Data Card Chances 5 to 330?

Prev1
Just curious, but has anyone actually ever spent 1,299 crystals and gotten 330 shards from a data pack. I've only ever opened a few and the most I've gotten is 15.

"Possible shard drops include: 5, 7, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 50, 80, 145, 230, 330."

If the character they offer is in cantina or a hard node then isn't it better to spend the 1300 crystals on refreshes and energy if you get less then 15 shards on average?

This post might get moved, but I haven't seen a similar topic elsewhere.

Replies

• I believe the general consensus is that they are a total waste of crystals. People have gotten 330 shards as well as 10, 15,25 as well but the if I remember a good majority of the packs yield the minimal 5 shards.
  • I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting anything more than 20. And i lurk the forums a lot haha
  • Youre probably more likely to win the lottery that getting 330 shards. Average shard drop is apparently 7
  • I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting anything more than 20. And i lurk the forums a lot haha

So what your saying is its a black hole that people throw their money into?

Someone read this and lie to me, tell me you've bought one pack and the sky's opened up, a light full of rainbows and sunshine smacked you across the face, and when you came to you looked down at your game to see 330 shards of something, anything......

• 330 shards is only possible at 95+/100
  • Dramgon wrote: »
    I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting anything more than 20. And i lurk the forums a lot haha

So what your saying is its a black hole that people throw their money into?

Someone read this and lie to me, tell me you've bought one pack and the sky's opened up, a light full of rainbows and sunshine smacked you across the face, and when you came to you looked down at your game to see 330 shards of something, anything......

I have gotten 145 before. Otherwise they averaged for me around 7. But there's no secret to buying them or information that could help you make this choice. If you buy them expect to get 5 per, and you won't be disappointed.
  • I have only seen 1 person actually get the 330 shards during the Kylo Ren (Unmasked) release.
  • I’ve seen YouTube videos with pack opening. They didn’t even get 20
  • Nope. Seriously DON'T DO IT. My fellow guild officers and I stress to our members like crazy to spend your crystals wisely, and this is probably the worst way you can spend crystals (aside from LS/DS refreshes). No, I repeat DO NOT spend the 1299 crystals on the slim-to-none chance to get higher than 15 shards. You're better off saving your crystals and buying toon/mat shards from the numerous stores during any of the numerous refreshes.
  • Its just a lot of rng to get that 330, ive heard of it and seen it but its rare as a unicorn
  • There are different packs for crystals that show up when a character is first introduced, like the one you're referring to. Then you are 99.9 percent (or so) likely to get 5 shards. At this point though the character won't be available anywhere else in the game.

Then there have been packs for factions or toons that are already farmable around events. These tend to cost less and always give at least 10 shards and often will average perhaps 15. It might be random when there is more than one character, which one you'll get shards for however...
  • I saved and bought the pack when fulcrum was released and got 12 shards and haven't bothered with them again. My brother who started playing not too long ago thought he'd try his luck with the FOSFTP and only got 7 shards and was so mad at himself for getting the pack. I never did tell him to stay away from those packs unfortunately.
  • Khayman wrote: »
    Its just a lot of rng to get that 330, ive heard of it and seen it but its rare as a unicorn

Can that unicorn defeat CLS?
  • Dramgon
    86 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Nope. Seriously DON'T DO IT. My fellow guild officers and I stress to our members like crazy to spend your crystals wisely, and this is probably the worst way you can spend crystals (aside from LS/DS refreshes). No, I repeat DO NOT spend the 1299 crystals on the slim-to-none chance to get higher than 15 shards. You're better off saving your crystals and buying toon/mat shards from the numerous stores during any of the numerous refreshes.

So why do they even offer it, in the hopes that people throw money at the game, and don't read posts like this one?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Dramgon wrote: »
    If the character they offer is in cantina or a hard node then isn't it better to spend the 1300 crystals on refreshes and energy if you get less then 15 shards on average?

Sure. But the packs are there for people who really want that character RIGHT NOW. They don't want to wait however long it would take them to farm it from the node. Often this is because they wouldn't be able to finish the character in time for it to be used in the event it's required for, which is why these packs (for characters that are already farmable) tend to correspond to events requiring those characters.
  • The only thing worse than buying single character packs are buying faction packs hoping for one of the characters. It's the recipe for double disappointment.
  • Gawejn
    1104 posts Member
    It is lottery. If you would know how they program those packs you could decide if it is worth to buy them. I think 330 is less than 0.01% chance to get it. 20 shards or more is less than 2% chance to get it.
  • Weaver9000
    202 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Dramgon wrote: »
    Nope. Seriously DON'T DO IT. My fellow guild officers and I stress to our members like crazy to spend your crystals wisely, and this is probably the worst way you can spend crystals (aside from LS/DS refreshes). No, I repeat DO NOT spend the 1299 crystals on the slim-to-none chance to get higher than 15 shards. You're better off saving your crystals and buying toon/mat shards from the numerous stores during any of the numerous refreshes.

