Dev Interview- NotReallyAjedi

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    information overload. Why not just do one interview?
    Don't get me wrong, i'm happy about increased communication, but 2h and 5min talking about the same subject in 6 different interviews is a tad too much imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • @CG_NotReallyAJedi I feel like you kind of glazed over some major issues.

First, you state that CLS is not the be-all, end-all character in the game. This is a woefully incorrect statement. He’s in the large majority of top tier arena teams, he’s all over TW and a direct requirement for a TB node, and he’s extremely powerful in raids. He can solo heroic Rancor by himself and is integral to several of the best HAAT teams. He is literally one of, if not the most universally powerful character in the game.
    Claiming JTR is just as powerful is a bold claim, given her kit and her not-so-free-to-play nature. Not only that, but it felt like panic advertisement to get people to spend on packs, triggered by the reaction to Rey’s lackluster kit. It doesn’t help that CLS is so powerful and so unobtainable to half the community, that missed him the first time. Bring CLS back and let the community decide who is better.

Second, Dark Side is weaker than Light Side, and nowhere near as plentiful. Most of the LS teams have had reworks semi-recently, but DS is lagging behind big time. They’re not as viable as LS, and their TB clearly shows that. New characters and faction passes are essential.

Those are the main concerns I had with the interview(s).
  • leef wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, i'm happy about increased communication, but 2h and 5min talking about the same subject in 6 different interviews is a tad too much imo.

I actually watched them all - I think the multiple interviews were good because each asked somewhat different questions and each interview seemed to have some gold nuggets in there.
  • @CG_NotReallyAJedi I feel like you kind of glazed over some major issues.

First, you state that CLS is not the be-all, end-all character in the game. This is a woefully incorrect statement. He’s in the large majority of top tier arena teams, he’s all over TW and a direct requirement for a TB node, and he’s extremely powerful in raids. He can solo heroic Rancor by himself and is integral to several of the best HAAT teams. He is literally one of, if not the most universally powerful character in the game.
    Claiming JTR is just as powerful is a bold claim, given her kit and her not-so-free-to-play nature. Not only that, but it felt like panic advertisement to get people to spend on packs, triggered by the reaction to Rey’s lackluster kit. It doesn’t help that CLS is so powerful and so unobtainable to half the community, that missed him the first time. Bring CLS back and let the community decide who is better.

Second, Dark Side is weaker than Light Side, and nowhere near as plentiful. Most of the LS teams have had reworks semi-recently, but DS is lagging behind big time. They’re not as viable as LS, and their TB clearly shows that. New characters and faction passes are essential.

Those are the main concerns I had with the interview(s).

When he said that about CLS he meant for the long-term of the game - CLS is not going to be top tier forever. He effectively admitted that CLS pushed the boundaries and was a game-breaker with his skills.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

I actually watched them all - I think the multiple interviews were good because each asked somewhat different questions and each interview seemed to have some gold nuggets in there.

sure, but 2hours+ for somewhat different? I guess anyone who finds it worth the effort of watching has a leg up.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • scuba wrote: »
    Edward wrote: »
    Snooze135 wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Someone post a TL:DW summary please.

For those wondering what was said about Rey.... She is expected by CG to be the best defensive character in the game to date. This is due to the focus of her kit being angled towards that as well as recent changes to their AI. The Dev team fully expects her to hold her own and even overthrow CLS in Arena. BB8 is the first hint towards an all-star team that was mentioned that she is included in. Overall we'll have to see what her capabilities are when we get our hands on her Friday!

I don't think he really said that she would overthrow CLS in arena. More that she wasn't meant to be as powerful as he was overall, but that she could beat him (and destroy Zarriss) in the right team. He also said that she was meant to dethrone Finn as the resistance leader.

Watch Warriors video. That's what he says (at exactly 11:20 into the video). In the other videos he retracts that to more of a stance that she will hold her own in the current meta.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mis-speak on my part. I don't mean "overthrow" as in "No more CLS in the meta". She should consistently beat CLS, though.

I hope this is not another misstatement, a tank Rey should consistently beat CLS...

Yes but if a cls consistently beats a tank Rey is it really a change/nudge etc in arena?

