Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    amaze122 wrote: »

In your experience with Raids (this is my first), does it look as though I was placed in the correct tier?

No one places you in a tier. Your guild runs a tier and you try to contribute. The higher tier they run the better the rewards. Your characters get revived every 24 hours at a time called roster refresh.
  • Well definitely after I get my Raid rewards (since my contributions paid for 'em!) I am out of there!

I have checked out the Guild recruitment page but...so many to choose from. Anyone have a Guild that they can recommend me too, one that meets all the requirements that you guys have been telling me I should expect from a good one?

I just need a place where all my contributing can start to pay off for some good rewards, and eventual development of my characters.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Well definitely after I get my Raid rewards (since my contributions paid for 'em!) I am out of there!

I have checked out the Guild recruitment page but...so many to choose from. Anyone have a Guild that they can recommend me too, one that meets all the requirements that you guys have been telling me I should expect from a good one?

I just need a place where all my contributing can start to pay off for some good rewards, and eventual development of my characters.

If it takes them 4 days to do a raid you could do two raids somewhere else. Sorry I can't reccomend somewhere the guild Inn in used to be new player friendly but brought in a minimum of level 55 recently (So everyone can participate in tb and tw within a couple of weeks of joining).
  • amaze122 wrote: »

Join ours "the reserved guild".

Good mix of newer and older players. Relaxed, friendly, helpful. We all work hard and achieve. There's no egos.

• CoastalJames
    2971 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Just spoke with management. You're in if you want to be @amaze122 , just let me know your user name so I can tell admin to let you in when you knock.
    Post edited by CoastalJames on
  • Yeah attack all 5 instead of one at a time, which is called AOE, is very good. Tarkin's ultimate firepower is one of those abilities. Other great AOR characters are Lando Calrissian, Wedge Antilles, Darth Nihilus, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Kylo Ren, R2-D2, Mother Talzin, Deathtrooper, Director Krennic, Wampa, Baze Malbus, Sith trooper, General Veers, Colonel Starck, Darth Maul, Rebel Officer Leia Organa, Cassian Andor, Sabine Wren,.....

AOE is great, in short. Especially Lando Calrissian is awesome. Because he can use that AOE without cooldown, if he score more than 1 (2 or more) critical hits. He rules the beginner's arenas. Just watch out characters that attack back. If you do AOE against team with all 5 attacking back, you will be hit back by all of them, which is quite funny lol. Phoenix with Kanan Jarrus can attack back. Kylo Ren gets retribution buff after using Lash Out ability. Retribution buff makes the character to attack back. Rebel team with Commander Luke lead can attack back too. General Kenobi guves retribution buff to all 5 of his team when he use his cleansing ability. 1st special.
  • Especially Lando Calrissian is awesome...

Oh he really is. Can seriously mess up people's days lol. And the noise as he so stylishly rains down death from the skies is oh so satisfying :)

One of, if not, the best, beginner to mid-game character.

• From the sounds of it, you definitely need to find a better guild. I'd love to offer you a spot in mine, but we do heroic raids so you would need 7☆ characters for those. Plus, the gear you will get from the lower tier raids will help to gear your roster.

Glad to hear you are doing so well in your arena, that is the single most important area to do good in because of the crystals rewarded for finishing in the top of the ranks. Keep up the good work and keep developing your characters to stay strong. You don't need to gear and level every toon you have, and as you progress further you will find yourself having to choose which ones are more important to use your ever-dwindling credits and gear pieces on. Once you get a team of Scoundrels put together for doing credit heists, it will help some with that. Lando just happens to be a scoundrel, too!

Enjoying reading about your progress! Have a Happy New Year and good luck with your guild search.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Okay, I have this Raid stuff figured out now; you don't ever win, like in GW, you just keep fighting, and your effort contributes to the whole, and at the end, you are rewarded accordingly. Or so I guess, 'cause nobody is explaining jack over there! They said that guilds were full of helpful people, but this one aint it, LoL

Yes. Everybody's damage is added together and once you collectively do enough damage to kill each phase, the guild wins and everybody who participated gets rewards. There is no set time that it takes, you just keep going until it's done (except with heroic/tier 7, which has to be done in 48 hours). But of course the faster it gets done, the faster the guild can start the next raid, if they have enough tickets. So you want to be in a guild that can raid quickly and often, and that has a good number of people getting at or close to the 600 ticket mark each day.

