Star Wars: The Last Jedi Spoiler thread

Replies

• Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Hux also looks like an inept little kitten now too. They basically left no reason to fear the First Order in episode 9. They're gonna have to create some new bad guys and weapons.
    Post edited by Fauztin on
  • Indeed, I could do without being reminded of Hux too. Urrgh.
    Just make the Riot Trooper from Rey's journey a reality, give us the BB-9e, and let's forget about the rest of them until the next movie.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Dracarys78 wrote: »
    Actually in 1st 2 episodes of 3rd triology they call them selves resistance.
    Finn in episode VII refers to Rey he is with resistance, also in EP VIII several times FInn and new actress on mission of getting hacker quote they are with resistance to slave kids. So i assume they are resistance not rebels. Altho going to the end of ep VIII Leja says we are the spark that will lite rebelion so atm they are not rebels yet. And game wise would be lame to have another op rebel, this franchise is about Jedi and sith and i think those factions should be dominant in game not rebels like chirut,baze,wedge,bigs and a lot more rebels out here. Give some love to Sith and Jedi pretty please.

I hear what you are saying - but the franchise is no longer about Jedi & Sith - its about darkside and lightside. Especially now the Sith have ended.

The movie was about balance. Kylo Ren rose to power, so the force created Rey to balance that power. Luke cut himself off from the force to help preserve some balance in the force.

The sith ended with Vader & Sidious, so should the Jedi. Their existence created the need for the likes of Snoke in the galaxy through the constant balancing act in the force.

Although this is all true - Yoda points out that the force will always be there, whether people are Jedi or Sith. Rey was powerfull in the force and there was little Luke could do to really teach her as she had accomplished most of what she needed to know anyways.

That being said, whether any faction is called Jedi or Sith or Knights of Ren or whatever there will always be constant Dark and Light sides rising and falling in the force - so Rey may as well be named a Jedi as she has the spirit of a Jedi. Which is why Luke said to Kylo at the end "you are so wrong".

But I agree - this game should make the force users in this game (Jedi, Sith, Kylo, Ventress and Snoke - when he comes) more powerful than the likes of troopers and Ewoks for sure.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    fascizio wrote: »
    JJ Abrams is directing episode IX. I wouldn't put it past him to resurrect Snoke or make Kylo out to be a liar (about Rey's parents). Anything is possible at this point. It makes me wonder how many (if any) of the story arcs were planned out for the entire trilogy, or are they just making it up as they go.

Honestly, I would prefer that Kylo be lying to try and turn Rey. I would like if Rey 'came from nothing' .... If not for all the inconsistencies it would inject into Ep.7. Kylo says "It is you" when she force pulls the lightsaber away from him. Why would he know her if her parents were nobody scavengers? Multiple times throughout they imply Han has an idea who she is, like the jump cut away from the conversation when Maz asks him about Rey. If her parents truly sold her "for a few drinks" how could they afford to fly away in a ship like we see in the flashback? So much of 7 doesn't make senses if Kylo is telling the truth. But if she were of Jedi lineage in some way, he has every reason to lie and hide that fact from her.

Very true.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    I for one didn't believe what Kylo said about Rey's parents for one second. Think about it, he is trying to turn her by convincing her that she has nobody but him. Family ties to past heroes would pose a problem here, whereas her parents being drunken nobodies only strenghtens his position. And he is at the same time completing his turn towards darkness, he has no reason to tell the truth.

Rey was able to tell zKylo his deepest fear in TFA. I don't think he'd be able to hide a lie that big from her. Moreover, when he confronts Rey with this revelation, she doesn't object. It's as if she knows it's true.

I dunno. I personally believe kylo is telling the truth. I think it's a great departure from the usual importance of bloodlines which started in ESB (to great effect, of course) and continued in RotJ and the prequels. It was another example of this film subverting expectations.

Also very true, lol
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I am actually surprised at all the deaths of major characters in TLJ, lets recap:

* Admiral Ackbar
    * Vice Admiral Holdo (although she was new to the saga - she was an important character)
    * Capt. Phasma
    * Snoke
    * Luke

That's quite a lot of major characters killed in one movie!
  • Nauros wrote: »
    I for one didn't believe what Kylo said about Rey's parents for one second. Think about it, he is trying to turn her by convincing her that she has nobody but him. Family ties to past heroes would pose a problem here, whereas her parents being drunken nobodies only strenghtens his position. And he is at the same time completing his turn towards darkness, he has no reason to tell the truth.