I expect to see her in teams but she will just replace one of the other 4 on the team not much change.

It is all wait and see I guess but I don't see a change from cls lead nor do I see players that don't get Rey having anything to worry about.

I will say I like the way most new characters leads Uniques are going more faction based and not apply to all so keep up the good work there.

Outside of the Warrior video, he consistently stated that she can / will be able to beat CLS, but that they didn't want her to surpass CLS as it would create balance issues they may would have a difficult time ever walking back. So, I agree that it may not change anything if it isn't good enough to force people to build it or she's not widely owned. Similar to NS as they are great vs. CLS and many teams, but they're paywalled and just recently new so their impact is lower than what it should be. From watching the other videos a few things that stood out to me:

- In relation to the DS Love commentary ... response that in the end Star Wars is a story about rebels and a rebellion. He did note that DS love was coming, but it was heavily qualified with priorities, etc. I took this to read that they view the LS bias as justified and to expect LS / Rebel / Res characters - even if they are small bit players like Wiggs - to lead the game generally..... "The whole series of Star Wars is built around the rebels"
    - Revan wasn't ruled out totally, but isn't on the current character list - the thought of Revan was initially played down pretty hard so doesn't seem there's much smoke there to get Revan in the game anytime soon
    - Rey AI seems to have a new level of proficiency and the AI will use her kit well relative to most other characters on defense so she should be a viable defensive team in TW or arena generally (personally I think there should be a qualifier here on defensive performance vs. AI performance - no matter how dumb Han's AI is, him blowing something away in turn 1 is still good "defense" - and no matter how good CUP's AI is programmed to use his kit he won't be better than Han on defense)
    - BB8 is key to Rey's performance
    - Historically and going forward, the AI was intentionally left poor to so that players could successfully win on offense, especially those outside of the top 2% of all players (they want players to have the happy feels)
    - Resistance expose targeted was discussed specifically regarding defense, but the skill is so OP they didn't want to make that change to the AI
    - Rey's heal block / lock was built specifically with GK / Barriss in mind
    - KRU was made a tank out of necessity because FO didn't have a solid tank that filled a role
    - Wasn't happy with balance of DS TB - is happy with balance of LS TB - seems DS TB is due for a re-tune of the difficulty in some way (clearly implied, but not directly stated)

Those were the main points I took from the interviews.
  • scuba wrote: »
    Edward wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Someone post a TL:DW summary please.

For those wondering what was said about Rey.... She is expected by CG to be the best defensive character in the game to date. This is due to the focus of her kit being angled towards that as well as recent changes to their AI. The Dev team fully expects her to hold her own and even overthrow CLS in Arena. BB8 is the first hint towards an all-star team that was mentioned that she is included in. Overall we'll have to see what her capabilities are when we get our hands on her Friday!

I don't think he really said that she would overthrow CLS in arena. More that she wasn't meant to be as powerful as he was overall, but that she could beat him (and destroy Zarriss) in the right team. He also said that she was meant to dethrone Finn as the resistance leader.

Watch Warriors video. That's what he says (at exactly 11:20 into the video). In the other videos he retracts that to more of a stance that she will hold her own in the current meta.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mis-speak on my part. I don't mean "overthrow" as in "No more CLS in the meta". She should consistently beat CLS, though.

I hope this is not another misstatement, a tank Rey should consistently beat CLS...

Yes but if a cls consistently beats a tank Rey is it really a change/nudge etc in arena?

I expect to see her in teams but she will just replace one of the other 4 on the team not much change.

It is all wait and see I guess but I don't see a change from cls lead nor do I see players that don't get Rey having anything to worry about.

I will say I like the way most new characters leads Uniques are going more faction based and not apply to all so keep up the good work there.

