and ....Samuel L Jackson (I'll explain why) the prequels were pretty well ruined for me.

Ewan McGregor, Christopher Lee and Liam Neeson and the guy who played Palpatine made the first 3 movies almost watchable...but George Lucas is just too terrible of a director.

I'm not even going to list all the different ways Lucas screwed these movies. Go watch the Patton Oswalt stand up on time machines and George Lucas.

Hayden Christensen was just terrible in the first 2 movies. He kind of pulled off his role in Revenge, but it didn't make up for his disastrous miscast in 1 and 2.

Why did Sam Jackson ruin it for me? Because he's too angry. Not intense, just angry. If they were looking for a black actor for Mace, there were a lot of better choices; my vote would've gone to Courtney B. Vance. He was cast as a way to draw in Jackson fanboys, pure and simple. Not that I don't love him in other movies, he just didn't play Mace Windu, he played Samuel L Jackson in a galaxy far, far away.
  • Calenir
    48 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Aluxendr wrote: »
    I mean, I was in college when Revenge of the Sith came out. So I wasn't that young.

But between George Lucas, Hayden Christensen, and ....Samuel L Jackson (I'll explain why) the prequels were pretty well ruined for me.

Ewan McGregor, Christopher Lee and Liam Neeson and the guy who played Palpatine made the first 3 movies almost watchable...but George Lucas is just too terrible of a director.

I'm not even going to list all the different ways Lucas screwed these movies. Go watch the Patton Oswalt stand up on time machines and George Lucas.

Hayden Christensen was just terrible in the first 2 movies. He kind of pulled off his role in Revenge, but it didn't make up for his disastrous miscast in 1 and 2.

Why did Sam Jackson ruin it for me? Because he's too angry. Not intense, just angry. If they were looking for a black actor for Mace, there were a lot of better choices; my vote would've gone to Courtney B. Vance. He was cast as a way to draw in Jackson fanboys, pure and simple. Not that I don't love him in other movies, he just didn't play Mace Windu, he played Samuel L Jackson in a galaxy far, far away.

Hayden Christensen wasn't in Episode 1. That was Jake Lloyd, who was almost as terrible.
  • I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate prequels and jar jar
    Episode 4 comes out. It is a huge life-meta shift at the time. :smile: Lucas has an interesting vision and plan for some trilogies. Episode 5 was a decent sequel. We now know that Yoda trained BOTH Obi-Wan and Anakin. By Episode 6, Lucas decides this is a kiddie show. Cartoons for Droids are out. Wookies are transformed into little teddy bears called Ewoks. Lucas starts to destroy his original interesting vision.

New trilogy comes out (Ep 1-3). Now Liam Neeson is pretty awesome, but who the $&*^% is Qui-Gon Jinn? No, he did not train Obi-Wan. No, Obi-Wan did not train Anakin. A whole lot of stuff got changed around. Anakin was supposed to be in his later teens in Ep 1 and he is like what, 7? Lucas is still pandering to kids, introduces Jar-Jar for that purpose and makes all the characters 10 years younger.

Lucas as director? Watch a movie called The Professional. A very young Portman shows off a terrific performance. Now watch Ep 3. Not only is Hayden bad, Portman is bad as well! Watch her in anything since - she is not a bad actress but lord was she bad in these movies.

Then these clone wars cartoons come out which continue to press the bad and altered storyline.

I agree, if you are in my age bracket, you likely have these same views. Someone younger would not.
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • The meddling with Jedi spirits to incorporate the prequels really upset me...but sometimes I like to think of the reaction of all the younglings in Jedi heaven that Anakin killed. Their murderer smirking beside them.
  • I love midichlorians.
    My blood's full of them.
  • I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate jar jar but like the prequels
    I did not love the PT, but did not hate them either. Having seen them several times and had numerous debates about them, I have come to the conclusion that the flaw with the PT films was not in the story, but in the details. The core story is there, and I recognize exactly what Lucas is thinking as he crafts the story (other than $$$ rolling through his mind).

I mean, he has this story where millions of people know basically how it will end, and the end is that the bad guys win. The strongest good guys are all dead or scattered, one of the more powerful heroes has betrayed them all and become a villain, and the Empire has more or less taken over. Now any fan knew that the last shots of the 3rd film had to be of Luke and Leia being born and sent away, because you had to have some sort of a "new hope" to maintain the optimism. But that certain level of predictability is not where the flaws are.

No, the flaws exist because Lucas had basically complete control over everything, and no one to tell him no. He had all the final decisions. Casting, script, developmental plot points . . . it all came from him. (Anecdotally, did you know that he wanted to have a lava pit in the Emperor's throne room in RotJ? It took a bunch of people telling him that it made no sense at all before he caved and took it out.) And again, I can see his thinking. He has this progressively darker story. And for the first film, he main character is a kid. So he makes a film to bring the kids in - something which that film succeeds in. But it alienates the hard-core fans because it is too young, too silly at points, which detracts from the tone. Look at that film, and the flaws are clear - some poor casting (Lloyd being the most obvious, but I would also argue that Portman was a poor choice), a comic relief character in Jar Jar that was not needed, some horrendous dialogue, and an overall lack of action. There are good things too - the pod race, while geared for kids, it still a very well-done sequence albeit a tad long, the final duel is fantastic, and the political intrigue element is a nice addition to the story but handled wrong. Neeson, McGregor, and McDiarmid are great. Visually a nice film as well. But too much emphasis on the wrong things and a departure from the tone of the OT are clear and eventually wear down the film into a kiddie show - for a reason, but still it is there.