Rey was able to tell zKylo his deepest fear in TFA. I don't think he'd be able to hide a lie that big from her. Moreover, when he confronts Rey with this revelation, she doesn't object. It's as if she knows it's true.

Yeah, they weren't just having a conversation when that happened though, their minds were actively linked. I feel like that's totally different. And her readiness to agree could just as easily be born from frustration of constantly getting nowhere in her search.
    I dunno. I personally believe kylo is telling the truth. I think it's a great departure from the usual importance of bloodlines which started in ESB (to great effect, of course) and continued in RotJ and the prequels. It was another example of this film subverting expectations.

To be clear, I like the departure from the bloodlines and constant Skywalker lineage talk as well. And I loved the scene with Kylo and Rey in the throne room, I thought they both nailed it. That whole sequence from Snoke to the lightsaber exploding is easily among my favorite Star Wars moments. I just don't think that "truth" fits with the story as established in TFA.
  • Snoke was not beefed up to be anything by Disney, the directors, or anyone involved with the movie. The fanbase hyped him up. Being a force sensitive master, doesn't make him some canon-flex character with a massive backstory. Stop acting like thats the case.
  • Raindragon
    109 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    TLJ gives all prequels the finger

After reading this, I'm slightly offended but more excited. Hopefully it continues this way.
    The Academy of the Fallen
  • Mary would be a Mary Sue if she had no weaknesses that is what I personally did not like about Rey is 7 as Boo says she was very good very quickly. With no explanation.

I like Rey a lot in Episode 8 she was strong at a critical moment for the galaxy while Luke was fearful. More importantly there is charceter development and weaknesses i.e. the desire to know and have loving parents.
  • Boo wrote: »
    This movie certainly took the predictability of Star Wars out of the franchise as I was sure we would see luke in action in this one and Snoke would meet his end in E9, but we got twisted as an audience and so I was left wondering what the hec are they going to do with E9.

I'm pretty excited for the next one. This movie set up a lot of interesting things - Kylo is now Supreme Leader, a far more interesting character than Snoke ever was (not to knock Andy Serkis' performance, it's just the writers that penned snoke as a utility character). Rey is now pretty strong, Leia is still alive (how's that going to work?), Poe has learned his lesson, Finn is committed to the cause. I often wondered if either of those two are force sensitive due to their abilities (Poe's amazing flying, Finn's resistance to FO training), but I'd be completely okay with them being regular people.
    I'm hoping Ep9 delves into the First Order a bit more (why are they taking over? how did they start, where did they come from?). I'd love to see some of Finn's flashbacks to his time in the FO (brief ones). And the inevitable Kylo vs. Rey showdown with Knights of Ren should be amazing.
    Or was this child in the end scene a hint that no matter what we they do - like Luke's sacrifice into the force to prevent another dark-sider rising to be his equal - there would always be the force, there will always be users of that force who will either be good or bad - so did his sacrifice really mean anything??? Also Leia (is not trained as Jedi, but is certainly not "cut off" from the force either). She is still a power in the galaxy as well and serves the good/light, so where is her equal in the galaxy?

It seems like the Force's balance is upset when force users do "unnatural" things to upset the balance, which is why I don't think Leia had much of an effect - up until this movie all she'd done was to passively feel the force. Luke projected himself across space which is pretty unnatural, and reconnected with the force. I suspect he knew that if he continued on, he'd either stunt the new force sensitives or bring darkness to them. But that's just the theory I can come up with by watching TLJ and Rebels season 3. Certainly SW canon isn't airtight, so there's a lot of room for interpretation.
    Perhaps new force sensitives will rise to aid Rey. It was always hinted that Finn was force sensitive from early TFA media (holding lightsaber) so perhaps that will hold true - plus his ability to reject the indoctrination of the First Order (something never been done before). Also Poe, his abilities as a pilot go beyond anything we have seen from Wedge, Han, Luke or indeed Anakin.

I know its all a stretch, but Rey to combat Supreme Leader Kylo Ren as well as his Knights of Ren (who are obviously the force sensitive Jedi trainees of Luke, that left to follow Kylo) - can Rey alone be the only force sensitive being to destroy multiple threats?

At the end of the movie, the child doing the lightsaber routine with the broom actually force-pulls it into his hand when he walks out the door. Subtle and easy to miss. So I suspect you're right, there will be a new generation of jedi to help Rey. And I suspect they came about due to the shifting from the light to dark of the Knights of Ren (and the deaths of the ones that refused to join). With the Resistance down to a handful, it'll be interesting to see how they rebuild and defeat the FO.

xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    This movie certainly took the predictability of Star Wars out of the franchise as I was sure we would see luke in action in this one and Snoke would meet his end in E9, but we got twisted as an audience and so I was left wondering what the hec are they going to do with E9.