Outside of the Warrior video, he consistently stated that she can / will be able to beat CLS, but that they didn't want her to surpass CLS as it would create balance issues they may would have a difficult time ever walking back. So, I agree that it may not change anything if it isn't good enough to force people to build it or she's not widely owned. Similar to NS as they are great vs. CLS and many teams, but they're paywalled and just recently new so their impact is lower than what it should be. From watching the other videos a few things that stood out to me:

- In relation to the DS Love commentary ... response that in the end Star Wars is a story about rebels and a rebellion. He did note that DS love was coming, but it was heavily qualified with priorities, etc. I took this to read that they view the LS bias as justified and to expect LS / Rebel / Res characters - even if they are small bit players like Wiggs - to lead the game generally..... "The whole series of Star Wars is built around the rebels"
    - Revan wasn't ruled out totally, but isn't on the current character list - the thought of Revan was initially played down pretty hard so doesn't seem there's much smoke there to get Revan in the game anytime soon
    - Rey AI seems to have a new level of proficiency and the AI will use her kit well relative to most other characters on defense so she should be a viable defensive team in TW or arena generally (personally I think there should be a qualifier here on defensive performance vs. AI performance - no matter how dumb Han's AI is, him blowing something away in turn 1 is still good "defense" - and no matter how good CUP's AI is programmed to use his kit he won't be better than Han on defense)
    - BB8 is key to Rey's performance
    - Historically and going forward, the AI was intentionally left poor to so that players could successfully win on offense, especially those outside of the top 2% of all players (they want players to have the happy feels)
    - Resistance expose targeted was discussed specifically regarding defense, but the skill is so OP they didn't want to make that change to the AI
    - Rey's heal block / lock was built specifically with GK / Barriss in mind
    - KRU was made a tank out of necessity because FO didn't have a solid tank that filled a role
    - Wasn't happy with balance of DS TB - is happy with balance of LS TB - seems DS TB is due for a re-tune of the difficulty in some way (clearly implied, but not directly stated)

Those were the main points I took from the interviews.

Yep. Also there is a certain “optimal team” for rey. That he didn’t want to divulge. And he seems to be proponent for many things we want. Diverse arena, mod management, said pvp is most important. And also that earlier iterations of rey were op.
    Imo- I don’t want one op toon to keep coming out and claim arena king/queen. And he wants the Rock Paper Scissors element in arena and the counter to CLS is ns.
    As for rey I think the first steps were to make BB8 viable in arena.
  • docmorbius
    11 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Jamesm wrote: »

Do people really want B1 battle droids?

Aboout as much as we want a Han Solo movie.

• Snooze135 wrote: »
    Ah looks like it wasn't linked before and Kozi just slotted it in

Updating that Gamechanger listing with the stealth of a ninja!
    ninja-afro-ninja.gif

Lol made me laugh so hard. That guy is awesome
  • The most important thing he said about Rey
    " she is the strongest defense toon in the game "
    Resistance needs defense to be arena viable.
  • GrandAdmiralSledge
    95 posts Member
    edited December 2017

Yep. Also there is a certain “optimal team” for rey. That he didn’t want to divulge. And he seems to be proponent for many things we want. Diverse arena, mod management, said pvp is most important. And also that earlier iterations of rey were op.
    Imo- I don’t want one op toon to keep coming out and claim arena king/queen. And he wants the Rock Paper Scissors element in arena and the counter to CLS is ns.

Rey Optimal Team = New Rey, Old Rey, BB8, R2, Poe. It's not like they made it hard to figure out. I don't know why all the cloak and dagger stuff about saying it.

• Yep. Also there is a certain “optimal team” for rey. That he didn’t want to divulge. And he seems to be proponent for many things we want. Diverse arena, mod management, said pvp is most important. And also that earlier iterations of rey were op.

Rey Optimal Team = New Rey, Old Rey, BB8, R2, Poe. It's not like they made it hard to figure out. I don't know why all the cloak and dagger stuff about saying it.

Haha cats out of the bag! I’m a firm believer that more toons that will be released will fit more in with rey and more fo with krum.
  • A case could be made to swap out Old Rey for Finn, since he can both cleanse the whole team (putting them back on track for reduced cooldowns on their specials), and with no debuffs, he can do his Takedown stun/expose combo every single turn.
  • Cant wait for the Tusken re work, ole Tuskan whats his name and his mate fan favourite Dave really need it.
  • Did you notice the side stepped answer for carbs for rey lol she’s going to be a monster for sure. I say more than gk. With the reasoning of they are “more accessible now than ever before”
  • i just watched one of this videos...
    did any one see a fight against a CLS team ?
    if she is so imba...why i there is no fight and so much people on youtube say she is not really op.

but nice...some kind of massive marketing before she release to milk some money and as i am mutet in this board...did not get any kind of answer why, it makes no sence to write here.
    glad there is reddit, were people can write critic without getting muted and feel frustrated ;)

stupid...can't delete messageboard account.
  • One thing that I heard in the interviews was that they want feedback. Here is mine.

