SWGOH same as SWBF2? Frustrated!

I would like to start off saying that I really enjoy this game. The mechanics are fairly solid and progression to a degree is appropriate. While I do not like having to grind, there is something to be said for getting one of your favorite characters up to 7* and getting their gear up. I also like the changes that recently came about on what is available guild,GW and various stores.

For almost a month now I have been grinding on getting ready for a CLS event. And before some of you groan, oh man another CLS complaint... consider that some of us who are not paid to win and don't have exorbitant amounts of money to drop on these microtransactions get frustrated at the bait and switch of events coming up. We had maybe three days notice for the upcoming BB8 event? This is coming across as an attempt to squeeze out even more money out of people.

At this point how is this model being employed in this game any different than the model that SWBF2 is being roasted for? Terrible drop rates, exorbitant prices on any of the microtransactions. It is just insane. The whole model just drips of greed.

So how do we fix this?
- People, who can and want to drop money, maybe decrease prices to a more reasonable for them? -
- Give a solid amount of notice for the upcoming major events. Not everyone is entitled to every character but give them a fighting chance of obtaining it or at the very least a lesser starred version.
- Increase the drop rate on character and ship shards. I personally have spent 200 gems on cantina energy to not get a single vet chewi or vet han shard. And btw, $30 for 50 shards of each which wont make much of a dent in leveling either character is outrageous.
- Increase the energies regeneration rate a bit. Allow people to play the fun game a bit more without milking money out of them.
- Make things more attainable.

Thanks for reading,

Raspy

Replies

  • The difference between this and BF2 is that this game is free to play. I do not feel that they should therefore be compared in a complete sense and SWGOH should be viewed in isolation as a freemium mobile game as so many others are.

    For the most part I do not feel that SWGOH is as bad as people say for spending or even for pricing, you say that the $30 for 50 shards is a bad deal, but that probably means the difference between unlocking Rey and not. This however moves into the part that I do feel is a little bit predatory. The 100% inability to unlock a character the first time round, no matter how long of a player and (almost*), no matter how much savings have been made in waiting for this, without spending doesn't sit well with me.

    *(I am aware that with enough crystals saved that you could probably get the vets in time, but it would be a huge amount saved)

    I am a 100% f2p player, so therefore when it comes to value for money I may not be the best to speak about, but I like that the game does not give the best value for money, as I feel that, for the most part, most vulnerable being people who cannot afford to spend on the game, aren't as tempted by a bad deal as they would be by a good deal. I cannot speak for anybody in that situation, but that's how I feel.

    I also don't buy the "I got zero shards from 10 tries therefore droprates should be increased". It has been proven time and time again that the droprates for shards are around 33%, which I feel is a perfectly reasonable droprate for a game like this.

    Anyway, i'll probably get told that I am sticking my head in the sand, but I just don't see the panic to spend money in this game as the victory of getting that character that you have grinded for completed is the reason I play the game and if I could shortcut to unlocking everything then I wouldn't still be playing.
  • The_boss_350
    152 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I think the same as you, I am a pretty advanced player in the game and honestly I think the drop rates are awful. I spent more than 20 sims just tu get 3 pieces of purple gear! That is an awful drop rate, they need to at least change it 1/3 of the time so it’s better because if it was at 1/2 it would be too easy, honestly I think some characters should be easier to get, for example the first order stormtrooper, it’s not a great character at all and he is super hard to get and he is required in a few events. Some characters are too hard to gear, eg. Greedy is kitten and he is super hard to gear( one of the hardiest in the game). And some pieces of great are really hard to farm and they are needed for so much characters. That game is awesome but needs some updates to be excellent.
    Post edited by Ambassador on
  • I totally agree with you ;)
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Well ... they want to make money ... when they go to announce major events earlier, ppl will just farm the requirements (for free) and CG/EA loses tenthousands of dollars.
    I also do not like their pricings. IMO its way overpriced. For $60 i get a full boxed (offline) game, im able to install on my pc and play whenever i want to, for ever. Here, you get 100 (of 330 needed) shards, of 1 character (out of 135+) and a lil gear/credits to gear it, but still not being able to use him/her anywhere. Thats the reason, why im F2P. I dont want to support such prices.
    However the game is still running, so there are ppl willing to pay those amounts of money, for a very little part of the game, you dont even know how long you are able to play, as they could just shutdown the servers today and all is gone. Kinda crazy ... Its all about very few ppl paying thousands of dollars to get a char half a year earlier than the average gamer. Like CLS ... those who paid, enjoy his opness, f2p have to wait, until his event finally returns.
    Other games decided to run lower prices so everyone "wants" to support/pay for it ... which model works better? no clue, bc idc honestly.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • I just hope that a law will pass just to force them to show the actual drop rate. Just to let the customer know the real odds. I am sure that will increase drop rate magically ....
  • leef
    12475 posts Member
    please stop comparing swgoh with swbf2. This is a freemium game, it's a given that it's frustrating to entice spending.
    An argument could be made for a faster rate of progression though.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I started a new account 3 months ago as F2P.