I'm pretty excited for the next one. This movie set up a lot of interesting things - Kylo is now Supreme Leader, a far more interesting character than Snoke ever was (not to knock Andy Serkis' performance, it's just the writers that penned snoke as a utility character). Rey is now pretty strong, Leia is still alive (how's that going to work?), Poe has learned his lesson, Finn is committed to the cause. I often wondered if either of those two are force sensitive due to their abilities (Poe's amazing flying, Finn's resistance to FO training), but I'd be completely okay with them being regular people.
    I'm hoping Ep9 delves into the First Order a bit more (why are they taking over? how did they start, where did they come from?). I'd love to see some of Finn's flashbacks to his time in the FO (brief ones). And the inevitable Kylo vs. Rey showdown with Knights of Ren should be amazing.
    Or was this child in the end scene a hint that no matter what we they do - like Luke's sacrifice into the force to prevent another dark-sider rising to be his equal - there would always be the force, there will always be users of that force who will either be good or bad - so did his sacrifice really mean anything??? Also Leia (is not trained as Jedi, but is certainly not "cut off" from the force either). She is still a power in the galaxy as well and serves the good/light, so where is her equal in the galaxy?

It seems like the Force's balance is upset when force users do "unnatural" things to upset the balance, which is why I don't think Leia had much of an effect - up until this movie all she'd done was to passively feel the force. Luke projected himself across space which is pretty unnatural, and reconnected with the force. I suspect he knew that if he continued on, he'd either stunt the new force sensitives or bring darkness to them. But that's just the theory I can come up with by watching TLJ and Rebels season 3. Certainly SW canon isn't airtight, so there's a lot of room for interpretation.
    Perhaps new force sensitives will rise to aid Rey. It was always hinted that Finn was force sensitive from early TFA media (holding lightsaber) so perhaps that will hold true - plus his ability to reject the indoctrination of the First Order (something never been done before). Also Poe, his abilities as a pilot go beyond anything we have seen from Wedge, Han, Luke or indeed Anakin.

I know its all a stretch, but Rey to combat Supreme Leader Kylo Ren as well as his Knights of Ren (who are obviously the force sensitive Jedi trainees of Luke, that left to follow Kylo) - can Rey alone be the only force sensitive being to destroy multiple threats?

At the end of the movie, the child doing the lightsaber routine with the broom actually force-pulls it into his hand when he walks out the door. Subtle and easy to miss. So I suspect you're right, there will be a new generation of jedi to help Rey. And I suspect they came about due to the shifting from the light to dark of the Knights of Ren (and the deaths of the ones that refused to join). With the Resistance down to a handful, it'll be interesting to see how they rebuild and defeat the FO.

Ya I agree.

I caught the force pull of the broom with the kid, hence me raising that issue, but like we also both agree on is the Poe and Finn force sensitive question. I am ok if they too are regular people as well.

I was just surprised with Snokes death I was thinking at that moment - what are they gonna do with E9? But he quickly took the Mantle of Supreme Leader and soldiered on to lead the first order - so it will be interesting to see where that leads.

Now with the Resistance, sorry...Rebels (that really bugs - Disney want to move away from old movies and create new characters but keep the whole Rebel thing), they have to rebuild quickly if they have any hope on taking on the first order.

Personally, I can see E9 being set several years ahead (not directly after as TLJ did with TFA). Rey certainly needs force sensitives to help battle Kylo and his Knights of Ren - there is no way she could do that alone. Also, like I say the Resistance needs to build its forces considerably.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    fascizio wrote: »

Yeah, they weren't just having a conversation when that happened though, their minds were actively linked. I feel like that's totally different. And her readiness to agree could just as easily be born from frustration of constantly getting nowhere in her search.

To be clear, I like the departure from the bloodlines and constant Skywalker lineage talk as well. And I loved the scene with Kylo and Rey in the throne room, I thought they both nailed it. That whole sequence from Snoke to the lightsaber exploding is easily among my favorite Star Wars moments. I just don't think that "truth" fits with the story as established in TFA.

The movie still shows that Anakin was the most powerful force sensitive ever (yes he did not reach full power - but that is not the point).

