Dev Interview- NotReallyAjedi

Replies

• Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Gk/zarris can easily beat CLS on offence. The question is can she hold on defence

No. No team can truly "hold" on defense. RNG happens and a team wins on defense occasionally. This is and always has been WAI. ;)

Try to beat NS (Ventress Zeta lead zombie G6/8) with better mods with a CLS team, then we will discuss if some teams do not hold.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    skywhopper wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    information overload. Why not just do one interview?
    Don't get me wrong, i'm happy about increased communication, but 2h and 5min talking about the same subject in 6 different interviews is a tad too much imo.

I actually watched them all - I think the multiple interviews were good because each asked somewhat different questions and each interview seemed to have some gold nuggets in there.

sure, but 2hours+ for somewhat different? I guess anyone who finds it worth the effort of watching has a leg up.

No one is making you watch all the interviews. I watched the interviews by my two favorites of the gamechangers. As noted, they each asked some different and unique questions.

And how much did they overlap? that's the point i'm trying to make. I wish they would just do one interview so i didn't have to listen to 6 different ones, taking 2h+, with overlapping subjects, if i wanted to hear all different and unique questions. It's just not efficient at all. The youtubers could have worked together to make sure questions we're asked from every perspective.
    imo that's reasonable and not overly negative feedback. But you're right, no one is making me watch all the interviews.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Goober1_ wrote: »
    The most important thing he said about Rey
    " she is the strongest defense toon in the game "
    Resistance needs defense to be arena viable.

He said the AI on her will perform her kit better than other toons with their kits. That's not the same as being the best team on defense.
  • Goober1_ wrote: »

He said the AI on her will perform her kit better than other toons with their kits. That's not the same as being the best team on defense.

No he literally says she is aruably the best defensive unit they have added to the game to date. On Ahnald's interview
  • Mol_Zakore wrote: »
    Goober1_ wrote: »

No he literally says she is aruably the best defensive unit they have added to the game to date. On Ahnald's interview

I listed to all the interviews and it's more nuanced than that when you listen to the explanations and discussion across all of them. The AI will operate her kit well with the new tech is the point.
  • DarkstarSunrise
    570 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    "The community isn't that impressed with Jedi Training Rey, what do we do?"
    "Quick, get a dev to go out to all our free advertisers and hype how good she is."
    Que the videos...

CLS didn't need 8 interviews to get hype.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    "Quick, get a dev to go out to all our free advertisers and hype how good she is."
    Que the videos...

Couldn't agree more!

Stats are not even revealed.

But let people spend tons of crystals farming vets so they can regreat later.

• gatormatt
    304 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Oh where Oh where are the stats for Rey
    Oh where Oh where can they be
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Que the videos...

If that was the strategy, it came a little late...
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Edward wrote: »
    Snooze135 wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    Snooze135 wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Someone post a TL:DW summary please.

For those wondering what was said about Rey.... She is expected by CG to be the best defensive character in the game to date. This is due to the focus of her kit being angled towards that as well as recent changes to their AI. The Dev team fully expects her to hold her own and even overthrow CLS in Arena. BB8 is the first hint towards an all-star team that was mentioned that she is included in. Overall we'll have to see what her capabilities are when we get our hands on her Friday!

I don't think he really said that she would overthrow CLS in arena. More that she wasn't meant to be as powerful as he was overall, but that she could beat him (and destroy Zarriss) in the right team. He also said that she was meant to dethrone Finn as the resistance leader.

Watch Warriors video. That's what he says (at exactly 11:20 into the video). In the other videos he retracts that to more of a stance that she will hold her own in the current meta.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mis-speak on my part. I don't mean "overthrow" as in "No more CLS in the meta". She should consistently beat CLS, though.

I hope this is not another misstatement, a tank Rey should consistently beat CLS...

Why should a tank beat an attacker? That’s not their job. Tanks are inherently slow, and tanky as they should be. Their purpose is to take one for the team.

The only thing that makes her slightly offensive is the assists with Bb8.