Then we get to AotC, which I felt was weaker in many ways than TPM. Sure the action was better (with the exception of the droid-factory nonsense which I thought was absolutely abysmal) and the story felt more cohesive and had much more direction. But the weaknesses here are the clearly hurried progression of the relationship with Anakin & Padme, the casting again (still not liking Portman, who is already starting to mail it in) and the direction really takes a turn for the worse. The fireside chat may be the worst scene in all the SW films. And Hayden Christensen . . . well look, he is not an awful actor, but not great either. But it is the direction that fails him. Reading Lucas' mind again, I can see what his intent it: Anakin is strong, but he has to have a glaring weakness so that we can buy into him being manipulated later. The problem is that he put too much emphasis on that weakness, on his whiny "I'm the chosen one" immaturity, so that the character comes across as nothing more than a powerful brat. You still have a core story that is interesting, nice plot progression and some cool elements and battles, and the best large-scale battle sequence we've seen in terms of design (plus Yoda fighting, a great Christopher Lee, and a sadly under-used and hastily ended Jango Fett), but the film falls so flat because its center - Anakin - is made out to be nothing more than a whiny teenager. And don't get me started on the horrible Shmi death scene and the Sand People massacre, which should have been longer (read the novelization to see how that should have been). Again . . . the details & points of emphasis are just wrong.

RotS is clearly the best of the 3 PT films, which falls flat for the first 2/3 largely due to acting and directing. Still, the last third (basically from the point that Anakin actually turns) is great. The duel in the Senate, though CG heavy, is fun and well choreographed. You get the Mustafar duel, the death of Dooku, and the fun (though ultimately disappointing) Obi-Wan vs. GG fight. Christensen's acting gets markedly better once he really starts to turn darker, but Portman is clearly fed up by this film and it shows. McGregor continues to be the best in the films, and even with some mediocre dialogue manages to make it watchable. The scene of a destroyed Anakin clawing up the slope, still trying to fight and totally taken in by the deceptions that have led him there, is spot-on. But too many elements feel rushed towards the end, and too many chances are missed. The most glaring to me is Grievous: cool design and all, but how much more epic is every scene with him if the organic parts are the remnants of Darth Maul, and how much more emotional and intense is the fight with Obi-Wan if that is the case? The naming of the twins and of Vader seems random. The turn to the dark side should have happened earlier, and we should have gotten to see more of what he is truly capable of (which, I hear, we will see when Rogue One comes out in December). There should have been more meaning behind some of the choices that the characters make. I have no issues with love being Anakin's great weakness here; on the contrary, I think it makes total sense, and it fits in with other elements of the overall canon. Why Jedi are forbidden to marry, why they start the training so young, etc. I can even handle the "NOOOOO" that most people hate. Sure the scene is not great, but you can hear the last bits of the light fading out with his scream. It is on point with the progression of the character in these films.

So that is my take on it, at least in part. By no means is that a complete treatise on the PT - far from it - but it felt like a nice time to put it out there once more. Not apologizing for the mistakes that were there, just trying to say that there is still a lot to like, and getting into the head of George Lucas helps to understand the bad things more, and helps (me anyway) appreciate those films and make them more entertaining. And when my son is old enough (he's almost 3 and already has a vast love of the characters) I cannot wait to watch them with him.

Wow, did that post get long!
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I was young when Trilogy came out and i hate prequels and jar jar
    I grew up watching 4,5,6. Loved them all as a kid. I was about 12 when ep 1 came out. Loved it at the time. Hated episode 2. "Love is like sand at the beach" ok vader... also laughed along with everyone else in the theater when yoda decided to break out the lightsaber, which George Lucas was apparently trying to avoid.

Ep 3 was passable. But, now I think ep 1,2,3 look worse visually than 4,5,6. They look like cheap syfy movies like sharknado, etc.

I'm now watching the clone wars tv show, which is up and down, but a better way to tell the story than the 3 movies. Grievous still seems comically inept even though he's killed 1 Jedi on screen so far.

And yes jarjar is terrible. Yoda was comic relief in the original but he was pretending to be goofy, and when you discovered that fact it made it more appreciable. Jar jar is just a stupid person, and if anyone caused that much destruction to his own forces he'd be put away on suspicion of treason, if not executed. You wouldn't roll your eyes and say, "oh, that silly jar jar did it again!"
    -Snake
    Snake wrote: »

I'm now watching the clone wars tv show, which is up and down, but a better way to tell the story than the 3 movies. Grievous still seems comically inept even though he's killed 1 Jedi on screen so far.

Once u get into the later seasons, including the half 6th on netflix, its a really good show
  • So as most of u are adults who probably saw the original trilogy when it came out or a bit after, i grew up when the prequels were all out (except 3).

Jar jar didnt kill the movie he was just an annoying slow witted thing, im very familiar with all 6 and the prequels were awesome