Rey's Hero's Journey Character Requirements (12/06/2017) [MEGA]

Replies

• leef wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I do not understand anyones complaint about the farming. I agree it was short notice and that it was tough to get but everyone seems to think this event is P2P. Me and many guildmates will be able to unlock Rey with no paying. If you think things out and make sacrifices such as not buying as many refreshes to save crystals in anticipation for 2x drops etc it isnt that difficult. Yes it is still close but I am happy with it. I like legendary charactera being a sign of accomplishment(or pay lol). I wouldnt enjoy Legendary characters nearly as much if thry showed up every other month and everyone and their brother had one. It is unique to have a character that instead of just farming a node and you are done, you have to invest and plan for them. Making it that much more special and rare. I agree thr vets should have dropped maybe like 1/2weeks earlier and I do feel like this is the almost the max they can go w/o making a legendary event P2P. I feel like CG did a pretty good job on balance and when I get my Rey I will be that much more rewarded for my sacrifices an planning.

Not quite sure how that's possible. I have refreshed cantina energy up to 400 per day and spent it all on vets since they were farmable. I will not make it. Even with double drops. You either have incredible rng or are mistaken.

Honestly, ask yourself, would it make much business sense for a company to make it so the average player could obtain OP characters for free?

You must be the lucky exception, my friend. Lucky indeed.

There's also a chance that most of these stories are merely being posted by whales pretending to be f2p because the moment the f2p realizes they actually can't get these toons any more that they'll abandon the game, leaving nothing but whales to try and outspend each other. I've seen the "calculations" on here many times, none of them add up or work as f2p unless the player happens to be in the easiest arena in the game, or secretly spent money but didn't admit to it.

That must be it, if others are doing something you can't they either secretly spend money or are rediculously lucky ;)

Already noted that I've seen the "math" on these lucky people countless times. And surprise! It doesn't add up. But it's the internet so making an exaggerated claim and then just saying "well it worked for me" seems to be enough for some people to take as the truth. Not surprising.
  • Every whale will.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    I do not understand anyones complaint about the farming. I agree it was short notice and that it was tough to get but everyone seems to think this event is P2P. Me and many guildmates will be able to unlock Rey with no paying. If you think things out and make sacrifices such as not buying as many refreshes to save crystals in anticipation for 2x drops etc it isnt that difficult. Yes it is still close but I am happy with it. I like legendary charactera being a sign of accomplishment(or pay lol). I wouldnt enjoy Legendary characters nearly as much if thry showed up every other month and everyone and their brother had one. It is unique to have a character that instead of just farming a node and you are done, you have to invest and plan for them. Making it that much more special and rare. I agree thr vets should have dropped maybe like 1/2weeks earlier and I do feel like this is the almost the max they can go w/o making a legendary event P2P. I feel like CG did a pretty good job on balance and when I get my Rey I will be that much more rewarded for my sacrifices an planning.

Not quite sure how that's possible. I have refreshed cantina energy up to 400 per day and spent it all on vets since they were farmable. I will not make it. Even with double drops. You either have incredible rng or are mistaken.

Honestly, ask yourself, would it make much business sense for a company to make it so the average player could obtain OP characters for free?

There's also a chance that most of these stories are merely being posted by whales pretending to be f2p because the moment the f2p realizes they actually can't get these toons any more that they'll abandon the game, leaving nothing but whales to try and outspend each other. I've seen the "calculations" on here many times, none of them add up or work as f2p unless the player happens to be in the easiest arena in the game, or secretly spent money but didn't admit to it.

That must be it, if others are doing something you can't they either secretly spend money or are rediculously lucky ;)

Already noted that I've seen the "math" on these lucky people countless times. And surprise! It doesn't add up. But it's the internet so making an exaggerated claim and then just saying "well it worked for me" seems to be enough for some people to take as the truth. Not surprising.

