TW matchmaking [MERGE]

Replies

• LukeDukem8 wrote: »
    I think there is an cause for concern that a guild with 2 mega whales that have 6 mil in total GP, could effectively beat a guild with 50 members at 600k, The 600k guild would be drastically out manned in probably both the amount of g11/12 toons, but mods as well.

The example above is probably not a real world example, but it illustrates the point. The issue could become a bigger with larger guilds of 120 mil with only half active, facing a guild at 60 mil who might not even have players at level 80 yet.

You have to have 25 members register to participate...
  • I think the big issue, regardless of match being perfect or a point variance, is out of said points you have no clue how many have stacked teams. It could be 1 player or it could be 10. I have a gp of 2.1mil but can only put together maybe 4 squads of 80k plus. My ships are trash except one my arena at 340k. My highest chars maybe equal 100k.so i don't think it matters what the gp total is, it's the quality of the squads within those said points
  • This last TW our active GP was 92m. According to in-game guild search, the opposing guild's total GP is 82m. We easily trounced them.
  • My guild is at over 77mil and have been handily crushed in both tws. Mainly due to the fact that most of my guild mates accounts are similar to mine. Not large enough depth pool to draw from.
  • 501stsquad
    12 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    That's just happened to my guild. We're about 75M gp with 100% participation matched up against a 100M gp guild. The battle was pretty close, but in the end, even with less participation the amount of g12, gk, zaris, chase in the other guild created a great advantage against us.
    I think not only the gp should be considered for match making but also the number of participants.
  • If you don't know the actual GP of the opposing guild, how can you say one way or the other how out classed you are? To argue that the people complaining about being over powered is an argument built on ignorance. You don't know if was a 50 on 50 fight or a 40 on 40. Some people could have legimate complaints about the issues with matchmaking. Not all complaints are from understaffed guilds.
  • It’s really not unbalanced. It based on the tier rewards; meaning that if you have 40M Active GP you could face a guild up to 49.9M active GP in the same tier. This is where the disparity is coming from.
  • Julmay wrote: »
    If you don't know the actual GP of the opposing guild, how can you say one way or the other how out classed you are? To argue that the people complaining about being over powered is an argument built on ignorance. You don't know if was a 50 on 50 fight or a 40 on 40. Some people could have legimate complaints about the issues with matchmaking. Not all complaints are from understaffed guilds.

You can easily find the opposing guild with the guild search tool or in the swgoh.gg and check their gp.
  • That just happened to my guild. We're about 75M gp with 100% participation matched up against a 100M gp guild. The battle was pretty close, but in the end, even with less participation the amount of g12, gk, zaris, chase in the other guild created a great advantage against us.
    I think not only the gp should be considered for match making but also the number of participants.
  • TroelsVastrup
    182 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    We (combined GP ~100 million) got burned by a guild with WAY more powerful players. we are talking several G12 7/ NS and ewoks squads, a guildleader with every toon at 7* (except hermit Yoda at 5* and Wampa) just to give a few examples of the level of p2w.

there was no way we could have won, we could have made a tie if we had inserted bad defence teams. But who plays to get a tie?

My guess is that they only participated with some members to keep their collected GP down. a clever strategy to "come down" to a level were it is possible to actually win. I have no idea of how they convinced the rest of the guild not to participate

They gamed the system and I don't blame them. But it shows that the matching formula needs some tweaking.
    Post edited by TroelsVastrup on
  • That's just happened to my guild. We're about 75M gp with 100% participation matched up against a 100M gp guild. The battle was pretty close, but in the end, even with less participation the amount of g12, gk, zaris, chase in the other guild created a great advantage against us.
  • Average arena rank would be a good measure to use as well.
  • They will probably alternate wars. And that was my point exactly. I think we were matched exactly the same for both wars. They were extremely tough on defense and cut through us like butter
  • Every zone we opened had more and more 75k plus defense squads with a sprinkle of 7* nightsisters talzin and unmasked ren. Cls also, just for good measure lol
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    There's a lot of possible error in looking up your opponent on the Guild search or swgoh.gg.
    First, if not everyone's registered at swgoh.gg, then there will be a lot of GP missing. Second, you have no idea who signed up to be in the TW (big unknown there). And finally, what is the total GP from heroes <6k that can't participate? I'm not sure if the matchmaking takes this GP into account or not; over 50 people that portion of unused GP could add to a lot.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Julmay wrote: »
    If you don't know the actual GP of the opposing guild, how can you say one way or the other how out classed you are? To argue that the people complaining about being over powered is an argument built on ignorance. You don't know if was a 50 on 50 fight or a 40 on 40. Some people could have legimate complaints about the issues with matchmaking. Not all complaints are from understaffed guilds.

you can get a pretty solid impression by the number of defense squads. We were facing a Guild with 13 mill gp advantage. Since we both could field 24 defensive squads you can assume they had around 48 ppl registered
  • 501stsquad wrote: »
    That's just happened to my guild. We're about 75M gp with 100% participation matched up against a 100M gp guild. The battle was pretty close, but in the end, even with less participation the amount of g12, gk, zaris, chase in the other guild created a great advantage against us.

