Star Wars: The Last Jedi Spoiler thread

Replies

• Please explain how you liked TFA and not TLJ.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Please explain how you liked TFA and not TLJ.

TFA has better pacing and a more cohesive story. If I wasn’t a huge sw nerd, I would prefer TFA
  • SithLordB1977
    59 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Its not the worst Star Wars movie, but it is in that thread.

So many flaws, I wouldn't know where to start. I too would want it removed from canon but since Disney owns it all, all I can do is remember the good times... and the REAL SW movies.

I hate to say it but only positive from Disney owned SW is Rebels (mostly) and Rogue 1 (even though they had the most hate-able characters in a SW movie.)

I liked TFA *more* than TLJ, but thats not to say that movie didn't have problems too.
  • LordDirt wrote: »

Plot made since. Character arcs weren’t ridiculous and were interesting. Set up a new big villain that had you wondering more about him. Wasn’t overly noticeable packed with more female characters because sjw **** wanted it. I could go on and on. It’s a perfect film for the casual Star Wars fan that isn’t into the lore and history very much.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Cstone812 wrote: »

Wasn’t overly noticeable packed with more female characters because sjw **** wanted it.

Thank goodness for that! Can you imagine ~women~ in star wars?! The demographics of a film have SUCH a huge effect on the quality of a film. I mean, could you imagine star wars without a single white male in the cast?! What a nightmare! Just wait until they hire a writer or director who isn’t a rich white guy! That’ll be the end of the franchise!! To heck with all of those lame SJWs who promote diversity in a franchise beloved by people from all over the world. Cause Star Wars is for the White Male, nobody else!
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member

Plot made since. Character arcs weren’t ridiculous and were interesting. Set up a new big villain that had you wondering more about him. Wasn’t overly noticeable packed with more female characters because sjw **** wanted it. I could go on and on. It’s a perfect film for the casual Star Wars fan that isn’t into the lore and history very much.

How did TLJ plot not make sense? The last of the Resistance was on the run and the FO was about to finish them off.

Rey went to Luke for help. He was tired of the Jedi and their superiority complex. Rey got what she needed from him by stealing the Jedi books and learning the truth about Kylo Ren.

Kylo Ren killed his master and took his place as the Dark Force leader as it has been done for thousands of years. He saw himself in Rey, as she did in him as well, and he wanted her to rule by his side as has been done for ages.

Rey joins back up with the Resistance and grabs the few that are left and flees into the outer rim.

Now comes episode 9, Kylo Ren is the Supreme Leader and will look to finish the Resistance who are now Rebels off.

Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • A bunch of emotional flawed people making emotional flawed decisions until they all manage to redeem themselves. Horrible story, terrible characters, cringeworthy humor, nice visuals. I'll watch the next one when it's free to stream on Netflix or something.
  • Guys, at the end of the day it's a movie. You either liked it or you didn't. Why do we feel the need to justify ourselves to each other on the internet all day and night about it? If you didn't like it, fine, don't go to the next one or don't buy the special edition blu-ray. If you loved it? Great! Cuddle up with your Porg plushie and dye your hair purple and let's all move on with life, at least until the next one when we can do all this over again.

• DatBoi wrote: »

Wasn’t overly noticeable packed with more female characters because sjw **** wanted it.

Thank goodness for that! Can you imagine ~women~ in star wars?! The demographics of a film have SUCH a huge effect on the quality of a film. I mean, could you imagine star wars without a single white male in the cast?! What a nightmare! Just wait until they hire a writer or director who isn’t a rich white guy! That’ll be the end of the franchise!! To heck with all of those lame SJWs who promote diversity in a franchise beloved by people from all over the world. Cause Star Wars is for the White Male, nobody else!

There’s things to promote diversity and such in...but why Star Wars? It’s ruining something I really enjoy. Female lead and some characters don’t bother me at all Rey isn’t a bad character even if they are making her a Mary Sue. But the horrible added in Asian female character and purple haired admiral were horrible. Sorry bud just my opinion.