The more damage you personally do, the better your rewards (in theory - there's still randomness involved in the gear boxes, but you get more credits and guild currency at least). With the right team it is possible to "solo" the heroic Rancor raid, but that's not something you need to worry about yet.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    First of all Happy New Year to all of you! :p

Thank you @Liath for that Guild explanation. Hmmn..."a guild that can raid quickly and often, and that has a good number of people getting at or close to the 600 ticket mark each day"... If only there was a "Classifieds" section here, LoL the Guild recruitment section here oddly is strictly for the players and forbids the Guilds advertising themselves, if I understood it correctly.

@CoastalJames I sent you a message, and I will take you up on your kind offer as soon as this Raid is over.

By the way, you are going to think I am making this up... I just had my butt handed to me in the Arena by none other than (drumroll, please) Lando himself, smiling the whole time he Demolished my crew! Another weird thing that happened in this same fight was their Colonel Dooku attacked one of my people Four Times at once! Now mine has "counter-attack and does the same thing, so I understand the concept. But my Dooku only counter-attacks Once, not Four Times!? WTH?

I think my days of Arena dominance are over because as I gaze at the three opponents waiting for me as soon as the cooldown is over I am seeing none other than Lando, Another Lando, and Bobba Fett! Jeez, who is next, Darth himself? :'(

I am level 44, these next three guys are level 42 - 43, how in the world do you get a maxed Lando at that level?

From this, and what you are saying about scoundrels and credit heists, It is Definitely time to head on down to the ol' farm and see if I can meet Mr. Carlrissien. No matter how much time it takes!

Edit: Ignore me, I must have had too much New Year's Egg Nog, I just checked; and ol' Lando is letting his reputation go to his head; he would not agree to come with me for less than 80 Empire shards. I left him sitting there in the Cantina and burned outta there, No Way!

Any idea for a character to dominate Arena that does not take a lifetime to farm? I was checking and here are some of the impressive shards that I have thus far. Vader 54/80, (Lando only 7/80 LoL), Mace Windu 41/80, Colonel Starck 40/80, Imperial Probe Droid 40/80, Datcha 26/80, Nightsister Spirit and Nightsister Zombie 4/25.

Well that sadly is it; everyone else I only have 0 - 3 shards of... :neutral:
    Post edited by amaze122 on
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    First of all Happy New Year to all of you! :p

Thank you @Liath for that Guild explanation. Hmmn..."a guild that can raid quickly and often, and that has a good number of people getting at or close to the 600 ticket mark each day"... If only there was a "Classifieds" section here, LoL the Guild recruitment section here oddly is strictly for the players and forbids the Guilds advertising themselves, if I understood it correctly.

The "Guilds and Recruitment" section of the forum (https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/categories/player-guilds) is full of posts from guilds advertising for members. The first megathread at the top is for players to post in if they are looking for guilds, but the next couple are for guilds looking for members, and then the regular threads below those are mostly from guilds.

As for Dooku, he will counter each hit against him, so if you have a character that attacks more than once (like Leia), he will counter each of them. Also each time he uses his basic (which includes counters) he has a chance to attack again. The percent chance depends on the level of the ability and goes up to 50% chance. It will always *feel* like that's a 95% chance for the opposing Dooku and a 5% chance for your own Dooku.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    If they have a 7 star lando they probably did that cantina node every battle from when they started til now or bought hundred of chromium packs hoping to get lando shards.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Liath when you go to the recruitment section they tell you to read the sticky in the first post. Here is what it says; "No guild advertisements. This thread is for player advertisements only. "

Edit: My last post, the "Happy New Years" one disappeared, can you be a dear and help find it for me? Thank you so much o:)
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    @Liath when you go to the recruitment section they tell you to read the sticky in the first post. Here is what it says; "No guild advertisements. This thread is for player advertisements only. "

Edit: My last post, the "Happy New Years" one disappeared, can you be a dear and help find it for me? Thank you so much o:)

This thread there are other threads in the forum

As to your disappearing post try a moderator. You can get caught in the spam filter very easily here.

@Kyno @Sunnie1978
  • @Naraic, Oh I see. I thought that Liath was a Mod, sorry.. Should I PM either Kyno or Sunnie1978, or just address them in the channel and hope that they see it?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    @Naraic, Oh I see. I thought that Liath was a Mod, sorry.. Should I PM either Kyno or Sunnie1978, or just address them in the channel and hope that they see it?