Yea, i'm not like that. Maybe that's why i don't believe you actualy saw the math countless times. Well, maybe countless times if you can't count :p (it's a joke, don't worry about it)
    It's also why i don't believe it when people say it's impossible for f2p players. They said the same thing about thrawn, yet i unlocked him at 7* the first go around. So there's that.
    You can choose not to believe people when they say they're getting rey f2p if that makes you feel any better. There are probably a few of them lying. Simple fact of the matter is that it is possible under the right circumstances. It's really difficult and simply not possible for the overwhelming majority of the f2p playerbase, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible and that everyone who is able to get rey is just incredibly lucky.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

So you've seen their drop rates and seen how they spent cyrstals on them in shipmemts or seen how they saved up crystals for weeks in preparation? Man you're good.
  • Every whale will.

Ha. Beat me to it. Was going to say "all of them."
  • If you don’t get her you aren’t a whale.

I will absolutely get her. I’m hoping for $0, but I have no problems spending $30 for her if I can’t get her done through farming (which I probably won’t). I’m nowhere close to a whale.
  • Jamesm wrote: »

So you've seen their drop rates and seen how they spent cyrstals on them in shipmemts or seen how they saved up crystals for weeks in preparation? Man you're good.

When they share the number of shards they earn each day, as well as the # of times they use crystals to buy from the store and the total # of crystals they used, it's pretty easy. Some people are so excited to boast about it that they forgot to check their math.
  • Calx wrote: »
    I was trying to ascertain whether this shard was any deeper or more competitive than these other shards where people win #1 every single day for months on end. Do other people often drop from #10 to #80 in two days?

Your screen grabs show what my shard looked like one week after G12 was released. By spending a little money I used to be able to break the top 50 at least once in a while but that stopped back when Chaze came out. Since then everyone buys the meta the moment it's released. I have no interest in a real-world spending competition so I compete with the minnows and F2P to try to break the top 100. People on shards where F2P can take a top 5 spot have absolutely no idea how lucky they are in having that little of competition for resources.

• AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I've done the math. If you get 1st or 2nd in both arena and fleet daily, and have done nothing else with crystals... no buying gear from shipments, no refreshing arenas, no anything... you could buy both the Vets from shipments (barely) and still have had the minimum crystals available to refresh energy enough to do your daily 600's. But you would have to have started the day they dropped them into shipments. (mid October, if I remember correctly? I don't have the calcs sitting in front of me at the moment.)

There is also a bit of reduction in that tight acquisition schedule, due to some of that spent energy being used on their cantina nodes once they dropped there, and now a second round of double drops on those nodes.

So, yes. It was possible, however unlikely, for a pure FTP player to get the Vets farmed in time for Rey's event. But if they didn't already have FO (and by extension BB8) farmed and geared enough for the event, they still aren't getting her. And if they didn't have gear already stockpiled to get the Vets viable for the event (or got extremely lucky with rewards... but tell me, exactly how many carbontis can one acquire with no extra crystals or excess energy available for two months?), they won't be getting her, either. If they aren't at the very top of both their arena shards they won't be getting her. And if they didn't commit to going all-in on the Vets as soon as they dropped into shipments, they're not getting her. Not as a pure FTP.

TL:DR Yes. It is technically possible to be on track to get Rey as a F2P. But it certainly isn't very probable. Not by a long shot.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Hec sometimes I drop in my shard from 120 all the way down to over 200, just overnight.

I am f2p - I run a CLS (L with G12 & 2Zs) with Chaze and Wiggs - G11

I am surrounded by whales with meta teams including the likes of CLS, R2, DN, Chaze, Wiggs - all maxed zetas and all G12. I even come up against a maxed ewk squad with wicket and Nightsister squad with MT & Zombie.

Its a struggle to stay competitive at the top end of arena when surrounded by p2w players all paying to be there and competing with each other.

So I would guess the top 1-20 rank in my shard are more likely p2w - in which case they are earning the good crystals daily to throw at the VS and if that doesn't work they'll just pull the wallets out for the rest.

It sucks this game is p2w - Even EA was recently chastised by the media regarding this type of p2w scheme in BF2 - when are they going to understand this type of behaviour to the player base leaves a sour taste?

Some countries are even questioning all of the random loot crate stuff which could be considered as gambling by the law - no more cash grab on games played by kids.
    This economical model is sick as hell and only brings more toxicity among players, we really don't need that these days. Game is about fun, nothing else.

