Territory War Ties [Merged]

Replies

• Or yah know, they could just make ties both get first.....since you both put in first place effort.

Wouldn't work.....guilds would just agree to set defensive squads and not attack each other. If there's anything that been proven in PVP gaming, it's that if there's any way for people to share rewards with as little effort as possible, they'll find that way and do it.

In the case of no attacks neither guild gets rewards.

Then guilds will just reverse it. Set junk defensive teams so both guilds can roll each other easily on offense.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Guys, the message here is that in war, everyone loses. Thus, we all get second place prizes.
    You were supposed to use your Jedi to find a diplomatic solution.
  • Thx @Manowar
    Indeed it's a fun competition and honestly now in the last minutes it's pretty exciting to see if the enemy will manage to get the territory down, or not. After all we would have still three territories to clear, the enemy four. So we still have a lot of work to do, before we run into this tie situation.
  • Wouldn't work.....guilds would just agree to set defensive squads and not attack each other. If there's anything that been proven in PVP gaming, it's that if there's any way for people to share rewards with as little effort as possible, they'll find that way and do it.

yup, our guild is probably just gonna field a weak defence next round and focus on attack. if we are gonna tie anyway we may as well put in as little effort as possible to get the same rewards. until EA/CG fix this an give some incentive to do better.

I like the idea of points awarded/deducted for beating/losing to defences. could perhaps include a bonus for perfect scores eg. destroying your opponent without losing a toon. or something similar.
  • I personally don't like the defensive points idea. I enjoy using characters I like. Most of those aren't that good. Under this point system. Your not going to use lesser characters because you'll give opposition points. The best part of tw is being able to use your whole roster.
  • @ProximaB1_ I feel that way too, personally. It might have to be a necessary evil to prevent ties.
  • Ties are a problem of higher GP guilds, isn't it? I'm in a 73mil GP guild, facing a 73mil GP enemy and we are having a lots of fun and nowhere near clearing all areas.

Yes - but you're still talking about at least 100+ guilds (the top 100 or so are all 100+ million GP) that's 5,000 players - and often those that have been playing the longest and/or have spent a lot of money supporting the game.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Sixplicit
    88 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    The real problem is the nature of the game. The best defense can be beaten by mid tier offense. Defense does not exist in this game. Defense needs a boost. Until that happens 100,000+ power is going to get rolled like 70,000 power.

Oh. And to the OP first to finish is a bad idea. We finished first so I do not care about that but people have work, live in other T zones, and have families. Some of our crew woke up to hit and it was over.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Guys, the message here is that in war, everyone loses. Thus, we all get second place prizes.
    You were supposed to use your Jedi to find a diplomatic solution.

I know this is sarcasm, but there is truth to this. The diplomatic solution is where we are headed, and that would kill the competitive nature that this new game mode promises
  • I would prefer ties to that. If defensive points happened I would probably just set defensive squads and skip offensive phase.
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    I personally don't like the defensive points idea. I enjoy using characters I like. Most of those aren't that good. Under this point system. Your not going to use lesser characters because you'll give opposition points. The best part of tw is being able to use your whole roster.

Ugh, good point. I DID enjoy using some of my weaker teams, but, I cant think of a better idea.
    I'm not a fan of any other idea I've seen (even my own).
    Also, I think ties are going to be an issue for all guilds over ~80 mil GP, which I think is about average.
    My beta guild cleared the board at 76 mil GP
  • Why not do away with the "random seeding" thing? Meaning this:

Instead of pairing guilds by GP - why not pair them by number of members and gear the rewards to the guild with the higher GP?

I get that this will cause a GP disparity and will likely result in one guild easily winning over the other. But look at it this way: In the case of a 120mGP guild being matched up with an 80mGP guild - the 80mGP guild would be bumped up a bracket or two and get better rewards for losing than they would for winning in their normal bracket.

It would present a guild with a challenge to actually coordinate to defeat a bigger guild, and bigger guilds would actually get a sense of accomplishment from winning.
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Manowar wrote: »
    I believe giving points for successful defenses is a bad idea.

One of the strong points of TW is that you can truly use your full roster, for those units above 6,000 power. Penalizing unsuccessful attacks will remove incentives for creative gameplay with weaker team compositions.

There are few things more fun than testing your high-synergy 65k power team against an 80k power opponent. Scrap teams are also an appropriate strategy against certain teams, a strategy which has been encouraged by CG. To add the looming fear of penalized loss stifles the spirit of Territory Wars.

I do agree that some tweaks should be considered, but with this hindsight, more guilds will certainly be able to set successful defenses next time.

You still get to test out your teams... heck, even with the current format you are being penalized for testing out a failed team because you 1. Lost a team and 2. Gave the opponent TM.