Anakin was the force personified - pure force. Kylo being a mixed blooded grandson is somewhat a watered down version of Anakin. Rey's rise to power is to balance Kylo's power so neither Rey nor Kylo could top Anakin's true power.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Another issue that bugs me the more I think of it is when Rey and Kylo are fighting Snoke's praetorian guards (who are not force users - just extremely handy with whatever weapons they were using).

Kylo gets disarmed and runs like a little girl - the whole time I am thinking "Dude, you don't need a lightsaber to fight those guys - you have the force"!

Why the hec didn't Kylo crush them with a thought???
    kalidor wrote: »

Ya I agree.

I caught the force pull of the broom with the kid, hence me raising that issue, but like we also both agree on is the Poe and Finn force sensitive question. I am ok if they too are regular people as well.

I was just surprised with Snokes death I was thinking at that moment - what are they gonna do with E9? But he quickly took the Mantle of Supreme Leader and soldiered on to lead the first order - so it will be interesting to see where that leads.

Now with the Resistance, sorry...Rebels (that really bugs - Disney want to move away from old movies and create new characters but keep the whole Rebel thing), they have to rebuild quickly if they have any hope on taking on the first order.

Personally, I can see E9 being set several years ahead (not directly after as TLJ did with TFA). Rey certainly needs force sensitives to help battle Kylo and his Knights of Ren - there is no way she could do that alone. Also, like I say the Resistance needs to build its forces considerably.

What if the force has chosen Rey like it chose Anakin? If there are many knights of Ren then the force must have chosen many people like Rey to fight for the light side?

Star Wars should end with a perfect balance in the force however as the last 8 episodes have shown that's difficult to achieve. Maybe SW will reflect really life where good and evil co desist but they never cancel each other out. In other words the rise of one causes the rise of the other
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Yes and that is where I thought this movie was going originally with Rey being trained as Grey a force user using both light and dark aspects - a balance within the force as it is meant to be.

Kylo had the right idea stating to Rey that they should let the resistance get wiped out - let everything be destroyed and start something new - but what he thought was "new" was ruling over the galaxy in tyranny and being a master of the dark side while taking rey as his apprentice - Where have we seen this before?(Sith).

Snoke states that Rey has the heart or spirit of a Jedi and therefore must die. Luke himself confirms that Rey also has the spirit of a Jedi and is therefore the Last Jedi after him, when he speaks to Kylo at the end.

Rey is clearly Jedi/Light and Kylo is clearly dark - so where is this balance that the galaxy obviously needs - no one seems to be able to let anything die and create a new for the greater good of the galaxy.

It will certainly be interesting to see how E9 plays out.
  • I'm not sure (deaf in one ear) but, I think Poe said "I'm holding for General Hugs" not Hux.
    And I shot an M&M out of my nose when Luke said "laser sword"
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I'm not sure (deaf in one ear) but, I think Poe said "I'm holding for General Hugs" not Hux.
    And I shot an M&M out of my nose when Luke said "laser sword"[/quote]

I kinda cringed at that line too, but then I quickly got thinking...Dumb children (such as little Ani) refer to lightsabers as laser swords. So I guess the lay/common people of the galaxy or uneducated folk also refer lightsabers as laser swords.

At this point Luke knew very little about Rey, so I guess he assumed she was a galactic commoner with uneducated vocabulary regarding such things and therefore tried to communicate with her in a way she would understand. Also what he said in that line helped educate her that a mere single Jedi is not powerful enough to battle an entire galaxy, as the galactic myth of the Jedi would otherwise dictate.

I think a lot. lol
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2017

I kinda cringed at that line too, but then I quickly got thinking...Dumb children (such as little Ani) refer to lightsabers as laser swords. So I guess the lay/common people of the galaxy or uneducated folk also refer lightsabers as laser swords.

At this point Luke knew very little about Rey, so I guess he assumed she was a galactic commoner with uneducated vocabulary regarding such things and therefore tried to communicate with her in a way she would understand. Also what he said in that line helped educate her that a mere single Jedi is not powerful enough to battle an entire galaxy, as the galactic myth of the Jedi would otherwise dictate.

I think a lot. lol

I was thinking of how a non-Star Wars fan would use "laser sword" with "space wizard" to make fun and refuse to say Jedi or lightsaber.