Yes, and it has been becoming less and less fun at an accelerated pace. With no fun what do you have....
  • AnnerDoon wrote: »

TL:DR Yes. It is technically possible to be on track to get Rey as a F2P. But it certainly isn't very probable. Not by a long shot.

In your math you noted you retain top position in arena and ship the entire time. How many f2p players can keep those spots for MONTHS without using shards faster farm gear for g12? Talzin came out during that time and a fully geared 7* Talzin is already in my arena. So how are f2p players supposed to keep those ranks without upgrading or working on their arena team and still manage to set aside shards? That's where everything falls apart. It's not believable, not if you were honestly able to maintain top ranking the entire time without doing anything else...
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

How do you think they did before they charged you for such things as costumes, dlc, microtransactions etc.

Don't think there's no other options than making you spend 200 bucks each month on every single new toon on a game that isn't worth more than 5. It would be really naive, p2w is only about frustration and a huge ratio development/player investment cost.

I've done the math. If you get 1st or 2nd in both arena and fleet daily, and have done nothing else with crystals... no buying gear from shipments, no refreshing arenas, no anything... you could buy both the Vets from shipments (barely) and still have had the minimum crystals available to refresh energy enough to do your daily 600's. But you would have to have started the day they dropped them into shipments. (mid October, if I remember correctly? I don't have the calcs sitting in front of me at the moment.)

There is also a bit of reduction in that tight acquisition schedule, due to some of that spent energy being used on their cantina nodes once they dropped there, and now a second round of double drops on those nodes.

So, yes. It was possible, however unlikely, for a pure FTP player to get the Vets farmed in time for Rey's event. But if they didn't already have FO (and by extension BB8) farmed and geared enough for the event, they still aren't getting her. And if they didn't have gear already stockpiled to get the Vets viable for the event (or got extremely lucky with rewards... but tell me, exactly how many carbontis can one acquire with no extra crystals or excess energy available for two months?), they won't be getting her, either. If they aren't at the very top of both their arena shards they won't be getting her. And if they didn't commit to going all-in on the Vets as soon as they dropped into shipments, they're not getting her. Not as a pure FTP.

I love it. You should post the math and expose the reality of this event. Maybe on Reddit

In your math you noted you retain top position in arena and ship the entire time. How many f2p players can keep those spots for MONTHS without using shards faster farm gear for g12? Talzin came out during that time and a fully geared 7* Talzin is already in my arena. So how are f2p players supposed to keep those ranks without upgrading or working on their arena team and still manage to set aside shards? That's where everything falls apart. It's not believable, not if you were honestly able to maintain top ranking the entire time without doing anything else...

First, I never said I retained top position in ship and arena, but I do.

Second, I never said I was FTP. I am not. Although, I have spent very, very little since I stopped whaling back in April.

Third, that's exactly my point. Getting Rey as a FTP, while technically possible, isn't very likely. And that's a huge understatement.
  • Some countries are even questioning all of the random loot crate stuff which could be considered as gambling by the law - no more cash grab on games played by kids.
    This economical model is sick as hell and only brings more toxicity among players, we really don't need that these days. Game is about fun, nothing else.

That's what it all goes back to.

I have no problem with p2Rey but the devs need to know that this sort of naked cash-grab sucks the fun out of the game, sucks the excitement out of the movie event, and lowers the engagement of the average player, at a time when they could be raising it.
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    Calx wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    miklrk.png
    29100ex.png
    16a9ksy.png

I'd honestly like to know what other shards look like, where all these F2P regularly earn top payout. In mine, ranks 1-100 are ~100k CLS teams.

I already know what an easy ship shard looks like: mine. The top 20 players rotate, and there isn't much competition beyond that. In ships, if I drop below 20 overnight, it's a pretty bad day. In arena, it's a good day if I can stay in the 30s.

If I drop into the 50s in Arena, it's a meh day. Because it's a hard shard.
    If I drop into the 50s in Ships, I'd probably jump out a window. Because it's an easy shard.

