Territory War Ties [Merged]

Replies

• ProximaB1_
    1093 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    How about a territory commander. You get the lead of commander for all defensive squads in territory. If you place a commander that character is used for all guild members. Example you place gk as territory commander. You get his lead for all defensive squads in area. But no one in your guild can use him on offense or defense.
  • Javik
    246 posts Member
    Just a thought, but what if teams that successfully defended a battle earn 10 banners. I feel this could work because it would not be unfair about who did it quicker because of the issue with time zones. This would make the winner guilds that did not require as many attacks to clear out a guild.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to correct sub forum.

Yes that seems to be the preferred solution to this situation
  • This is a good suggestion for the future TWs to come.
  • Backdragon
    31 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    What if, when you win a battle, you get 1, 2, or 3 stars, just like in solo play? Those stars can be linked to the number of banners you receive with each win. (Or they can simply be used as a secondary tie-breaker if 2 guilds have the same number of banners using the existing scoring system)

That will definitely lessen the number of ties higher-tier guilds are seeing.

Also food for thought: maybe award stars to the defensive team if they avoid defeat?

(edit: sorry. Put this in the wrong forum. Moderators please feel free to move. Thanks)
  • The only problem with awarding stars to the defensive team if they avoid defeat is it gets rid of the fun of using low level squads you would never use to try and clean up....

• So we were paired with 6 M weaker guild and we set our defense. When Fight started we discovered they put in defense only crap teams like Cup , pao bodhi and cw chewie... because they wanted a tie. So defeat or tie makes no difference.
    We had numerous successful defensive actions (15 with a single team ) and we conquered whole opponents territory . On the other side they did nothing for defense (we finished them under 30 mins) and put their entire rosters in attack... lost like 100 battles and at the end conquered our territory and they'll get same rewards as we will.. We feel bad about it because we know we were better and we could win a fight if game mechanics had let us.

Please give 1 banner for each successful repel of an attack. Only 1 banner . So if opponent choose to put crap teams they will go to max. 15850 banners and team who set their defenses properly and conquered whole opponents territories can go only 15850+ ...

Please just a single banner for a successful defense action to remove incentive to go for a tie. Please.

Thank you.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    There is no incentive to go for a tie, you'll get the same rewards as for a loss.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • we faced the same issue, our opponents guild is 80M+ ours is 75M
    al their teams set on defense were weak teams, not a single team was "decent"

clearly they saved all their teams for attack. we had decent teams on defense, arena tier teams in back rows etc.
    we wiped em clean, they wiped us clean. bam.. organizational effort down the drain...
  • It's worse than that. There are not many good defensive squads around - thus the chances that your defenses hold are negligible because at a certain level (90M is my best guess) the opposing guild can throw in as many as 10 squads at each of your defensive one - and thus the clean sweep is guaranteed. The effort to coordinate and to perform the clean sweep is high - and the rewards are that you tie and get nothing for all the effort.
  • 1) Not enough incentive to make an effort to win. Too much organization during last weeks, officers need a break …
    2) Making an effort to win also increases chance to lose (stronger defense means weaker offense)
    3) For 120+ mil GP guild tie is almost inevitable. Opponent really needs to slack and/or make very bad decisions to give you chance to win. Or bug out. 95% of time the organizational effort will be useless.
  • yossgold
    63 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Mzee wrote: »
    I'm in a discord channel with hundreds of people in it for territory wars where guilds make rooms with their opponents. There was a poll on whether one lost a war, won, or had a draw.

That's my server, already over 4K users on the server so you can trust that poll as something that's a little more closer to the truth (I'm JoeBWanKenobi ;) )

And yes, the higher up, the more ties there are and the ratio is way more than it should be for a "sporting" event. If it were a league, then maybe it would be more acceptable, but this game mode has serious potential to be the one game mode that stays interesting for more than a month if they on;y make the ties harder to get. At this point, guilds have already started putting CUPs on D and going to full clear on offense to force a draw. Good luck doing that if defensive holds are counted.

• Corvus wrote: »
    Kreontas wrote: »
    Yeah but then again if both got 1st place rewards wouldn’t everyone intentionally draw every time? It would be the best strategy

exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

You could still require a full map clear to gain 1st price, since there is nothing you can do to do better in that case

The problem with this is that each guild can only set weak teams and focus on offense for easy clears. While that works for maximum benefits, it doesn’t address the desire for competition.

• 1. Most matched would only end in a draw if both sides use the same number of defenders and both get the same number of offensive banners and territories conquered. If you have different number of defenders and both teams clear the board the score is still different.
    2. So award bonus points for defensive holds, conquering the opponents hq first
    3. Also award a penalties to the opponents offensive abilities when they lose their HQ, or bonus abilities to the team that toppled the opponent Hq first.

These would settle ties if they should arise, but realize that some ties would still happen sometimes, you can’t eliminate them completely
  • ProximaB1_ wrote: »
    Defensive wins takes all the fun out of it. No more using your full roster. Wouldn't risk loosing. More meta toons against meta toons takes all the strategy out of combat. No more using unique tactical squads to weaken better squads. Makes tw like every other thing in this game.

I fully agree.

I posted something on the feedback section about that defensive win award mechanism but will repeat it here:

1. it will reduce the enjoyment of trying less proven squads and will lead to once again always using the same old stale squads over and over. Right now we can try things out with less than perfect squads or try to see how some squads perform on auto with no harm done. I love that i can really try out all my toons instead of always returning to the same old best ones. It is fun and should stay that way.