How did TLJ plot not make sense? The last of the Resistance was on the run and the FO was about to finish them off.

Rey went to Luke for help. He was tired of the Jedi and their superiority complex. Rey got what she needed from him by stealing the Jedi books and learning the truth about Kylo Ren.

Kylo Ren killed his master and took his place as the Dark Force leader as it has been done for thousands of years. He saw himself in Rey, as she did in him as well, and he wanted her to rule by his side as has been done for ages.

Rey joins back up with the Resistance and grabs the few that are left and flees into the outer rim.

Now comes episode 9, Kylo Ren is the Supreme Leader and will look to finish the Resistance who are now Rebels off.

Everything you just said is why the plot was absolutely horrible. Everything from Luke’s character to Snoke dying from a hidden lightsaber was trash. Omg episode 9 Rey vs Kylo Ren weakest force users of all time which she has already beaten him once let me tell you how excited I am. No mystery to anything anymore couldn’t really care what happens next.

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    DatBoi wrote: »

There’s things to promote diversity and such in...but why Star Wars? It’s ruining something I really enjoy. Female lead and some characters don’t bother me at all Rey isn’t a bad character even if they are making her a Mary Sue. But the horrible added in Asian female character and purple haired admiral were horrible. Sorry bud just my opinion.

I dont care whether or not you liked the characters, it’s your reasoning. How does the gender and ethnicity of a character have any effect on their quality?

Also, why Star Wars? Because the sw universe was always meant to be this incredibly diverse setting where beings from every corner of the galaxy can mingle together and are judged by their ideas and beliefs, not what they look like (unless you’re a droid). If anything, it makes more sense for the human characters to be incredibly diverse than if they weren’t.

Also, the push for more diversity in films is happening precisely because of the ideas you’re communicating. The fact that increased diversity is so obvious to you and has an impact on your perception of the characters points to the social problems at hand. Hopefully our society can get to the point where the idea of diversity is normalized and invisible. Casting is the first step, then behind the camera jobs.

I dont care whether or not you liked the characters, it’s your reasoning. How does the gender and ethnicity of a character have any effect on their quality?

Also, why Star Wars? Because the sw universe was always meant to be this incredibly diverse setting where beings from every corner of the galaxy can mingle together and are judged by their ideas and beliefs, not what they look like (unless you’re a droid). If anything, it makes more sense for the human characters to be incredibly diverse than if they weren’t.

Also, the push for more diversity in films is happening precisely because of the ideas you’re communicating. The fact that increased diversity is so obvious to you and has an impact on your perception of the characters points to the social problems at hand. Hopefully our society can get to the point where the idea of diversity is normalized and invisible. Casting is the first step, then behind the camera jobs.

It just bothers me. Sorry just my opinion. I love Star Wars but not when we try to put political crap into it. Honestly that’s not even my biggest issue with the movie there’s multiple large and small issues I have and this is just one of them. We all have different opinions and the reception to the movie proves that it is probably the worst received Star Wars film so far.
  • ARougeRogue
    250 posts Member
    edited January 2018

It just bothers me. Sorry just my opinion. I love Star Wars but not when we try to put political **** into it. Honestly that’s not even my biggest issue with the movie there’s multiple large and small issues I have and this is just one of them. We all have different opinions and the reception to the movie proves that it is probably the worst received Star Wars film so far.

You probably feel like your beloved franchise is being used to push an agenda of sorts, right? It's okay, I understand how a person can feel that way, but let me tell you why you shouldn't. We don't have to look at it as pushing an agenda, instead we can look at it as Star Wars playing a role in helping people of different backgrounds, races, and genders to gain the visibility they deserve. It's trying to do a good thing for people, and I think that as a Star Wars fan, being able to have something I love bring some degree of balance and fairness to the real world is something I'm behind 100%.
  • Cstone812 wrote: »

It just bothers me. Sorry just my opinion. I love Star Wars but not when we try to put political **** into it. Honestly that’s not even my biggest issue with the movie there’s multiple large and small issues I have and this is just one of them. We all have different opinions and the reception to the movie proves that it is probably the worst received Star Wars film so far.

