New Fleet Arena Payout Scale

Nikoms565
14242 posts Member
edited October 2017
I realize that the point of adding crystals to the arena payout likely has to do with "encouraging" people to participate in a game mode that many dislike or find too time consuming (I actually enjoy ships - and realize I am an oddity).

However, the scale is pretty awful. One of the elegant things about fleet arena was that the payout scale was more linear. 1,800 fleet tokens for 1st versus 1,200 for top 200. That allowed players to try different lineups, participate as needed in a node that takes a little longer, etc.

Not only were crystals introduced, but the scaling is actually far WORSE in ship arena versus squad arena, once you move outside the top 10.

At 20 in squad arena, you earn 200 crystals (or 40% of the top payout). In fleet arena you earn only 100 at 20 (or 25% of the top payout). And beyond 20, no crystal reward at all. Even as far down as 100 in squad arena, players could still earn 20% of the top payout.

With this seemingly "small" addition, fleet rewards have been drastically altered from a linear scale, which was fair to all players, to an extremely top heavy (again, even far worse than squad arena) model, which favors only the elite (i.e. whales).

Sadly, for many f2p, guppies and even dolphins, many don't realize how this seemingly small addition only makes it worse for players at those level, making the rich richer over time. A very poor design choice. Extremely disappointing change.

I realize the need to keep the whales happy - but many were just handed 20k crystals. C'mon man.
In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
*This space left intentionally blank*

Replies

• The rich become richer - this is so unfair and it discourages from playing. I thought there'll be times when I'll be able to move further up the ranks. But now I know that a handful of players will be getting hundreds and hundreds of crystals EVERY f*ing DAY, and thus will be building up their gear much, much more quicker than myself. What's the use in playing if I can't move futher up despite the fact that I'm a devoted player, although not that strong?
  • DEATHCOYOTE
    977 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Negatory. On my shard my Squad* arena is ran like a mafia cartel. You either kiss the ring or a concerted effort is made to push you out of top 50 at the very least. The same people over and over again get the 400 and so on crystal, soaking it up like digital leeches and players just hand over the meaning of a free for all squad arena to the cartel bosses. In fleet arena I have a chance to actually get some crystal since I take first everyday and do not purposely block others payouts. It's more polite that way, but definitely nice to have a source for crystal that does not require me bending the knee to some person I'll never meet irl. It's free for all, albeit respectfully. Some of us enjoy the fleet arena far more than any other game mode, especially since fleet is more like a game of chess than it is Squad Arena checkers. Most king'd checkers will win. Fleet people considerably lower in Fleet Power can beat those higher than them using strategy and the right combination. CG did absolutely amazing with Fleet imho and contrary to normal in the feedback section, I'm gonna suggest CG did a fantastic job with this.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Negatory. On my shard my Squad* arena is ran like a mafia cartel. You either kiss the ring or a concerted effort is made to push you out of top 50 at the very least. The same people over and over again get the 400 and so on crystal, soaking it up like digital leeches and players just hand over the meaning of a free for all squad arena to the cartel bosses. In fleet arena I have a chance to actually get some crystal since I take first everyday and do not purposely block others payouts. It's more polite that way, but definitely nice to have a source for crystal that does not require me bending the knee to some person I'll never meet irl. It's free for all, albeit respectfully. Some of us enjoy the fleet arena far more than any other game mode, especially since fleet is more like a game of chess than it is Squad Arena checkers. Most king'd checkers will win. Fleet people considerably lower in Fleet Power can beat those higher than them using strategy and the right combination. CG did absolutely amazing with Fleet imho and contrary to normal in the feedback section, I'm gonna suggest CG did a fantastic job with this.

You do, of course, realize that the same "kiss the ring" mentality will/is already happening in fleet, now that there are crystals involved, right?

My fleet arena shard already has a chat, and is basically doing the same thing in fleet arena as is common practice in squad arena. That is, respect players payouts, work together and if you don't, you'll get "knocked and locked". It will be no different in a few weeks. Especially if people feel the need to focus more on ships - which the recent change and addition of capital ship power will do.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I'm glad my fleet arena is fairly low on whales. So far no shard chat is needed for the majority of the top players(including Moi as a F2P) to hit #1 at payout. Those +900 crystals for a f2p are a life saver. I can probably do the 4 refreshes on the Ackbar challenge and regain all the crystals I spent in 4 days at most. Thanks EA for finally giving us people who spent time on their fleet something to look forward to.
  • Definitely not a good change, imo. I am glad they limited it to the top 20 though, so the 100-200 bracket should still stay pretty laid back. As long as I can do my daily battle by forfeiting as soon as I enter, and still get 1200 fleet currency, I'm happy. Premium currency handed out in the teainwrecks that are SWGOH's competitive environments, come at a cost that I'm not, and never will be, willing to pay. I've got a $4k monthly entertainment budget that could go towards crystals if I ever wanted them, though, not even a miniscule portion of that ever will, until they reevaluate the way they view their community.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

You do, of course, realize that the same "kiss the ring" mentality will/is already happening in fleet, now that there are crystals involved, right?