I really hope this doesn't mean that the Resistance heroes become Rebels as well - because we need more Rebels like we do a SW film on Jar Jar.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Did some more thinking about the movie and one thing keeps bugging me: Why did Holdo (the purple haired woman) not simply tell Poe what the plan was? Or at least that there was a plan? Did I miss some explanation for this act of terrible leadership from someone who should have been competent, or was it there just to provide an excuse for Finn and Rose's disastrous, bumbling escapades regardless of it making absolutely zero sense?
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Did some more thinking about the movie and one thing keeps bugging me: Why did Holdo (the purple haired woman) not simply tell Poe what the plan was? Or at least that there was a plan? Did I miss some explanation for this act of terrible leadership from someone who should have been competent, or was it there just to provide an excuse for Finn and Rose's disastrous, bumbling escapades regardless of it making absolutely zero sense?

She didn't know of any tech that the First Order was using and, like most leaders, assumed there was a mole. Her not trusting Poe is the whole reason Finn and Rose had to steal off to Canto Blight. It actually makes a perfect arc for Poe to become a great leader in the next movie.
    Post edited by Hannibal_Bexus on
  • Well, if you watch the movie, Luke sure didn’t feel that way
  • I do not feel like he was a waste. Did you want a second Palpatine? His death scene was incredibly coordinated and directed. Just because he was a strong character doesn't mean that he has to live through the whole trilogy. I think you are just used to knowing every little detail about a character, and a mysterious one rattles you in a way that you don't appreciate. I´m also willing to bet that there will be a novel titled ¨Snoke¨ in the future. I think he would be a great addition. Kylo killed him and it was amazing; Vader also planned to kill Palpatine in a similar fashion but never had it pull through. All in all, I think that he should 100% be added to the game. Phasma, however... yeah she was totally wasted.
  • my cousin called me today and he even agreed it ****. he saw esb in theatres when it first came out
  • High command doesnt need to answer to lower ranking officers. Works the other way around. Ahe didnt owe Poe a thing.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • fascizio wrote: »
    JJ Abrams is directing episode IX. I wouldn't put it past him to resurrect Snoke or make Kylo out to be a liar (about Rey's parents). Anything is possible at this point. It makes me wonder how many (if any) of the story arcs were planned out for the entire trilogy, or are they just making it up as they go.

Honestly, I would prefer that Kylo be lying to try and turn Rey. I would like if Rey 'came from nothing' .... If not for all the inconsistencies it would inject into Ep.7. Kylo says "It is you" when she force pulls the lightsaber away from him. Why would he know her if her parents were nobody scavengers? Multiple times throughout they imply Han has an idea who she is, like the jump cut away from the conversation when Maz asks him about Rey. If her parents truly sold her "for a few drinks" how could they afford to fly away in a ship like we see in the flashback? So much of 7 doesn't make senses if Kylo is telling the truth. But if she were of Jedi lineage in some way, he has every reason to lie and hide that fact from her.

I think Reys parents traded her to unkarr plutt for a ship off of Jakuu. That's what we are seeing in the flashback with young rey. Kylo used the filthy drunkard junktrader line to reinforce that her parents were awful.
  • spicynachosupreme1
    507 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I hope the death of snoke opens the door to have the knights of ren play a role in episode 9.

Also, Luke Skywalker tossing the "chosen ones" lightsaber over the cliff.....Priceless. I almost died when that happened. One of my favorite scenes for sure.
  • Ariella
    219 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I do not feel like he was a waste. Did you want a second Palpatine? His death scene was incredibly coordinated and directed. Just because he was a strong character doesn't mean that he has to live through the whole trilogy. I think you are just used to knowing every little detail about a character, and a mysterious one rattles you in a way that you don't appreciate. I´m also willing to bet that there will be a novel titled ¨Snoke¨ in the future. I think he would be a great addition. Kylo killed him and it was amazing; Vader also planned to kill Palpatine in a similar fashion but never had it pull through. All in all, I think that he should 100% be added to the game. Phasma, however... yeah she was totally wasted.

I don’t need every little detail. But I can count the things we all know about Snoke on one hand. How about just a mediocre amount of information... at least build him up a bit. Every time characters in TFA or TLJ spoke about Snoke they spoke with fear and dread as if he’s the baddest guy to ever live. What I’m saying is this just wasn’t believable at all.

Maybe I should just be satisfied with shirtless Kylo like a good little fan girl :/ And no, I don’t need to see him added to the game either!
  • People seem to forget that very little was known about the emperor. Everyone fears him so you don't need to know more than that really. Snoke's undoing was his overconfidence as has been a theme in SW many times.

Phasma was wasted. I hope she doesn't come back.
This discussion has been closed.