My detailed perspective on the new bundle

BaneisOP
12 posts Member
edited December 2015
Hi everyone, hope you have enjoyed the latest movie Star WarsVII: the force awakens, if you have not watched it yet, I strongly recommend you do so, as it was a fantastic movie and I loved it.

Nevertheless, just today I have opened SWHOG on my tablet and realised that there was a new bundle and to be frank, although it is very costly, as other members mentioned before, it is not a rip-off compared to other bundles.

For 100dollars or more (price varies in currency/countries), you receive a 50dollars worth of shards and will obtain 2x4-star characters and2x3-star characters (one of them can be immediately upgraded to 4-star)

Nevertheless, unlike small proportion of players who spend ridiculous amount of money, there really seems to be lot of frustrations from players who does not spend money, including players like me who spent about 20dollars on the game...

I know there is no possibility of me changing the price, but rather charging players with lot of money on bundles, I believe that EA would generate lot more income, if they were to lower the price of the bundle to around 70-80dollars and give small amount of gem for free...(maybe 200-300gems?)

Sounds too good of a deal? well, it's not, this way, it would cause greater change in the meta and the character would not be as broken, the best part is that us players get to enjoy the character, while EA generates more profit.

Why would EA generate more profit? Well, it's simple, by increasing both the supply and demand, many more players could obtain the new character. Simply, it would encourage them to stay on the game, thus making the meta more intense and competitive and players would more likely to spend money on gem packs to improve their team, enhance gameplay and their squad and so on...(this is hypothetical statement)

Please feel free to leave a comment and if anyone has those characters in the bundle, let me and other know, what it feels like using one.

Replies

• After playing the another game that this team developed. I can tell you that they have big plans for this game. As far as characters just wait this is nothing. They have the artist working really hard creating a lot of characters to release. The feedback they got from the other game was put into this game. Yes, it's a lot of money to ask of players but, when you look at the overhead that it cost to maintain this game then, it makes more sense.
  • The price is too high. If you want more people to purchase it, go for a $60-70 range.
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    The price is too high. If you want more people to purchase it, go for a $60-70 range.

You might as well remove the crystals from the pack then... Indeed I'm not even sure why they put crystals into the pack, cause it would have resulted in a lower cost and probably a lot less people complaining... Guess the marketing people fell asleep or something

For me the pack doesn't really interest me that much... not because of the price but because of the characters they put in.. and frankly what they done with Barriss has made me very wary. Without going too much into that issue, I'd expected it but not to the extent they choose to...
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • Lol they are farmable characters too, cheaper to spend money on refills and extra chances. I'll be dumping refills in the cantina for Kylo and I bet I'll pay less than a 10th of the package, plus all the Daka shards I'll get from the shipments and ability materials.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    How can you farm Kylo in the Cantina? He isn't there.
  • @J7000 , Kylo is farmable starting tomorrow.
  • He'll be in 4-C tomorrow. It was in the news thing they sent with the mobile update. Finn just happened to slip into 3-E today.
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    @J7000 , Kylo is farmable starting tomorrow.

Thanks sir
  • You're welcome
  • I bought the pack and absolutely love it. My only concern is that I spent the entirety of the gems on two 8x chromium bundles and a few solo ones after that - I received ZERO Kylo Ren shards when it says "best chance to obtain Kylo Ren"... Pretty stupid if you ask me. about 19 pulls and zero Kylo Ren shards when 16 of the pulls had the "best chance".
  • Skye
    795 posts Member
    Daykos wrote: »
    I bought the pack and absolutely love it. My only concern is that I spent the entirety of the gems on two 8x chromium bundles and a few solo ones after that - I received ZERO Kylo Ren shards when it says "best chance to obtain Kylo Ren"... Pretty stupid if you ask me. about 19 pulls and zero Kylo Ren shards when 16 of the pulls had the "best chance".

I was saying to a friend that i suspected part of the reason they put that amount of crystals into that pack was because they wanted people to spend it on those 8 packs.
    Former crazy person of the guild "Shard Awakens"... *quit game 13th July 2016*

Game used to be fun when it wasn't a grind... if I wanted a grind I would have went and played old school Everquest or some Korean MMO!
  • What ever happened to micro transactions... these are macro. Large.
    I'd buy the game for $30 bucks if everyone was unlocked at 1 star. Then you can pay for crystals for shards, etc.
    But the transactions in these games are just getting crazy.
    With a single household income and family of 5, how can the average folk dump $100+ into a game? I'm not being critical for those who do... maybe I'm not in the targeted category anymore, but I'm a huge star wars fan and would love to be able to get some of these goodies... but at more reasonable prices.
  • The crystals are only worth 40€.For 50€ i get 7370 crystals.
    I dont buy the pack because dont need crystals.
    Have still 2500 from my 2800 pack i bought 2 weeks ago.
    2x4*+2x3* Heros its like the Barris pack.
    For 50€ ok but not for 100€.