My fleet arena shard already has a chat, and is basically doing the same thing in fleet arena as is common practice in squad arena. That is, respect players payouts, work together and if you don't, you'll get "knocked and locked". It will be no different in a few weeks. Especially if people feel the need to focus more on ships - which the recent change and addition of capital ship power will do.

Never happens on my fleet arena and I'm tens of thousands of power above everyone else. I don't try and make anyone bend the knee or spend considerable crystal for refreshes just to move me, and the second strongest fleet has admitted needing to use crystal refreshes on me. I have spent this entire time with a squad arena ruined by collusion and I'm not about to make everything horrible for everyone else when they try to get their payout. So, no... unless your shard is full of colluding terrible players, no.
  • I'm glad my fleet arena is fairly low on whales. So far no shard chat is needed for the majority of the top players(including Moi as a F2P) to hit #1 at payout. Those +900 crystals for a f2p are a life saver. I can probably do the 4 refreshes on the Ackbar challenge and regain all the crystals I spent in 4 days at most. Thanks EA for finally giving us people who spent time on their fleet something to look forward to.

I finally agree with you, look at that! :D
  • Boooo
    106 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I realize that the point of adding crystals to the arena payout likely has to do with "encouraging" people to participate in a game mode that many dislike or find too time consuming (I actually enjoy ships - and realize I am an oddity).

However, the scale is pretty awful. One of the elegant things about fleet arena was that the payout scale was more linear. 1,800 fleet tokens for 1st versus 1,200 for top 200. That allowed players to try different lineups, participate as needed in a node that takes a little longer, etc.

Not only were crystals introduced, but the scaling is actually far WORSE in ship arena versus squad arena, once you move outside the top 10.

At 20 in squad arena, you earn 200 crystals (or 40% of the top payout). In fleet arena you earn only 100 at 20 (or 25% of the top payout). And beyond 20, no crystal reward at all. Even as far down as 100 in squad arena, players could still earn 20% of the top payout.

With this seemingly "small" addition, fleet rewards have been drastically altered from a linear scale, which was fair to all players, to an extremely top heavy (again, even far worse than squad arena) model, which favors only the elite (i.e. whales).

Sadly, for many f2p, guppies and even dolphins, many don't realize how this seemingly small addition only makes it worse for players at those level, making the rich richer over time. A very poor design choice. Extremely disappointing change.

I realize the need to keep the whales happy - but many were just handed 20k crystals. C'mon man.

This was an object of my concern as well as soon as I heard the news - good luck being in the top 20 or better. I hang around in 40s20s but never broke rank 20 and I am quite the avid fleet arena player too.

I feel this is going to put emphasis on fleet arena, together with the release of Chimaera (which of course is not coincidental by any stretch), but I agree with the OP - the rewards suck - very disappointing.

All this means is the lucky players that are able to unlock Chimaera (usually p2p) will once again dominate the leader boards and any farming of zetas or any other shard or blueprint for the f2p player will decline drastically.

Just watch and await the threads upon threads of complaints in the future.

@CG_Kozispoon please hear this post. This is a big concern to the f2p community of this game.

Many thanks

Boooo
  • @CG_Kozispoon the crystal addition is awesome. Squad Arena on my shard was already being ran like a Mafia Cartel, I kid you not. It was in no way a free for all as you would assume in an arena, it was bend the knee and kiss the ring of other players or get knocked well out of top 50 by a big group of colluding players who don't even attack each other but just hold each other's spots and take turns with a specific guild soaking up so much crystal over all this time. I put effort into my Fleet as it was a game mode NOT like this checkers of Squad arena but one offering more chances for strategy in fleet to fleet combat as in a game of Chess. So while others acted like it was a worthless mode, MANY of us found considerable enjoyment in it.

On my shard, I have the strongest fleet by far. Yet I don't sit there and collude and try and make other players bend the knee or anything. We are respectful and not trying to mess each other up for the most part and it's good fun. Some of us have different payouts and it is a competition, no waiting in line. So those of us stuck on squad arena cartel boss shards are glad to finally have a way to get some crystal at a payout and have a chance to spend on parts we need or refreshes or whatever else. This was a fantastic addition! Well done! The colluding only contributed to an ever widening gap between players so thankfully, we have at least some chance to catch up now.
  • Now it has been several month since the addition of crystals in fleet arena rewards. It is now run like the regular arena. Those in top 20 all decide the winner pre the payout schedule. But they are all whales. And now the whales have turned the pods to fleet arena. I have a strong fleet for f2p but when I get the off chance to rank in the top 20 (only 3 time mind you since the intro) I am swiftly shot down to under the rank of top 50 for my violation into the money. Adding crystals has ruined the f2p aspect of fleet. When it was no crystals it was a great opportunity for f2p to earn the currency and get gear and shards for much needed characters to be competitive on the lower 100 on squad arena. So in short extend the reward at least to top 100 in fleet honestly I have lost interest in the fleet arena now that it is now a mafia like squad arena.
  • I'm F2P. Free crystals for fleet every day is pretty nice.
  • Honestly my only complaint about payouts is that if I do five attacks and win each one I can get to 100 or lower and get...... 50 more tokens and 8k more shipbucks. Alternatively, I can do 2 attacks to ensure I'm under 200 and get basically the same rewards.