There is just an additional incentive to create better defensive teams that not only mke your opponent lose a team (which happens win/lose), but also survives over and over again.
  • Semi
    133 posts Member
    Jetlife wrote: »
    Yup we tied also. Like everybody else, I’m ok with a tie, but you have to award both guilds with winning prizes and not give each guild losing prize boxes, like your going to do..
    being in a 140m guild and facing a 140m guild and clearing out the entire other guilds massively geared and synergized teams; just to get a loss? Doesn’t make any sense. Give us wins on ties if we get max amount of points in a TW

If they allow 2x winning prizes everybody would try to tie at the end while giving the second place Makes sens to make the Members work harder
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    I would prefer ties to that. If defensive points happened I would probably just set defensive squads and skip offensive phase.

But if the defensive win points were worth much less points than the offensive wins, you would lose. That would be bad strategy
  • Ties are a joke and you get second place rewards is even worse.
    In olympics two people tie for gold. They both get gold
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Seth_Ozzel wrote: »
    We should have 3 types of Rewards:
    1/ Winner
    2/ Tie
    3/ Looser.

This would be the easiest solution. You could even implement this while thinking of a more fun tie breaker
  • Ties need to be addressed. This game mode shows promise, but if high level guilds always tie guess what happens after 2-3 TW? We get bored. We get bored because there is no incentive to play a 0 sum game akin to tic tac toe, and once we’re bored, everyone puts in solo cup, solo jkg, and solo ughnauth on all the defense nodes so we can rush through this as fast as possible. That would mean yet another piece of content then goes down the drain.

For the record, 1 banner per defense hold is likely the best fix.
  • Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    Uh, in an event between two people or teams, if you tied, you would tie for first. There is not tying for second unless you have more than 2 teams.

Feels like an excuse to pay out lower rewards...what's the deal? Make the event less likely to result in ties if you are gonna have rewards like this.

• Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Seth_Ozzel wrote: »
    We should have 3 types of Rewards:
    1/ Winner
    2/ Tie
    3/ Looser.

Maybe. But, top guilds would get the Tie every time. Might as well call it T.W. : Tie Wars
  • This was a lot of fun. Here are some suggestions:

Tie-breaker. Lots of threads around, lots of good ideas, some bad ideas. Pick a good one, please.

Open the territories. It would allow for greater unpredictability (and thus greater strategy) if a territory could field both characters and ships.
  • I would suggest this:

Each guild submits 1 team to a tiebreaking match (during defend phase).
    If there is a tie RNG decides who attacks and who defends.
    The match is played auto (would be cool if we could watch and cheer).
    There would always be a winner (in a timeout defender wins).
    Voila....
  • Shaolin_Fantastic_1
    642 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Really what is wrong w one team from each guild fight to see who wins the ti breaker. And to add to this it can't be a team used in the tw. So some strategy can be used since in these large guilds u would have to account for this.
  • There can never be 2 winners
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Really what is wrong w one team from each guild fight to see who wins the ti breaker. And to add to this it can't be a team used in the tw. So some strategy can be used since in these large guilds u so of have to account for this.

And who is the defender/attacker? Attacker is most likely to win. Have a Rock Paper Scissors kind of entry? Well what, one game of chance decided who won?
  • Hikari
    212 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    ***Edit my bad we are at 99 mil GP and they are at 103 mil GP***

Even ties don't pay out the same the guild we went against got 8 more gear pieces and 75 more guild store credits.

image.png

Screenshot_20171201-180109.png

• Lrrr
    172 posts Member
    There can never be 2 winners

So an event where everyone is second. Yay. Fun for the game.
  • @Nikoms565
    Oh please don't get me wrong, I'm absolutly with you guys, that this problem with so many ties should be adressed. I just wanted to add another point of view, cause when one reads through the threads, you could think all that TW brings are ties ;)
  • ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    I would prefer ties to that. If defensive points happened I would probably just set defensive squads and skip offensive phase.

Then you will lose.
    I personally don't like the defensive points idea. I enjoy using characters I like. Most of those aren't that good. Under this point system. Your not going to use lesser characters because you'll give opposition points. The best part of tw is being able to use your whole roster.

You would still use your whole roster to win. If beating a team takes 2 tries then you lost one point, to gain 10. If that's what it takes to finish a territory that will give you 700 more points you're not going to skip out on doing anything that risks a loss.

And besides, you would have MORE incentive to upgrade a variety of toons if they actually need to be good so you could finish an opponent with 2 teams instead of 5-6 scrap teams for example.

And you drastically overestimate the perverse incentive to put all your good teams on defense. If your favorite/strongest toons are on defense you're going to lose, and give up banners. You need a balance of strong defense teams that can get a few wins on defense, and strong teams that can win efficiency on offense. You are imagining a non-existent problem, and not giving any proof of why it's a concern.