    Top 20 arena is now 75-80 gear 8-9 .... and this ...

    https://swgoh.gg/u/zephyrk/

    lvl 85, 2M5 power, 132 7*, 37 gear 12 .... in 3 months.

    There is a very low probability they change the model as player continues spending 10K dollars per month to enjoy Star War mobile toons.
  • I mean, battlefront is a great game, so is goh, but I don't think they can be compared. As others have said, one is a $60 game and the other is free.
    "Because I'm Batman"-me
  • Jos33680 wrote: »
    I started a new account 3 months ago as F2P.

    Top 20 arena is now 75-80 gear 8-9 .... and this ...

    https://swgoh.gg/u/zephyrk/

    lvl 85, 2M5 power, 132 7*, 37 gear 12 .... in 3 months.

    There is a very low probability they change the model as player continues spending 10K dollars per month to enjoy Star War mobile toons.

    They will only change if they have to, either by people no longer spending (unlikely) or they are forced by law. As it stands right now with all the heavy spenders this is a succesfull model, no matter wha the majority of players thinks or believes.
  • Kyno
    20735 posts Moderator
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7if8xr/galactic_war_report_episode_85_reys_journey_and/

    The progression pacing does seem to be on the heavy side, but there are very few things in this game that can be solved by time, or made quicker by money (time = money). Most similar games, as you hit certain points, make the previous steps quicker and this game is farm more even across the whole game. I wouldn't expect this to change all at once,but we have been seeing changes.

    On the other point, they addressed that in the GWR, there is a method here and it does seem to work for them.


    Moved to Feedback >>General.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7if8xr/galactic_war_report_episode_85_reys_journey_and/

    The progression pacing does seem to be on the heavy side, but there are very few things in this game that can be solved by time, or made quicker by money (time = money). Most similar games, as you hit certain points, make the previous steps quicker and this game is farm more even across the whole game. I wouldn't expect this to change all at once,but we have been seeing changes.

    On the other point, they addressed that in the GWR, there is a method here and it does seem to work for them.


    Moved to Feedback >>General.

    The time you're referring to. It's called grinding in most games. But we spend less than an hour doing dailies, purchasing energy and the rest of time watching the energy increase by 1 every 5min (lets not go into cantina's).
    So in what way is this time=money?
  • Liath
    3871 posts Member
    ctyc123 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7if8xr/galactic_war_report_episode_85_reys_journey_and/

    The progression pacing does seem to be on the heavy side, but there are very few things in this game that can be solved by time, or made quicker by money (time = money). Most similar games, as you hit certain points, make the previous steps quicker and this game is farm more even across the whole game. I wouldn't expect this to change all at once,but we have been seeing changes.

    On the other point, they addressed that in the GWR, there is a method here and it does seem to work for them.


    Moved to Feedback >>General.

    The time you're referring to. It's called grinding in most games. But we spend less than an hour doing dailies, purchasing energy and the rest of time watching the energy increase by 1 every 5min (lets not go into cantina's).
    So in what way is this time=money?

    In this case, rather than the time in question being actual playing time, it's real time. You pay money, or you wait weeks, months, or years to have the thing.
  • 33% drop rate on character shards?

    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha.

    How’s the kool aid?
  • leef
    12475 posts Member
    snarzenal wrote: »
    33% drop rate on character shards?

    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha.

    How’s the kool aid?

    The kool aid is certianly better than the sour grapes ;)
    Jokes aside, start tracking droprates, you'd be suprised how close it is to 33% over an extended period of time.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Proven that drop rates are at 33%?!

    Riiiiiiight.

    I spent the full amount of energy earlier today on the FOST, so you believe I got a minimum of 6 shards? WRONG. I got ONE shard. ONE.

    Drop rates have not been proven. They have been estimated at best.

    I have spent real money on this game, and even then the reward can be both good or bad. Paying real money should never, ever produce 'bad' results. It's a gamble, period.
  • leef
    12475 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Kameleonic wrote: »
    Proven that drop rates are at 33%?!