Nothing beats CLS.
  • "The community isn't that impressed with Jedi Training Rey, what do we do?"
    Que the videos...

yeah but as stated cls is the bar. They need to make money. You notice not one post on the forum for excitement about rey. Nope it’s give me cls x100

• @CG_Kozispoon @CG_NotReallyAJedi

So I watched all the videos tonight to see if I missed anything and low and behold the first video from CrazyExcuses asked the question I was searching for. The ridiculous need for the Vets and how this takes any chance of unlocking RJT out of our hands. I’m sorry but that answer was a TOTAL cop out and one where the blame was placed elsewhere.
    The vast majority of players on this form are completely disappointed by the combo of the requirements for the vets and their “farming location”. You guys alienated the true F2P that have been around since day one. I myself am not fully F2P and have dropped a couple Benjamin’s on this game since it’s inception. I only just 5*’ed my vets yesterday with refreshes and double drops. That’s insane and I hope that whoever had a hand in the choice of requirements this time around, doesn’t even get their opinion asked next time. They made a decision that cost EA truckloads of cash. Oh well.
  • Leparine
    38 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    @CG_NotReallyAJedi

After seeing these interviews I have to say, thank you for the Q&A, that´s not necessarily self-evident.

Many thanks for the insight, especially in terms of power and balancing overall in the game and how much you are aware of it. I think how the new Rey and her Kit is designed, that´s absolutly the right strategy to go for in the future. Diversity! TheToybox-experience ;)
    When you look at this game from a game-design perspective, which you represent, i want to point out something as a passionate 1 1/2-year SWGOH-Player: You and CG are doing a great job. I´m impressed by how the charakters are designed in terms of Star Wars-lore. They pretty much represent their role-model in the movies! Not neccessarily in terms of power or viability for absolutely every charakter, well that´s really not possible all the time in an evolving game, but how they move, behave, how they look, their abilities. All that takes a lot of thought and work and I really appreciate this work and efford. That´s the main reason I play this game.

According to what you finally said in the interview with CrazyExcuses: CG has my back, I think the game that they´re making, at it´s core, is a really good game, I really love playing it and I really love star wars!

So, I´m in for the 99% ;)
  • Thank you for interacting with the community like this, NotReallyAJedi.

It is appreciated by many.
  • Leparine
    38 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    @CG_NotReallyAJedi

After seeing these interviews I have to say, thank you for the Q&A, that´s not necessarily self-evident.

Many thanks for the insight, especially in terms of power and balancing overall in the game and how much you are aware of it. I think how the new Rey and her Kit is designed, that´s absolutly the right strategy to go for in the future. Diversity! The Toybox-experience ;)
    I think people should come to the conclusion to treat CG (Game) and EA (Money/Business) differently. As it was clear, you don´t have much influence on specific decisions, i´m not happy with like many.
    But when you look at this game from a game-design perspective, which you represent, i want to point out something as a passionate 1-year SWGOH-Player: You and CG are doing a great job. I´m impressed by how the charakters are designed in terms of Star Wars-lore. They pretty much represent their role-model in the movies! Not neccessarily in terms of power or viability for absolutely every charakter, well that´s really not possible all the time in an evolving game, but how they move, behave, how they look, their abilities. All that takes a lot of thought and work and I really appreciate this work and efford. That´s the main reason I play this game.

According to what you finally said in the interview with CrazyExcuses: CG has my back, I think the game that they make, at it´s core, is a really good game, I love playing it and I really love star wars!

So, I´m in for the 99% ;)
  • CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Wycross wrote: »
    It's frustrating to feel hampered in PvP because I don't have the best character in the game.

You're meant to feel frustated.

So frustrated that you spend money not to be frustrated.

That is the whole reason for the existence of the game.

And that's not a criticism. SWGOH is a business. Designed to make money. And I'm sure it does and good luck to them. Because if they make money I get to enjoy a really fun game for free.

• Jamesm wrote: »
    Do people really want B1 battle droids?

Absolutely! I've been wanting B1 since the game opened. B2 gave me hope...but, it's been a long time now.
  • Was anything said about GG rework ? I see it in the thumbnail of one of the videos but not near WiFi to watch it.
    *** So be it... Jedi ***
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I heard that they don't want to frustrate people in a bad way.