So why do they even offer it, in the hopes that people throw money at the game, and don't read posts like this one?

Generally speaking the f2p model requires a game to accomdate big spenders, mild spenders and non spenders. Whenever you ask "why?" The answer is to accommodate one of these groups.

Big spenders have deep pockets, and enjoy getting new stuff ASAP. Highly competitve, collectors, etc. These packs are an option for those types of players. A means for them to get what they want immediately, without the game being flooded with it. For a while that big spender gets to ride high, being one of the select few who have the new thing.

They don't necessarily want people to mistakenly buy it. That causes bad will, which may lose them users (and potential spenders). At the same time that person may luck out and get 330 shards. If so, they are likely to become a more frequent spender. So they leave the option open.
  • Varlie
    1286 posts Member
    I've heard that it works out to $200-300 to take a character to 7 star with those packs

Most people that play this game do not come on the forum - and maybe there's a larger % that lurk but probably only hit the "General" section.
    If you watch CG does this thing where they will release a character a certain way, provide a reasonable $10 pack for a bunch more shards - and it'll leave you between 5-15 shards from the the next star.... so, saving crystals and choosing wisely (Mother Talzin was wise... btw) you can then use your crystals to bring them up to the next star.
    So long as you know what CG is doing there, and your goal is just the next star, and you're planning for it - then you're fine. Since playing this game since start - I've only gotten 5-7 shards in the packs - once got 12 - that 330 is a myth and it's really no different then a slot machine saying you can win a million $ from it. You "can" but fact is you won't.
    Thank you for reading another installment of - "This Guppy Life"
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Varlie wrote: »
    I've heard that it works out to $200-300 to take a character to 7 star with those packs

My experience with Mother Talzin, NS Zombie and Unmasked Kylo was that range. Averaged out to about $250 per toon for those 3.
  • WhenISayRun
    246 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I hope someday they have to display the odds for each potential drop.
  • I hope someday they have to display the odds for each potential drop.
    It'll be the same day we don't have a game to play any more.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Think of it this way: You have a 100% chance of getting 5 shards. You could get more, but you probably won’t. If you aren’t willing to spend that many crystals on 5 shards, then don’t. But if you are, then more power to you and I hope you get lucky!
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Off topic but...
    My fellow guild officers and I stress to our members like crazy to spend your crystals wisely, and this is probably the worst way you can spend crystals (aside from LS/DS refreshes).

This is seriously the worst advice ever lol
    If u don't ever refreshes ls/DS energy ull never advance in this game. And 50 crystals for refresh is a steal

Because they do the math, and come to the conclusion, that 2 new characters for a max price of (330/5)*1299 each is worth it.
  • Dramgon
    86 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Messed up the quote*

"If you watch CG does this thing where they will release a character a certain way, provide a reasonable $10 pack for a bunch more shards - and it'll leave you between 5-15 shards from the the next star.."

I do love how it seems some of the more recent packs have halved in this manner. They use to give you the shards needed to unlock the character or bump you up to a full next level 5* to 6*. It seems recently though they give you 40 shards in the bundles that cost 50 dollars. Thus leaving you half way there to unlocking a 4* character that takes 80 shards.
  • Bjpac04 wrote: »
    Off topic but...
    My fellow guild officers and I stress to our members like crazy to spend your crystals wisely, and this is probably the worst way you can spend crystals (aside from LS/DS refreshes).

If u don't ever refreshes ls/DS energy ull never advance in this game. And 50 crystals for refresh is a steal

I would actually agree with this advice. I never EVER refresh hard nodes and I think I've progressed pretty well. My Lobot is only 6-star, but I think I can live with that.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Sandybard wrote: »
    Bjpac04 wrote: »
    Off topic but...

I would actually agree with this advice. I never EVER refresh hard nodes and I think I've progressed pretty well. My Lobot is only 6-star, but I think I can live with that.

You seem to be talking about two different things - refreshing the energy vs. refreshing the hard node attempts. I have no idea which Lenny meant.
  • Getting over 20 shards is about as common as getting 6 or 7 carbantis from the challenges. It just doesn’t happen.