    Riiiiiiight.

    I spent the full amount of energy earlier today on the FOST, so you believe I got a minimum of 6 shards? WRONG. I got ONE shard. ONE.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a full amount of energy, but doing 15 FOST (max per day without refreshing) nodes, using 220 energy, you'll get 5 shards on average. This doesn't mean you'll always get 5 shards out of 15 sims.
    Drop rates have not been proven. They have been estimated at best.
    Yes, lots of people have tracked their droprate over an extended period of time and found out it's rougly 33%. Whether you call that estimated or proven doesn't really matter to me.

    I have spent real money on this game, and even then the reward can be both good or bad. Paying real money should never, ever produce 'bad' results. It's a gamble, period.

    That's why the game generally forces you buy crystals instead of spending real money on certain ingame items. All the packs that can be bought with real money aren't RNG dependable. All the other stuff you buy with crystals (eventhough you bought those crystals with real money) are usually RNG dependable.
    This is also one of the reasons why people tracked their droprate, to figure out how to best spend their crystals.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Tman
    256 posts Member
    Come on people, Think for a little bit. I'm 100% F2P, and I love the transactions part of the game.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • Tman
    256 posts Member
    Because if it weren't for it I wouldn't. Be playing as it would be P2P other wise.

    I also like the grind so I feel much more accomplished when I get someone like CLS. That is one of the reasons I feel bad for P2W players as they don't have that same level of accomplishment feeling. It is why I don't want devs to give everything away or make things cheaper.
    I am more powerful than the Chancellor- Anikan Skywalker and Tman
  • Kyno
    20735 posts Moderator
    ctyc123 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7if8xr/galactic_war_report_episode_85_reys_journey_and/

    The progression pacing does seem to be on the heavy side, but there are very few things in this game that can be solved by time, or made quicker by money (time = money). Most similar games, as you hit certain points, make the previous steps quicker and this game is farm more even across the whole game. I wouldn't expect this to change all at once,but we have been seeing changes.

    On the other point, they addressed that in the GWR, there is a method here and it does seem to work for them.


    Moved to Feedback >>General.

    The time you're referring to. It's called grinding in most games. But we spend less than an hour doing dailies, purchasing energy and the rest of time watching the energy increase by 1 every 5min (lets not go into cantina's).
    So in what way is this time=money?

    This>>
    Liath wrote: »
    ctyc123 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/7if8xr/galactic_war_report_episode_85_reys_journey_and/

    The progression pacing does seem to be on the heavy side, but there are very few things in this game that can be solved by time, or made quicker by money (time = money). Most similar games, as you hit certain points, make the previous steps quicker and this game is farm more even across the whole game. I wouldn't expect this to change all at once,but we have been seeing changes.

    On the other point, they addressed that in the GWR, there is a method here and it does seem to work for them.


    Moved to Feedback >>General.

    The time you're referring to. It's called grinding in most games. But we spend less than an hour doing dailies, purchasing energy and the rest of time watching the energy increase by 1 every 5min (lets not go into cantina's).
    So in what way is this time=money?

    In this case, rather than the time in question being actual playing time, it's real time. You pay money, or you wait weeks, months, or years to have the thing.

    Real time.

    In arena it matters less because you are with people that started at the same time as you but in the grand scheme you are way better off then someone who started after you and someone that starts later can spend to catch up. Many f2p who have been playing from the beginning got CLS due to just being around and having toons collected, for an example.
  • I agree with everything you're saying. The micro-transaction model in these freemium games is so ridiculously profitable, it's why EA tried to shoehorn them into BF2.
    However, your argument will never gain any traction, because, despite the fact that you can spend $100k on this game and still not max out everything, the initial price is $0.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."
  • That would be this guy cls on the last day totally free to play ( I spelled it out so it would rhyme better)
  • Degs29
    301 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Kameleonic wrote: »
    Proven that drop rates are at 33%?!

    Riiiiiiight.

    I spent the full amount of energy earlier today on the FOST, so you believe I got a minimum of 6 shards? WRONG. I got ONE shard. ONE.

    You are confusing minimum with average. A drop rate of 33% does not mean you'll get a minimum of 1 shard every 3 tries. It means that over a vast amount of time, you'll average out to that.

    I'm not convinced the drop rate is 33% myself. It looked like it was originally 33% for all nodes, dropping to 20% for all nodes (when they bumped it to 5 SIMS per hard node daily), then rising back to 33% for SOME nodes. But that's just a theory. They're not very good at informing us which is, of course, on purpose.
Sign In or Register to comment.