I'm not so deluded as to think that I'm particularly skilled in ships, so much as I was lucky to be in a shard with relatively tame and civil competition.

If you're posting about how you managed this farm as F2P with 1st place payouts, I'd really like to see what your shards (and swgoh profiles) look like.

Nothing in the pictures you posted required any money. So on what basis are you claiming none of those people are f2p?

Re-read my post, please. That was not my claim.

This was your statement: "I'd honestly like to know what other shards look like, where all these F2P regularly earn top payout. In mine, ranks 1-100 are ~100k CLS teams."

I'm asking on what basis you are saying that those people regularly earning top payout on your shard are not F2P.

Some are likely F2P, some are definitely whales and kraken. I base that on their overall GP. BUT, the top 50 churns really hard, and there's no Discord channel that I know of, so I don't think there's anyone earning a consistent #1 payout, unless they're lucky enough to be on an uncontested time.

I was trying to ascertain whether this shard was any deeper or more competitive than these other shards where people win #1 every single day for months on end. Do other people often drop from #10 to #80 in two days?

well, if you know how much you drop in two days, you're not active enough xD
    Joking aside, who knows? I haven't played on any other leaderboard, but it seems like mine is relatively easy. Others who aren't in my top20 might disagree, i dunno.

I know you're just joking, but I wanted to mention that I said 10 to 80 in two days b/c that's what just happened to me, WITH five wins apiece during both days. Some days I hang in the 20s and 30s, other days I'm lucky to be able to climb from 80 to 49 before payout. It seems that the Rey event has awoken some people who had stopped trying in ships and arena.

I haven't missed a single day of playing (and maxing every activity) since I started during launch week. That includes the day I proposed to my gf, the day we got married, my 2.5 week honeymoon in Italy, and the day my son was born. Trust me when I say that "activity" isn't the problem here.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    AnnerDoon wrote: »

missing a few days can be compensated by hoarding.
    Also, i haven't used crystals on my arena team or fleet team in months. According to anner's math you only needed to stop using crystals from the time the vets were released, that's super easy.

Second, I never said I was FTP. I am not. Although, I have spent very, very little since I stopped whaling back in April.

Third, that's exactly my point. Getting Rey as a FTP, while technically possible, isn't very likely. And that's a huge understatement.

Sorry, my message may have been confusing. Wasn't saying you specifically. Was saying the situation of f2p getting Rey as "technically possible". In every scenario described by how people claim they are f2p and will get her, they all say they just kept the top spot in both arena and farmed gems from it the entire time. That's where I think the whole "technically possible' argument isn't even real. I don't think there was any actual way to do this f2p. Not unless you got insane drop rates or bought but lied about it.
  • Sorry, my message may have been confusing. Wasn't saying you specifically. Was saying the situation of f2p getting Rey as "technically possible". In every scenario described by how people claim they are f2p and will get her, they all say they just kept the top spot in both arena and farmed gems from it the entire time. That's where I think the whole "technically possible' argument isn't even real. I don't think there was any actual way to do this f2p. Not unless you got insane drop rates or bought but lied about it.

Oh, ALL you have to do is keep the top spot in both arenas? Well, why doesn't everyone do that?
  • Not me. I have most of the First Order at 5 stars and the smugglers at 3. No BB8 yet.
  • caldera wrote: »
    Sorry, my message may have been confusing. Wasn't saying you specifically. Was saying the situation of f2p getting Rey as "technically possible". In every scenario described by how people claim they are f2p and will get her, they all say they just kept the top spot in both arena and farmed gems from it the entire time. That's where I think the whole "technically possible' argument isn't even real. I don't think there was any actual way to do this f2p. Not unless you got insane drop rates or bought but lied about it.

Oh, ALL you have to do is keep the top spot in both arenas? Well, why doesn't everyone do that?

Exactly my point as to why this was never possible for f2p players. As a true f2p, you can't retain the top spot in both arenas for MONTHS while dedicating no resources to improving those teams. It's just not possible.
  • spicynachosupreme1
    507 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    caldera wrote: »

Cause everyone else didn't spend enough money lol.
  • It is possible. It's just not possible for every FTP. And for those whom it is technically possible, its not very likely.
  • Calx
    112 posts Member
    edited December 2017

+1
    Agreed with everything that @TheXBoarder and @Ben_Tlightsaber said.

