TW matchmaking [MERGE]

Replies

• Cletus99 wrote: »
    I think that it is WAI, you are matched with guilds of equal active GP... so if you go up against a guild where only say 47 participate, the last 3 players GP does not count into the pool of active GP...also if you have alot of toons and ships in the guild of less than 6K GP they do not count towards the active GP either as you are not allowed to use them

Do you really think two persons less equals 13mill GP...I doubt that
  • The next time i always pair my guild with guild 150M power alway. What's the Different?
  • Matchmaking is totally unbalanced. We fought a team with 8 million more GP (equivalent to 80 meta teams) and they deployed same number of defence teams as us so it’s not like they only had partial participation like people keep guessing at.
  • we get 75 against 89 here ....
  • Matchmaking is totally unbalanced. We fought a team with 8 million more GP (equivalent to 80 meta teams) and they deployed same number of defence teams as us so it’s not like they only had partial participation like people keep guessing at.

Both sides always can field the same number of defense teams, but you can judge by the number of def teams how many have registered on the opposing guild. If you can field 25 both have full participation if you can field less than 25 one of the guild has less members registered
  • @Thien_Phong

I have no idea what you are saying.
  • I think this unfair matching works as intented and it should prevent ties. Next time your guild might be the lucky one and get 10M GP weaker opponent and you will win.
  • Corvus wrote: »
    Cletus99 wrote: »
    I think that it is WAI, you are matched with guilds of equal active GP... so if you go up against a guild where only say 47 participate, the last 3 players GP does not count into the pool of active GP...also if you have alot of toons and ships in the guild of less than 6K GP they do not count towards the active GP either as you are not allowed to use them

Do you really think two persons less equals 13mill GP...I doubt that

No, it was an example to illustrate the difference between Total guild GP and Active GP...but as i said it is my guess as how this works, i might be wrong...
  • Mudbutt
    195 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Corvus wrote: »
    Mudbutt wrote: »
    How do you look up other guild? I can’t find our Oppent in advance search.

You can search for the guild via guildsearch and it will show you the total GP

Figured it out lol
  • Moved to Territory Wars subsection.
  • I think a bigger problem is how it interacts with tb. Tb encouraged us to farm and level trash toons to get stars. Now all the trash we have counts for our active gp even if our effective gp (that is the gp of the toons that meet the 6k requirement & can actually do offense/defense) is significantly lower.

In that case a 25 v 50 can be favorable to the 50 who can zerg rush their opponents who might have slightly higher teams but barring a top 20 arena team are still likely killable if you throw enough bodies at them.

Point being matchmaker needs an overhaul to take into acount more factors than active gp.
  • Territory wars is showing us how our guild matches up against the rest of game. I think there are some "broken" mechanics but a lot of it comes down to strategy. The guild we are currently facing has a lot of zBarris teams. They put them all on the first two territories and we have yet to pass through one. Kudos to them. Lesson learned for us.
  • JDIII wrote: »
    Our 1st TW we seemed to be matched up pretty good with our opponent, but this time we had 1 of our guild members look up our competitions GP and it is 6 million higher than ours! That’s a huge difference and it is showing on this TW. I know that it is too hard to get both sides exact, but can you at least make sure that there is only a difference of 1 million or less?

Are you using swgoh.cc to judge power? If so, we noticed that our current opponent is drastically lower power there, but because a few of their players don't have an account.
  • Agreed. Match making is currently just dumb. A little more effort to make better matches would be appreciated. One easy fix would be to match guilds whose paywall toon markets are in the same band of timezones as outlined by guild reset time.
  • We were definitely unbalanced this TW against our opponent....we faced over 10 90k+ defenses and we had none....we face numerous 300k+ ships and we had very few on defense. Somehow though we just pulled it out and caused the other team to finish in a tie with us for 2nd HAHA! Winning! Though I do think we should both get 1st place loot.
  • Captain_Apollo
    423 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    JDIII wrote: »
    Our 1st TW we seemed to be matched up pretty good with our opponent, but this time we had 1 of our guild members look up our competitions GP and it is 6 million higher than ours! That’s a huge difference and it is showing on this TW. I know that it is too hard to get both sides exact, but can you at least make sure that there is only a difference of 1 million or less?