I agree but I think matchmaker needs to go more nuanced basing it off of your combat effective gp taken only from g9-12 toons. TB encouraged/forced us to bloat our GP by 7* and leveling trash toons to get more stars. (I added about 400k to my GP by just paying attention to trash for once but my combat effective gp would be way less than it is if you only counted my g9+ toons). And now TW is taking that GP as a fair estimate of your combat effective gp. Which it totally isn't.

You can't outright require bloating your GP with trash to get maximum reward and then have a new mode assume that GP reflects only combat ready toons. It's already proven to be matching guilds up against guilds that vastly outclass them in effective combat power even if their GP says that on paper they should be very closely matched.

As far as I can tell the only guilds the current matchmaking will get regular close matches are the ones that are more hard core or full of whales. The rest will just gamble that this time they won't get RNGed into a match they lost before a single squad was deployed.
  • Captain_Apollo
    423 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    kalidor wrote: »
    There's a lot of possible error in looking up your opponent on the Guild search or swgoh.gg.
    First, if not everyone's registered at swgoh.gg, then there will be a lot of GP missing. Second, you have no idea who signed up to be in the TW (big unknown there). And finally, what is the total GP from heroes <6k that can't participate? I'm not sure if the matchmaking takes this GP into account or not; over 50 people that portion of unused GP could add to a lot.

this last TW we were bracketed in the 25-29 million slot and based on total gp for each person we could only get there if it counted <6k toons too. In the first TW we also bumped up our award bracket by leveling up all our trash toons to level 50. I'm fairly certain matchmaking therefore counts trash toons that can't even be used in TW when it's figuring out who to match you against.

This means doing well in TB (which requires boosting trash toons for extra GP) actively hurts you in TW matchmaking by considering toons that aren't even eligible for use. Matchmaking needs to be redone to only count the GP of g9+ toons (that is only the toons you've clearly put resources into making combat effective; you might boost trash to g8 for TB deployment points but barring whale status probably don't boost trash to g9+).
  • Maybe all those folks who artificially inflated their GP by only raising characters to Level 53 and Gear 6 and feeling the effects now.
    I fight the good fight
  • Andyttaylor82
    11 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    How is the match making done for tw?? Is it a bracket system for guilds between a certain power?? Like 80-89.99 gp u could have a guild at 80.15 gp against a 89.00gp??
    Post edited by Andyttaylor82 on
  • FierceRevan
    1315 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I think your "?" Button is sticking. The GP of those who joined the event are matched as close as possible to the GP of another guild's group who joined the event. As for a numberical range, I doubt they tell us that. They aren't exactly known for open communication. (I.e. See various "please tel us" threads)
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • I was wondering because the rewards r broken down to gp brackets
  • They haven't published exactly how the matchmaking is done.
  • I was wondering because the rewards r broken down to gp brackets

That gp of those that joined the tw not the whole guild gp ( unless the whole gp joined)
  • The whole guild joined and we r about 81.5 gp
  • We’ve had two easy victories. But GP was not a defining factor. Amazing leadership, great strategy and excellent team cohesion won us both battles. We never fielded an unbeatable team. Only top players have just activated GK, for example. But we just happened to have some fleet fanatics, smany of us can deploy two fleets and still have to other fleets to attack. So I don’t believe GP difference it’s the important factor. May be, in the future, some sort of ranking should be created (even if not player visible) to have a better mach. But without history they don’t have many elements to do the matchmaking.
    In other words, give it some time.
  • Yes, another word, another guild, a same country. I have read a post about other Vietnamese guild (Vietnam Diamond Force) met an overpowered guild (65mil GP vs 75mil GP), and now, I do report that my guild, Vietnam Hero Group, met a same joke: 73mil GP met 82mil GP, and they destroyed us with no mercy, 80% of their def teams are over 70k power from every map.
    So, can you make us a fair match? Or this TW is just a weird and poor idea from you?
  • There is always going to be a certain amount of variation in the strength of your opponents. It's completely impossible to get perfectly dead even matches every time. Get used to winning some, and losing others. This is coming from someone who just lost their most recent TW. I need to get good, not complain about the difficulty.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    There is always going to be a certain amount of variation in the strength of your opponents. It's completely impossible to get perfectly dead even matches every time. Get used to winning some, and losing others. This is coming from someone who just lost their most recent TW. I need to get good, not complain about the difficulty.

Uhh excuse me but anything over a couple million GP is not fair period. A 5-6 million difference is definitely wrong and by no means within a reasonable amount of variation
  • It’s only 8m. That’s a 14% increase. High end guilds can tie easily.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.