The problem is the above two statements (the second came from the interviews) are contradictory - and the first we know to be true, which is why the second rings hollow when developers say it. It feels like they are either being intentionally misleading, or think all of the f2p players are dopey pants.

I do agree with most that the Pay-to-Rey thing they are trying is going to hurt the long term health of the game - for the many reasons already stated herein (and the handful of f2p who will get her as a result of having lucky shards/ship shards is not "proof" - in fact, the fact they the few feel compelled to explain it, supports the point, not refutes it).

I am f2p for the past year (was a guppy for the first year...I am a slow learner). I saved up almost 10k crystals prior to the veterans dropping in the 2 16-energy cantina nodes. I have quintuple refreshed those nodes since, and will still be short by 80+ shards, presuming standard drop rates apply. Putting them both in 16 energy cantina nodes (so you have to farm one at the exclusion of the other) is a CLEAR cash grab - and another straw on the back of this already sore-backed camel.

I get it. The game is designed to make money. However, I prefer to support a game when I feel like I am paying for enjoyment - not being extorted to keep up. The "Pay-to-Rey" event has shifted from the former to the latter.

Sadly, I also feel like this kind of feedback will go the way of our guild's request for our LS:TB Phase 6 special mission rewards from back in the 3rd week of November - largely ignored.

Out.

Post edited by Nikoms565 on
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I think the game is receiving more and more backlash as it is slanting more towards pay to play instead of pay to win.
    It feels like they are either being intentionally misleading, or think all of the f2p players are ****.

Show me a business that says, "we exist to make a heck load of money out of you". Instead they talk about providing services and "experiences". We all know the truth, and accept it.

I heard that they don't want to frustrate people in a bad way.

The problem is the above two statements (the second came from the interviews) are contradictory - and the first we know to be true, which is why the second rings hollow when developers say it. It feels like they are either being intentionally misleading, or think all of the f2p players are ****.

I do agree with most that the Pay-to-Rey thing they are trying is going to hurt the long term health of the game - for the many reasons already stated herein (and the handful of f2p who will get her as a result of having lucky shards/ship shards is not "proof" - in fact, the fact they the few feel compelled to explain it, supports the point, not refutes it).

I am f2p for the past year (was a guppy for the first year...I am a slow learner). I saved up almost 10k crystals prior to the veterans dropping in the 2 16-energy cantina nodes. I have quintuple refreshed those nodes since, and will still be short by 80+ shards, presuming standard drop rates apply. Putting them both in 16 energy cantina nodes (so you have to farm one at the exclusion of the other) is a CLEAR cash grab - and another straw on the back of this already sore-backed camel.

I get it. The game is designed to make money. However, I prefer to support a game when I feel like I am paying for enjoyment - not being extorted to keep up. The "Pay-to-Rey" event has shifted from the former to the latter.

Sadly, I also feel like this kind of feedback will go the way of our guild's request for our LS:TB Phase 6 special mission rewards from back in the 3rd week of November - largely ignored.

Out.

+ Infinity Gauntlet
  • Well said @Nikoms565 .
  • Saying that Star Wars is just a story about Rebels shows how little CG Devs know about the Star Wars IP. Star Wars the Old Republic doesnt have any Rebels. The prequels do not have any Rebels. A lot of the Star Wars novels, cannon and otherwise, focus on characters who are not Rebels.

All of these non Rebel story arcs are popular and have a fan base. I think that George Lucas went out of his way to create a more complex and diverse universe than a story about Rebels and their rebellion. He definitely tried to give the evil and authoritarian elements a purpose and reason for their actions.

I think a better way to look at Star Wars as an eternal clash between the Light and Dark side. Everyone faces the same moral dilemma that they see on the screen. However, this conflict is thrown out the window in SWGoH. All we get is love for the Light side and little or no respect for parity in its rival.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    It feels like they are either being intentionally misleading, or think all of the f2p players are ****.

Show me a business that says, "we exist to make a heck load of money out of you". Instead they talk about providing services and "experiences". We all know the truth, and accept it.