I heard that they don't want to frustrate people in a bad way. I suppose this depends on what the bad way is, but I have been twice frustrated by Hero's Journey events. I did not get CLS and won't get RJT either due to requirements and inability to farm them in time. From the first time, I leanred that trying to prepare enough in advance was key. If I had started farming Old Ben earlier, I'd have made it. I finished days after the event ended and had had to go without for 4 months so far. It's frustrating to feel hampered in PvP because I don't have the best character in the game. It's frustrating to feel like I hold my guild back in TB and TW because I don't have the best character in the game. And CLS is just that.

The feeling has happened again for RJT. I won't be able to get her because despite my efforts to prepare for her, the one thing I never thought that would be required, was required: save up 10,000 or more crystals (I did the math based on how short I will be) or be spending them on VSHan/VSChewie shards since September. Now, if she is the BEST (NotAJedi's words) defensive character in the game, I will again be holding back my guild in TW and TB and again be struggling in arena for 4 months or more because I again don't have a character.

So would that be frustrating in a bad way? I feel like it's not, but I could be wrong. If you are taking in feedback and making adjustments going forward, then please take take this into account. I prepared. I did the work I thought I needed to do, but I also had a need to gear up characters for TB and before the more recent changes, that meant spending crystals for certain pieces of gear because farming them was very slow. It's certainly not very fun to have to take the long road every time especially since sometimes the extra effort doesn't end up paying off.

Thank you for reading.
  • Wycross wrote: »
    One thing that I heard in the interviews was that they want feedback. Here is mine.

I heard that they don't want to frustrate people in a bad way. I suppose this depends on what the bad way is, but I have been twice frustrated by Hero's Journey events. I did not get CLS and won't get RJT either due to requirements and inability to farm them in time. From the first time, I leanred that trying to prepare enough in advance was key. If I had started farming Old Ben earlier, I'd have made it. I finished days after the event ended and had had to go without for 4 months so far. It's frustrating to feel hampered in PvP because I don't have the best character in the game. It's frustrating to feel like I hold my guild back in TB and TW because I don't have the best character in the game. And CLS is just that.

The feeling has happened again for RJT. I won't be able to get her because despite my efforts to prepare for her, the one thing I never thought that would be required, was required: save up 10,000 or more crystals (I did the math based on how short I will be) or be spending them on VSHan/VSChewie shards since September. Now, if she is the BEST (NotAJedi's words) defensive character in the game, I will again be holding back my guild in TW and TB and again be struggling in arena for 4 months or more because I again don't have a character.

So would that be frustrating in a bad way? I feel like it's not, but I could be wrong. If you are taking in feedback and making adjustments going forward, then please take take this into account. I prepared. I did the work I thought I needed to do, but I also had a need to gear up characters for TB and before the more recent changes, that meant spending crystals for certain pieces of gear because farming them was very slow. It's certainly not very fun to have to take the long road every time especially since sometimes the extra effort doesn't end up paying off.

Thank you for reading.

The 2 vet requirements in 2 16 energy cantina nodes were terrible. He did address it by saying he has a seat at the table for those decisions but not final call.

Well, they’d have to collaborate on the questions, but only one YouTube star would get the credit. That couldn’t work :/

• Yep. Also there is a certain “optimal team” for rey. That he didn’t want to divulge. And he seems to be proponent for many things we want. Diverse arena, mod management, said pvp is most important. And also that earlier iterations of rey were op.

I guess I’m not convinced. You might be right, but there are arguments for other options IMO. For example, I really like Resistance Trooper wth a Rey lead. He will gain 65% TM whenever an enemy is exposed under Rey lead. His special hits really hard and could possibly be spammed every turn. I’m very eager to play around with them.

What I really want is for a few more resistance characters l to be released so that we can have 2 resistance teams for TB/TW.
  • Anavel_Gato
    371 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Wycross wrote: »
    One thing that I heard in the interviews was that they want feedback. Here is mine.