I *like* ships. I want to do as much with ships as possible. But even I don't want to be bothered doing those extra couple attacks a day for that little increase in payout...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I kind of agree...I invested early in ships so I've been near or at the top of my shard for a while now, and it's a double edged sword. The crystals are great, but so are the fleet tokens, and it's getting harder every day to get back up to that top spot. Prior to adding crystal rewards, I barely had to fight to maintain my #1 spot and those 1800 tokens. Now I have to battle right up to the end to make it there. And I know it's only going to get worse.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Honestly my only complaint about payouts is that if I do five attacks and win each one I can get to 100 or lower and get...... 50 more tokens and 8k more shipbucks. Alternatively, I can do 2 attacks to ensure I'm under 200 and get basically the same rewards.

I *like* ships. I want to do as much with ships as possible. But even I don't want to be bothered doing those extra couple attacks a day for that little increase in payout...

Sounds to me that you don't really *like* ships if you don't want to be bothered doing 3 extra attacks for what you feel is a paltry increase in reward payout. It's ok to not like something that CG puts out, you're allowed to say it.

If rewards are necessary to compel someone to fully participate in the provided content, maybe someone needs to take a look at how to make the content compelling on its own.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Mctweet wrote: »
    Now it has been several month since the addition of crystals in fleet arena rewards. It is now run like the regular arena. Those in top 20 all decide the winner pre the payout schedule. But they are all whales. And now the whales have turned the pods to fleet arena. I have a strong fleet for f2p but when I get the off chance to rank in the top 20 (only 3 time mind you since the intro) I am swiftly shot down to under the rank of top 50 for my violation into the money. Adding crystals has ruined the f2p aspect of fleet. When it was no crystals it was a great opportunity for f2p to earn the currency and get gear and shards for much needed characters to be competitive on the lower 100 on squad arena. So in short extend the reward at least to top 100 in fleet honestly I have lost interest in the fleet arena now that it is now a mafia like squad arena.

Same here. As a now f2p, I have hit top 20 only 3 times since crystals have been introduced. And I've had 7* Executrix for several weeks.

Somehow they have managed to take a game mode that was only marginally playable as it was and make it even less enjoyable.

I actually enjoyed ships when it was first released, but they have done basically nothing to improve it in a year. The only additional ships are locked behind a paywall. The Thrawn Capital ship event hasn't been repeated and the "whales only" top-heavy crystal pay out structure have made it a bore. I honestly don't understand why you would release a game mode only to let it die on the vine and then sabotage it with a poor payout structure.

Hey, but ship hardware is coming "soon". :)

• Damodamo
    1574 posts Member
    I’m 100% f2p and hit top 3 every single day, sometimes I need a refresh but only one and that’s only on certain days when the whole shard plays and I drop to 17 or so. Don’t view it as hard to play or anything other than my main source of crystals. I’m on a feb 17 shard and it has a mix of whales and non whales, no shard chat that I’m part of, but I take the view of if you want the rewards then you work for them. I run a 7* executrixs and a 350k gp total team, works for me
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    Before the introduction of crystals in the top 20, I was easily sitting in there. Nobody gave a hoot, lol.

Since then and not surprisingly, almost 400k power teams have flooded upwards so those days are rare for me now. I'm cool with that.

The payout system would be better if they had crystals, whatever EA/CG seem fit, down to around the 100-200 mark minimum. So many are now taking this aspect seriously so it would be nice if they spread the crystals lower.

Great topic :smile:
  • snowhut wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Honestly my only complaint about payouts is that if I do five attacks and win each one I can get to 100 or lower and get...... 50 more tokens and 8k more shipbucks. Alternatively, I can do 2 attacks to ensure I'm under 200 and get basically the same rewards.

Sounds to me that you don't really *like* ships if you don't want to be bothered doing 3 extra attacks for what you feel is a paltry increase in reward payout. It's ok to not like something that CG puts out, you're allowed to say it.

No, I like ships--But I also like going outside and I like talking to people and I like cooking my own dinner. I don't need to do 5 attacks a day to get my reward, so I don't do all of them and that leaves me with enough time to go have a life.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Outside? What's that, like a new game mode or something? :D
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Damodamo wrote: »
    I’m 100% f2p and hit top 3 every single day, sometimes I need a refresh but only one and that’s only on certain days when the whole shard plays and I drop to 17 or so. Don’t view it as hard to play or anything other than my main source of crystals. I’m on a feb 17 shard and it has a mix of whales and non whales, no shard chat that I’m part of, but I take the view of if you want the rewards then you work for them. I run a 7* executrixs and a 350k gp total team, works for me

I think therin less the difference. I'm a launch player. Top 20are almost all 425k+. Most were 7* Chimera the day it dropped. Several have switched to 7* whatever their preference.