I feel a disturbance in the force......

Prev1
First off this isn't a rant about the situation of the game, because a paid element has always been included within the game and is there to improve and enhance a players experience at a quicker rate.

However with the release of the Rey Hero's Journey event I feel as if a change has occurred. The requirement of the event suggests to me the developers have finally subtly admitted that this event is solely aimed at paying players. Before the rage comments about this being a F2P rant .....Let me explain this :

1. With previous events i.e. Luke's Hero Journey the players who were able to unlock him at 7* where either VETERAN players, who had been playing for a long period of time and subsequently had all the required characters at 7 stars. Another group of players would be those who were willing to PAY money to 7* the characters. (NOTE: For reference I am not a F2P player, the one time i spent money was during this event, in which i payed to 7* Old Ben, because i felt that it wasnt worth missing out on a legendary simply because i was missing one character).

2. But here's the problem. This event has removed one of those groups previously mentioned. The veteran characters required have only been farmable for around a month, because of this the amount of time you have been playing the game is irrelevant. For example you could have been playing for a year before they were released or a week before they were released and still would not be able to 7* before the event. Personally the period of time suggests that the Dev's have purely based the event around Pay 2 Win players because that is simply the only way to achieve the requirements.

I understand that a pay element has always been available in this game and i have absolutely no problem with that, alternatively i completely understand that F2P players may have to indeed wait a little longer to acquire a certain character. But the consensus from this event now suggests to me that paying money is no longer a way of simply improving your game experience but is REQUIRED in order to keep up and compete in the new meta.

Okay...... let the rage comments flow through you .....

Replies

• TVF
    36526 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Only problem is you can have fun playing this game without being a part of the new meta. I have fun every day and I have no CLS. Or GK. Heck I just finally unlocked Raid Han a few weeks ago and I've been playing for like six months now.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • How dare you disagree with the devs! Prepare to have your post deleted, no logical arguments allowed.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Only problem is you can have fun playing this game without being a part of the new meta. I have fun every day and I have no CLS. Or GK. Heck I just finally unlocked Raid Han a few weeks ago and I've been playing for like six months now.

Well said, TVF. I love this game, and just look at my roster. https://swgoh.gg/u/omegas021/collection/
    My only G12 is General Grievous. Why? Because he's my favorite. I use no rebels and avoid the meta at all costs, because I play how I want.
  • ConCrusher wrote: »
    How dare you disagree with the devs! Prepare to have your post deleted, no logical arguments allowed.

Real talk
  • They’ve been out for exactly two weeks.
  • I was really disappointed that both Vets went to the most expensive Cantina nodes. 1 cantina and 1 GW would have made people panic farm, but made it accessible to those who aren't pay to play. Especially given the tough farming for BB8 compared to R2.

As soon as the Vets went in those nodes, I stopped caring about Rey and started farming for LS/DS TBs. And I panic farmed OB for CLS and bought a pack to finish him off.

I don't want it to he easy. I got masses of satisfaction in 7*ing OB from nothing inside a couple weeks, but I do want a mountain that's realistically climbable.
  • Ill do it as f2p.
    But im always top 3 arena and ships. And i save crystals for situations like this (20k).
    If u want a premium char by being f2p and also not só good at arena. Maybe asking too much
  • ConCrusher wrote: »
    How dare you disagree with the devs! Prepare to have your post deleted, no logical arguments allowed.
    TVF wrote: »

You've played for 6 moths, ok man you clearly don't have the full picture yet. Don't spoil a perfectly fine post with your comment. You have fun cause you haven't hit the paywalls yet. You need some more experience before you weigh in the this particular matter. Sure you CAN have fun without Kenobi, CLS, Han. This is because you've played for 6 months, you can't know what's happening to those tho have player 2 or 3 times as much as you. The difference in a match can come down to one hit, one decision, one debuff that got resisted, whose Han goes first. You need to stop negatively reply to the man's post with 6 months of experience in the game. I'm not attacking you. Just some friendly advice, one day you'll be there too
  • GP2C12 wrote: »
    Ill do it as f2p.
    But im always top 3 arena and ships. And i save crystals for situations like this (20k).
    If u want a premium char by being f2p and also not só good at arena. Maybe asking too much
    Are you 10? Maybe you don’t realize how bad games have gotten in the greed department over the last five years. Not too long ago it wouldn’t have been “asking too much” to be able to unlock a character simply by being a very dedicated player.