The problem is this "Pay-to-Rey" event is a shift in the overall philosophy of the game. The game is moving from "pay to win" - which is a fine model - to "pay to play". Imagine arena shards with Talzin and Pay-To-Rey at the top - because that is precisely the direction the game is headed. EA pushed the envelope in BF2 with MTX in a paid for game. Now they are moving this game as far as they can to drain the whales and dolphins dry with every new release and leaving the f2p players completely outside in the dark.

I have played this game for 2+ years. The change is evident - and it's not like that with every other game. EA/CG thinks they can force the issue (no pun intended) because Star Wars. IMHO (and that have many others), they are pushing too hard. They've already bled me dry - I'm done spending money. Other dolphins/guppies/whales are also closing their wallets. One of the main reasons is that there is no end in sight. They simply keep moving the goal posts - and now, they move them higher, farther and faster then previous rates.

Ask yourself - when was the last time we had an event that required two toons that both had to be farmed from the same area and both have only been farmable for a month? The answer is none, because until this event, it had never happened. Phoenix were divided up across different farming locations. CLS had required characters that had all been farmable since launch (save for R2, who was gotten by characters that were all farmable since launch).

This is a new direction. And many players (free to play and paying customers alike) don't like it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Ask yourself - when was the last time we had an event that required two toons that both had to be farmed from the same area and both have only been farmable for a month? The answer is none, because until this event, it had never happened. Phoenix were divided up across different farming locations.

Phoenix had two cantina characters. One of them was also in fleet, but with the rarity any given character actually shows up in fleet, there was no way you could do it without farming both in cantina.

The problem is this "Pay-to-Rey" event is a shift in the overall philosophy of the game. The game is moving from "pay to win" - which is a fine model - to "pay to play". Imagine arena shards with Talzin and Pay-To-Rey at the top - because that is precisely the direction the game is headed. EA pushed the envelope in BF2 with MTX in a paid for game. Now they are moving this game as far as they can to drain the whales and dolphins dry with every new release and leaving the f2p players completely outside in the dark.

I have played this game for 2+ years. The change is evident - and it's not like that with every other game. EA/CG thinks they can force the issue (no pun intended) because Star Wars. IMHO (and that have many others), they are pushing too hard. They've already bled me dry - I'm done spending money. Other dolphins/guppies/whales are also closing their wallets. One of the main reasons is that there is no end in sight. They simply keep moving the goal posts - and now, they move them higher, farther and faster then previous rates.

Ask yourself - when was the last time we had an event that required two toons that both had to be farmed from the same area and both have only been farmable for a month? The answer is none, because until this event, it had never happened. Phoenix were divided up across different farming locations. CLS had required characters that had all been farmable since launch (save for R2, who was gotten by characters that were all farmable since launch).

This is a new direction. And many players (free to play and paying customers alike) don't like it.

100 percent yes. There has been a seismic shift since tbs.
  • EA needs to make up for the loss of loot boxes in bf2. They decided to take it out here in Mobile. Bad press has not made it to mobile yet
    The problem is this "Pay-to-Rey" event is a shift in the overall philosophy of the game. The game is moving from "pay to win" - which is a fine model - to "pay to play".

So be it. It's theirs. They can do what they want. When I stop enjoying it I move on.

• Liath wrote: »

Ask yourself - when was the last time we had an event that required two toons that both had to be farmed from the same area and both have only been farmable for a month? The answer is none, because until this event, it had never happened. Phoenix were divided up across different farming locations.

Phoenix had two cantina characters. One of them was also in fleet, but with the rarity any given character actually shows up in fleet, there was no way you could do it without farming both in cantina.

- On the lowest energy nodes possible.
    - You didn't need them at 7*, thrawn could unlock at 5*
    - Thrawn was viable at 5*

It was completely possible for a f2p to get a 5*/6* thrawn without spending an absurd amounts of crystals.

Whereas here the f2p that were excited about the movie and fans of Rey are stuck twiddling thier fingers becsuse it was literally impossible. Unless you dropped everything, and haulted your game progress months ago to save all of your crystals.