Thank you for reading.

I am in this exact boat. I'm not in a guild where I can just hoard. We all spend our daily earnings from PvP and every payout from raids. We all gear, shard, and mod.

In the past three months we went from HAAT barely winning to farming in 6 hours. We've gained at least 18 million GP since TB started. We've won both TW rounds.

Bottom line: we've been playing the game.

So unless you're in a whale/kraken guild already and spending, not spending on any currency rewards, or just getting carried by your already good guild, playing the game actively precludes the amount of hoarding needed to farm the Rey toons in time.
  • Ender22 wrote: »

Well, they’d have to collaborate on the questions, but only one YouTube star would get the credit. That couldn’t work :/

How about actual interviews with real questions being answered instead of a staged goat and pony show where every video is the same scripted sales pitch? Would that work?
  • AnnerDoon wrote: »
    Ender22 wrote: »

How about actual interviews with real questions being answered instead of a staged goat and pony show where every video is the same scripted sales pitch? Would that work?
    Ehhh I’m no mentalist but imo nraj came off pretty sincere.
  • I think it is funny that they missed a huge cash opportunity and the execs will be mad that they left a lot of money on the table. I for one did 3 refreshes a day since they were released and am not in striking distance where that $30 pack will get me there. So now instead of them getting my $30, I have a few months to finish them off for free. If the vets would have been put in cantina just a month sooner they'd have sold thousands more of those $30 packs.
  • Kurrgan wrote: »
    I think it is funny that they missed a huge cash opportunity and the execs will be mad that they left a lot of money on the table. I for one did 3 refreshes a day since they were released and am not in striking distance where that $30 pack will get me there. So now instead of them getting my $30, I have a few months to finish them off for free. If the vets would have been put in cantina just a month sooner they'd have sold thousands more of those $30 packs.

PS - also truly enjoyed the interviews. Being a huge fan of the game and genre it's great to hear that so many like minded people get to work there. While often probably very stressful for you all I'm glad so many star wars fans get to create something they like so much so great job!

• Kurrgan wrote: »
    I think it is funny that they missed a huge cash opportunity and the execs will be mad that they left a lot of money on the table. I for one did 3 refreshes a day since they were released and am not in striking distance where that $30 pack will get me there. So now instead of them getting my $30, I have a few months to finish them off for free. If the vets would have been put in cantina just a month sooner they'd have sold thousands more of those $30 packs.

I think if they'd included more shards for both heroes in that pack they would have sold a ton of them. 2x50 made me hold on to my money; if it'd been 200 of one vet then they'd have gotten my $30, as then I could farm the 2nd exclusively from cantina. But who knows, maybe they did sell a ton.

I really like that he took the time to talk to the community, even though there weren't any earth-shattering revelations. Maybe they'll do an ask-me-anything some day.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Gk/zarris can easily beat CLS on offence. The question is can she hold on defence

No. No team can truly "hold" on defense. RNG happens and a team wins on defense occasionally. This is and always has been WAI. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
    That's WAI

It's like an interview with a politic, answers that seems to make sense, but they are evasive and leading to nowhere. So he just talk more about trivial stuff then what really matters.

For a minute i thought was hearing another Trump speech.

sure, but 2hours+ for somewhat different? I guess anyone who finds it worth the effort of watching has a leg up.

No one is making you watch all the interviews. I watched the interviews by my two favorites of the gamechangers. As noted, they each asked some different and unique questions.

• I'm not trying to sound like a **** or anything but if JTRey is going to be on par with CLS. How about bringing back Lukes journey sooner rather than later. So those of us who don't have him will atleast have a fighting chance against her when she starts showing up in Arena.

If the devs really read the forums as closely as they say, then I feel like we will see an answer to so many posts that have said “all I want for Christmas is my CLS”

Also, devs, any timeline on when Rey will get out into the game so the game changers can start showing her off?

Replies like these are definitely better suited to a Dev announcement/ Game update. Please keep an eye on those locations for upcoming info on any significant events- either new or recurring.

Have I mentioned that I ❤ u. A noncommittal something is a brewing, but I love it!