Well you could pm them. They were the first mods I thought of. They will get a notification that they have been mentioned so they might respond to that.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

A thread is not a section of the forum, it's just a single conversation - possibly what you are calling a post. Like this specific conversation you and I and Naraic are having is a thread. The thread at the top of that subforum is just for players, but the subforum itself is for both players and guilds.
  • @Liath I have learned something today, thanks
  • tjzII
    11 posts Member
    I love all the help you are getting amaze122! So awesome!
  • Yeah this forum is the best one that I have been in, the way everyone pitches in, even the moderators! :D
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Every forum I've been on, the moderators are among the most helpful. That's often how they get the job in the first place.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Oh contraire, mon fraire! I don't know about Star Wars forums per se, but I could tell you Stories of some of the Moderators that I have had experience with. Trust me, you just Don't want to know! >:)

Edit: But on another note, I just looked up above, and yeah, my first post of the New Year is back!

Thank you, oh most helpful Sunnie1978, for rescuing it from the jaws of the Death Star trash compactor, (formerly known as the spam filter).

Hey I am sorry that I edit so much, but remember, one of the Moderators told me that he recommended editing, rather than the crime of double-posting, so... o:)
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Naraic the post that Sunnie recovered (check up above in the feed, around 5:43 pm, edited @6pm), had some added questions at the bottom (It's why the spam filter ate it up :) ). I would love your and anyone else's opinion on them...
  • It is official, I am going to be rank #67 Forever!

When I get to the Arena now, all I see are smirking Lando's and Hera's and all I Get is a Wall of Pain, complete with, in Hera's case this odd additional purple health bar over her team.

Then they all go off to the Cantina for drinks while my poor formerly arrogant and powerful team lies dying in the dust... Ah, woe is me

I was just sitting around the "Shipments" area after the funeral and I noticed something. I could use my 20,000 Galactic War gems to buy the Twenty five shards that I need to promote my pretty handy Resistance pilot up to three stars (Power 1459, Gear level 5), Or I could pay the twenty shards Towards the Fifty shards that I would need to buy the services of one Cad Bane, a real **** gunslinger who maybe could help me deal with all of these suddenly proliferate Lando's!

I am betting what everyone will say I should do, especially since several people here have suggested several times that it was time to invest in a Scoundrel, (for reasons that I have forgotten at the moment, LoL), plus did I mention that this Cad kicks butt?

Actually the Scoundrel everyone suggested that I get was Lando, but since that **** requires Eighty Shards just to Talk to me....

Opinions welcome...
  • Farm Lando. He is awesome, and he packs a wallop with his AoE attack (and if it crits, he can do it again). He's worth the grind because he is a great Rebel toon, and for the stage you're at he's a better investment than Cad Bane or Resistance Pilot. Cad's usefulness is mostly limited to rounding out a scoundrel squad, but his stun attack can be handy. Resistance Pilot is the better of those two options since he'll have some use in fleet arena (when you unlock that), and Resistance teams can do very well in raids.

Whatever you do, try to have a plan and stay focused on it. For example, if you start farming Lando but then switch over to say Hera halfway through, you'll just end up with two half-farmed toons. Eventually there is a role for almost every character in the game, and the game is always trying to distract you with new events and new content, all of which are vying for the same limited credits and energy. If you can stick to a plan, you won't get distracted as easily.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Mr Mustache will not fail you. He’s my first 7*
  • Farm Lando it is then. I will talk to you all about Three Months from now, LoL.

Oh well, let me head on over to the Cantina and get started farming...
  • From GW farm nothing but Biggs! He is the single best one in there!
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Anakin I have started the farming of Bigss, thanks!

I was fighting a war today and losing yet again when I realized something, maybe it was from talking to you guys in here, about leadership and buffs and such... I have been fighting the entire time I have been playing this game without a "leader"!

I immediately went to my character screen and began reading, to see who had leadership abilities and who didn't. I discovered that my best leaders on the dark side (hey, the only side that counts, LoL) were Talia for nimbleness and Count Dooku, for his master tactician skill "All Allies gain 9.5% Evasion and gain Offense up for one turn whenever they Evade".

I made him the leader of the squad, and guess what? I am baaack! I still avoid Landos when possible but I am killin' em again, Bobba Fetts, whatever, and my Rank is now 44 (and counting)!

I did not realize that it makes a difference where you place the characters in your squad!

All this time I had Kylo Ren in front because he is my strongest player...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    In the mid 40s it is the time when you begin to see who started the game with a plan and who didn't. If you start farming lando now someone with a 4 star lando already will have a 5 star lando by the time you unlock.

It's probably time to look at all the shops and craft a plan. Lando is a great character and will really help with credit heists ( an even tthat runs every 6-14 days iirc you need scoundrels and ir gets you credits. credit crunch starts to hit at level 50). If you are still running kylo and tarkin as a team Lando will get you slaughtered by phoenix even more because of counter attacks.