Keep on pushing that can down the road though.
  • As soon as the Vets went in those nodes, I stopped caring about Rey and started farming for LS/DS TBs. And I panic farmed OB for CLS and bought a pack to finish him off.

This is how I feel, I don't care about Rey, the Vets don't do anything for me so I'm willing to wait 2nd,3rd or 4th time around to get her.

I'm more hoping the release some new First Order toons.

Dark Side for like.
  • It's a different model but similar to any p2p character. Honestly as a f2p player I prefer this over the way Mt was handled. I'll miss out this time but next time I can be ready. There isn't a way to get my 7* for f2p.
  • While I agree you can skip meta and play how you want, this is not for the majority of players.
    I was a dolphin in 2016, because it was very cheap to buy crystals where I'm from (now it's even more expensive than in USA), so I have a lot of toons and find it very nice to be able to test different compositions in GW and now TW. So having new toons is amazing, even if they are 3* gIII.
    But rey is a character I really enjoy, and to not be able to get her is something that turns me down badly. Even if she's not meta breaking (which I don't see happening), I would love to play Rey again (I farmed scavenger rey since day one and used her a lot back in the day). I like using unmasked Kylo and the nightsisters, even with them being 3*, but Rey is just a distant dream now and it sucks.
  • This isn't really any different than the 7* toon requirements found in DS TB platoons. Talzin, Zombie, Spirit, these are highly controlled releases. You either paid or you wait. 2 years.

The game has shifted from factions to specifics and it all comes in panic fashion.

If you feel so strongly about the system write a letter to Chris Lee that highlights EA's "predatory behavior" with the Star Wars license beyond BF2.
  • DasMurich wrote: »
    This isn't really any different than the 7* toon requirements found in DS TB platoons. Talzin, Zombie, Spirit, these are highly controlled releases. You either paid or you wait. 2 years.

The game has shifted from factions to specifics and it all comes in panic fashion.

If you feel so strongly about the system write a letter to Chris Lee that highlights EA's "predatory behavior" with the Star Wars license beyond BF2.
    or we can write a letter to our senators instead :)

Go Hawaii!

• Bz183
    170 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Saying this event is only for p2p is rubbish. I am sitting at 68/100 on both vets %100 f2p. We all could see this coming from a country mile away when they announced this. Just because you didn't have the dicipline/foresight to save your crystals for this doesn't give you the right to complain.
  • If you're truly a "veteran" player you should be hitting top spots of your arenas thus having enough crystals to get them to 7*. There were many people who didn't get CLS because of Old Ben.
  • Rogee
    178 posts Member
    Both Old Ben and Farmboy Luke were on 8 and 12 energy nodes, stinks that Vets are both on 16.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    B0untryHR7 wrote: »
    ConCrusher wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

You've played for 6 moths, ok man you clearly don't have the full picture yet. Don't spoil a perfectly fine post with your comment. You have fun cause you haven't hit the paywalls yet. You need some more experience before you weigh in the this particular matter. Sure you CAN have fun without Kenobi, CLS, Han. This is because you've played for 6 months, you can't know what's happening to those tho have player 2 or 3 times as much as you. The difference in a match can come down to one hit, one decision, one debuff that got resisted, whose Han goes first. You need to stop negatively reply to the man's post with 6 months of experience in the game. I'm not attacking you. Just some friendly advice, one day you'll be there too

I didn't chase CLS. I'm holding top 200 in arena. Good enough for me. I don't feel the need to "keep up" as OP seems to be complaining about.

And I may actually chase Rey, haven't decided yet. My point is that you can still enjoy this game without chasing the latest character.

So unless you're at the top of arena you can't have fun after 2 years? I doubt that, but if that's true, I'll probably just stop playing after 2 years. Which would be at least 1 year longer than any other mobile game I've played. So win-win.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Bz183 wrote: »
    Saying this event is only for p2p is rubbish. I am sitting at 68/100 on both vets %100 f2p. We all could see this coming from a country mile away when they announced this. Just because you didn't have the dicipline/foresight to save your crystals for this doesn't give you the right to complain.