• I don't disagree with that the prices they have set up that this pack is bad. What I disagree with is that roughly 1$ = 100 shards and whoever is placing the value of the characters. It sucks because this is fun but just so depressing that money wins all.
  • Daykos wrote: »
    I bought the pack and absolutely love it. My only concern is that I spent the entirety of the gems on two 8x chromium bundles and a few solo ones after that - I received ZERO Kylo Ren shards when it says "best chance to obtain Kylo Ren"... Pretty stupid if you ask me. about 19 pulls and zero Kylo Ren shards when 16 of the pulls had the "best chance".
    The are just advertising the chromium packs with Kylo Ren, doesn't mean they altered the packs in any way to give better chance at kylo ren, they could say that about any character basically.

• Towani wrote: »
    What ever happened to micro transactions... these are macro. Large.
    I'd buy the game for $30 bucks if everyone was unlocked at 1 star. Then you can pay for crystals for shards, etc.
    But the transactions in these games are just getting crazy.
    With a single household income and family of 5, how can the average folk dump $100+ into a game? I'm not being critical for those who do... maybe I'm not in the targeted category anymore, but I'm a huge star wars fan and would love to be able to get some of these goodies... but at more reasonable prices.

Your price strategy would have made EA more money than the current one. In your idea, everyone playing pays $30 and maybe more depending whereas the current reality is everyone is in for free and maybe 15% if they are lucky buy into these expensive packs. I don't see a situation where 50-60% are spending $200 on this....
  • Cythis
    273 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    The best farmable character was given for free. The pack was decent they get you with the star upgrade on Kylo, Obi and any other character non farmable.

Just bank Kylo for the future or play him as is the rest are farmable. Your really only paying for one character and some crystals.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Do not spend as they will nerf it , they have decided how to miss handle our money
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • AaronNemoyten
    74 posts
    edited December 2015
    Your price strategy would have made EA more money than the current one. In your idea, everyone playing pays $30 and maybe more depending whereas the current reality is everyone is in for free and maybe 15% if they are lucky buy into these expensive packs. I don't see a situation where 50-60% are spending $200 on this....

So I usually don't weigh into discussions about f2p versus p2p or pricing strategy, but I just want to call out that typically in free to play games, the percentage of spenders is < 5%, sometimes < 2% depending on the game. And most spenders spend < $20.

(I'm speaking in a general sense about the industry, of course, not telling you any specific and obviously confidential numbers from this game!)

-Aaron
  • Slight addition, without editing my original post again - I appreciate that most of you are critiquing the new pack, and you dislike it, but you're having a serious discussion about it. I encourage that type of discussion here - being critical of Capital Games or EA is not a problem if it's a reasonable discussion like this.

-Aaron
  • Aaron,

If you take anything back from this I think it's obvious that the price-testing that is going on has crossed a boundary. And it is price-testing - you're looking to see what the market will bear. Many of us are aware that a F2P game is supported by 'whales' but there are also many of us who like to give something to the company who created a game we like, to support further development; that stops when you start asking the price of two console games or an old motorbike for some elements.. elements!!!... of a mobile game that may or not be changed in the future.

There will be deep suspicion amongst the paying players that their investment may prove worthless in the next few months, perhaps even weeks, as demonstrated by previous actions. I doubt very much that there is any confidence in buying into this game further at the moment, especially not at the price point being offered.

Your future sales figures may well prove me wrong, but I would be very surprised if you sold 20 times as many of this recent offering as Dooku bundles which were cheap and good fun, especially for new players. More of those please, fewer offers that cost the same as half-decent TV.
  • What @MonMors said!
  • BaneisOP
    12 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    well, as for EA, I personally think they will make a killing, if they made a system, where like Mortal Kombat X and Injustice: God amongst us (they are both game apps, available in many platforms); where you have a new character and you are given the option to either buy the bundle OR to engage in a combat with AI team that consists of different synergy and tactics, varying in level, ability and so on...

There is a system in this mini-game, where if you do not wish to fight the AI team, you can pay in-game currency to skip a fight and get closer to a boss fight. (Winning the boss fight will allow the player to move on to another chapter, providing them with various rewards... the catch is, if the player gets to win all the matches, he/she then receive the featured character for free.

With that being said, the challenge is very difficult and would ultimately encourage the player to either give their best shot and obtain as much reward as they can or to spend extra money or gems to complete the challenge. This way, many players will stop complaining and whining about the over priced bundle and they also have a chance (a small one) at completing the challenge.

Nevertheless, if the player would like to unlock the character, but do not want to spend tremendous amount of money on bundles can still spend less amount of money to obtain their desired character, allowing the to enhance their gameplay experience.

*As I state again, this is just an idea and hypothetical statement, please feel free to give criticism/opinion, cheers people for reading.
  • Reddplague wrote: »
    After playing the another game that this team developed. I can tell you that they have big plans for this game. As far as characters just wait this is nothing. They have the artist working really hard creating a lot of characters to release. The feedback they got from the other game was put into this game. Yes, it's a lot of money to ask of players but, when you look at the overhead that it cost to maintain this game then, it makes more sense.

Your statement sound very sensible and I must say being a player myself, my perspective is biased to some extent, nevertheless, I still think that if EA would change the bundle like the one I described, they would make more money both in short and long term.
  • Cythis wrote: »
    The best farmable character was given for free. The pack was decent they get you with the star upgrade on Kylo, Obi and any other character non farmable.

Just bank Kylo for the future or play him as is the rest are farmable. Your really only paying for one character and some crystals.

Kylo is farmable starting tomorrow...