You probably feel like your beloved franchise is being used to push an agenda of sorts, right? It's okay, I understand how a person can feel that way, but let me tell you why you shouldn't. We don't have to look at it as pushing an agenda, instead we can look at it as Star Wars playing a role in helping people of different backgrounds, races, and genders to gain the visibility they deserve. It's trying to do a good thing for people, and I think that as a Star Wars fan, being able to have something I love bring some degree of balance and fairness to the real world is something I'm behind 100%.

That response makes me absolutely hate Star Wars. Couldn’t disagree with you more. Sorry opinions vary.
  • Cstone812 wrote: »

That response makes me absolutely hate Star Wars. Couldn’t disagree with you more. Sorry opinions vary.

No need to be sorry for your opinions. I can respect that you don't share my views, you're certainly entitled to your own outlook. My only goal was trying to help you come to terms with what's going to happen eventually, whether you like it or not.
  • This was without a doubt my favorite main Star Wars movie yet. Rogue One was also amazing. I wasn’t really a huge fan of TFA. To be honest I’m not in love with any of Episodes 1-7. I didn’t become a huge Star Wars fan until I started reading the books and comics, which are far superior to the original movies IMO. Maybe that’s why I loved Episode 8, because I’m a newer fan who doesn’t have such an emotional attachment to the original trilogy characters.
  • It is possible that the map was created by someone qho knew of Lukes Journey and was purposefully split up to prevent the First Order from finding out where he was
    @Boba_The_Fetter @LordDirt
  • I agree with the OP. This movie, to me (in my own opinion), is poor. Also, the fact that I dislike this film does not make me or anyone else a "fake fan," or "riddled by nostalgia.". Whole that may be the case for some, it's certainly not for all.

This film, like any, shouldn't need too much explanation to understand. I left the theater feeling less emotionally invested in the characters. Based on that reason alone, the movie failed me.

Why did I, as well as many other feel that way? This movie is not cohesive with the previous film. Nearly every single interesting and compelling plot thread had been severed, and the protagonists are left unbelievable and unrelatable-namely Rey and Finn. This could've easily been averted by giving them an emotionally compelling plot line, however they both have been made into plot devices (in my opinion), and the story-or lack thereof- has grown away from them.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member

Is it too much to ask why that is your opinion? What good is an opinion or belief if you can’t back it up with sound reasoning?

Is it too much to ask why that is your opinion? What good is an opinion or belief if you can’t back it up with sound reasoning?

Because I don’t want freaking Star Wars to turn into a diversity filled charity case. There’s other movies we can promote that stuff in
  • DatBoi and Cstone812, SJW stuff in a movie is ok with me, i mean why not? But before that, they should have focused on making a good movie, instead of putting any kind of agenda into the movie. As i see it, the reason many people lash back at any kind of SJW or diversity thing, is because it is done in a way makes it seem unrelated to the forum it is being used in. So you get people who think 'oh no, not more of this', when they see that stuff in movies or whatever, because typically as i said they do it in a way that ruins the viewing experience for them, or they did bad job of making the movie and the viewers tend blame it on the SJW/diversity stuff.

In short, if the movie had been good, i doubt most people would have cared if there was any SJW/diversity agenda in it, in fact they might even have commended it.

But enough about that, wether it is ok or not, to put SJW/diversity stuff in a movie is not what the topic is about (honestly it should not be an issue).
  • DatBoi and Cstone812, SJW stuff in a movie is ok with me, i mean why not? But before that, they should have focused on making a good movie, instead of putting any kind of agenda into the movie. As i see it, the reason many people lash back at any kind of SJW or diversity thing, is because it is done in a way makes it seem unrelated to the forum it is being used in. So you get people who think 'oh no, not more of this', when they see that stuff in movies or whatever, because typically as i said they do it in a way that ruins the viewing experience for them, or they did bad job of making the movie and the viewers tend blame it on the SJW/diversity stuff.