2. while the top guilds might be homogenous many other guilds are not and that is great. TW is supposed to be a guild effort. Right now weaker members can help cleaning up some weakened teams or soften them up for others. If an unsuccessful attempt leads to giving away banners I can see weaker players being told to stay out of fighting which is no fun. TW is supposed to be a guild effort. it could lead to GW becoming a top half of the guild effort.

3. The obvious goal would be for any guild to maximize impact by using the best squads and also using the best squads given any specific opponent. Right now there is a limited amount of coordination necessary. But that could change a lot if the need to kill off a team in one go is implemented. Coordination could become a massive time sink. TW right now is a lot of fun. Don't turn it into yet another chore.

4. It opens the door to a lot of fingerpointing and blaming. You can see who attacks whom and it is great because you can cheer on for your guildmate. Right now this is a great, positive influence on guild morale. Now imagine people seeing their guild mate failing and therefore loosing that crucial banner. Suddenly it is no longer a guild event but a personal responsibility that everyone lost. I think this can lead to some bad blood. No need for that.

I would rather have them increase the numbers of defensive slots in the top GP brackets (so that they also have to utilise thier whole collection including some weaker squads) and randomize awards in case of a tie than introducing yet another game mode that will take a lot of time to coordinate to get best results and will have you use all the same meta toons over and over again.
  • Much simpler solution. Guild with the lowest GP wins, they fought at a disadvantage while holding their own while outmatched.
    We are almost tied right now, 6 fleets to finish for us, 3 for them, then both of our contestants will have cleared the map, again. Awarding based on defense alone would not make a difference.
  • It’s not like giving both guilds first place rewards will brake the game. It’s only one more zeta mat and some extra guild/TB currency.
    They cannot award first for a tie, otherwise guilds will enter and do nothing resulting in a tie.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Unless you can beat your top 4 def teams
    4 teams because there are 200 squad def slots and 50 players to fill them. That's 4 per player
    with the remainder of your roster (on average), there's no reason you should draw.
    Playing it safe doesn't pay off, so why do it? It just increases the chance you'll draw, wich has the same rewards as losing.
  • That's what we're seeing this time around. Both sides went a lot more heavy on defense and it doesn't look like either of us will be clearing the board.
  • Just increase the maximum number of teams per territory for stronger guilds. Adjust this maximum based on reward intervals and it's problem solved.
  • Range1974 wrote: »
    It’s not like giving both guilds first place rewards will brake the game. It’s only one more zeta mat and some extra guild/TB currency.
    They cannot award first for a tie, otherwise guilds will enter and do nothing resulting in a tie.

You can still make a full board clear as requirement for 1st place...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Dretzle wrote: »
    That's what we're seeing this time around. Both sides went a lot more heavy on defense and it doesn't look like either of us will be clearing the board.

We went for it, mainly because it has no downside, and so did our enemy. I highly doubt either one of us will clear the entire map, both of us probably won't even come close. 100/110m bracket.
  • We will see in 5 hours.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.

• I would rather have them increase the numbers of defensive slots in the top GP brackets (so that they also have to utilise thier whole collection including some weaker squads) and randomize awards in case of a tie than introducing yet another game mode that will take a lot of time to coordinate to get best results and will have you use all the same meta toons over and over again. [/quote]

I like this idea; higher guild gp gets you more defensive slots.
  • We went the opposite approach good - great teams for o and the rest for defense. But also this is the 2nd time where we cleared and not everyone got to unload so I’m sure that’s for other guilds as well. 100-110gp as well.
  • Great post. My guild went defense heavy in both wars and are on our way to win #2.
  • SinisterOi
    33 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm having a real issue with putting everything into territory wars. Spending 2 days on an event. Devising defenses and attack strategies. Then when everyone puts in everything they have, THEY TAKE 2ND place?? Both guilds?? This is a silly way to score things. It doesn't encourage participation.At best, it removes rewards from an opponent for doing well... If the match making does what it's supposed to then ties will be standard. Please just award both guilds first place for a tie. Right now there is no incentive to try for 100% except to take awards away from another guild
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    We ran max defense this time. Our opponent did not. We still tied. Our guilds are both 120+ million GP. I think once you get to the higher levels (unless you are talking massive whale elite who have EVERYONE in g12) there is simply too much depth.

To address your specific question as related to my roster, I have 35 heroes g11 or above. Take the top 20 for defense, that still leaves 15 at g11 + 38 at g9 or higher - and some of those g9 are Phoenix, Droids, Rebels (heroes that have good synergies on offense).

As such, I can, fairly easily, take out each ONE of my 4 defense teams with 2+ squads of lesser toons. Even at max defense. Sure, at lower levels (where there isn't much depth) or the extremely high levels (where every roster has multiple teams - all G12 and all modded to the max are the norm) that isn't the case. But as CG has already acknowledged, ties very much will be the norm for 100+ million GP guilds for the near future.

Is it a "problem"? I don't know. It does seem odd that there is really no way to strategize around a tie at those levels. Max defense doesn't work for the reasons outlined above and max offense doesn't work either (as already noted).

It is what it is. Honestly, it is less stressful, knowing that it doesn't matter - we're going to tie no matter what.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36524 posts Member
    How does first place for both make any more sense than second place for both, other than you want more stuff?

Split the rewards equally for ties.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH