Mk 3 Sienar Holo Projector = Pain

Prev1
Have you ever reliably had a drop rate HIGHER than the alleged 1/3 for Mk 3 Sienar Holo Projector? I find myself beyond excited when I actually hit anywhere near the 1/3 benchmark. I’m so accustomed the numbers closer to 1/8th, which would be 5 pieces of gear for 3 full refreshes, or one or two pieces of gear per energy refresh.

It’s gotten to the point where I wince every time I hit Sim 20 because I’m afraid of the absurdly low numbers I get every time. Feels like I’m literally tossing crystals and energy into the trash, but how else am I supposed to get the thousands of pieces I need? RNG dictates I should be seeing good drop rates at some point to balance out somewhere near 1/3 over time... But it just isn’t happening. Any one else felt the same?

PS anyone that thinks they’re particularly witty or feels like they’re about to drop some knowledge about RNG or the laws of large numbers: don’t. I know how it works.

Replies

• It's cheaper to buy them out of shipments
  • If I need one, I find I just spend the 300 crystals for it rather than farm it.
  • Same here, I usually just spend the 300. Cause I'd definitely waste more on refreshes. Those stun guns are also a pain. But definitely ridiculous considering you only have to farm 20 for a set. Sometimes it would take me 3 days of regular no refresh farming. So I'm definitely glad to see them in any shop and swipe them up every chance I get
  • The drop rate of purple gear is not 1/3. 33% is the drop rate of shards. The drop rate of purple gear is closer to 20% or 1/5, so don't expect it to average up to 33%. :)

Check out the guild shop. So easy to get holos there now. Also, if you're scoring high enough in the arenas, you may have some crystals from time to time to grab one for 300 crystals. (also keep your eyes peeled on the shard shop)

But 1/3, no.
  • Might I suggest, if you're an Android user taking advantage of the rey promotion. I used the bonus gems and her shards in the shard shop to beef up some of my resources. I'm now at 3 whole and 80 pieces of those dreaded things. You can use as low as 10 dollars and the great thing thing is you don't have to use the funds stricly for this game. Its a win win
  • Google play promotion that is
  • You've never had to farm for a mk4 projector then if you think mk3 is bad. Mk4 zaltin bacta gel is also hell to farm
  • The devs should just add the mk3 holo projector to Tac gear, nothing in there is any good after three months of playing.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Dretzle wrote: »
    The drop rate of purple gear is not 1/3. 33% is the drop rate of shards. The drop rate of purple gear is closer to 20% or 1/5, so don't expect it to average up to 33%. :)

Check out the guild shop. So easy to get holos there now. Also, if you're scoring high enough in the arenas, you may have some crystals from time to time to grab one for 300 crystals. (also keep your eyes peeled on the shard shop)

But 1/3, no.

this
    + something witty about rng and law or large numbers. =D
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Check out the guild shop. So easy to get holos there now.

Easy, but not that cost effective. Nearly 3.5 coins/crystal equivalent from the store, vs. stun cuffs that are only 2 coins/crystal.
  • Id say only 10% of my gear is farmed these days. I save crystals and buy them, get them through the stores or pray for the times I get something useful from the raid gear drops.
  • Buy in all the shops, i still need a metric ton but less and less good toons need them for me as ive filled tons of gears spots now
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

Easy, but not that cost effective. Nearly 3.5 coins/crystal equivalent from the store, vs. stun cuffs that are only 2 coins/crystal.

still worth it though. i can afford getting them both when they show up, so i don't have to choose the most cost effective one.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Agreed that they are a huge pain, but they're actually more available than they used to be. I've been able to amass a good number fairly quickly without using crystals just by grabbing them from the guild event store and shard shop whenever I see them (you can get even more from the guild store, but I save my currency there for shards). I never use energy to farm them anymore. It's just not worth it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

still worth it though. i can afford getting them both when they show up, so i don't have to choose the most cost effective one.

Sounds nice. I can't afford to buy either.
  • The devs should just add the mk3 holo projector to Tac gear, nothing in there is any good after three months of playing.

This. If not the Holo Projector then they need to add something else to the TAC gear challenge because it’s so useless at this point it’s almost not even worth the sim tickets.
  • Liath wrote: »

Stun guns will do you no good if you need a holo.
  • leef wrote: »
    The drop rate of purple gear is not 1/3. 33% is the drop rate of shards. The drop rate of purple gear is closer to 20% or 1/5, so don't expect it to average up to 33%. :)

But 1/3, no.

this
    + something witty about rng and law or large numbers. =D

+ something salty about EA
  • MLGebra
    343 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Also thanks for all the replies, I’ve decided I’m no longer going to spend crystals on energy refreshes for gear haha!

I wasn’t aware it was 1/5th for purple gear, that’s just sad. Thanks for setting me straight, @Dretzle. Never again!
  • MLGebra wrote: »
    Also thanks for all the replies, I’ve decided I’m no longer going to spend crystals on energy refreshes for gear haha!

I wasn’t aware it was 1/5th for purple gear, that’s just sad. Thanks for setting me straight, @Dretzle. Never again!

No doubt. I still use my free energy to farm hard to get gear, like the new gear 11 gear, but I'm also close to being done with all hard node only farms.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Lol. Sometimes I feel like I am playing a different game than other people. I need 600 holos and 1600 stun cuffs for the gear levels on my wish list right now. It's never just one thing.
  • Violett_Vio
    4 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    If I need one, I find I just spend the 300 crystals for it rather than farm it.
    To farm 20 Sienars is easy kitten, try to farm thousands of Carbanti Mk3 to gear, say, GK :)
    Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    Got 220 mk 3 holos just sitting there. They've never been easier to obtain from the various stores.
  • Liath wrote: »

Lol. Sometimes I feel like I am playing a different game than other people. I need 600 holos and 1600 stun cuffs for the gear levels on my wish list right now. It's never just one thing.

I've found it easier to try to collect gear for one or two toons at a time. Much easier to decide how to use your limited resources. Of course, I have a lot of shard shop coins from the google promotion, so I buy stun cuffs or holos from there whenever I see them, but if the currency is limited, like the guild shop, one or two toons at a time.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I've found it easier to try to collect gear for one or two toons at a time. Much easier to decide how to use your limited resources.

I'm a hoarder so I need to see the bigger picture before I can decide to commit to giving gear to any particular character. I need to see what I'm sacrificing and how many other of those pieces I might need for other people and then evaluate whether the character I picked is going to be worth it or not. It's not like I'm actually gearing all of those people, they're just in a spreadsheet. Like I said, different games. :)
  • They offer a great deal, 1 for 300 crystals or 2 for 600. So generous and oh what a bargain. In the long run it’s just easier to buy them than waste the energy and crystals on refreshes.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I've found it easier to try to collect gear for one or two toons at a time. Much easier to decide how to use your limited resources.

I'm a hoarder...

hey, that's not possible =D
    leef wrote: »

Sounds nice. I can't afford to buy either.

• I buy them all out of the stores and shard shop
  • These were one of the most complained about gear pieces... until they redid the Guild Store. We still need lots of them, but they can be purchased in abundance there now. I'm surprised anyone still has a complaint about them. This must be the internet or something.
  • Don't try to make sense of Gear in general. Whether drop rate, number of node locations, rarity, cost, etc.

How and why there's MK 3 _____ is just a single item, versus another MK 3 ______ you need 20 Salvage to make it, versus another MK 3 _____ where you need 50 salvage to make it. Is just nuts.

Just keep farming, or buy it with crystals, or with the other in-game currencies in their stores.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.