In short, if the movie had been good, i doubt most people would have cared if there was any SJW/diversity agenda in it, in fact they might even have commended it.

But enough about that, wether it is ok or not, to put SJW/diversity stuff in a movie is not what the topic is about (honestly it should not be an issue).

I can agree with that. If I would have actually liked the plot and characters maybe I wouldn’t have cared as much

• My biggest problem with The Last Jedi (other than the casino arc) was that there is no way that Episode 9 can have a coherent plot line to follow this movie. How can the Resistance win when every member practically fits onto the Millenium Falcon, when the FO has endless soldiers and star destroyers? I think that it is pretty obvious that the directors want the Resistance to win, but how? A truce? That's my best guess. The movie made the FO's leadership look pretty weak though. Phasma, unsurprisingly, was useless and was defeated immediately, Snoke was betrayed, Kylo falters along the line between light and dark, and Hux still hasn't done much.
    I also think that the movie should have ended with the Falcon flying off into the distance instead of the cringe-worthy broom boy scene. Child actors are always a bad idea in films.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Tldr; what was your request Op?
  • I don’t even understand this diversity issue. I guess that stuff doesn’t even cross my mind. I never once thought about Poe being black. I didn’t really care for Rose, but never did I attribute it to her being a woman. Star Wars is one of the most diverse environments in existence. I don’t understand how diversity could feel forced whatsoever. What is normal there anyways?
  • scuba wrote: »

Me? For people to wake up and stop their fanboyish OCD to defend this stinker of a movie, and boycot the next star wars movie that comes along, in order to show the movie makers that we will not keep paying to see their movies if they keep this up.
  • scuba wrote: »

Me? For people to wake up and stop their fanboyish OCD to defend this stinker of a movie, and boycot the next star wars movie that comes along, in order to show the movie makers that we will not keep paying to see their movies if they keep this up.

Sounds like a productive use of your time.

• scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    scuba wrote: »

Oh sorry can't help with all that. I will be seeing the next movie and the one after that. I will however not defend nor berate the movie because I always believe to each their own you don't have to enjoy something for others to enjoy it.

But hey there are plenty of movie haters out there for you to team up with. Good luck with that.
  • Leparine
    38 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @GloriusFool

Oh no, not in this forum as well! ok, be it. It´s so funny, this people that are trying over and over again to convince absolutly everyone, that this movie should be hated. I LOVED it xD And you think it´s about Disney or cash-grab destroying your SW? If so, you think they´d do or confim a script that has so much potential to drive fans insane crazy? no no. It´s actually the rare case of an independent-blockbuster-film, because in fact Johnson wrote it comletely alone freakin´ 3 years ago (yes before theories). Little changes were made during approval, because they were amazed that Johnson didn´t come up with Transfomers-mainstream-****, but with something creative and new. You want to rebel against Disney and money-grabbing movies? well, by massively complaining about TLJ, you actually are begging for exactly that mainstream-garbage xD laughing and spitting YOU are, it´s a shame, spare your missionary work. I will not by a ticket for SOLO because that will be that kind of movie you will like, but I´ll buy the Last Jedi Blueray and i will watch Ep.9!!! \o/ ps: Plot holes yeah, Holdo didn´t tell Poe. she´s a military commander, she´d never give secret info to a subordinate, too risky, see? Seriously, everything is fine, it just depends on a "certain point of view" (old ben) Atleast as a huge fan, I have got a new Star Wars movie i love, you don´t. I have the high ground xD
    Post edited by Leparine on
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Can someone list the plot holes in TLJ?
This discussion has been closed.