Honestly even a 1 million +/- won't help. It needs to be based on g12/11/10 toon quantity (or gp based solely on those toons). My guilds first match was within the +/- 1 million but they could field multiple top 20 g12 arena teams when we don't have anyone with a top 20 arena team. Needless to say they easily won.

With TB explicitly requiring gp inflation through the * and leveling of trash toons, gp is a very poor metric on which to base a guilds effective pvp power.

As it currently is the only guilds that will get regular good match ups are the ones that can 45/45 lstb already and have multiple g12 teams. Casual or small guilds still working to 45/45 lstb have to choose between inflating their gp with the trash toons needed for platoons & general gp inflation for deployments or focus on gearing up existing teams to g11/12 for tw (so lower gp but comprised mostly of powerful toons). You can't realitically do both
    Post edited by Captain_Apollo on
  • Perhaps it has to do with active players instead of guild GP. The guild we matched up against has two more players active in the TW than us. So it’s not surprising we ended up with a higher overall GP since we were 3 down overall. But our squads, strategy and player caliber is solid so we were able to pretty much walk our way to victory. It was a lot of fun watching the opposing guild throw squad after squad against our D though. It was far more entertaining than O. We were all having a **** good time this run.
  • same thing with my guild in both TW's
  • Your title should read:
    TW matchmaking unbalanced.
  • BryantBub
    33 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I thought the whole point of the "enrollment phase" was to give players the option to participate and to have matchmaking based on that cohort.

I do agree that CG needs some better AI programmers because a 3man, well-modded team with G12 solo, cls, or thrawn could wipe out teams 30k+ higher in power. The matchmaking doesn't seem to account for this (nor did GW back when that was poorly matched). This also echoes the earlier reply about how GP is a terrible metric for matchmaking.

Our guild had a rough time fighting a full g12 team of zCLS, zThrawn, GK, zBarris, zSolo -- strong teams are clearly better on defense because they're virtually guaranteed to neutralize more than 1 attacking team. In this case that group probably took out 5-8 teams.
  • ToughSituation
    33 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Guys,

seriously, you can read, can't you? Matchmaking is based on an ACTIVE Galactic Power.
    Guild's ACTIVE Galactic Power is the combined GP of all the members who JOINED Territory War.
    It means, that if you're matched with someone you have comparable ACTIVE Galactic Power.
    Your opponents might even have 20 million GP more than you do on swgoh.gg or via an in-game search but it doesn't mean you're facing their full firepower.

BTW: CG should show both guilds ACTIVE GP to end these pointless posts on Forums.
    PS: We're facing a guild that has 11 m GP more than we do (we're at 69 m active GP and they're on 80 m - they should be in a higher rewards tier) but they're 4 guys short, so... Guess what? We've destroyed them.
  • If they show both gp then someone might complain that they're at a disadvantage because they want those annoying threads to keep on coming so everyone stops asking about cls which will never stop coming. I don't know that's just an mini rant from me. Good idea
  • I think there is an cause for concern that a guild with 2 mega whales that have 6 mil in total GP, could effectively beat a guild with 50 members at 600k, The 600k guild would be drastically out manned in probably both the amount of g11/12 toons, but mods as well.

The example above is probably not a real world example, but it illustrates the point. The issue could become a bigger with larger guilds of 120 mil with only half active, facing a guild at 60 mil who might not even have players at level 80 yet.
  • Galahax
    26 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Similar story of Lukes Tauntaun...
    Our guild had 48/50 players signed into the TW. We have a GP of 79 Mil (so thats with everyone mind you...). We got steam rolled in the first few hours. Took a look at opposing guild on swgoh.gg and found they had 94 Mil GP. Thats TWO different brackets of GP that somehow the computer deemed as "appropriately matched". I can understand a +/- 5 Mil difference, but 15??? Come on! Matching making to be balanced my foot!