"Dicipline/foresight", seriously? I can't finish top 20 on arena and not because I don't have a nice squad, but because I'm surrounded by whales with 3mil galactic power, while I'm at 2.4. Their mods give at least 100+ speed for each toon, while my best set can get me 105, and the next best set only 85 to already high speed characters. So I finish at 40th everyday (150 crystals). Only in the last week I was able to compete in ship arena and got the 100 crystals (never more, because I don't have 7* capitals with 7* reaper and millennium, like the top players on my arena). Even with discipline I could never buy han/chewie from the shop, because o use 150 crystals for refreshes on normal energy, plus 200/300 on cantina and that's it! I spared 1800 crystals for double drops and got both vets to 5*, with Han almost 6* now, but I'm still missing almost 300 shards, and without money it's just a pipe dream for me!
  • Xezee
    274 posts Member
    To be completely honest, with average drop rates, they gave us the exact amount of time required to 7* both veterans, assuming 3 cantina refreshes a day. This calculation includes double drop event, which offsets bad RNG.
    So, while OP might be right in a way, the truth is we had time, assuming farming started on day 1.
  • Drogon1996
    17 posts Member
    edited December 2017
  • Drogon1996
    17 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I was saving my crystals about 3 weeks before the announcement of the event and I still don't have nearly enough. Props to you for getting it done (that is seriously impressive if you're f2p) but there is more to this than foresight, you need to be tops in arena too and I dont crack the top 100.

I knew I was going to miss this event and I'm at peace with that. Whenever it resurfaces itll happen. I pumped 100% of my resources into the scavengers (I already had FO ready to go to get BB8) but telling people they mismanaged resources isnt really fair when you dont know their situations.

My thought process is: Rey is for paying players and a reward for them for supporting the game. If I were them I wouldn't give EA a dime for this nonsense but they can spend how they want. The only downside is the more whales spend because of this event, the more EA is going to release characters in this manner and it'll be the new norm.
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Winterbio wrote: »
    Bz183 wrote: »

"Dicipline/foresight", seriously? I can't finish top 20 on arena and not because I don't have a nice squad, but because I'm surrounded by whales with 3mil galactic power, while I'm at 2.4. Their mods give at least 100+ speed for each toon, while my best set can get me 105, and the next best set only 85 to already high speed characters. So I finish at 40th everyday (150 crystals). Only in the last week I was able to compete in ship arena and got the 100 crystals (never more, because I don't have 7* capitals with 7* reaper and millennium, like the top players on my arena). Even with discipline I could never buy han/chewie from the shop, because o use 150 crystals for refreshes on normal energy, plus 200/300 on cantina and that's it! I spared 1800 crystals for double drops and got both vets to 5*, with Han almost 6* now, but I'm still missing almost 300 shards, and without money it's just a pipe dream for me!

Let me give you a tip as a fellow f2p. Stockpile 20k crystals for occasions like this. Yeah it sucks but it's the price you pay to not spend real money.
  • Xezee wrote: »
    To be completely honest, with average drop rates, they gave us the exact amount of time required to 7* both veterans, assuming 3 cantina refreshes a day. This calculation includes double drop event, which offsets bad RNG.
    So, while OP might be right in a way, the truth is we had time, assuming farming started on day 1.

Not true... Sorry to say

Definitely not. I was using one refresh a day cause not everyone is top 3 arena, and both are barely 5*.
    This event is locked behind a paywall, just like Wicket or NS. Mostly RNG and p2w design, i'm not excited by this "event" anymore.
    Luke was doable, this one has just been built to get more cash through frustration. I'm not frustrated cause i don't care but i certainly wouldn't support such greedy design.

Definitely not. I was using one refresh a day cause not everyone is top 3 arena, and both are barely 5*.
    This event is locked behind a paywall, just like Wicket or NS. Mostly RNG and p2w design, i'm not excited by this "event" anymore.
    Luke was doable, this one has just been built to get more cash through frustration. I'm not frustrated cause i don't care but i certainly wouldn't support such greedy design.

well said

Winterbio wrote: »
    Bz183 wrote: »

Let me give you a tip as a fellow f2p. Stockpile 20k crystals for occasions like this. Yeah it sucks but it's the price you pay to not spend real money.

With one cantina refresh I was saving 150 average each day. It took me two weeks to get 1800 crystals, and I was falling behind on every farm in the game (still need death trooper for my ship arena, better mods, that never dropped, Han snow and before that I was missing Finn), so I had to fall behind my farm for six months to get her? Right.
  • Im sure, that not so many people will pay money for ray. I also dont have cls, i dont need him, because i dont like light side. :D
    There are just to many toons in this game, i dont think devs can get a big amount of money from a one new toon. Even if this toon is overpowered. Thats just my opinion