Until these people who claim "I'm F2P, just be like me and earn #1 in arena and ships every single day!" start posting their swgoh profiles and the top 5 of their shards, I'm just going to assume that they're lying trolls.

Which brings us back to the original point of this digression: I believe this to be P2P, and possibly P2W. Which is fine, but then it should be advertised as such. Which is why I agreed earlier that I'd be more OK with a $250 pack for 330 shards than this charade. I frankly preferred the days after launch when a handful of OP characters were just flat out P2P via Chromium Packs.

And in a slightly related note, I've been using 50 crystals per day to refresh the Millennium Falcon's node since it was released, on the off chance that it was needed for this event. Those 50 crystals per day represent most of the gap that will keep me from completing the event.

So to everyone who's been congratulating their own amazing planning: do I get to be angry that the Millennium Falcon isn't needed? And if it were needed, would it be fair of me to come here and say "HA! People throughout the forums were guessing that it would be needed! Didn't you watch Episode VII? OBVIOUSLY it's needed. You fools should've been buying the refresh like I did! Poor planning ololol maybe next time, noobs"? I'd like to think that, were that the situation, I would just quietly revel in my own good luck that the scenario I guessed (and bet on) came to pass.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Don't get me wrong, I understand the core of your argument, and I get your frustration. Like most of the player base, I won't be getting Rey this time. But it's because I chose to focus on other things instead of the Vets for two months. And I'm ok with that. In that time, I farmed Death trooper from basically zero to 7*, I geared a pile of characters to G11+, I nearly have Krennik done, I got some really good mods, and who knows what else.

Just keep this in mind (you'll have less stress over this game)... every character is beatable. It has to be. Otherwise, the game ends. When Rey starts popping uup everywhere, figure out how to counter her. It won't be that difficult... I've seen her kit.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    caldera wrote: »

Exactly my point as to why this was never possible for f2p players. As a true f2p, you can't retain the top spot in both arenas for MONTHS while dedicating no resources to improving those teams. It's just not possible.

you're hilarious, haha.
    impossible =/= improbable
    Why not just make the argument that it's unreasonably difficult for f2p players to get rey? I would agree with that.

• Looking at her kit, I have to say she's extremely anticlimactic. Wishing I hadn't put myself in range to get her. Considering the difficulty to acquire.... I can't believe that's a 3 zeta, hero's journey character! Wow. Shocking!
  • Not that she won't have some use or isn't a basically solid character. Can't imagine her mattering much in arena for example.
  • DasMurich
    245 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    They've only been there 2 weeks.

"SHARD SHUFFLE
    The following Characters are now available in the following areas:
    Smuggler Chewbacca - Cantina 8-F
    Smuggler Han - Cantina 8-G
    Mother Talzin- Chromium Packs"

**This is from the 11/22 Version Update**

I don't think there was any actual way to do this f2p. Not unless you got insane drop rates or bought but lied about it.

Well it is possible because I’ve done it. Just got Chewie to 7 stars today. Had Han already done. Here is how I did it.

Start farming the Vets as soon as they show up in shipments. 2 months ago? I was spending 640-960 crystals a day on whoever popped up. The only way I could do this is finishing top 5 in arena and number 1 in fleet arena. Now I couldn’t always finish top 5 in regular arena. Sometimes I’d be top 10 or 15. Because of this I did not refresh any Cantina or regular energy for 2 months. So I could not always hit my 600 but my guild was cool with that. By the time the Vets were added to Cantina I had them both around 40/85 shards. I then spent crystals refreshing Cantina. 700 crystals a day. Drop rates on Han were meh but my drop rates on Chewie were fantastic.

The only way this was possible was the addition of crystal payouts to fleet arena and not farming any gear for 1 1/2- 2 months. All crystals went to the Vets. I sacrificed no gear and not getting my daily 600 for a few months. Very possible but not without sacrificing other aspects of the game.